Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Nothing says quality like a black eye and a moustache.
Fun Shoe

Holy poo poo, we're back!

Amy and Peter (who is I!) are trying to get back into LPing, and what better time than when the entire world is closed? This time, we're tackling Outer Wilds, by Mobius Games. The story revolves around an alien community wanting nothing more than to explore the stars, trying to figure out everything it can about an ancient race of space travelers that came before. And then the sun explodes!

Neither one of us knew much about this game going in (except for the main mechanic) other than the fact that it's critically acclaimed, and we're excited to discover everything the in-game world has to offer, so please, no story spoilers. Anything else is fair game! We're recording a few episodes in advance, so if we don't respond to any comments right away, we promise that we're not ignoring you. I hope you all enjoy yet another journey with us!

Part 1: This is what you're here for, right?
Part 2: Tornadoes, Peter!
Part 3: ...Huh.
Part 4: Aw, the cockpit's damaged!
Part 5: I'm angry!
Part 6: Genuinely Amazed
Part 7: What are those guys doing in space?!
Part 8: Find me a moon, please
Part 9: Super good enough
Part 10: You're, like, an astrophysicist
Part 11: Meditate it out
Part 12: I'm stumped (LOL JK)
Part 13: I see somebody! Ha HA haha!
Part 14: Identify yourself!
Part 15: We are dead
Part 16 (Finale!): Two-Brain-Cells Pete
Bonus Episode: All right, let's blow up the universe.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Aug 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

Hooray! I've been waiting for this. :dance: Can you fix the thread title?

Oh my God, if I had a nickel for every time I do that when I'm talking about this game...

Mods? Can you please change the title of the thread from "Outer Worlds" to "Outer Wilds?" Thanks in advance.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 15, 2020

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

There's a really good April Fools' prank here.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

Great to see you back guys! Loved your Witnessing and your Skatethreeing. That was 5 years ago. Wow.

Aw, we appreciate the kind words. :) Those were two of our favorites, too.

Jen X posted:

This game is astounding and everyone watching the LP should buy it, complete it, and return to said LP.

This is what I've heard from a bunch of people, so I'm really excited to see if it lives up to the hype.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Okay, part 2 is up now! It's an emotional roller coaster!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

idhrendur posted:

There's so little to say that doesn't risk being a spoiler.

I had forgotten how hard it was to get used to the flying controls. It's interesting seeing that again. Also, I was much further in the game before I learned there was an autopilot.

The autopilot is the only reason I can get anywhere once I'm in the air, so I'm glad I noticed it early on. Holy crap, you have my respect for making it far into the game without using it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Boksi posted:

I'd like to note that the expansion of the universe is a real thing that is happening in real life, and it doesn't work like you're conceiving of it. The universe doesn't really have a center, but it is getting bigger all the time. Rather than actually moving away from each other, though, it's more like there's just always more and more space between things, so everything everywhere is getting farther away from each other. Read the Wikipedia article on it if you dare.

Yeah... My misinterpretation doesn't surprise me. I appreciate the explanation, though, that makes a lot of sense.

Carbon dioxide posted:

All of the characters we've seen appear to be named after geology terms.

Oh, really? I wouldn't have noticed that, thanks for pointing it out! I'm learning all kinds of stuff today.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jul 18, 2020

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Oh, the blue/red thing for distance is really helpful, thanks. I had worked out the arrows, but the colors were still a mystery to me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, that happens in an upcoming episode. It was surprising, it hadn't happened up to that point.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 3 is up now! Space is weird, guys.

anilEhilated posted:

If you're bothered by the loading and generally bad performance, try turning down the shadows in graphics. Apparently it's one part of the game that's really badly optimized and quite the resource hog.

Oh, this is good to know, thank you. The stuttering is a bit annoying, but it runs better on the SSD. I'll try turning the shadows down to optimize it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, we're getting better about how we're using the signalscope. I don't think I put together that red = different planet, though, so that's good to know!

And yeah, the translator thing was super weird. I looked it up and could find anything about it, so I guess we just have to hope that it doesn't happen again. In space, no one can hear you glitch.

double nine posted:

Also you only read 1 of the 4 messages in the alien ship thingie.

