Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

EclecticTastes posted:

Wait wait wait wait wait. We have a limitless supply of cheap conscripts? Why didn't anyone tell me that?! That solves our problems completely! All we need to do is get a shipyard or spaceport close enough to an enemy homeworld, then we just rapidly pull in conscripts to a ship in that port, offload them into the pool, and hire even more. Once we have enough, we can just crush the enemy in a land battle with sheer numbers. Literally, we won't even need a dropship, just coat the planet entirely with bodies!

Never has there been a more appropriate avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

This is one way to find scum...
Notably when you scrap ships their crews go back into the pool, you don't lose them. It's also modified by your racial training modifier and the actual training bonus of the crew.

So for example if your ship has 100 crew and is trained twice as well as your racial baseline due to having been under a captain and you scrap it, you will receive 200 crew trained to your racial standards back into your ranks.
If the pinch is that hard you could consider cheesing the system by making a giant ship, or rather a station, as crew-inefficient as possible and assign the highest Crew Training Bonus commander possible to it and then scrap it after a few years. Probably not worth the TNEs though.

Edit: What you do lose is the 'Training Bonus' of the crew, which if turned on is an enormous pain in the rear end. Crew Grade is what I was referring to above. Training Bonus applies to ships directly and scrapping them would remove that.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Conscript crewed military ships aren't useless, it's just that crew grade affects a lot of die rolls in combat. You can always build more ships to compensate for their individual shittyness. It's only where you're trying to use fleets with smaller numbers of better (more expensive) ships that you really want high grade crew and 100% ship training to maximize their effectiveness.

If you want to play some kind of WH40k Imperial Guard fleet and throw vast numbers of cheap ships at the enemy you certainly can, so long as you are willing to deal with the large losses and player micro.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

I have found a major issue that is causing our crew problems.

Every single one of our commercial ships has failed to have the Conscript box checked. This means our bulk freighters, fuel stations and every other vessel in our fleet that are never intended to see combat are using our trained military crewmen. This is a huge problem and one we need to solve as quickly as possible. Especially egregious is the Dracon class luxury spaceliner Titan which as can be seen below is taking up a whopping 2,200 of our crewmen as seen here:

We should scrap the Titan immediately to replenish our crews. It will take several months but will be well worth it. I am unsure if there's a way to replace existing ships crews once the ship is lost but I suspect not. The damage is already done but care should be taken in the future not to man commercial vessels with combat ready crewmen. It will take several months to scrap the titan, but once complete it should provide enough able battle-ready crew to service many of new potential warships.

As it is we literally have naval gunnery officers and ships engineers serving fancy meals to the rich on a space cruise ship.

Edit: Wrong picture; I was messing with the conscript checkbox on the Titan to see if checking it would immediately send the crewmen back to the pool. It did not. Scrapping, however, did.

Lando131 fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Sep 12, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

That's incredible lol

Flamester
Dec 30, 2012
We can't afford to lose the Staryacht sponsorship.

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

Also fun to notice is that it's build cost is around that of an Avalanche.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Is there any advantage to having trained military crew on the commercial ships? Do they function much more effectively?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Crew grade does:
- Improve/penalize beam hit chance
- Improve/penalize missile reload time
- Improve/penalize maintenance failure rate
- Improve/penalize jump shock time

Of these, only jump shock is applicable to a commercial ship.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
Trained military personnel on civilian ships? Okay, new idea. Let's make peace with our enemies, then design the most luxurious passenger ship imaginable, enough that their leadership decides to buy tickets. As soon as they're onboard, the staff reveals that they're actually highly-trained soldiers, and then we've got the heads of every species' government at our mercy! All we need to do is convince them to stop trying to murder us on sight, fully overcome the language barrier, and develop leisure activities that will appeal to each of their cultures without offending the others. Simple, really.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

EclecticTastes posted:

Trained military personnel on civilian ships? Okay, new idea. Let's make peace with our enemies, then design the most luxurious passenger ship imaginable, enough that their leadership decides to buy tickets. As soon as they're onboard, the staff reveals that they're actually highly-trained soldiers, and then we've got the heads of every species' government at our mercy! All we need to do is convince them to stop trying to murder us on sight, fully overcome the language barrier, and develop leisure activities that will appeal to each of their cultures without offending the others. Simple, really.

