Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Deca-Dence had a great first episode, definitely looking forward to more.

Great Pretender has been really fun so far, four or five episodes in. Really stylish and clever crime comedy.

Oregairu's first episode felt more like a mid-season episode than a season premiere after a five year wait, but I'm still expecting great things.

Re:Zero is on my list as well, although I definitely need to watch a recap first.

Houkago Teibou Nisshi was okay so far, nothing special but an easy watch.

Railgun isn't listed in the OP, but supposedly it's starting back up in two weeks.

Might check out Uzaki-chan, Rent-a-Girlfriend, and Japan Sinks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

just realized that the weird japanese accent of the mc in great pretender is done on purpose to reflect the fact that he has a noticeable accent when speaking english. it's the osaka-ben > southern drawl trope but in reverse.

great series by the way, it's a shame that it'll fly under the radar due to netflix's bullshit

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

lmao re:zero really did made a character called garfiel transform into a large orange cat

cave emperor
Sep 1, 2016

Anime I watched this season, in no particular order:

Re:Zero: Have to admit that I'm kind of struggling to make sense of the plot at this point, there are so many moving parts that it's sometimes hard to keep track of it all. Definitely the most ambitious arc to date, and it does do a great job of making Subaru's situation seem absolutely hopeless, if nothing else. Despite the brisk pacing also manages to make time for more character-driven scenes, which continue to be the series' strong point.

Deca-Dence: Lovely art and animation, and a great pair of main characters, but didn't have any real narrative aces left up its sleeve after the episode 2 twist, and spent most of its second half moving along a fairly predictable path. Definitely a great series, and I don't regret watching it to the end at all, but I don't think many people will remember Deca-Dence a decade hence.

Oregairu: Good ending to a good series, with clever and insightful writing that is a cut above the average LN prose. I'd complain about best girl losing in the end, but so much time is spent slowly and methodically dismantling the growing harem time-bomb that the conclusion still felt well-considered and sincere.

Teibou: Definitely improved after the first couple of episodes. In its best moments, reminded me of Yama no Susume, with its leisurely pace, its obviously enthusiasm for its subject, and the dynamic between its two leads. Never reaches the heights (haha) of YnS, but still an enjoyable little show.

Rent-a-Girlfriend: Swings wildly between horny cringe comedy and more serious romantic comedy, never quite managing to settle on one or the other. Not great by any measure, but it does manage to be more compelling than the premise would suggest. Might stick around for the second season.

Railgun: Kind of a mess plot-wise (Indian Poker especially ended up going absolutely nowhere), but the characters were fun and the fights were cool, and really, that's all I want from a Railgun season.

Uzaki-chan: A dumb and inoffensive series that was somehow the center of a short-lived controversy. In retrospect, it's too bland and mediocre to get worked up about one way or the other.

Going to use the break between seasons to catch up on Great Pretender, which I watched until the end of the painting arc.