Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
In honor of the only role I managed to fulfill (in a manner one might almost call competent) in SS13 in the 3 seconds one gets before exploding for various reasons, put me in as a Janitor, or whatever you deem closest to that.

Actually I also didn't fail too miserably running the bar, so I suppose if you need a Barman or got something closer in purpose to that then feel free to throw me in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++ proposed January 2100 Policy Items +++++++++

Industrial Focus

b. Expand the Fleet – Pour resources into increasing military dockyards and maintenance facilities. Listening posts will also be produced at dispersed in the outer reaches of the solar system.

Primary Colonization Effort

b. Europa – Further out and harsher, it is filled to the brim with highly valuable minerals, as well as containing evidence of a possible alien installation. It can support at maximum population of 726 million.

Exploration Focus

b. Into the Unknown Our two Odysseus class vessels will enter and then scan, if safe, whatever lies beyond the two unexplored JPs in Sol.

Tech Focus

Sensors and Control Systems.

The separator at the top here is a great way to make it easy to separate the vote options from the rest of the update. I'll admit I haven't followed too many grand strategy style threads like this, but either way it's the first I've seen this. Did you come up with that or did you see it somewhere else? It's such a simple idea too in hindsight, but ya'know, 20/20 and all that.

Anywho, the main thrust of my votes is to get as many eyes and ears into space so that there'll be less sudden surprises in the future hopefully. Also I'm curious about that possible alien structure.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I pledge to keep whatever colony I'm stationed at so clean, hostile aliens will skip over it thinking it's already been glassed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know we're not up to a vote yet, but I think we may want to research some better OSHA standards before moving back to other fields.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We need to locate the Space Witch that put this curse on us and get them to lift it somehow, but until then.

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++ Colonization Effort Decision and Naval Development Program+++++++++++

1. What system should we first colonize outside Sol:

c. Accatran - Makes me think of the Transformers

2. Should we begin a sustained warship building program, or divert resources elsewhere?

a. The fleet must grow larger! - eyes and ears! and guns!

3. Europa Defense Initiative

a. We must fortify Europa from future attacks, install Surface-to-Orbit weapons - only trust your StOWs, the police will never help you

+++++++++++ End of Docket+++++++++++

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about boarding parties? I'm not suggesting we do that necessarily, but can you make viable battle fleets based around getting your troops into enemy ships to take them over?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Lone Badger posted:

Haha, that's the spirit! They don't like the taste of cold steel, your basic extee. Put the Marines on board and we'll send them running back to Aldebaran!

Is this a too-vague way to say it's a bad idea? I was mostly wondering since apparently the main ideas people put forth is 1. missiles and 2. beams, and I'm wondering if those are just the only things worth building around or if there's other viable options.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

PurpleXVI posted:

Clearly what we need is an awesome name to convince colonists that it's where they want to go and hang out. How about...

Candyland Alpha(thus implying that there will be more Candylands for them to settle)

Also, out of curiosity, I've seen mentions of civilian/private business doing some work. How... self-motivating are they? Like, they seem to do some mining and civilian transport, but can they settle planets on their own initiative? Build their own small corporate defense fleets?

I'd be down with naming colonies after board games.

Settlement Catan

Twilight Bubble

Monopolis

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
@RealEarth☑️

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

++++++++++++ Naval Doctrine Plan plus Colonial Direction ++++++++++++

1. The core fighting element of our battle fleet should consist of?

A. Large Battleships capable of high speeds, with heavy protection, and bristling with weapons. Think the fighting ships of steel that dominated late 19th and early 20th Century.

Think Big

2. What should our general tactical doctrine be?

C. With lightning speed we close to short range where our railguns and lasers hit with unforgiving strength. Fighting this close in will be ruthless, we could even send across boarding parties to capture crippled vessels. Missiles are primarily used as an alpha strike, with slow or no reload to save space for beams and railguns. Alternatively, we can employ massive, hyper-fast short ranged missiles that can deal structural damage without even penetrating armor due to shock.