Oddly enough it turns out shuffleboard is a universal pastime.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Oh god I'm so bad for forgetting to turn on conscript crews. I will absolutely scrap that spaceliner.

We definitely want well trained crews on our military ships, we are nowhere near having a large fleet where we can afford slow reactions and losses.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Kinda weird that the only crewing options for commercial vessels are trained military crew or convicts.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

If you want you can pretend the big "C" stamped on their crew file stands for "civilian" and not "conscript" or "convict"

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 12, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Crew grade also isn't that important for lots of military ships. Fewer maintenance failures is always nice, but box launchers don't care about reload time and a missile fleet is going to want to synchronize fire, so only the worst trained crew is limiting. It matters mostly for jump point assaults and beam ships.

Task force training (reducing delay from order to action) is more important, but you have to train that from 0% per ship anyway (or refit into it like we're doing).

You can also run an empire without having state-owned freighters, you can pay civilians to ship stuff from place to place.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 12, 2020

Innocent_Bystander
May 17, 2012

Wait, missile production is my responsibility?

Oh.
You still need a few state freighters for mineral shipping, or was that changed in C#?

Lando131
Jul 27, 2006

You do but every the player personally builds is 'state owned'. Clicking the conscript button doesn't make the ship civilian owned, it makes it so it has a crew that isn't combat ready but pulls from an infinite pool. Combat ready crews come from a limited pool based on the racial training level, which is something the player can change at will, and how many Military Academies you have built.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Where can you see the crew pool, out of curiosity? I know where I can see my Jr Officer pool but not the generic crewmen.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Those are the same thing? Race Information / British flag -> Academies tab -> Crewmen and Junior Officers

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Foxfire_ posted:

Those are the same thing? Race Information / British flag -> Academies tab -> Crewmen and Junior Officers

Oh, I'm an idiot.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Crazycryodude posted:

If you want you can pretend the big "C" stamped on their crew file stands for "civilian" and not "conscript" or "convict"

Conscripted by capitalistic dogs obviously.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Crazycryodude posted:

No, it is definitely funnier to think of the crew as being conscripted convicts. Running even a wet water ship is a highly technical task. So technical that historically it was worth starting wars to kidnap sailors from other countries to make them crew your ships. Space ships are even more complicated. The thought that you can take random people and have them perform, for example, EVA maintenance on a space ship is so ludicrous it’s funny.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Strictly the least qualified and lowest paid people. Even the maintenance robots get paid more because they have a better union.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Conscription is a thing now in the Union of Terra. The mass militarization combined with a well earned siege mentality is going to be a fun narrative to work into the updates.

Also this raid sure is hard to plan and also have any kind of a plausible hope for escape.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Pirate Radar posted:

Strictly the least qualified and lowest paid people. Even the maintenance robots get paid more because they have a better union.

:mcnally: :neckbeard:

Virtual Russian posted:

Conscription is a thing now in the Union of Terra. The mass militarization combined with a well earned siege mentality is going to be a fun narrative to work into the updates.

Also this raid sure is hard to plan and also have any kind of a plausible hope for escape.

Don’t do it if you don’t want to. Or send expendable ships.

A suicide raid is pretty much what the Inspector Gadgets were designed for.

OTOH our new BBs should be able to successfully run away.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 15, 2020

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

- A Big Pig gases up and goes through Accatran to hold a few hundred million km off the Voss jump point (70 days)
- A Bomb Truck and Gadget bus from Earth to rendezvous once it's close to position (+20 days, +7bkm. Remaining: 40 deployment days, 4.6bkm range)
- (Optional) Battlecruisers and more corvettes deploy to sit on our side of the jump point.
- The intruder group gas up at the Big Pig, jump, and burn towards the inner planets (To Voss III: +13 days, +4.8bkm. Remaining: 27 deployment days, 6.9bkm range)
- Shoot&scan, head back to Accatran (+13 days, +4.8bkm. Remaining: 14 deployment days, 2.1bkm range)
- Jump back, gas up again, either return directly to Earth (+20 days, -6 days on deployment) or stop off briefly at Makhlo's Folly

No tankers ever go into Voss, flight in enemy space is at 4220km/s with 2560 ton ships.

