Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Exo-operation
The Moon
Geo-survey Known Systems
Construction/Production

obviously we have to start humanity's diaspora on Luna. this has been the dream of man since it was first conceived that one day we might live among the stars. it looks like we've got a good system close by in Accatran, so i think our first long-term project ought to be aiming to put people on it but it's a bit out of our grasp right now.

sign me up as a naval officer please, ideally in command of a scout ship or light warship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

I appreciate you showing off some of the deeper mechanics of how to actually play the game. I've been interested in Aurora for a while but I bounced off and couldn't really figure it out.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Not Alex and Eclectic Tastes you are both in now.

Also yeah, losing those two scientists, who were each alone in their fields, was terrible luck.

Clearly this means we need to invest heavily in shields and lasers. It's more flavourful this way!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

What!? Noooooo!
(please name a ship after the guy who was named after me)

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

A 1000-ton warship tin can that's bristling with box launchers and just enough engines to run away? How positively Jeune Ecole, I love it.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

A: Colonize Adrastapol! Seize that Gaian planet!
B: The Navy can make do with a few new ships. One squadron of the Kobold-class tin cans and one of their associated tenders. Enough that we have something but, frankly, it's much better to invest in growth and industry.
B. We will install a respectable garrison to function as a police force. As above, defense is just not a priority right now.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

So what's stopping us from making a 1000 ton unmanned missile with a range measured in AUs?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

Need a launcher large enough to shoot [a 1000ton super-missile]. There may be an upper limit on launcher size, I haven't checked.

planet. use planet.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Survey: B
Warship: B
Colony: B

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

Feel free to give me (constructive) feedback on the LP so far. It's my first LP so I'm curious what working and what isn't. I feel like the content hasn't been super engaging yet, but we also haven't really had stuff happen. One thing I'm definitely going to try to fill that void with is info on the named officials.

It's pretty quiet now, but we're still getting set up. There's only so much you can do with the material you've got, right? I know very little about Aurora beyond what's been discussed in-thread, so I do appreciate us gradually scaling up to bigger and better things.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

hey, that's 100% more spaceship than i've made, i don't care if it's low effort just keep posting

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

somehow i feel like we're going to wind up with a fleet of missile-pod dreadnoughts and boxlauncher-armed fast attack craft the likes of which would make manticore proud

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Since nobody could agree on just what to name this new world, they settled on the firmly neutral and eminently agreeable name of "Planet"
(it is an Alpha Centauri reference)

Otherwise, in keeping with the 40k themes we've got going on for the stars, perhaps "Malcador"?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Pirate Radar is the commander of the ground forces, on a colony which was founded by our own private citizens jumping the gun with a "chartered" ship.

Well, I guess it's a pirate colony now.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

yes, dying in a horrible and unexpected training accident was quite cool and good. now there's a ship named after me :kimchi:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

B: Carriers
B: Midrange
C: Commerce Raiding
C: Terraforming space stations
C: Accatran

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jul 26, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Much as I'd like to vote for the Hera, as I do think its utility makes it a superior option for a ship that will, most likely, be the only one on-station...
I have to vote for the Kobold

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Would it be worth exploring something like a two-fleet model, then? Garrison FACs, long-range general-purpose colonial service cruisers, plus a battle fleet to do what battle fleets do?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Short-range, heavily-armed, and extremely cost-effective FACs like we're building are, essentially, space PT boats. Space MTBs. Space schnellboots. Back in the days of wet-water navies, platforms like those were why large warships tried not to stray too close to hostile shores; if those little bastards get close enough they will swarm you down.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

B. Back off the colony a bit and attempt to communicate.

They buzzed us, so they know we're here. Let's not start any fights if we don't have to. Cut the engines and start up the radio, let's see if we can say hello.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

With how close these guys are, and how we've inadvertently colonized right on their doorstep, there's a good chance this is going to go to violence either way.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

C - Industry! We need the fuel.
B - Improvement! We can't afford to over-extend ourselves right now.
A - The war is decided in space. Ground combat is merely a formality.
A - Dig in our heels and bide time. gently caress them if they want the planet, we'll glass it from orbit just to spite the bastards.
Armor

Radio Free Kobold fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jul 30, 2020

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

LLSix posted:

I present that discovery to you as the Inspector Gadget.

