Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?

gwrtheyrn posted:

The best EV is the one you have in your garage

Even the Fiat 500e or Mitsubishi imeev?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I am weary of loitering about Britain. There is much we could be accomplishing! Where hast thou been, anyway?
Can we summon a lineman into this thread? Do residential runs even have three phase at the junction boxes? We added a 100 amp subpanel to my 200amp breaker boz for a 40amp and 60amp breaker so the garage has two chargers.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

gwrtheyrn posted:

I never use cruise control to begin with so while adaptive cruise control would be cool, it's not a deal breaker. I only see 2016/2019 listings when I'm looking at golfs, presumably 2017s aren't off lease yet and dealers are trying to dump their 2019 inventory. I'll just have to keep an eye on that, since the 2017 range is enough for what I need, and worst case I know there are a couple evgo chargers in the cell phone lot at the airport

Once you've used a really good lane centering and adaptive cruise system you won't want to go back. You can do 200 mile drives with no mental or physical drain.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

But this is exactly what happened in the examples posted up thread? Guy bought a Tesla from a 3rd party and Tesla remotely disables his EAP and FSD and only re-enabled it after he kicked up enough of a storm on social media. Even if you assume that it was an error, why are they auditing software ownership on the car if the software is tied to the car? And what happens to people who can’t generate the relevant level of outrage to get it fixed?
Do you just assume that if it didn’t blow up on Twitter that it never happened?

You're leaving our the important detail that the car went through Tesla first to stir up controversy. A normal person to person transaction wouldn't result in that.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Auto manufacturers who don't put in driver monitoring (the camera is actually there for it in the 3 and the Y) and instead rely on wheel torque readings are making such a tremendous mistake.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

keseph posted:

except for an Uber driver I once had on a work trip who literally pulsed the pedal from 1k to 2k over and over. It was intensely nauseating especially right after getting off a plane.

Some Uber drivers do this on purpose. If you barf it's a $250 cleaning fee. Driver gets to go home for the day.

Re: Taycan Regen chat:
I have an etron which has 99% of the same behavior as the Taycan. Any braking is done with Regen ONLY unless you're doing more than . 3G of braking then the mechanical pads actuate. You can also pull the left paddle on the steering wheel to trigger one of two levels of Regen. But even the most aggressive Regen mode is less than Tesla's lowest level of Regen.

Also it will coast for loving EVER. I need to record video of it but it'll coast for a mile+ without losing much speed.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

EV buyers and Q8 buyers are not the same.

has nothin to do with Tesla and a lot more to do with the US market being not good for hatchbacks. VW has an EV that ought to sell well in NA. Why bring the thing that won't sell first?

I went to drive a Q8 and left with an etron a few weeks later. I think there is more crossover than you'd imagine especially because of how similar they are in size.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

What is really loving Audi is the dealers do not want to sell e-trons. The first two dealers really refused to negotiate at all and pulled every slimy dealer trick under the sun to get me to not buy an e-tron while offering a compelling deal on a Q8. The third dealer I wore down by email and then when they dropped it off they didn't tell me anything about the car and forgot to sign the paperwork that allows me to get a state tax credit.

I wound up having to call Audi roadside to figure out how to get the charging handle to unlock the first day I had the car because it's not in the manual. Audi roadside had no idea so the lady at roadside did a three-way call while we called different dealer service departments until we found someone who knew how.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Wasn't the e-golf a half baked compliance vehicle? I swear I read that it doesn't have any active cooling for the battery system and range drops off precipitously.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

dialhforhero posted:

I can then only assume that since no e-Golfs are sold new in my region I am SOL on maintenance.

I was browsing Carvana so welp.

Have you looked at the BMW i3? How far is your commute?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Texas has the best grid other than ercot not allowing net metering anymore. I was using griddy last year with spot pricing and my average kwh cost was like 7.5c . On fall windy days in the morning the prices would frequently go negative.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I had an idea for an a/c system that would compress 1000lbs of propane when electricity was negative priced and then use that as the a/c refrigerant during the day. Unfortunately this is "insane" and "dangerous".

