Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

I scrape data from courts and generally know a buttload about finding court information. It varies hilariously wildly county to county in the USA in a way that's super frustrating. There's no national requirement that court proceedings be put online and different states have VERY different regulations about it.

Start by googling "[county] [state] court records" if that fails google "[county] [state] clerk of courts" or just PM me the info (name, location, date, crime) and Ill find it. Browse your local clerk of court websites for things that look like record search tools. Its not uncommon that the way you have to get records is by physically going to the court house or by purchasing records via the mail.

EDIT: They're usually at the county level but they don't have to be.

This is correct on all accounts. If it's a Federal criminal charge it'll be on pacer.gov but if it's a state/county charge then it's anyone's guess as to if you'll be able to get info online as only ~70% of the ~3300 counties are available online in some capacity. Sometimes it's only civil available online which is annoying.

As someone who USES scraped (and direct-sourced) court data on a daily basis, I'm super curious about how this actually is done. I would imagine that in some states it's pretty easy like TX for example where most counties seem to use the same web/database provider and I would assume there's an API or other similar function to easily pull in records but it must be maddening in other places where each county is different or in places like OH where there's 30 city/municipal level courts in every county and every one of them is different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'm an investigator so I use lots of the big name databases for public records.