The Inspector Gadget is armed with a single particle beam that wildly outranges all known alien weapons. It also has the speed and endurance to take the fight to the aliens. A single Inspector Gadget can successfully engage, kite, and destroy all known alien Pleasure Pit forces. The best part is that due to the ship's small size, and limited engine design, the first ships can be rolling out of the shipyards in just 18 months, using only currently available research labs. The ships are small enough that they can be built out of the Han International Shipbuilding yards, allowing the larger Blohm yards to complete their expansion.

A scaled up version of the design is also available. Past a certain point, we don't get much additional useful tonnage by adding more engines, and with this engine design, I reached my breaking point at 6 engines.

:perfect:

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

the Gadget is smol, cheap, and punches well above its weight class. with sufficient ELAN nothing can stop our suicidal martyrs brave heroic crews

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I would volunteer for that, if I was not already dead.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

El Spamo posted:

See!? I told you! I TOLD YOU!

Quit antagonizing the weird lizard aliens they said. You're causing an interstellar incident they said.
Well look, now one of the brightest diplomats is space dust because you numbskulls wouldn't listen when I sent in report after report of spontaneous aggression by the Kookens.
I didn't snap! I was right all along!

*huff* *huff*

can I have my spaceship back plz?

i think we found our volunteer for finding out the enemy's weapon and sensor ranges.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

why stop in their system? park it in orbit of their homeworld.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

F - LLSix’s Hunter Class Destroyer
A - Kodo666’s Army Air Aviation Fighter

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Can you dwarf me again? No real preference towards any assignment.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Virtual Russian posted:

I'm not going to do ground force design contests. I'm happy to workshop designs or vote on variants, but ground unit stuff like command chains is way too interdependent to do one off contests. Sorry to disappoint. I can detail the ground unit process though, as much as I loathe it.

informal vote: fluff wise, do we want our military's armored units to be tanks or mechs?

The next update is going to be huge, sorry for the novel in advance. I'm pushing through to the point where we have meaningful tech advances and can make warships that are not simply stop-gap compromises.

mechs come on how is this even a choice

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

if we can get mechs and bolos at the same time, that's what we should do. like, light/medium mechs backed up by superheavy tanks or something.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

you fool, they're just trying to subvert us through other means!

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

please do not intentionally gimp your space battleship yamato

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

i would like to remind you all of one of the lessons of the Imperial Japanese Navy: the biggest and best gun in the world is only as good as its fire control, and if your fire control sucks then so do you.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

thank you for the rundown zurai, i'm not very good at parsing ship statistics and comparing them.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

I almost want to assume the other way. Given how our big-rear end battleships can in fact be blisteringly fast it's possible they've taken the same tack and what we've seen so far is merely "average" engines as far as the Kooks are concerned. It's also never a good idea to assume demonstrated capabilities (esp. as few instances as we actually have) are in-line with actual capabilities. We definitely want to err on the side of "too much" rather than "just enough".

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Neophyte posted:

Also note accuracy is limited by the BFC speed as well - you could have turrets whirling around at lightspeed but if the BFC is significantly slower than your target you're still going to miss a lot.

The Wolf Hawk's maintenance life might do better if you do what I did with the Fisher and remove some engineering spaces to add maintenance bays. You're basically trading off more frequent breakdowns with a much larger supply of MSP to fix those breakdowns, still giving you a net gain in estimated maintenance life. Plus any beam warship should be MSP-heavy, especially one that counts on volume of fire over damage.

Also I'm a bit sad that nobody thought my SCS Fisher joke was funny :smith:
(although tbf that's probably because it isn't really)

your design is blisteringly fast, extremely well-armed, and ruinously expensive. naming it after the First Sea Lord was an excellent call.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Lando131 posted:

The most? That's simple my friend!

The biggest missile engine we can build with the largest warhead that will fit with whatever room's left over holding the fuel. Capable of blowing through an astounding 12 layers of armor in a single hit!

An Excessively Powerful weapon system for all your battleship erasing dreams.

so how long will it take us to get these mounted on STO planetary defense units?

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Lando131 posted:

Sadly missiles of any kind are not allowed as STO weapons.

space platform, then. how cheap can we get a satellite-mounted version of this thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

Servetus posted:

1. F Avalanche

2 G Acrid and Acid

this