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Do you have the 20", 21" or 22" wheels ?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I kinda think Nikola is vapourware ATM but I'd say this seems likely.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-rival-nikola-scores-deal-to-make-thousands-of-1000-horsepower-electric-garbage-trucks-130025051.html

Garabge trucks able to burn off sports cars would be hilarious.

Nikola has a warehouse with a pile of used Tesla batteries and a single peterbilt ev/hydrogen conversion. They have no factory and about 1/10th of the cash needed to start producing vehicles.
Their founder spends all day on Twitter/Instagram pretending to be a dollar store Elon Musk but with no charisma.

They will never release a vehicle. The whole thing was a pump and dump scam to inflate the values during a stock merger.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

The etron 50 is also missing the sound reading glass and some other stuff like driver assistance features IIRC.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

McPhearson posted:

The i3 went from 2,207 sold last year to 251. That is bad.

It's priced so high you may as well order a model 3.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

I just discovered the A7 PHEV which looks pretty awesome and would come in a bit cheaper than an e-tron 55 for me. Not sure if a PHEV is the best of both worlds or the worst. Really suspecting I just need to wait to mid 2021 for the GT and get the car I actually want. The A7 looks pretty nice though http://www.audi.ch/ANUNB7FV

It was much easier deciding what car to get when I could only afford a Corolla.

I am basically restricted to Audi or BMW because of the insane corporate discount, the BMW choices look way less good at the moment. iX3 just looks really gawky.

Driving dynamics of an etron are completely on another planet from any ICE or PHEV.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Just left my etron at the dealer because the tail lights stopped working. 800 miles on the clock.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Nidhg00670000 posted:

IMO PHEVs are definitely a better environmental proposition than some people think.

My friend has a VW Passat PHEV, and the battery of that thing is just enough for him to get to work in the winter. He charges at work, and then makes it home. On a regular working week, he never uses any petrol. At the same time, if he needs to do some towing or go on a family trip, he can just do that with no more planning than in a regular ICE car.

Having people driving around with batteries that have ten times the capacity needed for 99% of their driving is incredibly wasteful, and that's without going into the huge problems with battery metals.

I mean, considering the enormous damage oil-producing countries and companies do to the world by virtue of not just leaving it in the ground, I'd say this whole thing of trying to shift responsibility to the individual is not cool.

Not to cause a political argument but batteries are 100% recyclable until the end of time and all the materials can be obtained domestically in a safe manner. I work in the oil industry (exploration/geology side) and the levels of danger for oil production are so understated.

Plus once you burn the gas it's gone forever.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

stirlo posted:

I recall when we did a bit of subcontracting in that field; the safety per hour / incidences for any sort of accident was averaged out over All Staff (i think this included contractors too!) ; people on off shore rigs were in the same total as administrative staff who worked out of fairly standard on-shore offices ; far away from any refineries or other related dangers...

I'm talking about pulling up radioactive water and accidentally drenching the crew, popping a water table on a frack site, plants exploding, plants drenching the entire city of Houston in toxic fumes for two weeks straight, spills, gently caress the list goes on.

We will always need hydrocarbons but it is a dirty dirty business. On the flip side it's one of the last bastions of absolute bleeding edge science and industry.

Also the people on site are generally contractors or sub-contractors so their injuries may not have been reported. Also offshore is apparently one of the safest/nicest places to be now. I've heard some of the rigs are like floating Marriotts.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Never ever put money down on a lease. If the car were to be totaled driving off the lot you would instantly lose all that money. There is an alternative knows as MSDs where you can put money up front that you get back at the end of the lease to drop the monthly payment.

Also check out sites like Lease Hacker where people post their deals to give you an idea of what's possible. If you live in a non flyover state or are willing to have a car shipped you can just spend $200-$500 and hire a broker who will do absolutely everything for you.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Would wrecking the car on Day 1 not be covered by your insurance? I am guessing not, presumably due to shittiness of car insurance in the US, but it seems absolutely crazy from a Euro perspective. The lease agreements require that you get full cover insurance anyway.

