Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You seem very concerned with the rules. Just post. The twitter rule is "don't post randos". I think the common interpretation of that is "don't post unsubstantiated claims from people that have no known credibility to be making them". If there's a tweet video of a spark ev vs a leaf drag race, absolutely post it. elviscat, lets do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Loucks posted:

I have a model 3 in the garage and think that it’s useful to be able to share examples of lovely Tesla electric vehicle QC here, in the electric vehicle thread, even if it’s posted to the Nazi bird site. I relied on that sort of thing when we took delivery of the car as a checklist of stuff to watch out for and now just in case I missed something. Ours is great, but that doesn’t mean it’s unwise to know what you might be getting yourself into.

Great news! That's expressly encouraged in the rules!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hello and welcome to your new and OTA updated Electric Vehicle thread!

3) Ownership of EV's

We know EV's do have issues. That's part of onwership of any car - and we know Teslas especially do have production problems. That's fine. Whats not fine is barging in delcaring EV's all suck, they are all frauds, govts suck for handing out subsidies etc or one particular brand is made from the skins of baby whales.

Many of us are looking to go EV as our next purchase and I would prefer it if issues are discussed with facts so informed choices can be made.

Loucks posted:

Also making fun of tesla (or any manufacturer) for being bad at making cars is funny even if they are often decent cars that are fun to drive. Weird that people get so upset about it.

Not only are you correct about this, but so many people agree with you that there are multiple threads for this! No one is silencing you! For your convenience, here they are, as they were presented in the rules!

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Hello and welcome to your new and OTA updated Electric Vehicle thread!

2) Musk Chat and TSLAQ is frowned on. Please take it to CSPAM : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862673

Alternatively if you want to avoid CSPAM, YOSPOS has Musk chat : https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3862643

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

My concern stems from the fact that people seemingly want to enforce rules for communities without engaging with them. Banning certain sites and post types because you don't personally like them without discussing it first is objectively bad.

So PM a mod or IK about it, talk about cars, not the thread. It's transparent to everyone here that those opposed to the new rules are those that are upset they can't threadshit anymore. Nobody is going to get probed if they're posing in good faith.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Fair, in that case you can have that open discussion in QCS: https://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=188

Maybe it would solve a lot of issues if we specifically got clarity on this:

quote:

There's plenty of people who are dissemination information in bad faith out on the wider Internet so please avoid randos on Twitter.

I read that as "don't post unsubstantiated claims from people that have no known credibility to be making them".

You and others seem to read it as "never post anything on twitter, the domain name associated with the information taints the information, regardless of the provenance of the information"

And I just cannot believe that interpretation is being made in good faith. Luckily, that's not my determination to make.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I wish I could buy a 2 door EV bronco

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

MomJeans420 posted:

I'm assuming they need to sell every one they make in the EU (at a loss if needed) so they can sell their high end / high margin cars and SUVs.

Too bad the Germans shut down so much of their nuclear power, although I think their coal is finally dropping. I'd like to see exactly how detailed these projections get, I'd guess none of them are the point where they're considering the increased wear and tear on the road due to the weight of EVs, necessitating more frequent repairs. Maybe I'm wrong on that, but that seems like a rabbit hole with no end.

*edit*
Actually I was just thinking of Teslas with regards to weight, I don't know how something like a Volt compares to similarly sized cars.

I wouldn't expect EVs to have an outsized impact on road condition.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not sure about other brands, but some of the reading I've done suggests Teslas keep track of how many kwhs they've charged via DC and drops your peak charge rate at a certain point to protect battery health. They don't distinguish between 10kwh at 25kw and 10kwh at 200kw either, so having a DCFC at home is probably less desirable for that reason alone.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Wow, this looks super compelling. I had counted nissan out.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

You adapt to it surprisingly quickly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I love a good Spark EV video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNu2LYBPoFU

I think the driver is just touring chargers in his area, since some of the distances between chargers are very short.

I wish my Spark had CCS. I was a fool.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lane changes, on/off ramp curves, and complex exit navigation (left at the first fork then right at the second one, etc) have very noticeably improved recently. I absolutely do not trust it to merge or let people in, but that's less due to its performance and more due to me not wanting it to make me look like an rear end in a top hat.

