Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Vahtooch posted:

Millionaire Detective was a pretty fun ride all up. Did meander a bit through the middle, but had a kicking soundtrack and the post credit scene of him going full batman was great.

I binged it across two days, and while I did like the first half's episodic stuff more, I can't think of a better ending than the fact that he lets him fall off the bridge again. I love a good bookend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Tales of Woe posted:

Deca-Dence - the first five eps of this are very good and clever and then it felt like it kinda coasted the rest of the way and stopped taking as good advantage of its high concept twist. still a fun show but not the all-timer i thought it was gonna be during the first arc

this is more or less how i felt too. really strong opening, the middle was fine but put the show in a position where it really needed to stick the landing really hard and it didn't really, so now looking back i'm just kinda like "meh, that was neat"

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Anime I watched this season, in no particular order:

Re:Zero: Have to admit that I'm kind of struggling to make sense of the plot at this point, there are so many moving parts that it's sometimes hard to keep track of it all. Definitely the most ambitious arc to date, and it does do a great job of making Subaru's situation seem absolutely hopeless, if nothing else. Despite the brisk pacing also manages to make time for more character-driven scenes, which continue to be the series' strong point.

Deca-Dence: Lovely art and animation, and a great pair of main characters, but didn't have any real narrative aces left up its sleeve after the episode 2 twist, and spent most of its second half moving along a fairly predictable path. Definitely a great series, and I don't regret watching it to the end at all, but I don't think many people will remember Deca-Dence a decade hence.

Oregairu: Good ending to a good series, with clever and insightful writing that is a cut above the average LN prose. I'd complain about best girl losing in the end, but so much time is spent slowly and methodically dismantling the growing harem time-bomb that the conclusion still felt well-considered and sincere.

Teibou: Definitely improved after the first couple of episodes. In its best moments, reminded me of Yama no Susume, with its leisurely pace, its obviously enthusiasm for its subject, and the dynamic between its two leads. Never reaches the heights (haha) of YnS, but still an enjoyable little show.

Rent-a-Girlfriend: Swings wildly between horny cringe comedy and more serious romantic comedy, never quite managing to settle on one or the other. Not great by any measure, but it does manage to be more compelling than the premise would suggest. Might stick around for the second season.

Railgun: Kind of a mess plot-wise (Indian Poker especially ended up going absolutely nowhere), but the characters were fun and the fights were cool, and really, that's all I want from a Railgun season.

Uzaki-chan: A dumb and inoffensive series that was somehow the center of a short-lived controversy. In retrospect, it's too bland and mediocre to get worked up about one way or the other.

Going to use the break between seasons to catch up on Great Pretender, which I watched until the end of the painting arc.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
decadence was fun but didn't really expand through any character arcs past the 'gruff father figure' dynamic. kind of feels like a straightforward movie split up into anime eps

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I enjoyed Deca-dence specifically because it went exactly where I was hoping it would go without introducing any last minute twists. It's nice to just have a show where the main character is a nice person who rebels against a corrupt system and wins. :unsmith:

I dropped God of High School four episodes in when it just devolved into nonsensical superpowered fights with minimal plot and paper-thin characters, and Great Pretender midway through the second arc because I didn't find any of the main cast compelling.

Nothing else was interesting except Railgun, but I haven't finished s02 yet.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Sep 28, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Lemon-Lime posted:

I enjoyed Deca-dence specifically because it went exactly where I was hoping it would go without introducing any last minute twists. It's nice to just have a show where the main character is a nice person who rebels against a corrupt system and wins. :unsmith:

Something I think they could've done to make the ending work a little cleaner is getting the Gears involved with repairing the damage to the Tank, just to make it more readily apparent they're as gung-ho for doing anything in Deca-Dence, not just combat.

I still thoroughly enjoyed it overall though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
lmao @ GOHS. I can't remember the last time I saw a show that had so obviously picked the wrong character to be the protagonist. It's honestly pretty amazing how much they could have improved it by removing the main trio altogether and focusing on the main plot of Ilpyo and Taek's rivalry.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I see we got the Mori = Sun Wukong reveal

kirtar fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 28, 2020

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Darth Walrus posted:

lmao @ GOHS. I can't remember the last time I saw a show that had so obviously picked the wrong character to be the protagonist. It's honestly pretty amazing how much they could have improved it by removing the main trio altogether and focusing on the main plot of Ilpyo and Taek's rivalry.
IIRC Ilpyo fades rapidly in importance over the next couple of arcs and his friends barely show up at all, so that would be a completely different story.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

IIRC Ilpyo fades rapidly in importance over the next couple of arcs and his friends barely show up at all, so that would be a completely different story.

