Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I liked the anime original ending for Soul Eater more than the manga's end. That had the city turn into a mecha. :kamina:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just a quick correction: Fire Force runs in Weekly Shonen Magazine from Kodansha (where Fairy Tail used to run). But yeah, Endorph's pretty much right on the money how the Fire Force anime is being handled by the magazine + production committee.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
another quick correction: mei owns

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

The Black Stones posted:

I’d highly disagree with that reading. Ed gives up his power of alchemy which they realized was actually a destructive power in the way they had been using it. Because their alchemy had been using life for life. That’s bad! Ed doesn’t give anything of himself in order to defeat the enemy or to bring Al back to normal. It’s why they refuse to use the philosopher’s stone to return themselves to normal because they realize that the power was born from the sacrifice of others. FMA is all about how something born from the sacrifice of others will be tainted no matter how good your intentions are. Yes Al does break this rule once, and I need to give the series a rewatch to confirm this, but I’m pretty it’s couched in a “I know Ed is going to fix this in the end so It’s not a sacrifice” kind of way.

2003 screws up this running theme by having Ed and Al literally one up themselves trying to sacrifice themselves for the sake of the other because the plot literally forces them to do it with super bad results. You could argue that it’s showing that “hey it’s still showing that bad things happen” but I think it really ignored a strong theme I had connected with.

I think there's a pretty large distinction in the show between sacrificing oneself (like the good guys do) and sacrificing other people for yourself (like the bad guys do). I don't think making the claim that Ed giving up alchemy is not a sacrifice really makes sense, it's not like they get rid of alchemy in the end. Ed is giving up everything that formed his identity, and alchemy was not entirely a bad thing for him. The fact that it's implied he can rebuild himself afterwards doesn't make it not a sacrifice.

But I wasn't just talking about Ed, I was talking about stuff like Greed's self sacrifice to remove Father's shield, Fu running at Bradley with a literal suicide bomber belt, Kimblee taking down Pride from inside him (while decrying Pride for being so fixated on living that he would sacrifice his values).

I'm not sure if I can identify any examples of heroic self sacrifice within the show that is actually bad. I mean the protagonists end up horribly maiming themselves at the start, but it's not like they meant to! It was a total accident, while the one bit of intentional self-sacrifice Ed did (to seal Alphonse's soul within his armour) was objectively a *good* thing to do.

The actual intended theme of FMAB seems very blatant in the conversation with Truth at the end. I mean the character is literally called Truth.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Sep 24, 2020

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I'm glad arslan is still running so i can get SOME kind of arakawa fix now that silver spoon is over. And it doubles as a Yoshiki Tanaka fix, which is also good, because they're taking their sweet time doing more of the IG version of LOGH!

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Fangz posted:

The actual intended theme of FMAB seems very blatant in the conversation with Truth at the end. I mean the character is literally called Truth.

It's funny how different Truth is in 2003. Or rather, 2003 Truth probably isn't really Truth. When he claims to be "Truth, or God, or the World," he's almost certainly lying; while we don't learn what he actually is, he seems to be some kind of evil demon trapped inside the Gate who finds it amusing to torment humans who make contact with him. Whereas by the end of the manga it seems like we're supposed to see Truth as a benevolent trickster god teaching Ed a valuable moral lesson. We also get a science-y handwave explanation for what Truth is (Gaia theory!), which is something the manga does a lot with things that are more magical in 2003 (e.g., alchemy is powered by geothermal energy, not the deaths of people in our world).

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Sep 24, 2020

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Missed forgotten series chat. UN-GO is good, but does anyone remember Ben-to?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Xelkelvos posted:

I definitely see it get mentioned once or twice a year. At least it's kind of a memorable premise.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Xelkelvos posted:

Yeah, that one was dumb fun too for the most part :allears:. Except for that one episode that was complete :yikes: with a secondary character.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
I feel it isn't as "forgotten" but Devil Is A Part-Timer is still pretty dang good and also still needs a second season.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

sorting my anilist by popularity, devil is a part timer is almost as forgotten as gurren lagann or cowboy bebop. someone please save these shows from obscurity

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Black Mage Knight posted:

I feel it isn't as "forgotten" but Devil Is A Part-Timer is still pretty dang good and also still needs a second season.

It honestly really doesn't. From everything I've heard, the novels get pretty lovely. They basically run out of ideas and go full hog into the boring fantasy world part.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/NXOnNetflix/status/1309281462647238658?s=20

Yooooooooooooo

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is there a better semi-forgotten (I assume) comedy about a clusterfuck of misunderstandings and false assumptions than Gamers?

