Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hello and welcome to your new and OTA updated Electric Vehicle thread!

Firstly some house keeping -

1) General Automotive Insanity rules apply aka dont be an rear end in a top hat - refresh yourselves here : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920353

2) Musk Chat is frowned on. Please take it to our dedicated thread about racist, chuds and bootlickers - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006636

Or go to CSPAM : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Alternatively if you want to avoid CSPAM, YOSPOS has Musk chat : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643

3) Excessive Stanning for *insert brand here* is also frowned on. Truly excessive fanboyism aka "Bazingas" will be met with a thread ban.

4) NEW - Cruft bylaw ha been voted in and is now in effect. If you come in and say you bought a EV, you must post pics or you will be sixxed with this - :)

Speaking about your likes and dislikes is still encouraged as well as discussing issues that have good solid evidence. There's plently of people who are dissemination information in bad faith out on the wider Internet so please avoid randos on Twitter.

08-08-2022 - All threadbans lifted

If you have any questions, comments, suggestions, feel free to bring them up and speak to me via PM. Also if you feel that some one is not complying with the rules, absolutly please still report them.

----------------

Whats welcome and encouraged in this thread -

1) DIY EV

There is a rapidly developing EV modding community that is creating their own EV's or modfying existing ones. This is still early days but what is already happening is exciting and opens up possibilities to extend the life of cars we know and love. Within AI we have two projects -

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3911577 - FD RX7

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3853783 - 280ZX

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904277 - Alfa 105E

2) New and coming EV's

3) Ownership of EV's

We know EV's do have issues. That's part of onwership of any car - and we know Teslas especially do have production problems. That's fine. Whats not fine is barging in delcaring EV's all suck, they are all frauds, govts suck for handing out subsidies etc or one particular brand is made from the skins of baby whales.

Many of us are looking to go EV as our next purchase and I would prefer it if issues are discussed with facts so informed choices can be made.

4) PHEV's - Plugin Hybrids are also more than welcome

5) Racing EV's

Because EV's can be fast so lets go use them fast. Formula E chat is very much allowed.

Own a EV (4 wheels, two wheels or no wheels) or just interested? Everyone bar the Sicilian / nitr0 is welcome :)

Edit : The answer to the thread title is here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3932649&perpage=40&pagenumber=160#post514365804

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?goto=post&postid=535372112#post535372112

cruft's second guide to charging standards

Preface: connectors vs protocols

The first thing you have to understand is that there are (at least) two aspects to a charger: there's the physical connector and the protocol.

It's not unlike USB, Apple's lightning cable, and Thunderbolt. There are different connectors that go into different ports, but even then, you might get different functionality based on what the devices are capable of.

So with USB3 (the blue connector), you can plug a USB3 hard drive into a 2005 laptop, but you won't get USB3 speeds, because the laptop only speaks USB2. Similarly, even though you can adapt USB C to USB A, that doesn't mean old phone chargers can fast charge new phones: a high-quality older USB charger will never provide more than 10W.

Common Protocols in the United States:

• SAE J1772: The Protocol
  • CHAdeMO: The Protocol
  • CCS
  • Tesla

Common plugs in the United States:

• SAE J1772: The Plug
  • CHAdeMO: The Plug
  • CCS1: J1772 with two more (fat) pins at the bottom.
  • NACS: also known as "Tesla plug"

Chargers You Might Find in the US in the year 2026:

• SAE J1772 = J1772 (protocol) + J1772 (plug): L2 chargers everywhere
  • CHAdeMO = CHAdeMO (protocol) + CHAdeMO (plug): That crazy thing the Nissan LEAF uses, and nobody else
  • CCS1 = CCS (protocol) + CCS1 (plug): What's on the Bolt and Mach E
  • NACS L2 = J1772 (protocol) + NACS (plug): What cruft has in his driveway
  • NACS CCS = CCS (protocol) + NACS (plug): What PlugShare is installing. V4 Superchargers probably also do this. V3 superchargers might: there's no way to check until somebody other than Tesla makes a NACS car.
  • NACS Tesla = Tesla (protocol) + NACS (plug): Superchargers

The NACS connector + CCS protocol is undergoing a standardization process that may yield something different, or may be the same thing we have now in 2023. Whatever we wind up with will be called SAE J3400, and will be what everybody gets with their 2026 GM EV.

