Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The Cheshire Cat posted:

They think they can thread the needle.

The thing about the Republican base is at this point a significant portion of it is die hard Trump supporters, because you'd have to be to keep identifying as a Republican. They know that their career is over if they come out against Trump at this point. They think that they can ride it out and in 4 years or so they will claim that they were always against him.

That's a big difference. Republicans backed Bush and 2012 Romney as part of the cause, not as personal loyalty. Both Bush and Romney were willing to accept that and to step aside once their stars faded., so the loyalty to the party would persist. Is Trump going to do that? If he doesn't, how much of the base will say Trump failed the Republicans and how many will say the Republicans failed Trump?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

Yuup.

It doesn't matter if the Repub propaganda targets the poo poo out of AOC. None of them are voting her for anyways.

And over the time period it'll take before AOC becomes eligible to run for president anyways enough Repubs will have died that the Republican party is going to have a heck of a time getting anyone from their party elected anyways.

The thing about the Republican media machine is that when they hammer an issue for years and years they shape the discourse until a lot of their talking points just become something "everyone knows." Even the ones that don't vote Republican. Even/especially the ones that think they're not reached by far-right media.

Whether this will continue to be effective with the shifts of the last few years is another matter, but in the 1990s and 2000s it was a slow but very powerful effect.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Deptfordx posted:

Hillary Clinton is of course the poster child/case zero for this effect.

And it all started because she didn't immediately take her husband's surname and acted like she was his partner rather than his subordinate. Even before the presidential run was on the horizon that whole idea of the power-hungry woman who would do anything to get ahead was seeded. Even generations of people who don't buy into 1980s conservative views of gender relations have grown up interpreting everything she says and does through the lens of what they said.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Guze posted:

No, he can still veto and see if they try and override

Which is fun since it forces Senate Republicans to either openly betray Trump or look incompetent.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

DeeplyConcerned posted:

You don’t announce that you have a new nickname for somebody you just use it. Even Donald J Trump is smart enough to know that.

Is there any reason to believe this isn't the usual case where Pelosi says something off the cuff and people act like she called a press conference about it?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

The house term ends before the presidential term does. The senate views itself as a continuous body though, so you’d actually end up with President Chuck Grassley.

If there is no election, a third of Senators leave office as their terms expire. Most of them are Republicans and the Senate flips.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Disnesquick posted:

And if they refuse, what then?

Well hell then. I'll also declare myself a Senator and cancel their votes.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Terminal autist posted:

I don't know how any informed person could look at what has happened over the last 4 years and conclude that incrementalism is an effective or even desirable strategy. Dont take my word for it look at what happened to Corbyns Labour party or Bernies failed primary runs(Multiple!). Biden is vulnerable to attacks from the left by trump his policies are so loving awful. I don't want to discourage you from trying to help elect another white dementia riddled octogenarian rapist whose policies and governance will be identical to the current white dementia riddled octogenarian rapist. Its gonna be really funny when we have an exact repeat of 2016 and liberal meltdown on trumps reelection might be some of the best content as of yet.

As for my username I could care less if I upset some liberal crying crocodile tears I can assure you I have been severely bullied and ostracized most of my life because of my severe you might even say terminal spectrum behavior, I hope you try to tone police black people or queer folx IRL from saying the bad words.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Roadie posted:

Even then, it's pretty obvious that he cared about getting clothes that actually fit in a way that Trump doesn't, even if that meant making his weight obvious:

Compare to Trump constantly wearing polos so oversized that the sleeve openings go halfway to his waistline in order to cavernously half-hide his gut:

Yeah, even today it's totally doable to look okay as a fat guy if you own that you're fat and choose clothing styles/tailoring that work with it. There are limits, sure, but Trump just has a love for soft 1980s Italian suits that do his body no favors.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Sundae posted:

Once upon a time I’d have argued that Trump is a bottom 10 but otherwise unremarkable bad President. Then came Coronavirus. He’s easily bottom three now. Buchanan and Hoover are also way down there in my view. I’d also accept W Bush too, though we have so many bad presidents in so many uniquely bad ways that it gets hard to pin down an absolute worst.

And to preemptively answer the usual complaints that would whitewash GWB's wars, Trump's active support of the Yemen genocide over the objections of even his own party arguably even edges Bush out even the "dead middle easterners" score.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Judakel posted:

The statement they just released acknowledged that she was running from her record as a prosecutor.

