Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!
On a mildly related topic, I haven't seen a lot of Chiaki Omigawa around lately, is she doing ok? She has such a unique voice that you can ALWAYS pick out her parts the moment a character opens their mouth. She had a couple of minor roles in 2018 and has disappeared since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Clarste posted:

The ending of the manga isn't great, but there's plenty of other cool stuff between where the anime split off and the manga ending that i'd love to see animated.

Yeah, Soul Eater was good for a long while after the point where the anime diverged, but then it sort of...petered out, IIRC. There's wasn't any really bad plot twist or anything like that, it just got less interesting somehow. I don't remember the details very well, but I think there was a big, drawn out, and somewhat confusing battle on the Moon with lots of black energy blasts being thrown around, and then Crona went off alone and brooded. I mean, this is basically how a lot of shonen battle manga end (although it omitted the flash-forward epilogue where the protagonists are married and have kids), but there was something weirdly anemic about Soul Eater's particular implementation of it.

Nate RFB posted:

I think I go back and forth on all of them.

Wrath: Way better in the manga, the kid in the anime is one of the weakest subplots.
Pride: One of the more memorable manga villains at least in terms of being a cool concept/fight for the heroes to overcome. 2003 is fine but it's hard to say is a better tradeoff from what we got instead with manga Wrath.
Lust: Better in 2003, she's a non-character in the manga.
Gluttony: Basically the same.
Greed: Better in the manga by virture of having an actual arc and lots more to do.
Envy: I think the 2003's take is interesting but ultimately doesn't really land, while the manga's version is more straightforward but I think works really well in the story.
Sloth: I honestly don't really like either, I thought the 2003 version was wholly unnecessary and the manga is a non-character like Lust/Gluttony. At least he had a cool final fight.

I've sometimes thought that Conqueror of Shamballa would have made more sense if they cut the parts with dragon!Envy and had Eckhart turn out to be Envy, since she isn't really a credible large-scale threat; there would be more tension if she was trying to kill Ed and Al personally. But then again, the illogicality of Eckhart's actual motivations (she thinks the Amestris world is a threat to Earth, but also believes she can conquer it basically alone?) mirrors the illogicality of actual fascist thought enough to be thematically fitting, I guess. :umberto:

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 23, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i considered making a higurashi thread but i realized that i'm probably going to end up not wanting to look at the higurashi thread

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

higurashi thread would be awkward because there's four levels of knowledge (vn, old anime, both, and neither) who are all going to want to discuss it differently

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Julias posted:

What a horrible page snipe.

Anyways just a reminder I'm working on the new seasonal thread, so throw your last minute title suggestions in here!
Fall Season 2020: Everything is NEET

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
there's also the manga

old anime's gonna be the real big thing making discussion awkward cause it just chops out so much of the lower key stuff in the first six chapters. gonna be sad if people thinking it's the superior take on the material and that the goofy character stuff they reintroduce in full force in the second season of the old one ruined it takes over all discussion of the new one, i found s1 of the old anime to be a very cold and impassionate adaptation that s2 had to pick up all the pieces after

ultimately i'd like to discuss it in a way that's most comfortable for new viewers of the new show and save my complaints about either adaptation for after it's done airing

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
lowering my vibes twewy-style and running the thread like a coffee shop where i deliver advice via Bernkastel poems to the anime-onlys

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I won't let them be led astray by your tricks...... I will guide them and with our minds put together, we will dismantle the illusion of the Space Flower!!!

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
when you think about it, twewy is a looping VN and Another Day is just the fandisc

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Kibibit posted:

On a mildly related topic, I haven't seen a lot of Chiaki Omigawa around lately, is she doing ok? She has such a unique voice that you can ALWAYS pick out her parts the moment a character opens their mouth. She had a couple of minor roles in 2018 and has disappeared since.
It depends on a buncha things, but also do remember that a lot of actors, even the more successful ones that often get characters designed with their voices in mind and all that jazz still have to audition for roles. Or sometimes they decide to focus on other endeavors because gottapaythembillsboyee. Like Tomokazu Seki (Gilgamesh in Fate stuff, Sousuke in Full Metal Panic) does have recent anime roles, but he's more active nowadays doing variety shows and whatnot.