Adapters that might exist in 2026:

• SAE J1772 -> NACS L2: These come with every Tesla
  • NACS L2 -> SAE J1772: This is being sold right now as a "TeslaTap"
  • CHAdeMO -> NACS Tesla: For a while, you could buy these for $450 from Tesla. They come with a teeny computer inside them to translate the protocols.
  • CCS1 -> NACS CCS: Tesla is currently selling these, but it requires the car to speak CCS, and they're not selling that retrofit yet
  • NACS CCS -> CCS1: This would be a pretty easy thing to make. But it might never get made, because people are going to assume it's a NACS Tesla -> CCS1 adapter, discover it isn't, and leave one-star reviews.

Adapters I don't think you will ever see:

• CHAdeMO -> Anything: Would require expensive computers and cost $400 or more
  • Anything -> CHAdeMO: Same story. Don't buy a LEAF.
  • NACS Tesla -> CCS1: It's possible Tesla can push a firmware update to V1-3 superchargers that will get them speaking CCS in addition to the Tesla protocol. If they do this, we might see this adapter. But I have heard that the current state of car-side CCS implementation is a horror show, and Tesla might not want to wade into the same perception of low reliability that EA and their pals currently get accused of. More thoughts on this (warning: in October 2023 it's beginning to look like I guessed wrong)
  • NACS CCS -> NACS Tesla: This is what Tiny Timbs is talking about. I don't think it'll get made.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

There's also a YOSPOS Tesla thread that I can only assume is much better than the CSPAM one (I'm never going into CSPAM). Why is The Sicilian banned anyway? I don't know who that is.

The Sicilian was a really god awful poster who turned the first EV thread into a smoking crater with constant fights with pretty much anyone.

I'll add YOSPOS as an alternate for Musk Chat.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 14, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

These rules definitely seem fair and balanced, as does the IK. We cant even post articles from certain sites now because they don’t align with the position of the IK? The same IK who tried to deflect Tesla quality issues with a “but what about Subaru?” post that’s apparently now against the rules?

And then we have people “disseminating information in bad faith” online. What exactly is the bar for this? Is it anything that the IK/mod doesn’t agree with?

It seems weird that the mod post in the last thread was “hey there are a lot of reports” and barely any posters engaged with it or cited concerns, and then we come around to a new thread with threats of threadbans if you don’t toe the line.

I'm happy to give you a more thoughtful and longhand answer tomorrow if you would like.

But the short answer is I actually have no real opinion other than I like EV's as a car nerd, I'm highly interested where it's all going and both sides extreme of the EV debate are utterly insufferable and there is a lot of genuine bullshit on the Internet in regards to especially Tesla by pro and anti factions. And that the main point here is please consider your sources before declaring them factual. If in the unlikely event Zerohedge says something factual about Tesla or Electrek says some thing absurdly positive about EV's that has other good respectible sources backing it up.... that's fair game.

As far as I am aware the only person to be threadbanned in AI from any topic is The Sicilian and hoooo boy did he earn that - ie the bar for being kicked is awfully high and you really gonna have to earn it - and any decision to threadban wont be arbitrary and nor will it be one persons call. You're not even getting any admonishment if you disagree with me, hell, I'll be happy to engage and discuss for hours. If you get the flamethrowers out or poo poo up the discussion with really excessive fanboi or "Ev's are powered by the heart of a dead orphan!!!'(*)" then thats different. SA also have places you can shitpost about Musk and it's all a scam etc to your hearts content - we're trying more to focus about the cars and not what turns EV chat into poison and just awful to read. I personally have no objective other than to have this thread calm and enjoyable.

