Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
If I had a 'conventional' car that averaged 20mpg at 50mph, what would be a good estimate to miles/kwh as a conversion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

VideoGameVet posted:

If I had a 'conventional' car that averaged 20mpg at 50mph, what would be a good estimate to miles/kwh as a conversion?

https://www.inchcalculator.com/convert/mile-per-kilowatt-hour-to-mile-per-gallon-equivalent/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MrYenko posted:

Swapping the worst EV drivetrain ever built into the worst rotary drivetrain ever built has a certain symmetry to it that I really enjoy.

(I love the RX8 but the Renesis is a disappointing piece of poo poo.)

I'm extremely confident that the RX8 is faaar from the worst rotary drivetrain ever built though. No argument about the leaf though.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

stevewm posted:

Norwegian YouTuber Bjorn has been posting Mach-E testing videos... https://youtube.com/user/bjornnyland

The center screen software... Needs some work.

The heated cameras is a pretty good idea though. I was impressed at that. Interesting that the camera was heated while the radar wasn't

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

It's more about "how much battery does a conversion need to go X miles if the original car got Y mpg."

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

stevewm posted:

Norwegian YouTuber Bjorn has been posting Mach-E testing videos... https://youtube.com/user/bjornnyland

The center screen software... Needs some work.

You want to fast charge anywhere near the rated speed? Choose between heating the battery or the interior. Ford is really taking the "fix it in software" stance to this flagship vehicle. I've watched several Mach E reviews and none seem to really test the EV platform like they should, except for Bjorn. Thank you Norway, for your EV commitment, so we can see how these things perform outside of perfect weather while having a good charging infrastructure.

VideoGameVet posted:

It's more about "how much battery does a conversion need to go X miles if the original car got Y mpg."

You're thinking about this wrong. You'd need to figure out how much drag it has (probably other things as well). The original gas motor is horribly inefficient and has no bearing on how an EV motor will perform in that same chassis.

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Feb 24, 2021

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm extremely confident that the RX8 is faaar from the worst rotary drivetrain ever built though. No argument about the leaf though.

Look up the Roadpacer and be horrified.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

MrYenko posted:

Swapping the worst EV drivetrain ever built into the worst rotary drivetrain ever built has a certain symmetry to it that I really enjoy.

(I love the RX8 but the Renesis is a disappointing piece of poo poo.)

That's a lot of hyperbole, there are countless brushed DC low voltage lead acid drivetrains that set back the cause of electric vehicles by decades. By comparison "lack of battery thermal management" is an inconvenience :v: obviously depends on the climate where you are though.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Look up the Roadpacer and be horrified.
I had no idea that was a thing, but at least it's still Mazda! Now imagine you take that engine, and have the soviets make a knockoff version out of whatever recycled WW2 tank steel they had around
https://drivemag.com/news/did-you-know-lada-made-wankel-rotary-engined-cars

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh, the new Ioniq 5 is steer by wire. Who else has done that so far? Some Lexus and one year of an Infiniti?

Bone Crimes
Mar 7, 2007

Wasn't Hyundai going to release info on their whole lineup? I'm only seeing stuff on the Ionic 5

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ford just released the expected specs for the gt: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

Target 0-60 : 3.8 Seconds

Horsepower ER eAWD : 480

ER eAWD : 600 lb.-ft.Torque

ER eAWD : 250 Targeted EPA-est. Miles of Range

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
So less range and about halfway between a performance and AWD-LR Model Y for 0-60?

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Watching the Mustang Mach-E videos, I'm kind of "whelmed" with the car. It really feels like a case of barely meeting expectations instead of trying to exceed them. I was hoping for a bit more ambition from Ford with their first mass market EV. The infotainment has some good ideas (love the energy use breakdown!) but performance doesn't look very good, lots of lag and hitching. I don't know how car companies keep getting that so wrong either. If you are going to make a big screen that the user has to interact with then the first priority has to be that it is fast and easy to use.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Getting word that some dealers have demo ID4s here (Sweden) now and a handful of people have posted comments after driving then. So far very positive, one guy thought the display still felt "slow" so the software likely needs some more work (not sure if this car had the 2.1 release they are supposedly waiting on before releasing the cars to buyers). Apparently very comfortable seats (VW usually does well here) and the car reported under 0.2kWh/km despite "spirited" test driving.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

PIZZA.BAT posted:

ford just released the expected specs for the gt: https://www.ford.com/suvs/mach-e/models/mach-e-gt/

Target 0-60 : 3.8 Seconds

Horsepower ER eAWD : 480

ER eAWD : 600 lb.-ft.Torque

ER eAWD : 250 Targeted EPA-est. Miles of Range

Those numbers definitely look like I can forgo the GT version and just stick with the Premium AWD version if I decide on a Mach-E for my next vehicle.

After scheduling a Mach-E test drive for Friday, I followed it up with a Tesla Model Y test drive a little bit afterwards the same day. Figured I should actually give the thing a shot, and see if the design decision like no gauge cluster actually bother me. I was surprised to find out poking around on YouTube today, that the Model Y doesn’t “officially” have a heated steering wheel yet, but has probably had that added on since the beginning of the year. Was pretty surprised to see that was missing. Also that Sirius XM either isn’t available in the vehicle, or is app based. I find that surprising as well.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

Orvin posted:

Those numbers definitely look like I can forgo the GT version and just stick with the Premium AWD version if I decide on a Mach-E for my next vehicle.

After scheduling a Mach-E test drive for Friday, I followed it up with a Tesla Model Y test drive a little bit afterwards the same day. Figured I should actually give the thing a shot, and see if the design decision like no gauge cluster actually bother me. I was surprised to find out poking around on YouTube today, that the Model Y doesn’t “officially” have a heated steering wheel yet, but has probably had that added on since the beginning of the year. Was pretty surprised to see that was missing. Also that Sirius XM either isn’t available in the vehicle, or is app based. I find that surprising as well.

No Gauge cluster bothered me on my test drive of a Model Y, but it's absolutely something you will get used to if you buy it. I do wish they would have options to have certain things like trip miles and tire pressure displayed at all times - but it's really not necessary. You don't need some of the information that is typically displayed on an ICE vehicle like RPM and oil temp (honestly are these even needed on modern automatic transmission ICE vehicle?).

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

The Mach-E has a drain hole in the frunk, so Bjørn made a drinks cooler with snow.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKhdNboOeQ8

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I haven't watched the video yet, but I like that feature. Maybe the Ioniq 5 should copy it, although the U.S. long range model will have a very tiny frunk.

Kona EV battery recall, d'oh:
https://www.autoblog.com/2021/02/24/hyundai-to-replace-kona-ev-battery-packs-recall/

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

Oh, the new Ioniq 5 is steer by wire. Who else has done that so far? Some Lexus and one year of an Infiniti?

To clarify, no physical connection to the steering rack? Thats what they did?

*shudders* Thats not a good idea.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

To clarify, no physical connection to the steering rack? Thats what they did?

*shudders* Thats not a good idea.

Don't know. It was only glazed over. It was implied that it gives more cabin space, so probably. Hopefully it has more redundancy that MCAS.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steer by wire is a pretty well proven concept for vehicles operating in controlled environments. They're pretty robust systems, but the main reason for them is packaging, weight, cost and maintenance reduction.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yup, and I think it's part of how they have a wheelbase larger than a model S, while actually being smaller than a model Y. No steering column = less space taken, maybe even safer in a way, although we've had collapsible columns forever. But technical details are sparse, so I'm just speculating.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
planes been doin FBW forever so i don't think it's all that inherently unsafe if done correctly

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

planes been doin FBW forever so i don't think it's all that inherently unsafe if done correctly

I’d love to see a schematic of their steer by wire. I’d put :10bux: on single points of failure.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Planes have redundant systems, often two pilots and a rigid maintenance schedule.

Hands up if you would trust any car maker to do it correctly

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Brakes are arguably a more important safety device than steering, and they've been electrically controlled for ages. I get the resistance to it but it's pretty trivial to make it multiply redundant. Hell with auto driving capabilities, if the connection to the wheel was somehow severed, the computer can still dynamically control the car's direction .

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Adaptive cruise controls and lane assist systems already have the potential to kill you several times per day, it'll be fine.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Took a Skoda Citigo-E on some twisty roads today and it was actually a great time. I usually just drive it in the city or on the highway, the latter is really annyoing due to the sharing service cars not having cruise control. But on low speed twisty roads it really shines. Much more balanced than a FWD ICE, darts into corners fairly flat and has plenty of punch out of them. Steering isn't Ferrari-like direct exactly, but it's certainly not vague. Now, if the ID platform brings some RWD mini cars with more power....

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Whats the fallback when steer by wire breaks? Pray to the caster gods?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

brand engager posted:

Pull the ebrake! Oh god it’s electric too!!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

I’d love to see a schematic of their steer by wire. I’d put :10bux: on single points of failure.

oh yeah i recognize "if done correctly" is doing a fair amount of work there

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Planes have redundant systems, often two pilots and a rigid maintenance schedule.

Hands up if you would trust any car maker to do it correctly

i agree with your other two points but what on earth does having two pilots do to make FBW more safe

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

Brakes are arguably a more important safety device than steering, and they've been electrically controlled for ages. I get the resistance to it but it's pretty trivial to make it multiply redundant. Hell with auto driving capabilities, if the connection to the wheel was somehow severed, the computer can still dynamically control the car's direction .

Sure ABS is electronically controlled, but it's setup in a way that if I pulled the ABS fuse the brakes can still be used.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

brand engager posted:

What's the fallback when your power steering fails? Pray your noodle arms can manhandle a car that's never been designed to steer without power assist over to the shoulder?
If all 2-3 position sensors all fail (or it has the old "if one sensor fails we dump the output of the other ones because we can't trust which is correct" logic), lane keep will keep the car in the lane, then just put your hazards on and brake until you can get somewhere safe.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

brand engager posted:

Sure ABS is electronically controlled, but it's setup in a way that if I pulled the ABS fuse the brakes can still be used.

Brake-by-wire cars exist.

As far as drive-by-wire, Infiniti has been doing it in some of their cars since 2014, though they still have a mechanical system as a backup, at least for now.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

What's the fallback when your power steering fails? Pray your noodle arms can manhandle a car that's never been designed to steer without power assist over to the shoulder?
If all 2-3 position sensors all fail (or it has the old "if one sensor fails we dump the output of the other ones because we can't trust which is correct" logic), lane keep will keep the car in the lane, then just put your hazards on and brake until you can get somewhere safe.

I've had to do that on 2 different vehicles, it's not that hard when the vehicle is already moving.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

brand engager posted:

No I mean actual brake by wire. Brake pedal attached to position sensor, sensor output goes to braking controller which drives the braking system.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Finger Prince posted:

No I mean actual brake by wire. Brake pedal attached to position sensor, sensor output goes to braking controller which drives the braking system.

I would hope that it's setup similar to air brakes where the default state is braking and you need some kind of force to release the brakes. At least that way the thing will stop if something goes wrong.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

i agree with your other two points but what on earth does having two pilots do to make FBW more safe

If you have a failure in a control system on one side of the cockpit, you can take over on the other side - Not so easy to do if you have a single operator vehicle. So if the flight yoke isnt working correctly for the captain? Co-pilot can take over. Basically just another way to say redundancy is baked into aircraft esp commercial craft

quote:

A lot of power steering systems drop most assistance at speed and at low steering angles. Some remove it entirely so.... yes?

One of my cars lost it's power steering and apart from tight maneuvers it was perfectly fine to drive. If you dont have the arm strength to guide a car to the side of the road if the power steering fails you probably shouldnt be driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If you dont have the arm strength to guide a car to the side of the road if the power steering fails you probably shouldnt be driving.

That's a whole other debate.