I have managed to wean myself off the idea of leasing a Taycan by realising that if I get an e-tron 55 instead, after 36 months the money saved would be enough to buy the Tacan's residual value.

Your insurance is going to pay the lienholder so they are whole. You would not get your money back.
Imagine you go and lease a car and put absolutely nothing down. You total the car driving out of the parking lot. You are out of pocket nothing.

Now imagine you go and put $7200 or $3600 down to drop the payment $200/100 per month on a 36 month lease. You total the car pulling out of the lot. Your money is now gone.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Did an airport run in the e-tron today. 100 miles round trip and I did about 90mph average moving speed with lots of hard acceleration. Shockingly it resulted in only losing an extra 10 miles or so of range. I very much appreciate the car will take a beating and simply just ask for more with no fuss.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Kreez posted:

After 3 weeks of frustrating experiences with multiple Hyundai dealers, we finally managed to get a dealer to present us with an offer sheet that was actually equivalent to the price advertised on their website. But of course even these guys felt the need to try and slip a $250 wheel lock set into the final paperwork after we'd verbally confirmed the number. $800 above MSRP, but at least it's what they were advertising. I've never been involved in buying a car from a dealer before, and I'm not anxious to do it again anytime soon. If I had to have another exchange along the lines of "So can you just give us the out the door price?" "Well what you have to understand about the two tone paint is that the chief designer of Audi..." I'll go insane.

The Kona (and EVs in general I suppose) is super fun to drive though, the acceleration from stop is crazy compared to my ancient WRX that takes about 2 minutes for the turbo to spool up. Looking forward to borrowing it!

This is why you just goto tesla.com and put in a credit card number. Done deal in about 45 seconds.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Nitr0 posted:

Lmao. Then go thru 6 - 12 months of waiting, delays, issues to end up with a panel gapped leaky shitbox.

👍🏼👌🏻

My wife's model y was ready in a week and had no issues. Something tells me you have an agenda.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Elviscat posted:

Just run a proper 60A sub panel out there.

Imo run a full 200A service. I put a 100A panel for 2 60A outlets and wish I had more.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Charles posted:

It's in-between the Q5 and Q7 for size, except 35mm lower in height than the Q5.

That must be measured at the lowest air ride height. Had a loaner Q5 when mine was in the shop and the Q5 was significantly smaller. Etron is closer to the q8 than anything.

Shamino fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Sep 17, 2020

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

McPhearson posted:

I'm in San Diego and with electricity delivery included my rates range from $0.25328 per kwh during super off-peak hours to $0.49627 per kwh during on-peak hours. I don't get how other people are paying so little.

wtf that's insane. At 50c/kwh your payback on solar is in the 2-3 year range.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

~Coxy posted:

During peak periods you're not going to be generating anything with rooftop PV.

Pretty sure the sun is up from 2PM to 8PM, but it's been a year since I've been to California so maybe that's changed.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

MomJeans420 posted:

Solar drops off very quickly as the day goes on (this is California on roughly the longest day of the year)
*edit* and peak demand is around 6pm

NIMBYism keeping more housing from being built in the cities and suburbs kind of means people are forced to move out to previously unpopulated areas, but yeah there are areas that probably shouldn't be populated. Or be populated and expect living in the city level of service.

That chart shows that you're still producing 60% of peak at 6PM. If you have a flat peak and off-peak pricing you're still extremely far ahead with solar.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Ola posted:

A point I usually bring up when we come round to discussing energy storage, a cheaper way might be to store the energy in the form you want to use it. In California, that might be for air conditioning. So you could be using surplus energy to cool a liquid in an insulated container, then use that liquid to cool the house in the afternoon. A simpler example if you have an electric water heater and differentiated tariffs, you could probably put a timer on the heater plug so it only runs at night. You'll probably earn back the meager automation investment in a month or two.