(*) If it turns out the Cybertruck actually IS powered by the heart of a dead orphan.... then go for it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Here's a question for the thread rules - do we consider something like below appropriate for this thread? It's more autonomous vehicle related

A German court just banned the use of the term "autopilot" for Teslas in Germany. This is not surprising, and if we were under any other regulatory environment than the current one in the US I would have expected the terms "autopilot" and "full self driving" to already have been banned from use by Tesla.

Yep, fair game.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Huh, really? I always assumed it was a similar limit to here, 44 tonnes, so 97,000lbs.

Surprised the US is lower, especially by so large a margin.

I'm surprised too. The usual max weight is 42.5 tonne (92,000lb) or 55 tonne for a B-Double here. Let alone the Outback's Road Trains that regularly get to 150 tonne - but that's spread out over more axles too so it's not as road damaging as it sounds.

From what I've read a Tesla truck is about 2 tonne heavier than a regular one. Not sure how much difference that will make to the average load in the USA

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

elbkaida posted:

I've got no experience driving with these kind of systems so don't really know what exactly do you do different when they're on. How does it make the drive easier? I'm guessing you still keep an eye on the road but just kinda sit there.

Idont quite have a DD that is Tesla level auto drive features but I find that I tend to be looking further up the road and just allowing the car to travel with flow of traffic. I don't view it as a replacement for my own eyes but as a second or third set - it really does just make long distances less mentally tiring esp with the fact the car is doing everything to drive to the exact speed I want it to be. More traditional cruise control can wander up and down in speed, it cant hold distances to other cars, you have to intervene regularly etc. Going from Sydney to Melbourne where you don't have to touch either the brakes or the accelerator once (800 odd kms) means I can stretch out more too.

It doesnt sound like much but you really do notice the difference if you are in the car for a long time. I'm not as sore and I am mentally doing a lot better.

Also no matter how good a driver or how aware you are, everyone makes mistakes. Having the car say LOLNO or WARNING! if you are going to change lanes when there's something too close is awesome.

I personally do not trust the car to see and stop if I see traffic coming to a halt ahead so I'll take over. Thats just me however, I'm aware the car will stop as required. I just cant get mentally past trusting the car to do that - I def usually see much further up the road than the sensors can so I'm on the brakes well before the car would be braking usually.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

gwrtheyrn posted:

What happened, depending on who you asked, was the dealer bought a used car from tesla that may or may not have had FSD/EAP advertised on it. Tesla claims the price paid did not include FSD/EAP. The dealer goes on to sell it, advertising FSD/EAP. Someone buys it assuming it has FSD/EAP, which tesla realizes "isn't paid for" and disables it at date after purchase. The key here is from tesla--this wasn't a direct person to person sale, and there is no evidence that tesla will remove FSD/EAP from cars that are not sold back to them, at which point they presumably have the full right to add/remove value to the car.

I gotta admit this is doing my brain in a bit trying to follow who said what and who did what. So what I am reading is that Tesla as the owner of the car in the first instance says FSD wasnt included but didnt disable it. Car dealer onsells with FSD still enabled. Eventual owner gets FSD disabled when they in good faith believed it should have been enabled - Thats correct?. If thats right, then I'd say that was Tesla's mistake in that they should have done their work to disable FSD before it went out the door so they should wear it.

I know it's standard practice by car manufacturers and dealers to change options either up or down to maximise used car sales but this whole notion of important big name features being at the mercy of car makers that can be in effect sold twice as "upgrades" is a concern that wont be limited to Tesla in the coming years.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Nostalgic Cashew posted:

This is both interesting and a bit disappointing. Any vehicle you like - as long as it is a SUV or truck. :/

The only thing that looks cool is the Hummer. The rest are interesting in GM taking EV's seriously and the depressing reality of modern cars

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

You'd think the FTC or some state Attorney General would have brought a claim by this point, but at least for blue states I think it wouldn't be a great idea politically so they don't do it. That's the only reason I can think of. See for example, Tesla defying orders in Alameda county just to reopen a few days early to make a point, they now have 130 employees with COVID-19 (they claim only 10 came from the factory, but that is very suspect), and no one in the local government did anything in response to them opening illegally.

