Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Kattar vs Barbosa would also have been a really fun fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
Kattar's striking is so nice to watch

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

I got it 29-28 Kattar

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

lol, I forgot about Zabit and his inability to fight for five rounds.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

lol, I forgot about Zabit and his inability to fight for five rounds.

So...that's not totally a solved mystery, that fight was originally supposed to be like in Boston or NYC or something, and got called off because Zabit got a bad staph infection, when it got rescheduled for Russia, supposedly Zabit's corner insisted it had to be a 3-round fight because he was still recovering from the staph and couldn't have a full camp, but they really wanted to headline him in Russia so UFC went for it. With proper preparation, he might be fine in a 5 rounder, I'm looking forward to finding out.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Except for all his other fights where he has 2 rounds of gas.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Except for all his other fights where he has 2 rounds of gas.

In his other UFC fights he:

Submitted a guy late in the second
Submitted a guy very late in the third
Won all 3 rounds and finished the fight mutually swinging haymakers.
Submitted a guy late in the second
Won the first two rounds and lost the third

That's it, that's the whole list, so when you say "all his other fights" it's safe to assume you're only talking about the Stephens fight. It has been over a year and I don't remember exactly how that one looked, I'm gonna go rewatch that third round right now.

Zabit finishes the second round on top trying to drop elbows, Stephens pushes Zabit away after the round is over and Zabit pushes him back. Zabit doesn't look totally fresh, but also does not appear exhausted. In the corner Zabit appears a bit upset at the exchange and his corner is asking him to calm down, he remains standing rather than sitting down.

Third round starts, Zabit is bouncing around and throwing spinning poo poo, Stephens quickly walks him down towards the fence, Zabit starts circling one way and manages to fake him out with a quick maneuver in the opposite direction just as Stephens throws a spinning backfist that misses, this gets Zabit back to the center of the octagon.

Second minute:
Not much activity from either fighter for the first half minute or so, Zabit throwing a couple body kicks, a couple in-and-out straight lefts but is mostly backing up, still appears bouncy. Towards the end of the minute Stephens successfully backs him up to the fence again.

Third minute:
Zabit attempts another circling fake-out maneuver but Stephens doesn't fall for it, he then dips in for a low single leg, as Stephens begins to sprawl Zabit comes back up and shoves Stephens away, but still gets caught with a left hook. Towards the end of the minute Zabit shows a little more aggression with some frontkicks to the body and a couple spinning backfists, alternating between going backwards and forwards, still using a very movement-heavy strategy, though Stephens seems to be having a slightly easier time walking him down.

Fourth minute: Zabit dips down for a much more committed low single leg and tries to hang on, Stephens very quickly pushes down on the head and pulls his leg out, Stephens throws a strong right hook aimed at where Zabit's head would have been if he had gotten up too fast, but Zabit spots it and ducks his head under it, managing to get up without taking damage. 1:45 remaining, Zabit looks at the clock. For the rest of the minute Zabit is still backing away with in-and-out striking, but does not get backed up against the fence, Stephens appears to have slowed down the aggression of his forward push. 1:10 Remaining Zabit throws a lead left elbow that hits Stephen's shoulder due to good head movement, Stephens responds with a very audible left hook to the body that lands clean. A couple seconds later, Stephens steps in with a strong straight right and catches Zabit cleanly, snapping his head back.

Final minute: After a few seconds of mutual fakes, Stephens opens with a light jab that partially lands followed by a right hook that Zabit ducks under, Stephens shoves him away, Zabit uses the created distance to step in with a semi-flying knee that appears to land cleanly. Zabit is not backing up anymore, most of his movement is lateral and he seems much more willing to stand and trade with Stephens. 42 Seconds remaining, Zabit looks at the clock, throws a low leg kick followed by a spinning back kick to the body. Zabit lands a couple light left hooks to Stephens chin, tries to follow it up with a straight right but Stephens' straight right gets to the target first. 22 seconds remaining, both fighters are standing in front of each other trowing hooks with both hands. 13 seconds remaining, Zabit looks at the clock again, points his finger up to the sky and throws a right hook followed by a left, neither land cleanly and he dips in for a single leg that Stephens catches with an underhook but it is not enough to prevent the takedown from being completed, from being on his butt Stephens manages to push Zabit's head down and get away while landing a hammerfist to the side of Zabit's head and another perhaps to the back of his head due to motion. Both fighters are on their feet and Zabit throws a jumping spinning high kick and lands on his back, the horn sounds and the fight is over.

In conclusion, unless your argument is literally "You can tell he only has 2 rounds of cardio by how he finishes his opponents in the second round", I don't know what the gently caress you're talking about, so I'd love to hear you elaborate.

Edit: Just realized this is the GDT and not the monthly, feel free (and in fact, encouraged) to quote this post in the monthly thread and respond there, as I feel like others in that thread might remember more details furthering either one of our points, and also someone might enjoy reading my amateur 1-round writeup.

Brut fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jul 16, 2020

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I'm not reading all of that. Especially when he's looked like poo poo in the 3rd in all four fights that went the distance. Sorry that you think letting Kyle Bochniak rough him up is impressive.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Zabit would lose to Yair, Kattar, Stephens, Michelle Waterson or even Bruce Leeroy if they weren't forced to pretend that three round fights are a real sport with meaning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Street Horrrsing
Mar 24, 2010

Godwalker of The Grateful Prisoner

Whoops wrong card