We should just re-design A/C systems to compress huge amounts of propane instead of just doing like 10lbs of freon at a time. Compress 600lbs of propane at 3AM when electricity is basically free and then gradually run it through the refrigeration cycle over the day.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Gamesguy posted:

NKLA bought their truck design from a Croatian guy for a few thousand dollars, it was his college thesis project.
https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreet...tm_source=share

Literally nothing was real on that truck, even the infotainment display was a hidden laptop displaying a static image.

https://mobile.twitter.com/InsiderNikola/status/1308126584843329537

I got probated for posting this without source in this thread a few months ago. 😑

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

If anyone has $4800 you can get a bolt for three years:
https://forum.leasehackr.com/t/signed-2020-chevy-bolt-lt-one-pay-4481-midwest/296598
If you're a Texas resident there is a $2500 rebate. Brings the payment down to effectively $63/mo.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

I just want to complain and say that the audi software is the worst garbage in the world. e-tron started charging yesterday during the day (despite being configured to only charge from 11pm to 5am) which coincided with super spike electricity rates so I would up charging while electricity was $1/kwh. Also 9 times out of 10 the stupid app throws a 500 ISE.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Nfcknblvbl posted:

$1/kWh is nuts, that's like $80 to fully charge an E-Tron at that rate.

We pay wholesale rate through Griddy. So most of the time were only paying 1-2c/kwh and when there are spikes we just turn off the a/c, lights, etc. ERCOT updates pricing every 5 mins and most spikes don't last more than half an hour. .IMO it's a pretty good system as long as all your IOT devices are willing to play along.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

knox_harrington posted:

Uh it's not just individuals complaining on Twitter

J.D. Power rates Tesla electric vehicles as lowest quality auto brand in 2020 study
https://eu.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2020/06/24/jd-power-iqs-tesla-electric-vehicles-2020/3249943001/

Only 1 in 4 teslas is free of defects says volume buyer
https://www.electrive.com/2019/08/17/electric-car-rental-nextmove-cancels-tesla-order/

More than 90 percent of Tesla cars roll off the assembly line defective, report says
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanjose/news/2017/11/29/tesla-model-3-production-defects-fremont-tsla.html

Man it's almost like there are a lot of people with massive bets against Tesla who are doing everything possible to slander the brand (not to mention the absolutely deranged people who think Elon Musk is a nazi diamond mine owner.)

How about how every single Ford ecoboost 3.5 sold from 2015-2019 has a design flaw that will detonate the motors if not corrected? Or the Fiesta transmission problems? I don't see a cadre of people coming out every time someone mentions ford going "watch out the driveline will explode you better buy an Audi!! "

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This is a gross post.

This is a disgusting attitude, like ew. Do you even?

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

MrLogan posted:

Any strong opinions on the e-tron? Our local dealer has leftover 2019s heavily discounted.

How accurate is the 205 mile range?

Software is dogshit beyond words, even fordpass/sync3 is better. Your tail lights will burn out, chargepoint chargers are hit or miss making road trips dangerous, the center console is comically small. The Audi dealers are extremely unhelpful because they have some weird vendetta against electric cars.

Fit and finish is nice, the range is accurate, it's FUN to drive. You can absolutely rail through twisty corners.

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

You’re right. Let’s not talk about EVs, in the EV thread.

Do you have some sort of disorder where cars bigger than a miata ran over your family?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shamino
Mar 14, 2008

For what it's worth when the c6 corvette came out they had to recall all of them because they got a bad batch of epoxy from a supplier and lots of people were having their roofs come off on the treeway. I'm guessing it's a similar story with Tesla.

I took my etron to the mall on Saturday and parked in the front at one of the ev charging spots. In the 10 minutes I spent repeatedly rebooting the car to get it to start charging I had no less than three people stop to ask questions and take pictures because they had no idea Audi made an electric car.
The one guy was very concerned that having an electric car would add hundreds of dollars a month to his electric bill.

Good job Audi marketing team.