I think this is veering into Musk Chat territory. Reglatory issues about the cars is fine, Musk being a fuckwit in the middle of a pandemic I'd like to avoid here.

RZA Encryption posted:

This is getting tiresome to read/scroll past.

Agreed.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It*really* shouldnt need to be said, but dont post yourself taking photos while driving.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yuns posted:

Out of curiosity, has anyone been able to Scandi flick their non-performance AWD Model 3? (obviously I'm asking about on tracks or closed roads not asking about public hooliganism).

The two things you need is

a) Stability control absoluty off

b) The ability to weight shift the car hard

With those two, you should be able to unladen the rear end and get the pendulum effect going. No I havent tried. But Teslas for me are kinda the cars with all the mass down low and between the axles that arent that great to get decent weight shift going without some rough handed driving. Give me a car and some gravel, I'm sure I could work out the best way to do it pretty fast :) Even quicker if ABS can be turned off via a fuse being pulled.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

No more auto-tragic gearbox chat please.

Edit - Comparing the driving experience to a EV is okay, if it only is about an automatic gearbox itself I'd prefer for it to go elsewhere.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 21, 2020

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Dont know if it's been pointed out but Big Taint has a hell of a EV project you should have a look at.....

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904277

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wouldnt be the first time dealer stupidity hits sales of an interesting car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Finger Prince posted:

In the case of those, I can kind of see it from the salesmen's point of view. You've got a customer on the hook that wants to spend some money, but you haven't got any of what they want on the lot, and you can't give them an accurate estimate of when they'll get any... Losing... Sale... But! You can Drive Away Today! in whatever we've got in stock, special price, just for you! (and Ol' Gil gets to eat this week!). Audi has e-trons on the lot.

A good salesman would do a ring around to find one.

However it's the dealership model thats the problem here. You aren't Audi's prospective customer. The dealer is the one who buys the cars from Audi, they are the ones on the hook for their stock levels and thence there is a considerable amount of pressure to sell what the dealership has on the lot. You then end up with issues about markups, dealers not wanting to sell certain models etc etc.

A non traditional sales model where you are buying from the car maker itself means you avoid those issues and also the car makers themselves see the orders and sees not what the dealerships want.... but what you want. I kind of suspect one of the reasons why the cheapest Model 3 never existed is Tesla saw the pre orders for everything else and saw there wasnt any real demand for it. Under a dealership system that may well have been different but that in the end is trying to guess an alternate timeline.

For what it's worth it does look like the dealer model of car sales is hurting EV takeup

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Do not post yourself doing something stupid. Refrain from the gently caress offs too please, just hit the report buttons.

Thank you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MomJeans420 posted:

Electric pickup could have a market (larger than the nerds in AI, who don't count), but is there a huge electric Hummer market? Although if you assume most of them are used for driving to and from work and looking uncool when you pull up to the club, no reason they need to be ICE.

The thought of one of the most obnoxious pieces of poo poo ever turned into a vehicle and usually owned by equally obnoxious assholes returning as a 700+KW EV is hilarious and I sooo hope it comes to pass. I think this is absoltuly brilliant by GM to blow some redneck brains

A Hummer with Bugatti Veyron type power and acceleration. Just ponder that for a bit.....

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It wasnt ruled illegal, more that the driver didnt take proper care and the judge threw out his arguments.

https://www.thedrive.com/news/35301/tesla-model-3-driver-has-license-suspended-by-judge-after-adjusting-wipers-via-touchscreen

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I kinda think Nikola is vapourware ATM but I'd say this seems likely.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-rival-nikola-scores-deal-to-make-thousands-of-1000-horsepower-electric-garbage-trucks-130025051.html

Garabge trucks able to burn off sports cars would be hilarious.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I was gonna go sail the Fjords this year :(

So.... you would be pining for the fjords?

I'll see myself out

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

Lol nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Not like this please.

Elviscat posted:

Tesla Autopilot's implementation and marketing are a significant issue though, an issue that has a disturbing number of fatalities associated with it.

Ola posted:

For bad internet discussions sure, not for good ones actually discussing a specific use case between sensible people.