Keep Your Enemies Closer

3. What should our general strategic doctrine be?

A. Aggressive Fleet Actions, we should always try to draw the enemy’s fleet into large decisive battles with the goal of achieving supremacy in space. We will take the fight directly to them, destroying or conquering their systems whenever possible.

Best Defense is Offense

----end of naval doctrine---

4. What should our general approach to terraforming be?

B. We should make a fleet of terraforming vessels, which can move under there own power to terraform both empty and populated worlds.

Can't Think of a Silly Slogan

5. We have a small fleet of unused Sufficients, what task should we set to them.

B. Create a colony in Adrantis and begin transporting colonists and infrastructure. This system has an ok balance of minerals, but they often are not easily accessible. The world we would be colonizing first contains a ruined alien settlement, it also would only require minimal terraforming to become a habitable world (colony cost 0).

The Truth is Out There

++++++++++++ End of Docket ++++++++++++

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

++++++++++ Emergency Session on First Contact ++++++++++

We have made contact with a spacefaring extra-terrestrial civilization, we know very little about them. The speed of their vessels may indicate a more advanced tech level, we don’t have much to go on. We need to decide what action the DSS Teoberto Maler is to undertake. Should it?

B. Back off the colony a bit and attempt to communicate.

++++++++++End of Emergency Session on First Contact ++++++++++

Seems the most prudent.

e: oh yeah, am I stationed among any colony's ground forces yet? Now that orbital nuking is possible I'd like to know which planet to worry a bit more about

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 28, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

You're on Earth at the moment, where do you want to get posted to? I'm going to shuffle a couple gauss batteries to Makho's Folly, want to hitch a ride?

Considering what happened over there it sounds like the perfect place for a Combat Janitor, so feel free to put me on a shuttle at your earliest convenience!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I know it stands for Non-Player Race, but I can't stop having thoughts of an invasion by hostile highly-advanced National Public Radios.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't live in the US either, it's probably more that I've been hanging around very US-centric spaces online for the most part.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeesh, those sure are some Kooky aliens, huh!

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++ Union of Terra Policy for 2110s +++++++

Industrial Focus

A. Exo-operation – Continue to pursue industrial production that can be utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming Stations will be produced and dragged into place. We will begin shaping the galaxy to our needs.

Off World Colonies

A. Expansion – Continue to aggressively create new colonies, Adrantis will be quickly colonised to legitimize our claim to it. Our limited resources will be put into expanding the number of colonies we possess.

Military Focus

A. Navy – If the Navy can secure space there will be no need of the army, if they cannot an isolated colony will fall no matter how fortified. Continue the naval expansion project as planned.

The Kooken Menace

A. A Very Cold War - Accatran must be secured, we must match any Kooken aggression, but at all cost try to avoid a potentially cataclysmic escalation with an obviously technologically superior foe. We will not cede Accatran except in the case of outright military defeat. Once we close the technological gap we can consider aggressive actions.

Tech Focus

Construction/Production - it's a close call for me between this and logistics, but atm it seems the main bottleneck is making things, not getting them to the right place (poor planning notwithstanding anyway)

+++++++End of Policy Docket +++++++

Basically I'm thinking of getting more people into more planets while developing better ways to getting the best out of the growing number of colonies. The better tech will then hopefully make improving all colonies, current and future, easier later. As for the military, well, it sounds like generally the boots on the ground get bombed by the jets in orbit so eh.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

Dunno why we're calling them Kookens when they're clearly Koopas.