If so, please tell me so I can go watch it :shepface:.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Waffleman_ posted:

It honestly really doesn't. From everything I've heard, the novels get pretty lovely. They basically run out of ideas and go full hog into the boring fantasy world part.

Honestly, they should still make a 2nd season and just ignore the novels. I don't know how close the manga follows it but if it does, the fantasy part is the most boring part of it all.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
gamers is incredible for being an anime about video games where people will talk about everything except the video games part

i think that show literally only starts making relevant video game jokes in the last episode and it's entirely jokes about mobage. wonder what video games the author got into as an adult

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

the tv anime i've watched with the lowest anilist popularity is GA: Geijutsuka Art Design Class so thats a better example of a forgotten anime. and its good too

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the least popular thing i've ever watched is megami tengoku, but the least popular 2000s anime i've ever watched is probably kashimashi. which, uh... it's... okay? it's got a couple mildly weird jokes but it's also a yuri anime with gender stuff that treats it in a vaguely interesting way, ends with the main character being asked about whether they'd ever change back into a boy and them saying "nah i'm comfortable with who i am", and it has at least three actually funny jokes

the second least popular thing i'd rec to people on basis of it being sorta interesting and short enough that it doesn't outstay its welcome is aoi umi no tristia, and then the third least popular thing i've watched is ice. it's probably actually cosmos pink shock but i want to mention ice more because i need to remind myself i actually watched ice

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Sep 25, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wait nvm the most forgotten 2000s anime i've watched is actually mushiuta. mushiuta kinda rules, weird bug anime with a bizarre sense of humor and comic timing

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

this is the least popular thing i watched

https://anilist.co/anime/103505/Sugio-Mori-de-Koi-wo-Shite/

it was ok. all the bad locke ovas are similarly unpopular but there's some good stuff down there too like the second geobreeders ova

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

this is the least popular thing i watched

https://anilist.co/anime/103505/Sugio-Mori-de-Koi-wo-Shite/

it was ok. all the bad locke ovas are similarly unpopular but there's some good stuff down there too like the second geobreeders ova

Geobreeders for the drat win

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Geobreeders is in my top 3 manga wishlist with Kamui-den and Kyomu Senki

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Number 4 and Number 5 are Kouya no Shonen Isamu and Game Center Arashi

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

quote:

A few years back, Ito Akihiro got sick and was forced to abandon Geobreeders and Wilderness, his manga tribute to Robert Rodriguez. Apparently this illness was so bad he's lost the use of his write hand and his current book, Able, is done all left handed on the computer.

Jesus Christ

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The least popular thing I watched was your favorite anime. Gottem.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I feel like becoming too sick to.draw is the most depressing way to end a comic. And as someone who really finds joy in drawing it terrifies me deeply

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Probably my favorite show that I never see anyone mention is Shigofumi. Even Windy Tales gets mentioned every once in a blue moon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

gamers is incredible for being an anime about video games where people will talk about everything except the video games part

i think that show literally only starts making relevant video game jokes in the last episode and it's entirely jokes about mobage. wonder what video games the author got into as an adult
i like the genshiken ops where they time kof footage to the song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmu35vQDOXs

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

GorfZaplen posted:

I feel like becoming too sick to.draw is the most depressing way to end a comic. And as someone who really finds joy in drawing it terrifies me deeply
not to make the thread too much of a downer but theres a jp hard sci-fi novel author who got in a car accident and took damage to his brain that made him unable to like, remember complex math equations or science facts as much anymore

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/uzakichan_asobi/status/1309493105805189124?s=20

Season 2

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

please spare us

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Sugoi

Each episode will be a tourism advert for a different region of Japan.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

sinky posted:

Sugoi

Each episode will be a tourism advert for a different region of Japan.

I'm ok with this

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Hell

YES

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I really enjoy this stupid show and am nothing but happy it's getting another cour :peanut:.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remind me again how this show differs from other season long romcoms? I need a hook.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Grouchio posted:

Remind me again how this show differs from other season long romcoms? I need a hook.
her tits are especially huge

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

*ahem*, they're sugoi dekai

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I was wondering when all the villainess isekai adaptations were going to be announced and then I remembered that the bakarina juggernaut only aired a season ago nice but where are all the gyaru romcom adaptations lately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

her tits are especially huge
You should know I am an rear end man. If she doesn't have one to back up her rack, then they look out of place. :colbert:

It's why Stella from Failed Knight falls flat.