We realized this as we were editing the video. I don't think I even noticed at the time that the one that I scanned had changed colors.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 4 is up now! This is the episode that teaches me how hard it would be to be Spider-Man in real life.

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, some of those theories you're spinning there are downright magical. :allears: Be careful what you wish for.

Well, drat. :classiclol:

Reveilled posted:

I do want to also mention this is the first time I've seen someone actually realise right away that the clock on the other end of White Hole Station implies you arrived slightly before you departed. Good eyes!

Yeah, that was a really subtle nod to what's going on behind the scenes (right now, anyway). I'm excited to see how far the concept goes.

idhrendur posted:

I had never explored inside the geyser. Clever. Also good work figuring out the warping and noting the times.

Even with the warping, Brittle Hollow freaks me out. But that's partly because of how I did some things there. More when you've found better solutions than I ever did.

Brittle Hollow has been quite the adventure so far. It definitely makes me feel like I'm the biggest threat to myself sometimes.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jul 22, 2020

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

Fun episode! I'm glad you picked up the stuff the bug made you miss, it's good info to have.

Tip regarding the scout's pictures: The Scout has a photo mode you can select by pressing left or right on the d-pad. In this mode it will work like a handheld camera, making it a lot easier to grab a picture of a thing you're currently looking at.

We definitely end up utilizing the handheld camera mode when we're plagued by GHOST MATTER. I didn't think to try it on the stuff that moves around, though, I guess I just got it into my head that the camera had to remain with the object. That's a good tip!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 5 is up now! I really like the area that we explore in this episode; I like finding a huge amount of past civilization, it gets me more invested in the story.

Fedule posted:

So... what do you think happened to your ship?

I just watched the video again, and I'm still trying to figure that out. I thought at first that a meteor had hit it and just kind of flung it into space, but it also looks like it landed on another planet (unless that's just where it was headed).

Zandar posted:

On a related note, it seemed like you were having some trouble fixing the gravity crystals with the scout camera. As far as I could tell you were only rotating the camera up and down once the scout was in place - were you aware you can rotate it left and right (which translate to anticlockwise and clockwise from the scout's point of view) as well?

Oh, no, I don't think I realized that!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I was very impressed with the jump! I thought the only way over from that platform was via the gravity crystals that were on the wall right next to you :v:

Oh my God, what. :aaaaa:

Boksi posted:

Another tip: You can turn the ship around to look at things while it's on autopilot and it won't mess up, it'll just fire whatever directional thrusters it needs to at the moment.

Okay, this is good to know. I was terrified to touch anything with autopilot going.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
No problem! I'll theorize here, since we're recording about three episodes at a time, and I'd probably be a bit behind if I waited to talk about it in an episode.

Personally, my mindset is currently that we're descendants of (or somehow otherwise related to) the Nomai, although I can't say how important that is overall. I also think that the Nomai were aware of the sun getting to the point that it was going to take out the galaxy, and they were looking into incorporating the warp technology that they were developing into traveling back in time to prevent disaster; they more than likely got this idea from their observation of unintentionally going back in time a hundred thousandth of a second when they were first getting the warping up and running. I think that we're caught in a timeloop that was possibly created intentionally by the Nomai for the express purpose of giving someone the chance to save life as we know it. That being said, where are the Nomai now? What happened to them? Did they get taken out by the sun but for some reason weren't rewound? Did they leave the galaxy entirely to avoid their own extinction?

I'm not sure what to make of the mysterious signal that brought the Nomai to the galaxy, either, I haven't come up with any theories there yet. That's the thing that's intriguing me the most (and I expect that's also going to be the crux of the story).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

FlamingLiberal posted:

Was able to get this for $6 with coupon during the EGS Summer Sale and I’m enjoying it

Holy crap, that's beyond worth it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 6 is up now! We try to tie up some loose ends, and I demonstrate an amazing feat of physical prowess!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Aw yiss slingshots. Finally delivering on the promise of Super Mario Galaxy. Don't get me wrong I loved that game but lord if I wasn't a little disappointed to find out that doing sick orbit jumps wasn't really on the priority list for them. Anyway, it's surprisingly how easily this comes once you discard your fear of death and just start jetting.

