Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
ABA, Energy Weapons

Also if any survey ships need an officer, I'm game. Throw me into the unknown so I can die horribly. Alternately make me an administrator on the most hostile backwater shithole you can find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
It's a shame we can't put all those discovered resources to use simply building new scientists, either AI's or androids.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

"Hell yeah, those idiots actually let me go into space despite faking my credentials. Navigator, point us towards the nearest black hole! I want to toss a box of funko pops in there and watch them die."

If there's any chance to survey something incredibly hazardous in a foolhardy manner, the commander and crew of the DSS Aden Baker Meinel volunteer with all their hearts.

Also if commanders have stats or traits, I'd love to see what kind of bright-eyed defective I am in this game.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CBA

Firstly I must insist on us colonizing the system surveyed bravely by yours truly, and also that one of the planets should be renamed in my honour when we do so. I suggest "Purpleheim" or "Purpleville" or possibly "Purpburg." Just to immortalize me.

Secondly we need guns.

Thidly we need more guns.

[attached to the communique is an outsized .bmp file drawing of a new surveyor vessel bristling with guns "in case of alien encounters" that would slow it to a crawl and make it completely unable to effectively perform its primary surveying mission. it's also been decorated with racing stripes]

For real though, are our surveyors actually armed/would it be worthwhile to arm them or are single ships of the surveyor size generally too irrelevant in combat for it to be worth it for a single surveyor to do anything other than leg it, or explode, if it actually encounters something hostile?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

ABA

Also as a curious question, which has the upper effective range ceiling out of railguns and energy weapons?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

We'll likely not play long enough to cap out all tech, but I think 800,000 kilometres is the cap on lasers, and railguns shoot a little shorter possibly. So it's significant;y shorter range than missiles. Beam gun ships are usually less dependent on the range of their beams (still very important), and more dependent on their raw speed. Range matters a lot, but if your opponent outpaces your beam ship it will never get in range to fire.

Clearly we need to build Hiigaran Ion Cannon Frigates. Just one ship shaped around a huge energy weapon to toast enemies from halfway across the battle zone.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

thanks for the feedback, and here a WIP of something I'm working on.

I enjoy working on pixel art stuff. This is pretty simple, and mostly ripped/modified from shipbucket parts templates. I think some visual accents could really spice up the updates, the game is certainly not the easiest to look at/visualize.

This would be a cool content addition, I support it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

We need a proper name for Adrastapol-B III, which will be our first colony outside Sol.

Clearly what we need is an awesome name to convince colonists that it's where they want to go and hang out. How about...

Candyland Alpha(thus implying that there will be more Candylands for them to settle)

Also, out of curiosity, I've seen mentions of civilian/private business doing some work. How... self-motivating are they? Like, they seem to do some mining and civilian transport, but can they settle planets on their own initiative? Build their own small corporate defense fleets?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Do medals have any mechanical effects? And how do I, as a brave survey captain, get some of them?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CABAA

Clearly Ion Cannon Frigates are the supreme vessel of the stellar skies. Mid-sized vessels built around huge cannons that can fire halfway across a system or as close as possible. We're a virtuous people, though, so we'll fight mainly to defend ourselves.

And terraforming already-colonized planets with on-planet terraformers seems like the best option. Less flexible than the other two, but it also sounds like it happens a lot more quickly and will be the least draining on our fleet resources.

I also maintain that Accatran should be colonized and at least one of the planets should be named after me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

B

How in-depth is Aurora diplomacy? Can we get defensive alliances, that sort of thing? Or will peace just mean we can trade with them and travel through their systems without getting blown away?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AAAA

Winning a battle in the skies means not having to fight a ground war at all, but we also need to A) acquire more resources to expand our fleet and B) ensure that the industry outside of Terra is solid enough that in case of Terra being besieged or cut off, or battles being fought far away from Terra, we don't have any excessively long, fragile supply lines.

Oh, and gently caress the Kookens. Let's nuke 'em till they glow! But if they're obviously superior to us, we should fortify all systems we know connect to their home systems with ships and STO's, giving us a home field advantage if they try to break out and allowing us to eventually surpass and annihilate them.

If you need a volunteer captain to lead some sort of absurd revancheist project, feel free to reassign me from my noble survey option. I want to be the first human to shoot an alien

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Greatly enjoying the art additions, by the way.

Also lol at the Kookens just sitting there, staring at the station.

How viable would it be to tow some defense stations into place near the jump point? Would they be likely to get a first shot at incoming hostile vessels with powerful short-range weapons? And how creative can we get with those, like, can we slap a shitload of guns and missiles on an asteroid and tow it into a new orbit?

Also where in space am I currently wasting my time?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Imagine the jump point exits as the ends of two large "pipes." The Kooken vessel is hovering between the "pipes," almost like a stepping stone... the solution becomes clear!!

Imagine four ships at the edge of a jump point...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

What happened to the Kooken ship buzzing Makho's Folly? Did they bug off once it was requested that they do so? And did we at least get an active ping for a sense of their power levels?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I love all this tech posting and analysis.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

B and G based entirely on coolness of ship names.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

B

If we blow up some Kooken scout vessels as they poke their noses into our systems, we may have a shot at looting their wreckage.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

AAAAB

It feels like we're militarily able to compete and protect ourselves now, so it seems like a good time to expand our industrial base so we can outpace our neighbours.

Also, what can we expect, mechanically, from this un-found construct on Europa? Like is it liable to be more of the same as the ruins, or is it potentially a Sajuuk-class derelict craft that can lay waste to our enemies?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Gentlepeople, we need a war. Not because the aliens are a threat to us. Not because it would be great for the economy. But because of this uniform. Do you see this uniform? This one I'm wearing? It's dreadfully bare of medals. We need war until I need a second uniform just to hold all the medals. And, most importantly, we need me in the flagship so I don't miss out on any of the glory. Thank you for your time.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Would it be possible to just design a huge sensor ship with such massive range that it could paint targets from across the system without exposing itself to fire unless the fleet itself crumbles completely? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Virtual Russian posted:

B and C tie: Due to the tie, I will be conducting an armed raid into Kooken territory, and will fire upon their vessels, but will not attempt to deal massive amounts of damage. We just want info on their capabilities. Light damage won’t sink our relations with them much, but should they retaliate and enter our space I will not hesitate to hulk one of their vessels.

Woo! Hell yeah! Put me on one of the ships! I wanna frag some aliens!

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Is there any advantage to having trained military crew on the commercial ships? Do they function much more effectively?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Glad the LP isn't dead and good luck with the new job!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I support the idea of BLAZE OF GLORY into NEW GAME+