I think this was posted on the chat thread but you see actors like Yuki Kaji (Todoroki in MHA, Meliodas in Seven Deadly Sins), Aoi Yuuki (Madoka, Futaba in Persona 5) and so on and they have like 10-to-15 significative roles per year and such on the reg? Like Kaji has confessed that for every role he lands, there are probably like 8 or 9 other auditions that he bombs. Also like Endorph posted:

Endorph posted:

Here is the process by which a studio picks which manga to adapt

Company that owns a manga publishing subsidiary that owns a magazine that publishes a manga: we will pay you money to adapt our manga
Anime studio: OH GOD PLEASE
Company: here is seventeen yen and a pack of jalapeno potato chips
Anime studio: bless you, oh wise one!
Even VA's have to be considered when taking into account the budget.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, Soul Eater was good for a long while after the point where the anime diverged, but then it sort of...petered out, IIRC. There's wasn't any really bad plot twist or anything like that, it just got less interesting somehow. I don't remember the details very well, but I think there was a big, drawn out, and somewhat confusing battle on the Moon with lots of black energy blasts being thrown around, and then Crona went off alone and brooded. I mean, this is basically how a lot of shonen battle manga end (although it omitted the flash-forward epilogue where the protagonists are married and have kids), but there was something weirdly anemic about Soul Eater's particular implementation of it.

I'm gonna be honest, I can't really remember almost anything that happened after Medusa died. I mean, the way she died was pretty metal, but without her there didn't feel like there was much else holding the story together to keep it interesting.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The Colonel posted:

old anime's gonna be the real big thing making discussion awkward cause it just chops out so much of the lower key stuff in the first six chapters. gonna be sad if people thinking it's the superior take on the material and that the goofy character stuff they reintroduce in full force in the second season of the old one ruined it takes over all discussion of the new one, i found s1 of the old anime to be a very cold and impassionate adaptation that s2 had to pick up all the pieces after
Is that really the common take? I had thought the second season was a lot better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Is that really the common take? I had thought the second season was a lot better.

there's a significant chunk of people led into higurashi based on how mega violent and gorey s1 is so when it turns out higurashi isn't actually supposed to be a violent slasher story and s2 is directed in a way that's more tonally in line with what it actually is they got disappointed with the ending

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I see, I hadn't played the VN and just thought the first season was tryhardy in a early creepypasta kinda way. Which this being a result of adaptation would explain a lot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the first four episodes of s2 are literally just a bunch of scenes from ch1-6 that they cut that removed tons of context for plot and character motivations/relationships, s1 of the old higu anime is legitimately a disaster that guts the story of any and all depth. like it's kind of baffling how badly it deflates even the drama, i hate it. ch5 in particularly is just like totally destroyed by its changes and cuts, it's this really sad tragic story handled in a way that's almost comically awful with the entire ending that gives it pathos removed

the vns aren't exactly perfect either but the heart that the second season of the old anime has is like. something the vns have way before then. i hate that the form lots of people know higu through is one that lacks almost all of that

s2 also makes it doubly weird cause like. it's... a good adaptation of the ending. it's not a perfect one either but it's transformative in a way that actually works, it has legitimately good ideas for how to animate ch7 and 8 and even its jankier ones make some kind of sense. i wish, the entire anime could have been an adaptation as good as s2 was.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Sep 23, 2020

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Well here's to hoping.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Willo567 posted:

I'm thinking about making a Yashahime thread for the Fall season. Would anyone be interested?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Polsy posted:

Yeah, that sounds likely. MAL partially credits Bouncy for all this stuff actually, though I'm not sure where they got that from since officially they're just credited to [whichever show] Production Committee.

