Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
It's been too long since the last Aurora LP and this one seems to be off to a fantastic start.

Dorf me as a naval officer of some kind

Also

B - The only good Xenos is a dead one. Kill them all, burn their worlds to ash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
BCABB

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lots of fancy words when we should be planning on how best to purge some Xenos.

That X stands for eXterminate not Xenophile.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Foxfire_ posted:

Retirements is one of the things C# Aurora changed. Retirement age is now dependent on rank. Basically a junior officer that's been around for a few years is someone who joined up to pay for education, does a tour or two, then quits to go get a civilian job. Upper ranks will be career officers.

Can we not just conscript them?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

That is literally genocide though.

It's only genocide if they're people. We didn't genocide passenger pigeons or dodos did we?

I suggest we explore if the Kookens are edible. The best way to motivate the populace to war would be to discover that Kookens taste great broiled in butter.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I really don't care if once we're on par with them militarily we start aggressively projecting our influence, but I don't like people using it as an excuse to throw down space-nazi rhetoric.

Also you wanted to conquer them as soon as we ran into them.

It's not an unreasonable course of action to want to burn all your enemies in a 4x game. I grant that maybe right now isn't the best time if we don't have resources to do so but I would definitely be in favour of proactively showing these Xenos the benefits of a pacifist outlook on life. Bear in mind we have yet to fire our weapons in anger and we have already had several acts of unprovoked aggression visited upon our diplomatic corps.

I still think we should consider seeing what they are like with some fava beans and a glass of Chianti.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
C

Fine I will tone down the Purging of the Xenos. Let's just gently grill them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

Shoot, my idea didn't work out. Apparently tractor beams in Aurora force the ship with the beam to be the driver. You can't use tractor beams to latch a rider onto a vessel with engines. I was planning to get the Avalanches to double as FAC carriers by turning the Artemises into immobile pods with tractor beams and enough fuel/MSP/magazine space to accommodate 2000 tons of hangar space. That would have allowed the three Avalanches to carry a full squadron of FACs with them into combat while keeping up with the speed of the rest of the fleet, and as soon as an enemy fleet was close enough to matter they could have jettisoned the pods and been up to full speed with 6 FACs alongside them. Alas, when I tested it out, the combined unit moved at 1 km/s.

I think there's still merit to this idea for the future, and the next time we get a chance to design large capital ships I'm going to propose we slap a tractor on there for exactly this purpose. It lets us turn 500 tons of space (tractor beam) into multiple thousand tons of hangar bay space without having to suffer the combat speed/size penalty associated with having it all onboard. An almost completely future-proof 4500-ton pod can accommodate 2 hangar spaces (2 FACs or 4 full-sized fighters), 2 magazines, 250k liters of fuel, 600 MSP, and 5 layers of armor with 24 months of deployment time (for use as jump point defenses or the like). Stripping the armor down to 1 layer reduces the weight to 3800 tons; reducing the deployment time to 12 moths only saves about 60 tons. The only components on there that would conceivably require updating are the armor and the magazines, and neither would really do anything other than shaving a few tons every generation of tech.

Can we do the Weber thing of having loads of towed box magazines?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

That's actually what started the idea in my head, but I don't think missile pods make logical sense in Aurora.

I recall someone in the Saros-LP floating a similar idea in spirit, if not in precise execution but I can't remember the specifics now.

I suppose it's a function of it's origin since Aurora was designed for Starfire rather than HH.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crazycryodude posted:

Only if you crew the pods with real sailors and not just conscripts....

We can even pretend it's a drone if that's what the newsvids need to hear

You only need 2 pigs as a sacrifice to the Warp Gods to open a jump portal so we don't even need to resort to morally difficult suicide bombers.

Bit of a waste of good pork though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is balance the reason why our ships are not allowed to paint targets for missiles originating from other craft?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I was thinking of whether you could have fuckoff huge arsenal ships lobbing super long range missiles across the system guided in by tiny undetectable sensor ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

All of that is technically possible in game. Not exactly the way you describe it, but you can tug shipyards, asteroid miners are a thing, as are recreation and habitation pods.

Can you still park terraformers in orbit and slowly asphyxiate enemy colonies?