Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Okay, part 2 is up now! It's an emotional roller coaster!

I love how the guy at the campfire totally rumbled you on having died off camera! Busted!

I think you'll be surprised how quickly piloting the ship becomes second nature. It's actually a lot sturdier than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One important technique for maneuvering in space is religious use of match velocity and very short, very small burns. Especially if you're maneuvering in just your suit, the best way to avoid getting flung away from an object is to always be locked on to it, and press to match velocity every second or so to ensure that you compensate for any widening (or shortening) gap between you and the object. Then you can slowly, carefully move to where you want on the object, a few metres at a time.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
One minor UI thing I think would help, I'm not sure if you've realised this, but any red signals on the signalscope are on other planets.

That bug you got with the translator is really strange, I've never seen something like that before.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
I do want to also mention this is the first time I've seen someone actually realise right away that the clock on the other end of White Hole Station implies you arrived slightly before you departed. Good eyes!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Fun episode! I'm glad you picked up the stuff the bug made you miss, it's good info to have.

Tip regarding the scout's pictures: The Scout has a photo mode you can select by pressing left or right on the d-pad. In this mode it will work like a handheld camera, making it a lot easier to grab a picture of a thing you're currently looking at.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 5 is up now! I really like the area that we explore in this episode; I like finding a huge amount of past civilization, it gets me more invested in the story.

That's definitely my favourite part of this game, the fact that you see the same people showing up in logs regularly allows you to build a picture of what those people were like. As you read more of the scrolls and scrawls, you even see some characters develop and change.

In that sense it reminds me greatly of Analogue: A Hate Story, except about a lost society that sounds nice instead of Analogue's depressing dystopian hellworld.

I was very impressed with the jump! I thought the only way over from that platform was via the gravity crystals that were on the wall right next to you :v:

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
In my experience Brittle Hollow starts the loop perfectly positioned such that if you have a read of the stuff you learned in your previous loop at your log, by the time you're done it will be just about to pass behind the sun, giving you exactly enough time to lock on to it before it disappears, in order for the autopilot to fly you straight into the sun.

But don't worry, Slate says the next version of the ship will have a collision avoidance system.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
The first black hole slingshot always feels great, doesn't it?

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
That's a real bummer about the lost footage, but at least you're caught up! When you were in the High Energy Lab the first time, did you look at the mural on the wall?

I think there's a little bit of desync between the commentary track and the gameplay later in the video.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 10 is up now! It's time to see what's so special about this here Sun Station.

The video is private!

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

You know, I didn't like the timer at first, either, but I like the feeling of it here, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because it's part of the story, maybe it's because it's done well, but I don't mind it.

I think what really makes it work is how tightly the spaces are designed around timers. There's a few "major" expeditions you go on during the game (High Energy Lab, Southern Observatory, Sun Station to name a few) and each one takes a lot less time to actually complete than you'd think, and many are set up so you can't actually do them if you don't have the time to complete them (though you managed to break the Sun Station by impaling yourself to show up late). I think there's only really one major exception to this (which I don't think you've visited yet), but the consequence of this is that you almost always choose to dedicate a single loop to a major expedition, making it unlikely that they'll find themselves in the middle of a lore dump they'll find hard to return to when End Times starts playing.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Good video! Shame you didn't get a chance to make much progress, but sometimes that's the way it goes.

Here's what you're missing, per request:

The Sunless City: There's two eye shrines in the game, one for each of the two Nomai Cities. You've only been to the one in the Hanging City on Brittle Hollow. (unless you did this in the lost episodes)
The Interloper: You missed an alternative exit from this room (link to part 9).
Tower of Quantum Knowledge: Everything that falls into the Black Hole comes out at the White Hole. Literally everything. You were so close!

Reveilled fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 8, 2020

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

pedrovay2003 posted:

Part 13 is up now! Get ready for some story advancement, my friends! Also, we apologize for the day-late upload, we were without power in our entire house for over 31 hours.

And yes, that cave was really, really frustrating. I thought for sure that we were done for again, I think we just got insanely lucky at the end there. I definitely think it resembles an "S" shape, but I have no idea how we got to where we did in that moment, I'm still stumped. I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm still stumped.

The way the cave is laid out at that point, the player comes to a two way fork, and path 1 leads to a dead end. The left path comes to another apparent two way fork, but just out of field of view on the right is the correct path, 4. But since the player doesn't see that right away, they try path 2, it's a dead end, try path 3, it's a dead end. So they turn around to backtrack, see path 4, and think "OK, that's the path from the previous fork, I know that's a dead end", then go back further, walk into actual path 1 and hit a dead end.

