Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah wtf is this anti Buc-ees slander?!? I have literally never seen anyone say a bad thing about it until now. It’s loving awesome. Who doesn’t want pristine bathrooms, enough gas and electric stalls that you never have to wait?

Even if you don’t want all of the other stuff, it’s literally the best possible gas station if that is all you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Doom Rooster posted:

Yeah wtf is this anti Buc-ees slander?!? I have literally never seen anyone say a bad thing about it until now. It’s loving awesome. Who doesn’t want pristine bathrooms, enough gas and electric stalls that you never have to wait?

Even if you don’t want all of the other stuff, it’s literally the best possible gas station if that is all you want.

Brisket bathroom and beaver nuggets one stop shop

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Their breakfast brisket tacos are divine.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Their breakfast brisket tacos are divine.

If I have only one complaint, it’s that their sandwiches and tacos have really skyrocketed in price. I could swear I could get tacos and brisket sandwiches for 3-4 bucks a couple of years ago, and now it’s all 8-10 dollars each.

Guess those Tesla Superchargers don’t come free.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Buc-ees’ beef jerky is so good, and I buy a pound a month.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Company Man did a Buc-ee's video recently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtaXg5GcNxg&pp=ygULY29tcGFueSBtYW4%3D

As for me, one supercharger by me tends to charge 10-20¢ less per kWh then surrounding ones so that where I go. Helps that its usually enroute to places I frequent.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Silly Burrito posted:

Just pulled into the Gulf Shores Buc-ee’s

Loxley :colbert:

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Ain’t nobody know where Loxley is.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Saw a Solterra for the first time today, it is kinda fugly, that shelf on the rear end and the black plastic cladding on a not-very-rugged car...

Here's two stunners though

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Elviscat posted:

Saw a Solterra for the first time today, it is kinda fugly, that shelf on the rear end and the black plastic cladding on a not-very-rugged car...

Wait wtf? That's exactly the same as the Toyota BZ4X! I guess I should have guessed from the model name that it's another fruit from the Subaru/Toyota partnership.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

They made it ugly on purpose because they don’t want EVs to be successful.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Wayne Knight posted:

They made it ugly on purpose because they don’t want EVs to be successful.

I guess the Nissan Armada/Infiniti QX80 is some meta game by Nissan to kill the SUV then?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Maybe in 20 years time we'll be retconning it as a visionary design ahead of its time, unappreciated in its time by close minded 2020s consumers, like the Aztek.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Holy poo poo, that's what it reminds me of, it looks a lot like a Pontiac Aztec if it was still made in 2023, with the black cladding instead of body color.

That Toyota name is really bad, and it's somehow even uglier.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Love to see that sweet throwback Aztek styling

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I have seen a few of those around here, both the toyota and subaru versions and they are hideous looking from pretty much every angle.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

There are just so many examples of appalling vehicle design these days, the bz4x doesn't even make me flinch. Like, I know it's not good... bad even. But, is it Armada whale bad? Is it bucktooth BMW bad? Is it Mercedes GLE Fatass Coupe bad? There's just so much ugly out there it's sort of, yeah it's ugly but so's everything. Has it got carplay? I wouldn't buy one, but I'm not in the market. If you're thinking of a Venzabus but want to go EV, that's the target market right there.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

I really like the exterior styling of the Toyota Venza.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Elviscat posted:

Oh for fucks sake, even Subaru are now getting in on the sloped rear end that slaughters cargo room now too? What the hell is the point of a CUV if it's that loving useless? That Explorer(?) beside it, that thing might be a turd but it's got actual use in being able to stuff more in it than your shopping.

Same thing as the Ioniq 5, but that's less pronounced but still failed my "throw a bike in the back" test so badly despite is deceptive size and the lack of rear overhang makes it more of a hatchback anyway so what was I expecting? I found it to be otherwise surprisingly wide, bit of a grip pig to drive but competent and otherwise decent enough? Strong appeal to suburban parent with smaller kids energy so not really not a car that could be useful for my requirements (I very much need a wagon or something that isnt space compromised behind the rear seats) but I think if you are looking for a family shopping cart that isn't poo poo this one is def a good one. Touch screen does things I guess, most of it I just ignored while the sales drone went on about it. Does safety things with lane keeping and blah blah that again not interested in. And those camera mirrors are ..... I guess okay? I'd prolly get used to them on that specific model atho I wouldn't spec them myself.

The one thing that did catch my attention was Vehicle to Load, charging a e-MTB? Yeah that's def something I would love to have, as far as I'm aware that not that common on AUS delivered cars.

BYD's are availible in Australia now, I'm going to make a bit of time to go look them over.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh for fucks sake, even Subaru are now getting in on the sloped rear end that slaughters cargo room now too? What the hell is the point of a CUV if it's that loving useless?

Subaru sells nearly as many XVs as Foresters in Australia so there is clearly demand there.

The Atto 3 is definitely worth a look but I don't think you'll like how they drive - they're very, very soft

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh for fucks sake, even Subaru are now getting in on the sloped rear end that slaughters cargo room now too? What the hell is the point of a CUV if it's that loving useless? That Explorer(?) beside it, that thing might be a turd but it's got actual use in being able to stuff more in it than your shopping.

Same thing as the Ioniq 5, but that's less pronounced but still failed my "throw a bike in the back" test so badly despite is deceptive size and the lack of rear overhang makes it more of a hatchback anyway so what was I expecting? I found it to be otherwise surprisingly wide, bit of a grip pig to drive but competent and otherwise decent enough? Strong appeal to suburban parent with smaller kids energy so not really not a car that could be useful for my requirements (I very much need a wagon or something that isnt space compromised behind the rear seats) but I think if you are looking for a family shopping cart that isn't poo poo this one is def a good one. Touch screen does things I guess, most of it I just ignored while the sales drone went on about it. Does safety things with lane keeping and blah blah that again not interested in. And those camera mirrors are ..... I guess okay? I'd prolly get used to them on that specific model atho I wouldn't spec them myself.

The one thing that did catch my attention was Vehicle to Load, charging a e-MTB? Yeah that's def something I would love to have, as far as I'm aware that not that common on AUS delivered cars.

BYD's are availible in Australia now, I'm going to make a bit of time to go look them over.

Kind of surprised they didn't tell you about it on the ioniq 5. That's one of their big party pieces. Maybe some weird aussie regulation?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

It's really good for lowering drag and increasing highway range. You can see it even on stuff like the Cybertruck.

I do miss my old squareish Passat Wagon, where I could fit 4 of my mates and their snowboard gear in the inside, and our boards in the unistrut and 2x4 rack I made on top, then get 30 MPG up the mountain.

The R1S is a big, proper boxy thing if you need a big 'ol EV SUV to fit your bike in, that gets decent range, but it's only about 60% as efficient. E: as the Solterra/bunchanumbersandletter

And there's always the EV hummer, for those who refuse to deny any loads.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Elviscat posted:

And there's always the EV hummer, for those who refuse to deny any loads.

Is that what your moms driving?

:slick:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

dissss posted:

Subaru sells nearly as many XVs as Foresters in Australia so there is clearly demand there.

I used to own a XV, it's actually a very usable vehicle very similiar to the old Gen 1 Forester. I also tested a Hybrid Forester and it's not as good as the older one with a bit of a cut in the load area due to more slope on the rear glass / tailgate, it's still a good bike / larger cargo hauler.

quote:

The Atto 3 is definitely worth a look but I don't think you'll like how they drive - they're very, very soft

It would have to be an insanely good car to get a sale outta me but I'm curious to see what they are like anyway. An MG EV is just..... I dont want to contemplate an MG

Finger Prince posted:

Kind of surprised they didn't tell you about it on the ioniq 5. That's one of their big party pieces. Maybe some weird aussie regulation?

They didnt even say poo poo until I was talking about "I want to haul about MTB's and want to get a e-MTB" THEN they were like "Oh hey and you can do Vehicle to Load and this is how it works" and oh boy yes THAT is a feature I now want. That is extremely useful to me.

Elviscat posted:

It's really good for lowering drag and increasing highway range. You can see it even on stuff like the Cybertruck.