Just keep it respectful, factual and (in my opinion) dont dwell too much on idiots ignoring warnings and presuming they don't have to pay attention to 2.5 ton of motor vehicles too much. I would personally love to read some deep dives into self drive tech and go for pros and cons of the various ideas and implementations.

knox_harrington posted:

Actually that's a good point, is their self-driving tech sufficiently better than the competition to justify a look in on that alone?

Well in my opinion it's in general impressive. It's better than anything else I've driven but is it that much father ahead? I ...... well..... it's a good deal ahead of most ACC's for sure but is it better than top level availible with other cars, that I cant say - I just dont know. Tesla's real advantages lie elsewhere I think and things like Supercharging really is a reason to look at Tesla alone.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Gamesguy posted:

No it won't. New factories are capex and do not affect profit.

Capex is tied in with depreciation, which does affect profits. In some cases you can write off the capex immediatly.

Annnnd getting back onto EV's, had a look at a 2020 Leaf yesterday which I kinda liked - it would be a fairly decent (and surprsingly large, I really thought it would be smaller that that) city car esp as I'm not going to find a drat thing anymore for what my use is without a CVT or a awful auto.

Buuuuuuuuuut.........

55 thousand dollars -_-

JFC what the hell, this is not 55K worth of car by a long shot even where cars are not cheap - this is getting into Golf R territory and well above a Hyunday i30N Performance. EV's are sensationally overpriced here, no loving wonder they arent really selling.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

CannonFodder posted:

Are there no tax credits in Australia?

No there isnt. And even if we had say a 10K subsidy, 45K for what you get in a Leaf is still not great - Thats still in with the higher end hatchbacks and performace options. You would have to be basically only buying the Leaf because it's an EV and not because it's better value or does anything better.

https://www.hyundai.com/au/en/cars/sports-cars/i30-n

We have that within the price bracket. Now sure a genuine hot hatch isnt quite the same or cross shopping, but it shows that EV's are just not priced well. Even in the Hyundai dealership you look at EV's they now have, the IONIQ is still 55K or more. A Kona EV starts at 63K... which is rather off putting when he regular Kona is 20K LESS at minimum. The gap just gets more ridiculous if you scale down a few model levels.

And with a 7K price difference between a base Kona EV and a Model 3 Standard Plus.... well there's really no debate, it's a Model 3 anyday.

As an aside, it was noticable inventory levels in car dealers was low and there were remarkably few people even kicking tyres.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

"Driving as a Service" is one of the most depressing concepts I've read with cars I've read in a long time.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elviscat posted:

I got scammed into reading this poo poo article about Tesla's thermal management system, and I just wanted to pop in to say how much I hate EV "journalists"

I hate that EV "journalist" too now. JFC that article was just loving awful

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

So... now Skoda made an electric SUV thing, I guess it's the sister car to the ID.4 so the specs should be identical:

There's an ipad on the dashboard but otherwise looks ok. This should be self-explanatory enough. But lol at 160km/h maximum speed.

Some odd decisions in an otherwise interesting car

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The insurance offtopic has gone on for long enough and is going around in circles - No more please. Especially when we have a shiny new EV to pour over

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

EV Supercar Rallycross?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUwRnBhtevE

Yes pls. Also Burnout level = Australian

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

This is very interesting, take with a slight grain of salt but some things in this article about Nikola seem credible. The source does some pretty good investigations but is tainted by accusations of short and distort.

https://hindenburgresearch.com/nikola/

Highlights that I believe are true or very plausible:
Nikola's nominal running, driving prototype at launch was nonfunctional and hooked up to hotel power to run screens, hvac, lights etc.
The commercial involved pushing an unpowered prototype down a very straight hill and shooting it deceptively to make it appear that the unit was under power.
Supposedly bought high density battery company but was actually defrauded
Hydrogen cost claims are absurd / bogus
a bunch of stuff they claim to develop in house is supplier sourced and they actively cover it up and lie about it

it would be nice if someone could do something in this industry without trying to do a bunch of fraud.