Oh, yeah, Super Mario Galaxy is a really good comparison.

HookedOnChthonics posted:

This is basically Mac from It's Always Sunny doing a let's play, it's amazing. :allears: I would love to see y'all tackle Return of the Obra Dinn after this!

So one interesting thing you haven't touched on is that the concept of universal expansion and therefore a point-source big bang origin being worked out from the observation that distant galaxies are redshifting (IE the light waves we see from them are longer, and therefore redder, than they 'should be' b/c the source is moving away from us) is real science:

The picture in the Hearth observatory is a direct reference to the Hubble Deep Field—an image created by having the Hubble telescope focus on a patch of sky, of about 1 square inch apparent size from Earth, that is totally dark to terrestrial telescopes, and take in light for a month.

In that single tiny dark patch of sky there are over 3,000 galaxies, among the most distant ever observed. Because they're so distant, and the light from them has such a long distance to travel to Earth, we're effectively seeing "back in time"—it's light that was emitted far, far closer to the birth of the universe than we are now.

Also I notice that our Hearth friends are all named after minerals, and build things from wood, while the ancient aliens are all named after plants, and build things from stone. :hmmyes:

Holy crap, this is so much more than I expected to learn from this game and thread.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 7 is up now, and I need to change my space pants!

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Man, I do not understand how you're so willing to die to oxygen loss. Anytime my O2 dropped below 30-40% I'd start hearing the Sonic underwater music in my head and feel the need to dash back to the ship. :sweatdrop:

I think it just seems so futile to me at that point that I'd rather start over and have more time. Our character seems okay enough with being caught in a time loop that I think he might feel the same way.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

cant cook creole bream posted:

If the gravity is zero, you don't even need to land. Just keep it floating still somewhere.

I've thought about doing that, but it terrifies me. I keep thinking that something is going to slightly bump the ship, and I'll lose it. I keep forgetting that I'll get it back after 22 minutes.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 8 is up now! I love how this game does things, and that's not sarcasm.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

OOrochi posted:

Oh man, the feeling I was getting while y'all messed with the Quantum Moon Locator is why I ended up loving this game. It's just so good at giving you that sense of discovery.

It was honestly my favorite part of the game so far. The quantum stuff is so excellent.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 9: Part 9 is up now! Unfortunately, we lost a group of recordings to a failed hard drive, so we didn't go into a lot of this stuff blind. But we did discover things that we hadn't noticed the first time!

Hirayuki posted:

I really like the way you two play because it jibes with what I'd do. Not a lot of shouting at you through the screen--just a nice vicarious playthrough. :3: I can't wait to see what else you discover!

We really appreciate the kind words. :-D Yeah, we try not to be super over-the-top, or anything, we want the experience to be as authentic as possible.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

That's a real bummer about the lost footage, but at least you're caught up! When you were in the High Energy Lab the first time, did you look at the mural on the wall?

I think there's a little bit of desync between the commentary track and the gameplay later in the video.

Ugh, I swear, this playthrough is cursed. We'll look at the video, I hope it's not too bad.

You know what? I think we may have missed the mural. We were so panicked by the sand (we just *barely* made it, I can't even tell you) that I think we were just trying to interact with what we could see.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 10 is up now! It's time to see what's so special about this here Sun Station.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

The video is private!

It's fixed now. I don't know what happened, I made sure I changed it to public, and the button even changed to "Publish."

This whole playthrough is cursed, I swear.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Okan170 posted:

I'm glad I can experience the game vicariously through these! Can't enjoy the supernova timer, but watching others play is much more fun.

You know, I didn't like the timer at first, either, but I like the feeling of it here, for whatever reason. Maybe it's because it's part of the story, maybe it's because it's done well, but I don't mind it.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 11 is up now! Our cats are little bastards sometimes, but the edit that we had to make doesn't look bad.

Also, I really want to land on the Sun Station manually now, the more I fantasize about it.

idhrendur posted:

Very impressive platforming through the cacti. You figured out the intended solution, but as you saw you can sometimes bypass those and do things another way.

