Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011
Sorry, I didn't read your post.

I'm too busy replying to what I wish you said

:allears:
I pulled the power on an old LCD I'm using as a secondary monitor while it was on and the colors are all swapped after I plugged it back in. Blue is red, red is green and green is blue, roughly. The colors on it weren't particularly good before this event, but this is getting excessive.

Is there some color profile thing that got messed up that I could fix? I didn't see anything glaringly wrong, but I'm not super familiar with it.

Failing that, is there a tool of some kind to tell windows to swap the colors back on that desktop?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

If it's hooked up over VGA chances are it's just a bad cable.

If it's hooked up thru a digital connection you can try a new cable but it's probably toast.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

It is hooked up via VGA, I'll have to see if I have another cable lying around. Never would have even considered that.

Edit: Found another cable, but the colors are still all wonky. Guess it must be something more serious. Hope it isn't the plug on my motherboard or something.

ZombieApostate fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Aug 2, 2020

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

It's for sure a VGA sync issue from somewhere in the chain, could even be on the monitor/scaler end. Color tint almost always means bad copper contact. If you do have analog out from one of your DVI ports (look up what types of DVI there are and then look at your port) it's worth trying that. There's probably an adapter in your video card box, or from the card before that.

In a true moment of classroom computer janitorial I used a brand new pencil eraser to clean the male pins (carefully, not much force or friction) and got this to go away once, but it obviously didn't last. It did identify that end of the wiring as the problem, at least.

ZombieApostate
Mar 13, 2011

I found my DVI adapter and plugged the monitor into my video card instead of my motherboard and now the colors are normal again. I noticed while recalibrating it that there's a hue setting in the Nvidia control panel that might have been able to swap the colors back and now I'm curious if that somehow got messed up, but I don't want to mess with it anymore and break something else. Here's hoping my motherboard doesn't light on fire before I go through with my upgrade plans.

Anyways, thanks for helping me figure out a solution, now I don't have to be creeped out by my background images being strange colors. :tipshat: