Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Tiny Timbs posted:

iirc this is something like anyone who makes more than $40k or so barring special situations. Should be pretty easy to verify though

That's close enough for someone unmarried. Married taxpayers and heads-of-household have a higher threshold, but I don't care to do the math right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I have $10,000 a month deducted from my paychecks for Federal taxes. At the end of the year I've payed $120,000 in federal taxes. But I lost a bundle of money on Tesla stock, so normally at the end of the year I'd break exactly even, but because of the stock losses I'm going to get a $15,000 refund!

The way some of these goobers have written up their EV tax credit faq makes it seem like maybe I can't get the $7500 EV tax credit because I don't "owe money" but in this scenario I still owe (i.e. have a tax liability of) $105,000 so the $7500 EV credit is in play and instead of getting a $15,000 refund I get a $22,500 refund.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bird with big dick posted:

I heard they fixed it with an OTA in March but what I can say from personal experience is that Tesla's lane keeping is lightyears beyond Ford's and probably also Honda's and I haven't experienced any phantom braking in my test drives.

BlueCruise actually works really well for me in the northwest. It drops from hands free mode every so often but even then the acc and lane keep work just fine.

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

I have $10,000 a month deducted from my paychecks for Federal taxes.

Weird flex, but ok

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

DoubleT2172 posted:

Weird flex, but ok

That’s like half the reason some people post ITT

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

BlueCruise actually works really well for me in the northwest. It drops from hands free mode every so often but even then the acc and lane keep work just fine.

Porsche Innodrive sucks to the point of unusability, but the standard ACC is great. The Innodrive mode slows it down for corners and roundabouts, but it accelerates and brakes too severely and is generally unpleasant to be in.

(the Taycan still has the best EV interior)

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Cadillac Lyriq is supposed to have the hardware for the next gen of Supercruise. But the software won't come out until end of the year

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

knox_harrington posted:

(the Taycan still has the best EV interior)

Hmm or possibly the e-tron GT?? This is unsettling

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Nuts and Gum posted:

Im coming off a golf R lease and am wrestling with the do I buy it out (because I really like the car) or let it go and get a used '18 or '19 Model 3. I know goons love to hate Tesla's, but I have two friends who love theirs and AFAICT there's nothing else within a 50k budget that is as fast or has as many 'autopilot' options without going to 60k.

Is this a reasonable thought, or is there another EV I should be considering?

I have a 2020 Model 3 and it is great, basically nothing to complain about, does everything I want from it.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

I wish my Model 3 could run a wifi hotspot since I'm paying for the $10/mo premium connectivity.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

YOLOsubmarine posted:

There was a stretch of I-70 where it worked great for like 200 miles but it was real straight. And it was still kind of annoying because you can't do more than 80 mph with it on. Also if you hit a bump mid curve it would start to oscillate back and forth in a feedback loop overcorrecting the steering until I put a hand on the wheel to stop it.

On my daily commute on I-80 it was effing terrible. It doesn't center well, likes to ride the inside or the outside of the lane. Hands free shutting off every 1-2 miles due to the mildest of curves or just on/off ramps. Lane departure warning when hands free is on and it wanders out of the lane on its own accord.

The hands free constantly turning on and off is more annoying than just keeping your hand on the wheel and the thing is, the Tesla requires like 1/4th the pressure on the wheel compared to the Ford. The Ford needs an annoying amount of pressure to register it IMO. Enough that you let it go and it darts across the lane. With the Tesla you take your hand off the wheel and the car doesn't budge an inch, stays right where it is (within the lane).

I became less and less enamored with BC over time. I literally stopped using it on my commute. It was less stressful to just drive rather than have to deal with it constantly needing attention and complaining every time it couldn't see my eyeballs well enough. I'm sure it'll get better and I'm sure it is better in locations with straighter roads but for my use case it was basically garbage.

I didn't fully realize how bad the Ford's lane centering was until I test drove a Tesla on the exact same roads. The tesla didn't wander a bit (except where it likes to center itself when you've got half a merge land) on the exact same curves that freaked the Ford out. I only wish they hadn't taken the radar out of the Tesla. I know they think they don't need it but it still seems it'd have to be better with it.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Tiny Timbs posted:

I've heard the opposite with Teslas experiencing lurching/phantom braking issues that aren't present or as present on other vehicles.

It’s much worse than my 2017 Kia was about braking for random things entering (or potentially entering) the lane, but it’s almost exactly the same as my wife’s 2020 Nissan. I suspect some of that has to do with the addition of lane-keeping, or some other function that didn’t exist in 2017, to both vehicles.

Part of the issue is that most EVs have regenerative braking, so letting off the accelerator, whether that is done by a human or a computer, is more immediately noticeable. One of the recent updates has smoothed out autopilot’s use of regen a bit, though.

I drove 1,100 miles over a weekend recently and used autopilot (not FSD, that’s a waste) for probably 90% of that. It was just fine.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

What if Hitler invented the BMW i3 Subcompact Electric car?

Nuts and Gum posted:

The EV6 is the only other EV with a good interior imo (wtf ID.4?!) but I'm not sure about availability.

The Mach-E interior is pretty decent:

No cooled seats, no leather option, the Lighting has options for both, wouldn't be surprised if the Mach-E gets them within the next couple of model years.

I'm really going to miss the interior of my i3 though.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I liked the materials & interior of the Mach:

My only complaints were that they put a screen directly in front of the driver and then barely bothered to put any useful information on it. 2/3 of the screen is blank space or the changing background. Give me a big rear end power meter showing how much I'm using or regenerating. Seems like a no brainer, especially on a "performance" vehicle.

And the door openings are small for a CUV. I'm 6'5" and have a broken neck so my requirements are a bit different than most but getting in and out of the Mach is worse than a Model 3 and massively worse than a Model Y and there's not a good reason for it.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

I liked the materials & interior of the Mach:

My only complaints were that they put a screen directly in front of the driver and then barely bothered to put any useful information on it. 2/3 of the screen is blank space or the changing background. Give me a big rear end power meter showing how much I'm using or regenerating. Seems like a no brainer, especially on a "performance" vehicle.

The fact that they don’t display any info from CarPlay on the driver instrument cluster is a huge waste. I want to see nav info there and I don’t want to have to use the built in navigation to get it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

YOLOsubmarine posted:

The fact that they don’t display any info from CarPlay on the driver instrument cluster is a huge waste. I want to see nav info there and I don’t want to have to use the built in navigation to get it.

EV6 doesn't do this either and yeah it's annoying. Carplay does know when the car navigation starts so I feel it should work both ways.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Does any car do this? I thought part of the point was it was just a video/touch passthrough to the iPhone so it wasn't dependent on car manufactures supporting updates.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Polestar driver display is just one giant map with the speedometer overlaid and it owns

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Polestar driver display is just one giant map with the speedometer overlaid and it owns

I always thought the Audi satellite images thing made a lot of sense. Maybe not, used it, but it seemed like knowing what you were coming up on (e.g. parking entrance) without putting in a navigation address seemed very intuitive.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

God bless Volvo and the Volvo Way of Doing poo poo.

May they never perish from the earth, inshallah

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Three Olives posted:

Does any car do this? I thought part of the point was it was just a video/touch passthrough to the iPhone so it wasn't dependent on car manufactures supporting updates.

I don’t know if there is any technical limitation in the way CarPlay works that prevents this, but it’s not just a screen scrape. Apps have their own CarPlay UI that is controlled independently from the phone UI so there is a certain amount of customization that is available about what is displayed and how.

Edit: looks like it’s been supported since IOS 13, manufacturers are just really slow in the uptake

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20875604/apple-carplay-ios13-multiple-screen-no-support

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 01:03 on May 19, 2022

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Three Olives posted:

No cooled seats, no leather option, the Lighting has options for both, wouldn't be surprised if the Mach-E gets them within the next couple of model years.

Frankly, I hate the giant vertical touchscreens everywhere they appear. Physical climate controls and a dash-integrated screen are better.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I used to think the lack of physical climate buttons was a serious downside of Tesla, but honestly the only adjustments I make the my climate settings anymore are toggling the defroster if necessary (and most of the time I'm doing that from the app well in advance of getting in the car), otherwise the automatic setting just works and has worked basically since I got the vehicle. Granted I am still somewhat annoyed with the Tesla v11 UX overhaul, even though you can now put defrosters back on the bottom bar at least, hoping v12 goes back to the basics eventually and they reeducate the idiot responsible.