It's worth giving it another shot.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

Roughly yeah. The golf is 2016 like all the others I've found so it's only like 87 miles range which is a little too short. Leafs are super easy to find, so that's not really a huge problem, but the potential battery issues aren't really appealing if I can get something else for a similar price.

No sales tax up to certain price thresholds...then you get your $600 annual tabs and wonder if it was all worth it :v:, Well more like $300 since I'm not in the RTA area

I've bought two cars from these folks. They specialize in used EVs. Super nice to do business with.
https://www.paramountmotorsnw.com/home

Looks like they have a '17 Ionic EV in stock that might suit your needs.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Volkswagen Trademarks e-Beetle And Other Classic e-VW Names

1) There better be a performance e-Beetle called the lightning bug
2) I cannot wait to see what the e-Karmann looks like

If any of these see the light of day, that is.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

And was sold by Tesla with those features listed at auction, so why does it matter?

- Car returned as lemon
- car listed at auction advertising x,y,z features
- dealership buys car at auction with those features listed as being present on the car
- Tesla removes features after the sale is concluded
- dealership sells car to private party, dealer is aware that the features are changed but consider it a bug since it was advertised with those features
- Tesla tells new owner to piss off, and only after they get dragged on social media do they cave

I'm pretty sure this is an accurate series of events and I'm not sure what could be gained by hammering on this story more. This is getting tiresome to read/scroll past.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If you grip to the immediate left or right (depending on which hand you want to use) of the bottom spoke and let your arm hang there, there will be enough weight to show that you are present. Also, you'll be able to react when/if it veers unexpectedly. It might take some practice, but then you'll never get nagged.

But like, good lord, pay attention. You really need to be ready to take over.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

From the thumbnail I thought this was ammo in a rice cooker.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Completely valid, but that's what driver profiles are for! You can set different profiles to be loaded depending on which key fob/card is used to get in the car.

It would be really jarring if you mixed them up though. Maybe put a sticker on it or something.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

:siren: big oil lobbyist account found :siren:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I'm fine with it if it's renewably generated and run by the parks department. I def. don't want my public spaces brought to me by exxon/7-11/chargepoint/etc.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The thought of one of the most obnoxious pieces of poo poo ever turned into a vehicle and usually owned by equally obnoxious assholes returning as a 700+KW EV is hilarious and I sooo hope it comes to pass. I think this is absoltuly brilliant by GM to blow some redneck brains

A Hummer with Bugatti Veyron type power and acceleration. Just ponder that for a bit.....

If they charge it on a coal powered grid it'll be even worse environmentally! They're playing to the same audience as before!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Y'all, GM is finally spending money on building out a charging network. They're helping EVGo build 2,700 more fast chargers across the US. https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/07/gm-teams-up-with-evgo-to-deploy-more-than-2700-new-dc-fast-chargers/

Legitimately shocked to see GM reverse their position on investing in charging networks.

I'm happy to see this, but I hope they start putting more chargers per location. The EVGo's around me have one or two chargers per site. Not sure if it's different elsewhere.

MrLogan posted:

Yes, but I didn't think it would be this bad. Thought they'd have the process pretty automated at this point as a technology company.

I can't imagine having to deal with all this if I had a car issue.

It'd be cool if they partnered with a similar volume car company and let someone more established teach them how to do it. Mitsubishi sold fewer cars in the US in 2019 than Tesla (121k vs 195k). It looks like from a quick google there are a similar number of US Mitsubishi dealers and US Tesla Service locations. Seems like a win win if every Mitsubishi dealer could do Tesla service. More service revenue for Mitsubishi, more service capacity for Tesla. Of course, it'd be even better if they just invested in QA to eliminate some of the need for service in the first place.

I just took a look at Mitsubishi's website and I had no idea the Outlander PHEV had DC fast charging. Seems pretty excessive for a car with only 22 miles of EV range.

Wayne Knight fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Aug 1, 2020

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

gwrtheyrn posted:

The article said they're doing > 4 per location

🤦 Skimmed right past that.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

GM is thinking about making an EV-only brand to get some of that sweet, sweet investor money.