Also Bouncy did literally produce a vtuber thing last year for Yahoo. I guess it didn't really take off.

MAL is sadly very incomplete and slow in adding stuff. I actually did submit Bouncy for a bunch of shows when I did my research for my unmade adlib thread, so there's even a chance they're only on there cause of that

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

e: either I imagined having to make a new account or misremembered because I just switched regions and it showed my .jp purchases so idk where I got that. I could swear I had to make an entirely new account initially but it's been at least over a year since I first did it so who knows lol

When I first made a JP account something like 6 years ago (this was before the option to change the display language even existed) you did have to make a separate account for JP Amazon, despite my one account working on FR/UK/DE/US.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Coyote ragtime was mentioned a few pages back as one of those forgettable shows and I will admit to actually liking it. Sure it kinda ends out of nowhere but it had its moments like the pirate king's heist on the bank. As mentioned before the 12 sisters was a bit eye catching but my favorite thing about them was their theme music.

https://youtu.be/_Eilfm6TThI

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i love the shot in the ragtime op thats basically the naked gun gag with them firing at each other from two feet away

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Hig thread would be good. Just spoiler tag anything that hasn't aired in the new adaptation imo

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'd rather try and fail a Higurashi thread than not try at all because at the end of the day I think Higurashi discussion of any stripe is fun and if even one person finds it fun or gets into it in a way that they would not have otherwise I think it'd be fun.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

OnimaruXLR posted:

Didn't Scar basically go from a bloodthirsty revenge machine to being like "meh, gonna hang out with my undead sister-in-law"?

That's the main thing that sticks with me about 2003, apart from the weird "real world" stuff and melodramatic soap opera stuff with Hohenheim: Roy Mustang, the guy who's supposed to be this driven reformer motivated by a combination of guilt and frustration basically shrugs and gives up, and Scar, the bloodthirsty avenger with the means and motivation to murder the soldiers who enacted a genocide on his people, also does that

No I don't think so? Unless I'm really misremembering. Scar in 2003 is basically literally consumed by revenge in the end, he dies completing the circle to kill everyone in the town. It's Brotherhood where he gets a redemption arc (which is nice and all but I preferred his proud and tragic ending better)

Mustang giving up is only in the sequel movie which is bad

Arist posted:

Saying Brotherhood had cast bloat is insane to me because half the fun of that show is watching their stories intersect.

I liked some of the additional characters, Ling especially, it's mainly Mei that annoys me, since I remember her as basically just holding the idiot ball and loving things up over and over again.

The Black Stones posted:

Arakawa had a very definitive theme right from the get go in my eyes and that was “self-sacrifice is bad no matter the reason” and you can see in Brotherhood/The Manga how she carries that all the way through and it’s super well done. 2003 tosses that all into the trash, so I would be very specific on my complaints but I can only give the broad strokes because I haven’t watched 2003 FMA anymore because I didn’t like it that much.

I don't think so, given self sacrifice is how they beat both Father and Bradley in the end. I think FMA:B's theme is more something about being willing to give up control. The antagonist wants to live forever through his control of entire countries, the protagonist gives up his power of alchemy to save his friends.

2003's theme is similar in that respect, the protagonists represent the idea of progress, contrasted with an idea of alchemy that is essentially conservative - so the antagonists are all just revived dead people, or immortals, or haunted by past mistakes, while the good guys learn to accept change and move forwards. Hence we start with the mantra about equivalent exchange, that in the end becomes the recognition that this is not an universal law, that just as you can get something less than you wanted than the price you paid, you can also get something more.