You're not exactly doing much to convince me that the story is anything other than a hideous structural mess here. Like, the main characters genuinely did nothing to justify their prominence in this arc. They just took screentime (and big payoff hero moments) away from the people who were actually at the narrative and emotional core of what was going down.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG
I wish GOHS just stuck to the martial arts tournament, developped cast more and didn't go full Nuclear War of Gods. Or didn't try to fit over 100 chapters in just 13 episodes.

iirc it was the same problem with Tower of God, where they cut or changed a lot of content from the webtoon, which didn't really improve the series in any way. I guess adapting webtoons does need some cuts but they overdid it a bit. How does it work anyway, who's responsible for the decisions about cuts or how long the series will run?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

macabresca posted:

How does it work anyway, who's responsible for the decisions about cuts or how long the series will run?

Any number of people with any number of possibilities. The series length is usually a firm thing that's decided on early since time slots have to be reserved and things need to get scheduled and so on. It's typically up to the Director as to how closely to adapt something and how much of it, though the other companies in the committee might have a say and demand some part or another be reached or included. The original creator is also there too but since they're not a moneyed interest in the project any say they have its considered more out of respect for them and their work and sometimes for the company that publishes their work. But otherwise any story constraints are decided by the committee and the Director figures out how to structure the adaptation within those constraints. Any remaining gaps are up to the storyboarders and the individual episode writer to actually flesh out the directoral vision.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

macabresca posted:

I wish GOHS just stuck to the martial arts tournament, developped cast more and didn't go full Nuclear War of Gods. Or didn't try to fit over 100 chapters in just 13 episodes.

iirc it was the same problem with Tower of God, where they cut or changed a lot of content from the webtoon, which didn't really improve the series in any way. I guess adapting webtoons does need some cuts but they overdid it a bit. How does it work anyway, who's responsible for the decisions about cuts or how long the series will run?

I've seen a few too many folks say 'no, the original was also this dumb and incoherent' to instantly believe that the adaptation was the main problem with GOHS. That said, did the manhwa actually do anything more in its first arc to relieve the impression that we'd arrived halfway through the story, we were only getting half the story, and the protagonists were stealing all the emotional payoff from a story they had barely any connection to?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
The secret to GoH is that if you see someone's backstory revealed, they're jobbing within the next half hour.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

macabresca posted:

What was missing from Tower of God? As someone who read that part of the manhwa over 5 years ago they got all the big moments that I remembered.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Tower of God feels a lot more like a complete show, whereas GoHS feels like it's missing about half a season of our main cast changing out and interacting with the jobbers who they presented as major characters.

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.
GoHS, the webtoon, gives you a taste of the secondary fighters, just enough to get you interested in seeing more of them, and then after they job drops them from the story and never follows up on them again. It's more interested in all the magical god stuff.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Buzzsaw Roomba posted:

GoHS, the webtoon, gives you a taste of the secondary fighters, just enough to get you interested in seeing more of them, and then after they job drops them from the story and never follows up on them again. It's more interested in all the magical god stuff.

What does it do with Ilpyo and Taek's story, though? Because like I said, it seems like their rivalry (and the background clash between massive ancient conspiracies that got derailed by said rivalry and the collateral damage it caused) was the main story of this first season, but we only got it as a string of events without much context because we were following a completely different group of people who had very little to do with it all and just stood around looking baffled until someone took a swing at them.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
edit: Man I read that post badly

I guess I'm confused about why you think Ilpyo and Taek were the main story since they only showed up in the last third of the arc.

