Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++ proposed January 2100 Policy Items +++++++++

Industrial Focus

a. Exo-operation – pursue industrial production that can utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming tech will be researched, as well as Increased mining capacity.

Primary Colonization Effort

a. The Moon – Close at hand and mineral rich, we should immediately put down a colony. This will be easy to build up due to proximity. It can support a max population of 890 million.

Exploration Focus

a. Geo-survey Known Systems Our survey vessels will be sent to each discovered system to first survey celestial bodies, and secondarily survey gravitational anomalies.

Tech Focus

Biology/Genetics

Logic is: yes, we want off world colonies, but let’s use the Moon as a first step and a way to build experience and functional knowledge.

I’ll be paying close attention to this LP since I don’t feel like I have a great handle on Aurora, but I’d like to. You can put my name down as a Ground Commander, getting nuked from orbit sounds fun enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++ Colonization Effort Decision and Naval Development Program+++++++++++
1. What system should we first colonize outside Sol:

a. Adrastapol

2. Should we begin a sustained warship building program, or divert resources elsewhere?

b. The Navy can make do with a few new ships.

3. Europa Defense Initiative

a. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons

+++++++++++ End of Docket+++++++++++

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do you mind random Aurora questions in this thread? I’m trying to figure it out right now and I realized I have a question that didn’t come up in this thread but relates to something you must have already done.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I can’t figure out how to get gravity survey sensors? Did I gently caress something up, or do they have a prerequisite I don’t know about? Geo survey sensors are a research option for me but not grav survey sensors. So I can’t survey Lagrange points, the ships just sort of sit there.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Gnoman posted:

Have you researched Jump Point Theory? I think that is the prerequisite.

Don’t think so! Which category is that?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Do missiles have HTK the same as ships do, or is a big missile just as easy for CIWS to kill as a small one?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

++++++++++++++ Ship Production Voting Docket ++++++++++++++

1. Survey Vessels

B. - LLsix’s Opportunity class Deep Space Survey Ship, a compact short ranged survey vessel.

2. Warships

C. - Firefox's Yeti class Frigate, a high performance missile frigate capable of patrols with aid of a tanker.

1. Colony Ships

B. - LLSix’s Sufficient class Colony Ship, a 40,000 capacity colony ship that can also carry 10,000 tons of cargo.

++++++++++++++ End of Voting Docket ++++++++++++++

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foxfire_ posted:

You have to be either docked in a hanger or at someplace with maintenance facilities (which has a reload speed penalty). Aswan gets one salvo with its 3 box launchers, then future shots only use the 13 reloadable tubes. I figured the box ones were there to use up some otherwise empty tonnage.

Does a ship-based maintenance module count for this? If we had to send ships with box launchers far out as part of an expeditionary force, could we build a large replenishment ship with a maintenance module and deep magazines to refill these launchers?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Who’s in command of the ground forces going to Adrastapol?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Virtual Russian posted:

You are now! It was no one before.

Sweet! I’m excited to get sent out to (what’s currently) the far reaches of space and go crazy.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It would be an honor to die in a random accident on an alien planet

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If we built battleships/battlecruisers for short range combat, does that mean Plasma Carronades are in?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We should try to get people out there whenever we can spare the research resources for xenoarchaeology equipment, then

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Ship design question: do CIWS systems require a beam fire control, or do they get automatic last-minute shots at incoming missiles even without one?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So when it comes to ground unit design, since logistics elements are consumed when the supply is used, do you put them in higher “HQ” formations or attach them to the combat units directly?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
If we want defensive missile bases we can design “ships” with no engines (they have to be carried or towed into position) but with launchers/sensors/fire control, so they can still shoot things. Theoretically you could also design a central sensor platform and pair it with a constellation of distributed launcher/FC platforms, I think. However, I believe that our intention is not to be fighting the enemy in our own orbits at all.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Foxfire_ posted:

Commercial hangers do appear to rearm ships, whether they're meant to or not.

Per the wiki, commercial hangars should reload box launchers. I’m not sure if commercial hangars will reload ship magazines as well or if that requires an ordnance transfer system; I haven’t tried putting a ship big enough to have non-box launchers into a commercial hangar myself.

If this FAC conveyor/CVE is a commercial ship, the explosion chance when hit for commercial magazines is a nice round 100%.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

EclecticTastes posted:

Trained military personnel on civilian ships? Okay, new idea. Let's make peace with our enemies, then design the most luxurious passenger ship imaginable, enough that their leadership decides to buy tickets. As soon as they're onboard, the staff reveals that they're actually highly-trained soldiers, and then we've got the heads of every species' government at our mercy! All we need to do is convince them to stop trying to murder us on sight, fully overcome the language barrier, and develop leisure activities that will appeal to each of their cultures without offending the others. Simple, really.

Oddly enough it turns out shuffleboard is a universal pastime.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Strictly the least qualified and lowest paid people. Even the maintenance robots get paid more because they have a better union.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
We’ll get to see how these ship designs do!