Sure, I understand that but it blows a lot of rear end for actual utility - I'll swap a few kms for the ability to throw in more poo poo in the back. The main thing here is my use case is "wagon". The current crop of CUV's and SUV's are getting worse at that and honestly outside of an Outback, an SUV is kinda stomach churning to contemplate.

gently caress You Subaru for killing the actual fun Foresters.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Silly Burrito posted:

Brisket bathroom and beaver nuggets

the name of my new folk punk band, eventually shortened to “brisket bathroom”

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

Elviscat posted:

I saw one in all-black awaiting pickup at a dealership. Definitely a car that needs black paint to hide the black trim.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Subaru probably didn’t have much choice in anything as it’s what toyota told them to sell. They change a few easy to swap fascias, stick a badge on it and go.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I saw a solterra at the grocery store in dark blue. It looked fine

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I saw a solterra at the grocery store in dark blue. It looked fine

Are the wheels any better at staying on the vehicle?

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I watched the guy drive off incident free

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
I can’t guarantee he made it to his next destination though

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

I can’t guarantee he made it to his next destination though

None of us are guarantied our next destination.

Enjoy the ride.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

The R1S reservation I put in a million years ago has come up for purchase, and I’m not sure I want to move forward with it.

On one hand:
- I’ve been daily driving the F150 Lightning, and I’m very happy with it. I’d be hard pressed to rationalize keeping the Ford and the Rivian.
- I don’t need the bed all the time, but I’m thankful when I do have it. R1S might be ok but tough to tell.
- I’m concerned about owning a car where the nearest service center is 150 miles away. There are some reports of weirdness on Rivian forums, but it’s hard to know how widespread issues are.

On the other hand:
- The F150 size works for the family now but the 3 rows of the R1S will eventually be better.
- The Rivian will be the original lower price, so there’s some in-built equity if I choose not to keep it. But then I have to sell it, which is another thing I have to do.
- The Rivian is “cool” and “interesting.” Also, “yolo” - there are only so many opportunities in life to try out something new and fun. This is maybe the biggest motivating factor for me so far, even though it’s frivolous.

I am interested in hearing some of your opinions about whether I should do this or not.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Aino Minako posted:

The R1S reservation I put in a million years ago has come up for purchase, and I’m not sure I want to move forward with it.

On one hand:
- I’ve been daily driving the F150 Lightning, and I’m very happy with it. I’d be hard pressed to rationalize keeping the Ford and the Rivian.
- I don’t need the bed all the time, but I’m thankful when I do have it. R1S might be ok but tough to tell.
- I’m concerned about owning a car where the nearest service center is 150 miles away. There are some reports of weirdness on Rivian forums, but it’s hard to know how widespread issues are.

On the other hand:
- The F150 size works for the family now but the 3 rows of the R1S will eventually be better.
- The Rivian will be the original lower price, so there’s some in-built equity if I choose not to keep it. But then I have to sell it, which is another thing I have to do.
- The Rivian is “cool” and “interesting.” Also, “yolo” - there are only so many opportunities in life to try out something new and fun. This is maybe the biggest motivating factor for me so far, even though it’s frivolous.

I am interested in hearing some of your opinions about whether I should do this or not.

choices in order of raditude:

1) keep both for yourself, “because you’re worth it”

2) gift the R1S to your spouse

3) take delivery of the rivian and drive both for a month, sell whichever one you like less for 200% of MSRP. Use the profit to finish paying off the vehicle you keep, or for whatever else you need/choose, buy a fleet of “AI choice” cars or whatever the world is your oyster

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Aino Minako posted:

On one hand:

On the other hand:

What color/configuration? Are reservations transferable?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I'm glad somebody had the presence of mind to mention the most important consideration.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Ok Comboomer posted:

choices in order of raditude:

1) keep both for yourself, “because you’re worth it”

2) gift the R1S to your spouse a random goon in this thread

3) take delivery of the rivian and drive both for a month, sell whichever one you like less for 200% of MSRP. Use the profit to finish paying off the vehicle you keep, or for whatever else you need/choose, buy a fleet of “AI choice” cars or whatever the world is your oyster

Let's do the 2nd option

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Get it, take some photos (for the thread), then return it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Qwijib0 posted:

This continues to be a funny argument to me when as of this spring, 60% of EVs on the road use NACS. and as pointed out by cruft, 61% of L3 stalls are NACS. ….

Every other EV brand vs Tesla.

That’s why.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
trade the rivian to Jeffrey for ownership of SA