There will absolutely be Trump ads specifically claiming that a vote for Harris is a vote for anarchy and police abolition.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
And if you performed an abortion (or at least caused a woman to miscarry) the punishment was a fine decided on by the parents.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Movie tickets are not even *that* expensive. Its the concessions that are killer, which Im not sure if AMC is changing

Yeah, but there's free popcorn! lung

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

radical meme posted:

Not true. They could fire all of them, just like Reagan did with the air traffic controllers. Then hire replacements and even call in national guard and military to replace them.

To add to what has been said already, the USPS has more employees than the National Guard.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

Harris, the VP nominee, consistently has voted further left of Bernie by the progressives own measurement (progressive punch) at 97% and 100% progressive by Fox News measurement. She almost literally could not be more progressive in the current political arena.

Claims that Biden or the Democrats aren't pushing left enough are absurdist bordering on disinformation.

Every part of this argument happened in 2016. But I think fewer people on the left really care this year, whether because neither are Hillary or because the surrounding situation is so much more dire.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

TVs Ian posted:

I mean, functionally yes because if something gets passed that says, "Stop doing that," it's a lot easier to send somebody around with a key to unlock them all versus having to actually reinstall a removed mailbox.

Practically though... yeah, same thing. Even if there is a law or court decision, I'm sure they'll keep fighting it until election day.

Also serves as a visual reminder to people that the post office is being hosed with, in a way a missing box doesn't.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Angry_Ed posted:

Meg Whitman sucks so bad I confused her for Carly Fiorina.

When I was scanning through the thread at first I somehow crossed it with Mae Whitman and wondered why the hell she was speaking and what terrible things she'd done to get such a reaction.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Crumbskull posted:

Kind of a wild way to write "The lives of Iraqis do not matter to me".

If we're gonna count worst presidency by middle eastern body count, entirely possible at this point that the Yemen genocide Trump has been perpetuating (over protests even from his own party) has killed more people than the Iraq war.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

Same reason Jewish folks aren't allowed to eat pork. Before refrigeration eating pork could kill you with all the parasites it can have if not handled or preserved correctly so how do you scare people off that sort of risky behavior? Say God himself prohibited it. Bing bong.

Another aspect was famine control. In Europe pigs can forage and grow to large population but raising any number in most of the middle east means feeding them crops. In lean years, food inevitably goes to rich people's pigs instead of poor people.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mat Cauthon posted:

Ask Kamala Harris.

If they actually let prisoners who did the volunteer firefighter thing take that training and use it in the civilian world they might actually have enough people to adequately fight the yearly inferno. Instead they bar them after consigning them to potentially lethal slave labor.

:911:

Are they going to do something about it besides taking turns yelling at the guy and trying to dunk on him for cool points?

Let's start by asking what you believe the House has the power to do without the cooperation of the White House or Senate. That will make it a lot easier to evaluate which of them they are likely to do.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Epinephrine posted:

Katrina peaked at Cat 5 before weakening before landfall. But that doesn't really matter in terms of storm surge because storms build up their surge over time.

Yeah, Katrina was down to like Cat 3-4 when it hit the city, but at the time they were expecting the main damage to be due to winds. How devastating the storm surge was caught everyone off guard and it wasn't linearly related to wind speed.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

VH4Ever posted:

People always underrate the flooding. Even outside NOLA which had the much more severe problem of levees straight up collapsing, places like Gulfport and Biloxi, MS had tons of damage from super high storm surge.

It's gotten better since at least. Katrina made a big shift in hurricane coverage. People still speak of hurricanes by wind speed category, but expected storm surge gets a lot more focus in forecasts and news coverage than it used to.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

SubG posted:

The lawyer is making a dumb argument but in 18th Century English "well regulated" meant something more like "properly functioning". The specific sense of "restricted by rules imposed by the government" didn't become common until well after the Constitution was ratified.

And while we're at it "militia" in the sense used by the 2A has nothing to do with the armed gangs that use the term to describe themselves today, nor for that matter the average American gun owner. But that ship has apparently sailed.

Yeah. The simplest way to look at the 2A in context is that the founders really wanted to avoid having a standing army since Britain's was expensive and always looking for trouble. But the redcoats also showed that a standing professional army is way better at fighting than a bunch of conscripts you raise when war comes around. So they wanted to split the difference and have a populace that knows how to shoot and is easier to arrange into a real army with minimal full-time training. Whether or not they were organized ahead of time.

For a straight-forward, non-slavery, non-genocide example, the Whiskey Rebellion was exactly how the 2A was "supposed" to work. But! The militia in the scenario wasn't the rebels who attacked tax inspectors like today's 2A types say. That was an armed mob. The militia was the 13,000 man army Washington was able to raise and arm overnight to put the rebellion down.

We kept up the like for a long while, but we moved back to the professional army track a looong time ago. Even National Guard get their training in the NG, it's not like we count on them all being skilled country marksmen or something.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Ague Proof posted:

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1300877539305336833

That's better than a brick because you can't throw a brick; it's too heavy.

They call it "souping."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV9yvGGNaiQ

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Never mind, I'll remove it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
I wouldn't discount the backlash to Franken being pushed out either. A lot of people, even pretty far left, characterized it as a hit job solely because they liked his politics better than most. That was when I realized it #metoo wasn't gonna be like flipping a switch.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
1000 pages and the Summer thread started almost a month late.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Regardless of its truth, somehow I think "He WANTED to be President!" is on the list of things that people across the political spectrum found damning with Hillary but don't really care about with Biden.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

sexpig by night posted:

even if you want to be tricky why not just say 'you know that's an issue I'm going to have to take on when it comes up, I don't want to commit myself to either until I can hear both sides of such an important issue' or something? Who do they win over by outright going 'no gently caress that', especially when running in the party currently dealing with how lovely the system is?

I mostly agree, but I can easily see a given Democrat waiting for Republicans to do something awful and then say "I didn't want to pack the court knowing what I did at the time, but just look how terribly they forced this issue since then and left us with no choice." If Kelly wants to endorse court packing later it's a pretty sure bet there will be some fresh outrages to cite as a reason why wen it comes to it, but right now the body's barely cold and a nominee isn't even named. As a challenger in a reddish state I don't blame Kelly for thinking it's safer to seem cautiously against court packing than to just say nothing about it.

That isn't to say he isn't genuinely against court packing. I just mean that right now he's got no reason to speak out for it and some reason to dismiss it regardless of his beliefs on the topic.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Pick posted:

I think most of the angst Trump harnessed wouldn't have worked against Biden.

As evidenced in 2020, it's difficult to rile even the right genuinely against Biden. There's little if any anti-Biden merch, unlike Hillary. There are no "vagenda of manocide" signs. There's no Obama-style race-baiting. Biden doesn't come off as an "elite", and in fact carefully cultivated a non-elite, relatable image. He was born in Pennsylvania and wouldn't have neglected it*. He has middle-class white bona fides.

(*He'd have listened to Bill Clinton, who said they were in trouble in working-class white Democratic strongholds.)

Considering his virulent irritation at Obama's "clinging to guns and religion" line, Biden knows not to piss anyone off unnecessarily. There's no Biden that whips out the "deplorables" line they rallied around.

We do know from Biden v. Ryan 2012 that he was good at the "psch, get a load of this guy!" retort. He's not referring people to obscure policy details web domains. He doesn't have any apparent e-mail scandal. He's utterly palatable and hard to produce a strong narrative around.

I knew a fair number of Bernie 2016 people who said Biden would have been an acceptable alternate if it meant no Clinton. I don't think they were being motivated by policy, but they were there. :shrug:

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

mllaneza posted:

The Republicans could have beaten Hillary by running literally anyone with a penis. Actually, they did.

Nah. A Jeb or Walker or Cruz would have just flat out lost. Nevertrumpers were less than a mirage: in fact the fabled Obama-Trump voters were mostly lifelong Republicans that Trump brought home. None of the other candidates had the crazy twisted energy Trump did, and none of them could sell themselves as a political outsider who would probably be saner once actually in office. Trump won the primary because he was the strongest candidate in it, and many of us dismissed that possibility because we thought better of America than that.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

SalTheBard posted:

Is this loving true? That is insane O_O

Not a Trump thing. Health information about powerful heads of state are something governments keep a tight lid on. Same applies to anything the White House physician says in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

nine-gear crow posted:

It's the Access Hollywood tape all over again. They gasped and howled for a week, and then quietly crawled back to Trump's feet. They always go back to Trump.

This isn't entirely untrue, but the constant drip of stuff about Clinton "corruption" helped give them the cover to do that. They need something like that to stick to Biden for it to work nearly as well this time.