It's worth noting that I think the anime actually gave a little more time to Ilpyo than the comic did. The way I remember it in the comic Jin Mori just crushes Taek at the end by himself without the other 3 getting back up to help.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Sep 29, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Because Ilpyo was the holder of the key that the whole tournament was about discovering, Taek was the main agent of the cult trying to disrupt the tournament (until he betrayed them for his own ambitions), the subplot with the rich kid and his maid gave one of the tournament organisers a reason to become personally invested in Ilpyo's grudge against Taek and alter his plans to help him, and because the entire final battle that the whole series built up to ended up being about their rivalry. Mori, by contrast, was just a dude with superpowers who got dragged into the whole thing because Ilpyo's master (who the cult had targeted) was also his adoptive grandfather, and ended up beating up Taek on behalf of Ilpyo and his friends (before letting the two rivals have a final heart-to-heart before Taek died). Every single development of any significance in the story was tied in some way to those two guys and the factions backing them, which is why it was so bizarre that we spent so much screentime with a bunch of largely irrelevant bozos instead while the main plot kept banging at the windows screaming to come in.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I'm not sure how I could articulate this thought in a way that wouldn't make me seem like an idiot, but I feel like God of High School's failure for me is the complete lack of "logic" in the fights.

Not to sound like an advocate for literal power levels, but as a viewer it's impossible to have any gauge whatsoever for the relative strength between combatants, and the result is an absence of any tension whatsoever. There's no "overcoming the odds" or "turning the tables" or anything you'd be familiar with from other manga, just endless random slapping back and forth, where the outcome seems to be determined by the roll of dice.

How am I supposed to know where things stand in a battle between a fire-breathing dragon and a giant shark mouth, anyway? Nobody in this show ever gets burns, and if someone loses a limb, they'll just have a conveniently timed deus ex flashback where it's revealed they were hiding the ability to regenerate.

It's like watching 5-year-old kids with their He-Man figures trying to one-up each other with absurd asspulls, until "my guy just opened his third eye, and unleashed the power to throw planets!!" finally comes around, and the fight is "over" for today.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Erg posted:

What was missing from Tower of God? As someone who read that part of the manhwa over 5 years ago they got all the big moments that I remembered.

I think they kept all the big moments, but they definitely cut a fair number of little moments, in ways that sometimes mess up the atmosphere a bit early on. The early chapters make Headon, Rachel, and even Baam seem rather sinister, but this doesn’t really come across in the first episode, because they cut out little things like Baam mentioning that Rachel sometimes lies to him, some of the other characters’ reactions to some of Baam’s more reckless actions, and some of the back-and-forth between Headon and Yuri.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

darkgray posted:

I'm not sure how I could articulate this thought in a way that wouldn't make me seem like an idiot, but I feel like God of High School's failure for me is the complete lack of "logic" in the fights.

Not to sound like an advocate for literal power levels, but as a viewer it's impossible to have any gauge whatsoever for the relative strength between combatants, and the result is an absence of any tension whatsoever. There's no "overcoming the odds" or "turning the tables" or anything you'd be familiar with from other manga, just endless random slapping back and forth, where the outcome seems to be determined by the roll of dice.

How am I supposed to know where things stand in a battle between a fire-breathing dragon and a giant shark mouth, anyway? Nobody in this show ever gets burns, and if someone loses a limb, they'll just have a conveniently timed deus ex flashback where it's revealed they were hiding the ability to regenerate.

It's like watching 5-year-old kids with their He-Man figures trying to one-up each other with absurd asspulls, until "my guy just opened his third eye, and unleashed the power to throw planets!!" finally comes around, and the fight is "over" for today.

I think that a big part of the problem is that powers that wild and disparate require characterisation to ground them and let you know who deserves to win. A clever character will use traps and misdirection. A ruthless character will use psychological warfare, hostages, and other dirty tricks. A courageous character will just power through poo poo on the strength of their iron will. The fight plays out as an argument between two different perspectives, letting a smart character beat a dumb one or a hero beat a coward. Ideally, their powers will reflect their personalities (or serve as an ironic contrast to them), giving you an understanding of what a particular character is bringing to the table in terms of their mindset.