GM kicks around an idea to seize on EV enthusiasm, report says

quote:

GM now is war-gaming the idea as the company ponders different ways to get credit for its EV plans, though a spinoff isn’t actively being prepared, said the people, who asked not to be identified discussing internal deliberations. Barra was publicly asked about it in light of Tesla Inc.’s soaring valuation and the easy access to capital that unproven EV startups such as Nikola Corp. have pulled off by merging with blank-check companies.

“Investors are telling us every day that they are willing to invest in electric vehicles,” said Emmanuel Rosner, the Deutsche Bank analyst who asked Barra about the idea of a spinoff on July 29. “But they are doing it with electric-vehicle companies, not legacy companies.”

I'm sure they would invent a totally new marque, but I hope they bring back Saturn!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Beamed posted:

No daily commute (working remote almost in perpetuity, and biked to the office when it was open), but I'd probably do 20-30 miles total on any given week, with occasional 300-400 mile trips upstate, to Chicago, etc. Michigan weather so basically all kinds across the year, including snow. I would probably like to spend less than $50k, I've got good credit and can make a downpayment of probably $10k.

Get a Spark EV, pay cash, rent a car for your occasional long distance trips.

Make the common case easy and the rare case possible.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

If your state lets you get your car tinted darker than is legally allowed in other states, does that mean you can't drive to those states without risk of getting hassled?
cops don't need a reason to hassle you

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Just got back from a mini road trip (~850mi roundtrip) from the Seattle area to a remote cabin in Montana. Despite charging multiple times on the way there and back, we never really felt like we were waiting on the charge. It was usually done by the time we finished using the bathroom or eating. I'm not the type to try and optimize road trip miles per day, but I'm sure those folks would have an issue with it. We knew we were going to make it to and from the destination in a single day, so we weren't in any kind of rush.

A few notes:
  • We charged multiple times because we were unfamiliar with the terrain of the area around the cabin. We decided to top off as a precaution before exiting the interstate and heading to the more remote area.
  • Always use hand sanitizer after touching the charge handle
  • L2 driving features are wonderful for long stretches of I-90, but don't seem to "see" or react to deer running in front of you. Of course I saw it and was able to stop with plenty of time because ALWAYS PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOUR CAR IS IN MOTION.
  • Holy crap Lake Pend Oreille in Idaho is beautiful
  • I never get tired of seeing the Wild Horse Wind Farm

I'm realizing after typing this out that it doesn't seem to be very notable. I guess that's the message I'd want to send to people seeing if EVs can work for them. It all felt very normal, but I've definitely changed my view of normal. People who think that charging on trips is too much of an imposition should just try it. Eat your food slower or something. Give your brain a break. It's not a big deal and road trip charging breaks are not going to make up any significant portion of most peoples' ownership experience. Make the common case easy and the rare case possible.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I have two EVs, installed a 14-50 outlet with a 50 amp breaker, and only ever use an old 16A bosch evse plugged into it. I could get and use a 40A one, but the 16A was free and its been fine. I really don't drive a ton, though (especially now).

So running a 16A evse on the 20A breaker might be good enough for you?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Not a breaker breaker either! :v:

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I hate the angry eyes they give all cars today. This world is angry enough, cars don't need to be aggressive too.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

No it's their auto cruise control+lane keeping thing. It only works on certain roads that GM has mapped out and it uses eye tracking to make sure you're actually still looking at the road.

And it requires an On Star subscription to work.

https://www.autoblog.com/2020/08/16/cadillac-super-cruise-onstar-subscription-cost/
https://www.businessinsider.com/cadillac-super-cruise-trial-ends-soon-gm-to-start-charging-subscription-fees-report-2020-8
https://arstechnica.com/cars/2020/08/always-read-the-fine-print-gm-super-cruise-only-free-for-three-years/

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Humerus posted:

What a crock of poo poo, I've been looking into getting a used Bolt (so no supercruise either way) and as I understand it, to do remote preconditioning you also need OnStar? That actually really sucks because any Bolts I could afford would be done with the three year free OnStar. I'd love to have my car already cold when I'm ready to leave the beach or whatever.