Can also route that group through Calliban with a preplaced Big Pig on the line between Caliban's Tarantis and Voss jump points. That will make the Gadget go over deployment by a month though.

A Wyern can also make the Accatran route, but it's only 2700km/s so can't run away as well.

e: tag a Kobold along too, it'll have to break before getting all the way to Voss III, but it has a longer fire control range.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Sep 15, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

War Plan Foxfire it is.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Question. If we're going to have ships on hand at our side of the warp point to be ready to defend in case our raiders are chased, and defending means we'll get a few "turns" worth of shots at the enemy without them being able to respond, might it be worth bringing those obsolete but well-crewed ships to add defensive weight? Since they'd have the advantage of being defending a warp point.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Raid went that bad, huh?

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Telsa Cola posted:

Raid went that bad, huh?

Crusader Kings 3 came out recently, the assassin of free time.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Raid went that bad, huh?

Shoeless posted:

Crusader Kings 3 came out recently, the assassin of free time.

As mentioned before I had to move across the country for work due to losing my job. Just settling into the new job, my stuff is on its way, I likely won't get the next update out for a couple weeks. My stuff isn't due to arrive until nearly two weeks from now. This has been my first day off without much to do, hence logging in. Not my computer though, so no work on the update yet. Fear not, the LP is not dead, just dormant while I get my life back in order.

What did we do before we all had internet access 24/7? I'm dying. Living very spartan right now.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Virtual Russian posted:

As mentioned before I had to move across the country for work due to losing my job. Just settling into the new job, my stuff is on its way, I likely won't get the next update out for a couple weeks. My stuff isn't due to arrive until nearly two weeks from now. This has been my first day off without much to do, hence logging in. Not my computer though, so no work on the update yet. Fear not, the LP is not dead, just dormant while I get my life back in order.

What did we do before we all had internet access 24/7? I'm dying. Living very spartan right now.

That's rough. Hang in there. We'll still be here when you're ready.

I vaguely remember hauling pounds and pounds of books with me on vacation before the internet. Now I take a laptop, a tablet, and a phone virtually everywhere.

Edit: Remember to register to vote in your new residence!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Glad the LP isn't dead and good luck with the new job!

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
1.12 version is out now!

whoops forgot the link:

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=11944.0

Neophyte fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Oct 11, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

I should have my computer back by next weekend.

1.12 is NOT save-game compatible. However, it does fix a tremendous amount of problems with the 1.11. Most importantly it fixes the ground forces bug.

I'm very happy with how this LP is going, but I worry about a lot of the bugs inherent in 1.11 becoming painful to manage. As I see it, I have a couple options before me.

1. We can soldier on, avoiding ground combat as much as possible.

2. We can aggressively pursue this LP to its end, going down fighting. After which I will start a new LP using 1.12, I feel like I've learned a ton about both Aurora and LP'ing from this experience, and a reset could be beneficial.

3. Do a light reset, using Spacemaster to essentially partially recreate the galaxy as we know it.

4. Do a hard reset, starting a new LP once 1.12 is known to be stable.

I welcome anyone's thoughts on the matter. I should be around the next few days. I'm moved into my new place, and got a (very old) computer from a relative to use until mine arrives. I cannot wait for that, having furniture again will be super nice.

Personally, I lean towards going out in a blaze of glory. The improvements in the new version, as well as my ability to play the game/run an LP would make the next run that much better. Everyone will get to be a story character next time, re-dorfing everyone that retires is not super fun.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think the blaze of glory approach sounds good, mainly because it's what interests you the most (and it will be fun).

Also we will need a lot of propaganda posters, and propagagoonda is the best.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
shiny and chrome

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Blaze of glory, many of my worries have been with how you would deal with ground combat and this would address that.

There are also a poo poo ton of quality of life features which you should take advantage of.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Oct 12, 2020

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Telsa Cola posted:

Blaze of glory, many of my worries have been with how you would deal with ground combat and this would address that.

There are also a poo poo ton of quality of life features which you should take advantage of.

Yeah, it was on my mind too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Blaze of glory!