EDIT: I think Soul Eater's anime ending would have been perfectly fine if it was less rushed and had more foreshadowing. The idea that the real way to defeat the personification of fear is not through a special weapon or technique but instead by nevertheless having courage when defeat seems certain is a good and thematic way to end things, better than (manga spoilers) a boob joke anyway.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Sep 23, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Does Mei really gently caress things up that much? Like I guess she saves Scar a couple of times when she was thinking he was the good guy but I don't think that really counts.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Does Mei really gently caress things up that much? Like I guess she saves Scar a couple of times when she was thinking he was the good guy but I don't think that really counts.

There's that, but releasing Envy from the jar is the one that most sticks in my memory. Looking at the wiki, there's also her trying to 1v1 the end boss (it doesn't work obviously), and causing Al's (temporary) death when he had to shield her with his body in the final battle.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 23, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

may releasing envy does literally nothing to impede the heroes and just gives mustang a chance to get revenge for hughes. the others arent really their fault. she also helps al trade to get ed's arm back.

like idk, i think a character making a bad call based on their personality and morals isn't 'being handed the idiot ball' and her releasing envy serves an obvious character arc purpose. like imagine if she didnt release them, would envy just be sitting in the jar for the rest of time?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Endorph posted:

may releasing envy does literally nothing to impede the heroes and just gives mustang a chance to get revenge for hughes. the others arent really their fault. she also helps al trade to get ed's arm back.

like idk, i think a character making a bad call based on their personality and morals isn't 'being handed the idiot ball' and her releasing envy serves an obvious character arc purpose. like imagine if she didnt release them, would envy just be sitting in the jar for the rest of time?

Maybe it didn't amount to much in the end, but it just annoyed me when I was watching it. They went to all that lengths to get Envy weakened and sealed off and this dumb kid is just going to let herself be manipulated by him? In the last few arcs Mei just seems to stop making any active decisions, except ones that end up causing trouble for the protagonists. There's certainly no character development for her. I'm not saying Mei is a Bad Person, I'm saying she looks more and more like a pure plot contrivance. That's what I meant by "holding the idiot ball".

Fangz fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Sep 23, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Fangz posted:

There's that, but releasing Envy from the jar is the one that most sticks in my memory. Looking at the wiki, there's also her trying to 1v1 the end boss (it doesn't work obviously), and causing Al's (temporary) death when he had to shield her with his body in the final battle.

I mean isn't she one of the characters that does better against Father since she doesn't use Amestrian alchemy? Yeah she still doesn't really do much to him before Hohenheim completes his big plan but she does better than most of the other characters.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean isn't she one of the characters that does better against Father since she doesn't use Amestrian alchemy? Yeah she still doesn't really do much to him before Hohenheim completes his big plan but she does better than most of the other characters.

No, it's an effortless beatdown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lgJZKvHcD0

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

The part i'm talking about happens after that i'm pretty sure. They do that whole setup when everyone first meets Father about how her alchemy still works against him and I think it comes up again. Hell, I think even in that clip the reason why she's fighting Father is because she's the only one that can do anything because he'd just passively nullify everyone else's alchemy.

Like, Father kinda kicks everyone's rear end before Hohenheim does his stuff.

E: I mean not to say she's super competent or anything in that final arc. But it's not like she just cowers for the whole last fight.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Sep 23, 2020

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The part i'm talking about happens after that i'm pretty sure. They do that whole setup when everyone first meets Father about how her alchemy still works against him and I think it comes up again. Hell, I think even in that clip the reason why she's fighting Father is because she's the only one that can do anything because he'd just passively nullify everyone else's alchemy.

Like, Father kinda kicks everyone's rear end before Hohenheim does his stuff.

Well, in the part I'm talking about everyone's just trying to (wisely) escape, except Mei leeroy jenkins that poo poo and has to be rescued, and this ends up causing Father being able to able to activate the nationwide circle. There's a brief bit after that where Mei fights Father alone, sure, but it's really Scar's dudes that does everything to remove Father's control.