When I bought my used Spark EV (and from an independent, non-chevy dealer) I got a free On Star trial. I was bummed when it ended, but it was nice while it lasted. You might get a free trial when it transfers ownership.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Finger Prince posted:

That being said, I do understand being upset about it. Just not extremely so. Many moons ago, I looked into getting laser eye surgery. They did all these tests and took a detailed scan of my eyes and determined I had larger than normal pupils, so in order to mitigate the chance of ending up with night halos, they would have to use the custom map that they just took of my eye and plug that into the laser machine, instead of the default map. They charged several thousand dollars to do this. Same laser, same equipment, same procedure, they just plug in the custom map they already have and charge you extra for it. I still wear glasses, because gently caress, that's just shady. But they're a for-profit business, so I figure shady upselling is pretty much expected. :capitalism:

And if you say "no thanks, default map please" they mash that big ol' "ENSURE NIGHT HALOS" button.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

VideoGameVet posted:

Fortunately the Escondido dealership is EV central ... and besides I liked the Niro EV better.

And so ...

Decent 15k mile/year lease deal.

Only sad is the 110v in the garage isn’t “good enough”. So I ordered the Costco 220v/110v charger.

Didn’t realize that California has a state rebate of $2K cash either.

Congrats, I know how long you've been in this thread waiting for the right time to get an EV. Looking forward to hearing your experiences as a new EV driver.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Ever since I got two very expensive tickets in a short amount of time I've been a "cruise control in the lane to the left of the rightmost lane" kind of person. Driving fast is fun, but I just save it for getting up to speed on on-ramps. Driving aggressively wears on you and the added stress isn't worth saving maybe 5 minutes. I guess I'm old now because I'd rather get somewhere relaxed than quickly.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Where are all those neighborhood-scale nuclear reactors I was reading about 10 or 15 years ago?

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Well that's timely.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

re: interesting car colors
I'd love to get the Spark EV wrapped in this pattern or something similar.

I looked into it and a full body wrap is like $3k. Now that's spooky!

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Westy543 posted:

Here's an ID.3 next to a Model 3 for size comparison (via Reddit):

I wanna see it next to a bolt. I think it looks real good, and I absolutely hate that they aren't bringing it over.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Need help from people with more experience in the full ev world . I am looking between a Kona Ultimate EV or a Model 3 Long Range. The Model 3 has some more range and AWD, however I am still very wary of the whole tech company making cars. The drivetrain warranty is pretty comparable between Hyundai and Tesla. What are the out of pocket repair costs for Teslas? I have heard the horror stories about the Model X windshields and $$$$$ but nothing else. Are all the other areas of the Tesla reliable?

Boils down to worries over car company making electric car or tech company making electric car.

Full disclosure, this doesn't really answer your question since it's about a model x instead of a 3, but you might find it enlightening nonetheless.
Jalopnik - This Tesla Model X Has Driven Over 400,000 Miles. Here Are All The Parts That Had To Be Replaced

My understanding with Tesla is: initial quality is a crapshoot, they will probably fix your problems eventually, service time and experience varies wildly depending on service center, and possibly most disputable: once you get everything working they're fine? They offer an extended warranty and I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty. The parts are expensive, but that's probably typical for a car in that price range.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

lmao what the hell is that

There is plenty to rag on tesla about (see above), and musk is 1000% a gigantic rear end in a top hat moron, but holy poo poo that blog post looks like some grade A conspiratorial bullshit. I have no doubts the dude does too many of the wrong drugs and not enough of the right ones, but I seriously hope you aren't "informing" yourself by reading what appears to be some random, anonymously sourced blog. Like, you don't have to dive into crazy land to dig up poo poo to make musk look dumb, he does that on his own. I swear the people that go on and on about how tesla is going to get shut down for fraud any minute now have got the same energy as the people waking up every day expecting to see hillary perp walked for child trafficking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Charles posted:

Oh yeah the Autopilot was kind of homidical. If another car came by it would steer toward it.

Was demolition derby mode toggled on?