I would take that article with a huge grain of salt - its from a notorious short seller bomb thrower thats had some accusations thrown back in return that has a financial stake in seeing shares drop for the EV company in question. (Which you already pointed now Ive come back from reading so Im being redundant)

That said.... their article has some pretty damning stuff that does check out. Def worth going through to find confirmation

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

GM's stake was almost certainly a stock price play and not a value play, but I'm sure that if this thing gets off the ground GM will be making money off production, and I imagine they are serving as a supplier as well since Nikola evidently can't actually build a truck.

BTW, thanks for that link you posted. Some of it Hindenburg are reaching but it's pretty clear trying to verify what they say they ain't the first to say Nikola have no working prototype and there really is plenty to be suspect about otherwise.

Should be easy for them to disprove Hindenberg and Bloomberg. Dare a Tesla truck to a drag race with a trailer on the back and then show up at the closest racetrack.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

the driver's door kept popping back open. Will inform the owner now.

Not throwing doubt at you but do you mind elaborating on this? How and when was the car doing it?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Absorbs Smaller Goons posted:

gently caress doing yard work with cabled tools, especially for mowers/trimmers. It's a huge hassle and I'd rather use gas powered tools than mess with a wire getting all over the place.

I have a big, tough to maintain yard and to be honest the Ryobi battery electric toolset is 90% of time more than up to the task except for mowing. I'll use a 800w cabled hedge trimmer for the other 10%

A battery mower is okay for the front but at this point in time, the back yard is big enough that I either have to use 70-80 meters of power cord or just accept the two stroke mower right now is the best for the job

quote:

despite Ryobi not always having the best reputation for their other battery powered tools

Personally Ryobi ONE+ have hit a "cheap, tough, reliability - you can have all three this time" that means I've got a whole slew of ONE+ tools and have never had a tool fail and only lost a battery because it got left in the rain.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Hi. I would much prefer not to give anyone a cool down time out.

Thanks and insert bad overdone joke about TED talks here.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

I think maybe the mods missed a joke there

"Bird with Small Probation"

Next time maybe?

Westy543 posted:

Yo looks like Ford is dodging the whole dealership thing on the Mach E - guess they bit the $15k markup in the bud.

https://evbite.com/ford-to-fully-immerse-the-mustang-mach-e-with-an-online-buying-process/

Given I think traditional dealerships are a problem with gaining EV sales, this is a drat good idea by Ford. I hope it plays out well.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

~Coxy posted:

If 50˘ peak period is really from 2 then that seems bananas. Why wouldn't the utility have some west facing PV if they are that desperate?

But regardless, home-scale rooftop PV faces the sun. By 2 you're on the tail end and when you actually arrive at home you're not producing or at least not exporting.

I'm not sure how you are coming to this conclusion as the rooftop solar I have is very much in spring / summer and early autumn producing anywhere from 70-90% max output well up until half hour before sunset. It's westerly facing of course but I can see it is exporting back to the grid deep past 7pm and really coming into export about 12pm. It's not big system but it covers my normal usage for 9 months of the year

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

taqueso posted:

How many sticks of dynamite are equivalent to a powerwall?

I'm soooo tempted to change the thread title

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

You better before I do it. :colbert:

And so be it :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Westy543 posted:

Plaid Model S will be available late next year, tri motor awd, advertised with 200 mph top speed, <2 second 0-60, <9 second quarter mile, $140k. They did a lap at leguna seca in 1:30.3.

I dont doubt those claims (still want to see video!) but it would be interesting to see how repeatable they are back to back. Lets see em pull those quarters back to back like a Taycan

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

You're only gonna pull that number once at a nhra strip before getting ejected tho, so repeatability isn't a concern. :haw:

So you would need a cage and race suit to hot lap?

Blatantly stolen from the Tech Nightmare thread in D&D

https://www.teslarati.com/tesla-q2-2020-us-auto-exports/

Tesla are 1/3rd of all car exports from the USA now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ola posted:

I know we should avoid this, but the cult of Elon is taking weirder turns by the day. Anthropomorphic broccolis now.

Yes you should avoid it :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 26, 2020