Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Oh poo poo another Aurora thread, dorf me as a naval officer if there's an opening

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A
B
C
C
A

I'm interested in seeing what capital ships + raiding doctrine ends up looking like, probably battlecruisers? Speed is king in Aurora so probably a good idea.

Terraforming space stations are cool as hell and also don't take up shipyard capacity which is very nice, I think they hit the sweet spot between installations and ships. Terraforming takes a long time and it's a major industrial investment no matter what, so moving more slowly than ships is a perfectly acceptable trade off when you only move once every decade or two, as long as you can still move.

Beefing up our already existing colonies to the point where they're self-sustaining is probably the best choice, once they hit a certain size native infrastructure production and population growth take off. I don't think we have any at that point yet though and I'd rather get a handful of colonies bootstrapped quick than spreading ourselves thin and having a dozen underdeveloped backwaters.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

I believe that's the type of alien ruin, ruins appear with a size and a condition, you can find everything from fully intact megacities to ruined listening posts, the bigger and more intact a ruin is the more/better loot it can contain. The one on Europa is pretty low tier (I think destroyed is the lowest quality possible and outpost is either the lowest or second lowest size?) but any level of ruin can still be interesting.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah if ruins yield tech, it's always one level up from your current techs in that field. I guess the precursors were so crazy advanced there's always something you can learn from taking their poo poo apart, whether you're at tech level 1 or 15. Also there's a few techs that are exclusively from ruins, and they can hold various industrially or militarily useful goodies in addition to techs.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

C, they're a military survey craft not a diplomatic team prepped for First Contact. Pull back the soldiers to give the neighbors breathing room until we're ready, and then send a delegation of real diplomats. Completely coincidentally this also means the spooks back home get time to analyze all the sensor data the crew of the Maler are remembering to save HD copies of right?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Getting our fuel problems solved ASAP is absolutely critical because running out of gas is, well, running out of gas. Your military is totally paralyzed, as are your logistics and war industries. We really don't need to deal with a fuel shortage while there's a war looming.

C. Strengthen Sol’s Industry

quote:

Earth’s factories will be greatly expanded, especially fuel refineries. Industrial production tech will be pursued. Sorium harvesting will be researched and a
fuel harvesting station built and placed in Sol once possible.
There's a fuel crisis looming, time to expand fuel production. If we're facing a tech disadvantage then we're going to have to make up for it with an industrial base anyways and Earth is the only secure-ish place to put major industry.

B. Improvement

quote:

We must make our current colonies larger and more functional. We need to develop their native industries, or at least get them exporting vital TN minerals.
We need minerals to feed our war industry and can't afford to spend fuel running colony ships out to create more resource sinks.

C. Balanced Approach

quote:

Keep our naval expansion on track, but divert some resources to developing a better military. Send a few more batteries to Makho’s Folly.
I dunno I just like both, we're probably not going to beat them toe to toe in space so making them pay to overrun the colony is nice if nothing else.

A. A Very Cold War

quote:

Accatran must be secured, we must match any Kooken aggression, but at all cost try to avoid a potentially cataclysmic escalation with an obviously technologically superior foe. We will not cede Accatran except in the case of outright military defeat. Once we close the technological gap we can consider aggressive actions.
We're behind both technologically and economically, best to turtle up and hope they give us enough time to get on our feet. But keep the colony as a tripwire, we can't afford the declaration of war coming via fleet jumping into Sol unannounced.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

The Gadget looks great both on a cost/time front and a capabilities front, certainly way better than the tin can I'm saddled with right now. It's gonna be horribly obsolete in a generation but that's how all early game Aurora ships are and we've got a war on against a superior enemy that we need passable ships for ASAP.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Put my dorf on story mode I guess, now that there's a war on it would suck to go out via early retirement.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Any mixed ships definitely need to keep a salvo or two of torpedoes tucked away, a dozen huge warheads are one hell of a wildcard to play as the beam duel starts.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yes it's just a fighter with the crew stripped out for more engine and a 25 megaton warhead, but what if we tried to fit a 50 megaton warhead instead?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

LLSix posted:

In c# you don't need hangers at all, just maintenance capacity. I'm honestly not sure what a commercial hangar does.