This is where GOHS's minimalist characterisation really screws it over. We know, for instance, that Taek is ruthless and power-hungry, because his powers and screentime show that, but the story doesn't dwell nearly enough on the depths of his cruelty and greed and the wellspring they draw from to show us why he deserved to claw his way to godhood. Without that, he just comes across as an entitled rear end in a top hat who lucked into ever-escalating superpowers and became the final boss because the show needs a final boss.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I think they kept all the big moments, but they definitely cut a fair number of little moments, in ways that sometimes mess up the atmosphere a bit early on. The early chapters make Headon, Rachel, and even Baam seem rather sinister, but this doesn’t really come across in the first episode, because they cut out little things like Baam mentioning that Rachel sometimes lies to him, some of the other characters’ reactions to some of Baam’s more reckless actions, and some of the back-and-forth between Headon and Yuri.
Rachel still came across as pretty sinister even before the bit at the end, but Baam is just too innocent for words.

macabresca
Jan 26, 2019

I WANNA HUG

Xelkelvos posted:

Any number of people with any number of possibilities. The series length is usually a firm thing that's decided on early since time slots have to be reserved and things need to get scheduled and so on. It's typically up to the Director as to how closely to adapt something and how much of it, though the other companies in the committee might have a say and demand some part or another be reached or included. The original creator is also there too but since they're not a moneyed interest in the project any say they have its considered more out of respect for them and their work and sometimes for the company that publishes their work. But otherwise any story constraints are decided by the committee and the Director figures out how to structure the adaptation within those constraints. Any remaining gaps are up to the storyboarders and the individual episode writer to actually flesh out the directoral vision.

So it's accidental that both ToG and GoHS have similar approach to adapting the original, i.e. cramming as much as possible into the runtime they have? I thought maybe Crunchyroll had some say in it.

Granted, I haven't read neither of the webtoons, maybe they are really lovely and it was the only way to salvage the material. It's just surprising, considering the majority of anime adapted from manga I know is maybe even too faithful. Both of these webtoons have over 400 chapters, if they were a manga that would be freaking 6 seasons of anime

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

crunchyroll led the committee for both those shows so they were basically calling the shots on series length and scope. i assume that's the whole purpose of their sudden shift to webtoon adaptations is they can't get a seat at the table for actual shonen anime so they wanted something that they could be in charge of but was still marketable as that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they also tend to ahve a habit of going for stuff thats not necessarily huge in japan but is popular overseas. my understanding is shield hero was only somewhat popular in japan but was very successful on western unofficial translation sites, for instance.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Wasn't it more or less the same for Goblin Slayer in that the manga/novels had some popularity, but it wasn't until western readers got ahold of unofficial manga scans that it started making waves?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Wark Say posted:

Wasn't it more or less the same for Goblin Slayer in that the manga/novels had some popularity, but it wasn't until western readers got ahold of unofficial manga scans that it started making waves?
No it has the same small group of chuds in both countries, a good 90% of their /tg/ posters in both.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Tons of normies love goblin slayer. Not really a chud only thing

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In the same way that "tons" of "normies" liked the Hills Have Eyes remake I guess.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Turns out a lot of people aren't particularly critical of the text and subtext of the material they consume one way or another, very shocking I know.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Even beyond the text you have a pretty skewed point of "normies" if you think most people wouldn't be turned off by your first episode being rape porn.

Even with poo poo like Game of Thrones marketted as being edgy the rape isn't explicitly and obviously framed to be wank material the way it is in Goblin Slayer.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Rapey monsters/bandits is a crappy trope but it's not at all uncommon in popular media. Tons of stuff at least pokes at it (Konosuba has a whole character largely dedicated to it).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
any person who likes goblin slayer and is actually a weirdo is going to give you more cues into that than the fact that they watch goblin slayer. how they feel about one moderately popular anime has almost literally nothing to do with it and moral posturing about it is completely loving pointless

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's just as stupid as saying Girl's Last Tour is chud poo poo because a bunch of reactionaries have avatars of it on twitter lol

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Alright I'll go back to not judging people for talking about how much they love God's Not Dead.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I actually watched Goblin Slayer last year. It's an amazing show to watch while getting plastered + with your bandmates. Mind you, all I can legit remember is the drummer saying "Wow, the guild lady is hella cute!" (technically something like "¡Guau! ¡La chava del gremio está bien chula!" but y'know, localizing it for you peeps) and discovering an amazing flavor of popcorn that seems like it's been since discontinued here in Mexico, which is some bullshit :mad:

e: The melodeath bandmates, just to be clear (currently in 3 bands).

Wark Say fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Sep 30, 2020

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I thought Goblin slayer was fine?

What's the problem with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

some people feel as if it uses rape in a very clumsy way or that the evil monster race invokes racist imagery or thought patterns intentionally or otherwise. this also describes half of all fantasy ever made so im not sure why people act like goblin slayer is given out at trump rallies instead of just being a bad show.