They call themselves Kookens.

e: actually it's just the planet or nation name, so maybe they are Koopas

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Jul 30, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

GunnerJ posted:

It's a joke about them being turtle badguys

Jokes? Sorry, my Humor research is kinda lagging

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
From my experience losing at many 4X games due to tending towards it, turtling is generally a bad idea. Getting more out of what we have now is all well and good, but what if once we finally feel safe enough to expand again there's already bustling megacities on every planet we had our sights on before Maler reached Voss?

e: I guess the issue is I'm used to games where factions generally have a similar start, I suppose it's just as likely here that every jump point beyond those we've explored is inhabited by highly-advanced NPRs bent on wiping out any species that comes into contact with them.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 31, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah yeah, that'd certainly call for a different way of planning. Still I'd be down for settling into the viable spots we know of, but that's definitely something I'll have to keep in mind voting forward.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about a compromise - an Orbital Bayonet. Impale each and every Kooken... from space!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
You gotta be careful though, some turn into bombs when you jump on them.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm also enjoying things a lot atm! Sadly I can't bring myself to join in on ship design votes, because the "schematics" are way above my comprehension ability.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I don't think I'd want to clean after everyone else forever, so count me out of immortality. Heck, if eventually Ham Jr. finds a different calling than Planetary Garrison Cleaner that's just nature.

e: also

What an unfortunate name, considering circumstances!

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Aug 6, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Maybe the Kookens just instinctively shoot at/hunt down fleeing vessels/animals.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about a compromise?

(Mechs)

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Oh boy, this feels like we'll soon be in an RTS game scenario where the 3 factions are fighting over our territory.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Create a special universal language made up of intricate patterns of beam and missile fire.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How about missiles packed with whatever they put in Heal Grenades and such? And if you replace that with Data that'll do for education.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
How do you figure out if an enemy's fleet is susceptible to microwaves or other forms of sensor-disabling weapons (if they exist directly and not as an indirect result of blowing the ship up)? I kinda wanna see that in action in the event we know they aren't using microwave-proof components or such.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay, in that case I think it was kind of not nice of people to heavily imply there's a good chance the NPRs will have microwave-immune ships.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Zurai posted:

I specifically added at the end of that post:

I missed that part, and I thought the ship rundown was someone else that also mentioned the possible microwave-resistance. But I don't really get the problem then. What if we go all in on missiles but they have powerful anti-missile tech/PD? Or go all in on beams and they all have their ships nanolaminated (been playing some of the Gundam Cross Rays game lately)? We'd be just as screwed.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ah, okay, so it doesn't even have a weakening effect, it either disables completely or does nothing? That explains it, sorry about my misunderstanding the issue.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
GameFACs :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++ Diplomatic Policy Towards Kooken Pleasure Pit Protectorate +++++++++++

1. Upon the completion of our current pair of battlecruisers the Union of Terra will be in an immensely more secured position. The Kooken’s have been occasionally attacking us, as well as refusing to acknowledge our borders. How should we proceed once the Avalanches are complete?

B. Avenge the Maler: We have been humiliated for the last time, all Kooken vessels are to be destroyed upon sight.

+++++++++++ End of Diplomatic Policy Vote +++++++++++

Otherwise it's just a matter of time before we start having to deal with Terror Missions.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Isn't option B literally

Zurai posted:

enforcing our borders and kicking out/destroying scout ships

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I guess the wording is confusing me, the way I understood it B is 'shoot anything Kooken that moves in our territory from now on'

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'd really appreciate clarification on if B means shoot all Kookens that come to us on sight or go to Voss and shoot all Kookens on sight.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++++ Policy Vote for the 2120s +++++++++++++

Industrial Focus

A. Exo-operation

Off World Colonies

B. Improvement

Exploration – Recent years have seen exploration continually cause us problem, should we continue?

C. Balanced Approach

The Fleet - The Gladius, Zeus, and Artemis class vessels are all 20 years old, what should be done about them?

N/A. No Idea

Tech Focus – what should be the focus of a major technological push?

B. Industrial Capacity

+++++++++++++ End of Policy Vote +++++++++++++

Figures that military brass gets to retire before their 40's while I'll still be stuck mopping up grease stains (if I'm lucky!) in the hangars in my late 60's.

Zanzibar Ham fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 28, 2020

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I'm all for showing force when they freely tour around our star systems with no regard to our sovereignty, but trying for the exact thing that people mistook that Kooken-related policy vote for option B is way too much IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
If we're gonna purge all Xenos I'd like to start with the Xenophobes.