And your reactions to the purpose of the sun station matched mine. I think I figured out the plan before getting there, but was horrified that they planned to blow up the sun.

Thank you! I was pretty proud of myself, but yes, I'm really glad that there are multiple ways of getting things done.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 12 is up now! And may I just say FINALLY WITH THAT PLACE. Also, thanks to everyone offering help in the comments. We've taken a lot of advice to heart, even if it only happens in a later episode.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not easy to find, especially since that moon has an irregular rotation

Yeah, I was really happy that we spotted that, because it would have been super easy to have missed.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 13 is up now! Get ready for some story advancement, my friends! Also, we apologize for the day-late upload, we were without power in our entire house for over 31 hours.

And yes, that cave was really, really frustrating. I thought for sure that we were done for again, I think we just got insanely lucky at the end there. I definitely think it resembles an "S" shape, but I have no idea how we got to where we did in that moment, I'm still stumped. I'm not complaining, mind you, but I'm still stumped.

pedrovay2003 fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 13, 2020

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 14 is up now! I'm still a bit angry about this one, because OBS decided to just not work the first time we recorded, and it didn't tell me at all, so we had to redo everything for this video. I think it turned out fine, but I love getting initial reactions, so missing out on that is kind of a bummer.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Burzmali posted:

It's the part of the game where twitch gaming is most rewarded over careful play. Too bad they didn't come up with a way for you to use the probe to distract the anglerfish, that would have made it more puzzle oriented and fit in better with the rest of the game, in my opinion at least.

Oh, using the probe as a distraction would have been great, I hadn't even thought of that (I know you can't, but it's still a great idea).

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 15 is up now! The sun is a tricky bastard.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

Helith posted:

I've just found this Let's Play and have watched the first few episodes and want to say 'good job'! I'm really enjoying it so far and loving both of you slowly come to realisations and work out what's going on. The wonder and joy in your voices as a piece falls into place is amazing.
Also that was a sick jump in Brittle Hollow to get to the observatory, I was never brave enough to attempt that!

Aw, I really appreciate the kind words. :-D Yeah, this game constantly surprised us with what it revealed, they did a fantastic job of letting the player learn on their own. It's a great feeling.

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

Have you thought about streaming on Twitch while filming the LP? That way if you lose the footage you will still have the VOD. I know some YouTubers do that.

I'll have to look into that, thanks for the tip. I don't have much streaming experience at all, but if it can save a recording, then it may be worth doing.

Burzmali posted:

In general, Outer Wilds is relatively bug and glitch free at this point. Aside from the reading issue, which could have been hardware related or the game being overly picky about positioning from some translations, everything you've run across has been "working as intended". You commented of the mechanic you need to use to find your next destination near where you need to apply it, but you passed it off as weird behavior on the game's behalf.

Yeah, it's been hard for me to determine what's supposed to happen and what isn't. That thing with the sun really threw me, since it seemed like if I was just a pixel too far away, the entire thing would just disappear; I was trying to outrun the explosion (which I know you can do), and I'm still not sure if being so far out that I couldn't even see the sun at the time of the explosion would have registered, or if I needed to actually see the explosion happen. It really looked like something had broken to me.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

legioN7 posted:

There is an Easter Egg involving the Ash Twin Project that grants access to a unique conversation you can't get otherwise, and you are very unlikely to encounter it.
I can give a hint as to how to do it, but not what happens, if you want.

Aw, dang, I think it's too late for us. :-\

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yeah, we were definitely throwing around the idea of an extras video, just to do some of the alternate stuff. There's a surprising amount of optional content.

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe
Part 16 is up now, marking the end of our Outer Wilds journey. Amy and I still want to do a bonus video with some of the extra endings, but as for the main story, this is it.

This was one of the coolest games that we've played in a while, and I hope you guys enjoyed the playthrough (I get the feeling that we were making a couple of you shout at your screens at us). We're happy to be doing this again, and we hope that we can keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pedrovay2003
Mar 17, 2013

Fun Shoe

legioN7 posted:

So, to answer what you did in the eye;

You set off a Big Bang, created a new universe as yours was dying.

Yeah, that's the conclusion that we ended up coming to, also. That was such a good ending.