My desire for physical climate controls was basically just an old and outdated habit/mindset I had because none of my previous vehicles had automatic climate controls and or they didn't work as well. My brother drives a Prius and it has the same experience, and this is in the Midwest US where the difference between winter and summer is huge.

Cue a joke here: "Elon removed the climate controls because hardly anyone ever used them".

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

To be fair to Tesla, 11 is the first UI update that I felt was a serious misstep.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speaking of driver displays...

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Three Olives posted:

That does look good! I completely forgot about the Mach-e since I hate American cars, but Ford seems to have done well with this car.

I’m just finding out Tesla does not support CarPlay, which is a bummer. I could still stream Apple Music via Bluetooth right? I’m guessing the screen wouldn’t have detailed info but hopefully the next track buttons would work…

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Tiny Timbs posted:

Speaking of driver displays...

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I was pretty impressed with the EV6 interior when I saw it. It felt well focused on the driver, and has one of the better screen integrations to me, where it looks a bit more organic and less like someone grabbed an ipad and tried to glue it onto a dashboard not designed for a screen.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nuts and Gum posted:

That does look good! I completely forgot about the Mach-e since I hate American cars, but Ford seems to have done well with this car.

I’m just finding out Tesla does not support CarPlay, which is a bummer. I could still stream Apple Music via Bluetooth right? I’m guessing the screen wouldn’t have detailed info but hopefully the next track buttons would work…

I’d never been especially impressed with Fords before but our Mach-E is pretty good. It’s probably worth putting aside your preconceptions and looking at one.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I’d never been especially impressed with Fords before but our Mach-E is pretty good. It’s probably worth putting aside your preconceptions and looking at one.

My Fiesta ST feels like it was put together by chimpanzees and the interior is like 2 decades 2 cheap, but it’s also the funnest car in all the world and I’m still in the honeymoon phase with mine almost a year into ownership

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 02:36 on May 19, 2022

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t know if there is any technical limitation in the way CarPlay works that prevents this, but it’s not just a screen scrape. Apps have their own CarPlay UI that is controlled independently from the phone UI so there is a certain amount of customization that is available about what is displayed and how.

Edit: looks like it’s been supported since IOS 13, manufacturers are just really slow in the uptake

Edit: https://www.theverge.com/2019/9/20/20875604/apple-carplay-ios13-multiple-screen-no-support

Fords with Sync4 support this now. But in addition to iOS and the vehicle supporting the feature you also need apps to support it. So I can get Apple Maps directions on my instrument cluster on my F-150 but not Google Maps or Waze.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Nuts and Gum posted:

It streams music and even displays album covers and stuff over BT IIRC. That’s one of the things I checked on my last test drive.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

It streams music and even displays album covers and stuff over BT IIRC. That’s one of the things I checked on my last test drive.

That is just like baseline BT audio support.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Three Olives posted:

sometimes we forget that there are dudes over 50 itt

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Three Olives posted:

It pulls album art from gracenote over cellular based on the track and artist name instead of using the bluetooth art protocol, so the art gets horrendously wrong as soon as you listen to something that isn't on an album.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Three Olives posted:

Um, I beg your pardon.

That is actually unofficial wireless Android Auto.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Tiny Timbs posted:

:angel:

Seriously it's extremely good, I hope other manufacturers take note.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

:eyepop:

Three Olives posted:

oh. Well it's new to me dammit!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Tom Guycot posted:

I was pretty impressed with the EV6 interior when I saw it. It felt well focused on the driver, and has one of the better screen integrations to me, where it looks a bit more organic and less like someone grabbed an ipad and tried to glue it onto a dashboard not designed for a screen.

Yeah the interior is great. Only interior negatives I have on the EV6 is the lack of a garage opener (GT-Line only) and no sunglasses tray (which my Veloster had). The UI/Screen is great. Better Carplay integration on the driver display would be fantastic but having separate media/climate control under the main screen is aces.

(Also I found out like yesterday if you hold on the toggle button you can lock which one you want as default)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Why would you ever listen to something that isn't on an album.