Anyway, it's been a bazillion years so my memory isn't great. I just thought Mei was my least favourite character in an otherwise great show. Her role could easily have been parceled out between the other characters and it'd have been better IMO. Like, I dunno, have Riza fight Father alone on the basis of "well, alchemy is gone but I STILL HAVE GUNS." Have Alphonse get hurt shielding Ed. Etc etc etc

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 23, 2020

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I just read the chapter and after defeating May he immediately turns around and defeats Izumi and Mustang too, while explaining how nobody can escape because he is a God. Unless the anime changed things up I don't think she performed especially badly or anything.

Anyway, I don't think May was anyone's favourite character but I think that's more because she doesn't really have a whole lot going on in the end and can feel pretty one-note. Not because she's a big failure or anything.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

All this talk about Soul Eater has me worried again that Fire Force is gonna go further down the same path. :sigh:

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like the trend for big shonen stuff has been to just wait to adapt and have breaks between seasons rather than have filler or original content. That's what's going on with MHA, Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan for example. So I'd be less worried about that in this day and age

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GorfZaplen posted:

I feel like the trend for big shonen stuff has been to just wait to adapt and have breaks between seasons rather than have filler or original content. That's what's going on with MHA, Demon Slayer, Attack on Titan for example. So I'd be less worried about that in this day and age

I imagine it's also a much better return on investment because they can just keep on making it over several projects, rather than forcing an arbitrary ending and potentially having dozens or hundreds of chapters follow that could've turned into blu-ray sales and viewer numbers.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Fangz posted:

I don't think so, given self sacrifice is how they beat both Father and Bradley in the end. I think FMA:B's theme is more something about being willing to give up control. The antagonist wants to live forever through his control of entire countries, the protagonist gives up his power of alchemy to save his friends.

I’d highly disagree with that reading. Ed gives up his power of alchemy which they realized was actually a destructive power in the way they had been using it. Because their alchemy had been using life for life. That’s bad! Ed doesn’t give anything of himself in order to defeat the enemy or to bring Al back to normal. It’s why they refuse to use the philosopher’s stone to return themselves to normal because they realize that the power was born from the sacrifice of others. FMA is all about how something born from the sacrifice of others will be tainted no matter how good your intentions are. Yes Al does break this rule once, and I need to give the series a rewatch to confirm this, but I’m pretty it’s couched in a “I know Ed is going to fix this in the end so It’s not a sacrifice” kind of way.

2003 screws up this running theme by having Ed and Al literally one up themselves trying to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the other because the plot literally forces them to do it with super bad results. You could argue that it’s showing that “hey it’s still showing that bad things happen” but I think it really ignored a strong theme I had connected with.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Robviously posted:

All this talk about Soul Eater has me worried again that Fire Force is gonna go further down the same path. :sigh:
its definitely not gonna go down the same path

there were 42 chapters of soul eater when the soul eater anime started airing. the anime started diverging around the material of chapter 32ish. the manga ended at chapter 110.

there were 137 chapters of fire force when the anime started airing. the anime is currently adapting material from the mid 120s. the manga is currently at chapter 237. the current season of the anime will probably end at about chapter 151, if i had to take a guess. so about 70 chapters a year. the manga releases 50ish chapters a year, since its in weekly shonen jump. they have about 100 chapters of lead.

at the pace they're going at itll take them about five years to actually catch up to the manga, and that's only if the manga keeps running for that long.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Sep 23, 2020

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

I was talking more about how the manga just kind of fizzled out at the end. There was a lot of cool stuff in the Soul Eater manga but they really didn't stick the landing. Fire Force is doing a lot of good work in the manga right now and I hope it ends on more of a high. The fact that their fine adapting a season at a time makes me believe that it'll get a last season just as or after the manga is all over, so I'm not worried about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ah, yeah. To be fair, Soul Eater seems like a case of 'got told to can it since it wasn't selling as well as it used to.' Fire Force is still holding steady and will have a new anime season every year to generate interest.