A way to ferry fighters/FACs around long range without needing to take military carriers off the front maybe?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

H
F

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

That's what I was thinking, yeah, a fighter freighter to schlep them from the factories to the front. The factories are the front at the current moment so not much need, but something to keep in mind for if we survive.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If they have active sensors, they can be burned out by microwaves. Maybe some of the spoilers are immune? But no normal races are, it's just that microwaves are pretty niche so they don't show up a lot.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

B

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Shooting everything that moves is enforcing our borders? Nowhere does B say we're going to just point at their homeworld and go full speed ahead until we're dead or out of gas, it says we're going to start blowing up all those scouts that keeping coming into our territory. We've been asking them politely to leave, time to stop being so polite and start enforcing our borders.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah you're trying to paint it like B means throwing our whole fleet into the teeth of their homeworld's defenses, which would obviously be moronic I agree. But it's not, it's shooting the military scouts violating our territory as self-defense, just like I am 100% sure they would do to any scouts we sent to lurk around their colonies. The shooting war already started years ago with the Maler, B is just standing up for our basic territorial sovereignty. The other option is just let them keep spying on us and eventually planting their own colonies unmolested which is even dumber.

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 20, 2020

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If they drop a large fleet one jump away from Sol, uh, yes of course it's a no brainer that we have to fight? They're making appearances in the outer regions of the Sol system already, we need to tighten up the guard on the JP before the next contact that comes out of nowhere in Sol is a cruiser dropping nukes on Europa or something instead of a scout. And the AI planting colonies in territory you don't chase them out of is just what the AI does, that's not made up at all.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Virtual Russian posted:

+++++++++++++ Policy Vote for the 2120s +++++++++++++
Industrial Focus
A. Exo-operation – Continue to pursue industrial production that can be utilized in off-world mining and colonization efforts. Infrastructure will be mass-produced, mass-drivers made and deployed alongside automated mines. Terraforming Stations will at last be produced and tugged into place. We will design a new high capacity colony ship to vastly increase colony growth.

Off World Colonies
B. Improvement – We must make our current colonies larger and more functional. We need to develop their native industries, or at least get them exporting vital TN minerals. Freeshire should become self sufficient and be able to host a fleet.

Exploration – Recent years have seen exploration continually cause us problem, should we continue?
A. To Boldly Go – We cannot allow our series of disappointments and reversals to stymie our efforts. We must double our efforts. We will continue to aggressively explore the galaxy. The commissioning of exploration cruisers is to be considered, no longer will our explorers fall prey so easily to hostile aliens.

The Fleet - The Gladius, Zeus, and Artemis class vessels are all 20 years old, what should be done about them?
B. Refit – With some smart refits we can squeeze another decade of life from these ships, they may not be ideal, but at least they function. An economical refit won’t produce the best vessels, but it will be far cheaper than commissioning brand new ships. The FACs will still likely need simple replacement.

Tech Focus – what should be the focus of a major technological push?
B. Industrial Capacity – We will research tech that increases our construction, mining, shipyard maintenance, and fuel refining.
+++++++++++++ End of Policy Vote +++++++++++++
No probing attack

I definitely want to stick our dick in the beehive at some point but we need to play industrial catch-up before we can afford the expense and absorb losses

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

A, the dick doesn't enter the beehive until it's large enough to absorb some stings without catastrophic consequences

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Only if you crew the pods with real sailors and not just conscripts....

We can even pretend it's a drone if that's what the newsvids need to hear

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Every beam ship at least should have its own tiny active so it can always fire its own guns, they're not really that expensive both in BP and mass so you scatter a bunch around as backups. But I think we should also have some dedicated fleet scouts with big sensors so we can actually see the other guys from more than a few million km away.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

You need maintenance berths to park your ships in, enough fuel and spare parts production to keep them flying, enough resources to build them, enough crew to fly them, and ideally enough officers to command them (not strictly necessary just very helpful) but there's no hard caps. If you can pull together the resources to do all those things, you can have as many ships as you want. You don't even strictly need trained academy crew, you have an infinite pool of conscript crew, they're just dogshit in a fight compared to real spacers.

E: Beaten, but yeah, whatever you can afford you can have

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

If you want you can pretend the big "C" stamped on their crew file stands for "civilian" and not "conscript" or "convict"

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Sep 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Yeah I'm down to yeet the entire fleet at their homeworld and just see what happens, this specific setup was looking pretty loving hairy anyways