Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

poo poo I'm watching:

Deca-dence is a no-brainer for my favorite premiere of the season. Yuzuru Tachikawa directed some of my favorite action anime of all time in Mob Psycho, and his talents are on full display here. Delightful protag, evocative setting, lots of interesting mysteries raised, exquisite production. A winner basically any way you look at it.

The Great Pretender had me a little uncertain after episode 1, but I enjoyed episode 2 a lot more. The genre is far enough outside my usual wheelhouse that it'll have to hit almost perfectly to truly stay with me, but the early con-artistry has been fun, we're setting up some compelling character stuff, and the art style is vivid and intensely charming in its deliberate sleaze. Really refreshing to see something like this come out of Studio WIT after all my previous encounters with their work being shows with relatively dour and realistic art styles.

Lapis ReLights was something of a pleasant surprise. I believe this is the studio's first outing beyond supporting other productions, and they're off to a pretty nice start. The material itself is nothing earthshaking, idol-adjacent SoL material in a fantasy setting with some magical hooks, but it's all presented charmingly enough to keep me on for now.

Umayon - sure, I'll watch 3 minute chunks of Uma Musume characters being dumb, why not

Houkago Teibou Nisshi - restarted after Covid delayed it out of spring. Similar to Lapis ReLights - nothing earthshakingly new as SoL fare goes, but it's got that DogaKobo sheen to it and that lends it enough charm for me to have a perfectly pleasant time with it thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Protagonist wins a major fight by throwing a pig or we riot

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I had to rewatch like half of both episodes 1 and 2 to feel like I had a full grasp on some of the more logistic-y parts of the big twist, but I think I'm pretty onboard with what it's doing. And the visual direction of course remains top notch.

Edit: Talking about DecaDence, to be clear

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 15, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I had completely forgotten that that was happening.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Vahtooch posted:

I just binged this season last week, incredibly enjoyable. Hibiki brings such best girl energy.

All 5 seasons? Or just up to G?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly my bigger concerns are that 1.) the show's lost an immensely talented director that I would expect even KyoAni to struggle to replace and 2.) I don't think Maidragon ever really needed a sequel to begin with. There's some solid stuff in the later manga chapters but nothing I'd expect to match or really add anything terribly substantial to the best parts of S1. Certainly nothing that really offsets the frustration of sitting through Kyou's grosser tastes, IMO.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It's not gonna dethrone Yurucamp in the annals of Comfy Shows or anything, but I feel like Houkago Teibo Nisshi has rounded into form pretty nicely over the last couple eps. I'm a lot more bought in on the character dynamics than I was initially and it's been very cozy overall lately.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Ganbare, Shamiko, IMO

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r37i6fuajt4

Otherside Picnic PV's out.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It should be something to do with Wandering Witch, because I'm excited for Wandering Witch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Mob Psycho.