Then die.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Shame about the lost footage, meeting Solanum is one of the highlights of the game I think! But still a fun watch all the same. Regarding Solanum, you've previously visited her childhood home in the Sunless City and her home as an adult in the Hanging City. It's one of the nicest touches about the game, how you can effectively follow the lives of some of the Nomai from childhood to being adults.

Since you're looking things up, you've technically "learned" all the information you need to complete Dark Bramble, so remember: anglerfish are blind.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

anilEhilated posted:

Regarding anglerfish evasion, that's one of the very few things I really dislike about this game, and it is related to controls (spoilers just to be sure, I'm not sure if you figured the method yet even if you have the hints): it turns out that if you're playing on a keyboard, you cannot regulate thrust speed and it is always set to maximum. There is absolutely no reason for this, it forces you to play a first-person game on a controller and you won't know about it until you're very late in the game. Thankfully there's a mod now that does the evasion for you but that doesn't change the fact it's a mindbogglingly stupid decision.

You don't need to be able to regulate thrust speed in order to get past the anglerfish, though. When you enter a portal in dark bramble, the game sets your speed to a low, but non-zero value. When you enter the red portal, all you need to do is be patient, inertia will carry you straight past the fish. Once you've drifted to the centre of the red area, you can head to the next portal at full speed without alerting the fish

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Qrr posted:

Oh, cool, it still tells you what killed the Nomai even if you don't find out by going to the Interloper. They're not so generous with Solanum - if you don't solve the quantum moon, I don't think she shows up at the end.

I think the explanation is there because in the LP they jumped into the centre of the interloper; before they died they got a log update I think. If you don't enter the interloper, the entry instead reads something like "The disappearance of the Nomai remained a mystery".

I really enjoyed the LP, thank you for sharing it with us! :)

Regarding the number of Nomai, consider all the nomai skeletons you find throughout the game, particularly in the two cities. I think you actually find writings from about 40-50 Nomai across the whole game, and there's plenty in the cities who appear to have simply died in their beds or at their tables when the interloper's core ruptured, and presumably not all of them were people whom we found writings for.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

HerStuddMuffin posted:

The diagram of probe searches at the end that I couldn’t make sense of mentions more than a hundred thousand searches. Our intrepid adventurers didn’t lose quite that many lives. How did the other loops happen?

They did lose that many lives, technically. When the sun goes supernova, it activates the ash twin project. The cannon fires 22 minutes in the past, and then reports back to the project at the end of the cycle. The eye isn't found, so the cycle repeats. That happens to the hearthians nine million times until finally on the loop immediately before the game starts, the probe finds the eye. It transmits that back to the project, and on the next loop, the project tries to turn on the statues to alert the nearby nomai. Then they will know not to activate the sun station, as the coordinates are now available. This happens just as you pass the statue. But unknown to you, the previous nine million times the sun went supernova, you just reset without realising it, the same as everyone else in the game except gabbro experiences things.

quote:

Since the project was abandoned hundreds of thousands of years before the events of the game and the probe was supposed to be manned, who is sending back the probe results?

Does this have anything to do with the third active mask? We know our protagonist and hammock meditator are aware of the loop, but who is time traveler number 3?

The probe cannon appears to be automated. The tracking module is linked to the project, and stores its data there, it is the third mask. When it gets the signal from the project at the start of the loop, it fires without manual intervention.

quote:

With time rolling backwards to the same initial conditions every time, how did the probe not sample the same small chunk of space a hundred thousand times? Who pointed it at something else every time?

The coordinates for each loop are selected at random. You might wonder if the random result should be the same every time, but this does not appear to be the case. Quantum stuff maybe.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Qrr posted:

It makes perfect sense that the loops start at the campfire, and not at the mask. You have to reach the mask to pair, but after that you're part of the overall loop they have set up, and the loop definitely begins when you wake up because the probe fires at that time.

The logic of the first loop breaks down if you think about it too much, the sun explodes 22 minutes after you reach the statue for the first time, but the probe cannon fires when you wake up, and it shouldn't be possible for both things to be true. You can spend as long as you like in the village, but the sun can't explode until you are paired with the statue.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Hirayuki posted:

Thanks for this suggestion, and wow.

Here's a link to the current shipless WR if anyone wants to see it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp6rUF31Y30

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Qrr posted:

That's really awesome, I hadn't thought about it but if the probe launcher obeys conservation of momentum and the recall doesn't then of course that's a way to gain speed without using fuel.

I'm kind of curious why they pause run time while resting at campfires - is it because that part of the game is dependent on cpu speed or something? It seems like it really incentivizes resting until you have the perfect planetary alignment.

I believe that’s exactly why, while you’re sleeping the game runs the solar system simulation as fast as your cpu can handle, and the last time spent resting is to get a better alignment on Dark Bramble.