Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Sodomy Hussein
Oct 9, 2005

Everything is subject to the needs of intelligence, for geniuses like me. If we actually solve problems, people won't need me and people like me, and this is a travesty without end. You have to squeeze the poor so they know their place, and you fucking commies forget that.

Dash Rendar posted:

Just to be clear, there are three different Universal Soldier timelines:

The Cheap Made-For-TV poo poo Timeline
Universal Soldier -> Universal Soldier II: Brothers in Arms -> Universal Soldier III: Unfinished Business

The Big Budget Box Office Bomb Timeline
Universal Soldier -> Universal Soldier: The Return

The "Wait, Aren't Movie Series Supposed to Get Worse With Sequels and Not Better???!" Timeline
Universal Soldier -> Universal Soldier: Regeneration -> Universal Soldier: Day of Reckoning

It's the third timeline that is good. Regeneration and Day of Reckoning are exceptionally good B-movie schlock. You should watch them if you like action movies.

Regeneration is a straight-up good movie. It's surreal and understated and moves the concept away from its origins as B-movie schlock while still borrowing from that and riffing on it.

Day of Reckoning is almost good and probably the best Scott Adkins movie, which isn't saying terribly much but there you go. Adkins pretty much makes his living by being the only good thing in the movies he's in. Day of Reckoning is a lot of wasted potential (that strobe effect, oh my god). Outside of the fight scene in the sporting goods store there's just not much to it as a movie.

Anyway Dolph Lundgren is the real reason to watch any of these movies, and if he's not in the one you're thinking of watching then skip it. He was pretty much born to play this part in its various incarnations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU