Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Sonny 12 14.46%
FTR vs Lucha Bros 28 33.73%
Elite vs Dinosaurs 33 39.76%
Cage vs Mox 10 12.05%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Capn Combustible
May 30, 2013

I'm watching you.

I Before E posted:

What did Ivelisse even do? I'm not finding much controversy online other than being co-plaintiffs with Joey Ryan in the LU lawsuit, which doesn't seem like a particularly close relationship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I may be wrong but another aspect of heel managers (beyond being a mouthpiece for folks who can't talk, which is not the case with Nyla) is literally as a heater; Nyla Rose wrecking shop on her own is pretty loving badass, and she's entertaining enough as a poo poo talker/shitposter that maybe there's a concern that she's not going to get booed (metaphorically, since there aren't really crowds).

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

wandler20 posted:

So where can I order the OC towel?

ShopAEW.com!*

* Please read in Excalibur's voice

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Let Britt Baker compete for the TNT Title coward Tony (not Schiavone, the other Tony).

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Edge & Christian posted:

I may be wrong but another aspect of heel managers (beyond being a mouthpiece for folks who can't talk, which is not the case with Nyla) is literally as a heater; Nyla Rose wrecking shop on her own is pretty loving badass, and she's entertaining enough as a poo poo talker/shitposter that maybe there's a concern that she's not going to get booed (metaphorically, since there aren't really crowds).

That might actually be a good explanation. A lot of fans are familiar with Nyla on social media where she’s really cool and funny and that endears people to her, she’s not as devoted to being a heel outside of the ring as like an MJF.

Also I think it’s partly what was mentioned earlier that there is a culture obsession around “crazy Karens” right now and Vickie is a good way to capitalize on that, but she seems like a WAY better fit for Britt Baker. I liked the idea someone brought up of Taz taking Nyla on and it’d be cool if he just builds a hoss stable of clients if they can get a big man tag team.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Vickie does not really fit Dr Baker’s presentation. Dr Baker is the very smart doctor role model who has lackeys and flunkies and Toneies, giving her a manager who is her vibe but extra doesn’t gel with Dr. Baker being in charge

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
one things I did like about this episode is it felt like it was setting up more story lines/matches than the average ep of Dynamite.

There was Tully scouting Cody and FTR, the Oc/Jericho stuff, Nayla and Vicki, you got more on FTR and the Bucks, with Kenny thrown in, that quick cut away to Page drinking with FTR that could go so many ways, Arn not being so happy with how Cody is acting on his title defenses...Maybe it's just me, but this felt like a lot of story progression, in a good way.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

karmicknight posted:

Vickie does not really fit Dr Baker’s presentation. Dr Baker is the very smart doctor role model who has lackeys and flunkies and Toneies, giving her a manager who is her vibe but extra doesn’t gel with Dr. Baker being in charge

Also Vickie really doesn't need to be with Britt because whenever Vickie's talking that means Britt isn't talking and what's the point of that?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

enigmahfc posted:

one things I did like about this episode is it felt like it was setting up more story lines/matches than the average ep of Dynamite.

There was Tully scouting Cody and FTR, the Oc/Jericho stuff, Nayla and Vicki, you got more on FTR and the Bucks, with Kenny thrown in, that quick cut away to Page drinking with FTR that could go so many ways, Arn not being so happy with how Cody is acting on his title defenses...Maybe it's just me, but this felt like a lot of story progression, in a good way.

They did a Coaches Corner with Arn after that match and he was seriously pissed at Cody. It feels like something big could happen against WARHORSE.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like a reformed horsemen stable would be awesome as poo poo, but there's no way in hell a Rhodes can be a part of it imo

Hangman isn't a total babyface, but he's not really a tweener either, he's a demi tweener? lol, idk. The horsemen stable would have to be pretty not-heel to successfully incorporate Hangman (as its leader presumably). it could set up interesting tensions and growing pains for the stable's storylines as it goes, with FTR being on the heelish side of tweener and Spears being a loaded glove worshiping psycho

if Kenny goes evil and it costs Cowboy Bebop the belts, i think Hangman is done with The Elite completely and a free agent. Tully could have just been icing out double A during Cody's match, like "this is your boy? lmao. lets go get a shot and talk about our real next moves Arn"

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Cody's hinting at the four horseman stuff so much that I'm convinced he's gonna be left out of it and it'll be face horsemen (Inc Hangman) vs heel Elite (Inc Cody)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pylons posted:

WARHORSE.

:thunkher:

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Edge & Christian posted:

It also gives babyface opponents someone to shine against without diminishing Nyla as a monster. Like, let's say you have a Nyla and Swole feud and you want Swole to stand tall going into the match. Simple, she tosses Vickie in a dumpster or dumps a jug of milk over her head or something, people see Vickie get her comeuppance without ruining the special moment of Swole and Nyla finally going toe to toe.

Plus as long as Vickie can bump it gives Nyla a built in way of turning face. Just have Vickie turn on her then Nyla hits a Beast Bomb. The pop would be enormous.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 16, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

Also Vickie really doesn't need to be with Britt because whenever Vickie's talking that means Britt isn't talking and what's the point of that?

Also a very good point, yeah, need to maximize those Dr. Baker minutes.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm pretty surprised that they have MJF available and he hasn't done anything other than feud with Jungle Boy and the dinos (it's been a great feud). It would seem like he would at least take a shot at Cody's title at some point? At least give him more talking time, he probably cuts the best promo in AEW besides Jericho.

HOT! New Memes
May 31, 2006

Where was Janela tonight?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

HOT! New Memes posted:

The convenience store, probably.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

HOT! New Memes posted:

Was he not ringside? He had an instagram story from ringside during the Jericho segment.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

fawning deference posted:

I'm pretty surprised that they have MJF available and he hasn't done anything other than feud with Jungle Boy and the dinos (it's been a great feud). It would seem like he would at least take a shot at Cody's title at some point? At least give him more talking time, he probably cuts the best promo in AEW besides Jericho.

I feel like AEW has a bit of a shortage when it comes to midcard singles faces, which reduces the number of people MJF could be feuding with.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

fawning deference posted:

He's about to feud with Mox so they've been saving him for that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

It feels like we were supposed to get Mox vs. MJF at DON but the pandemic derailed that, so now I wouldn't be surprised if they get back to it for All Out.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Rarity posted:

He's about to feud with Mox so they've been saving him for that

Yeah, MJF has a win up on Cody from Revolution, so unless they want to burn "Cody beats MJF" on a TNT title match in the middle of an open reign (or given MJF the TNT title which seems like a very bad idea to me), Maxwell has been feuding with the right people (beloved babyface Jungle Boy and his problematic friends) to keep him warm until Moxley is in a position to feud with him for a big PPV main event.

JUNGLE BOY
Sep 23, 2019

Ivelisse seems like a freakin dumbass, but there is no shortage of those in wrestling. Given how close knit the AEW locker room is, if she hasn’t grown as a person and is still toxic backstage, then she’s not going to last very long anyways.

I don’t see anything super damning as to why they shouldn’t hire her, but then again we are getting ahead of ourselves because she might just be there to job to Diamanté who may be the actual signee

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

blunt posted:

Cody's hinting at the four horseman stuff so much that I'm convinced he's gonna be left out of it and it'll be face horsemen (Inc Hangman) vs heel Elite (Inc Cody)

I'm definitely feeling a swerve on Cody and I think a Page heel turn would be an odd fan dynamic, but like, I can't imagine whatever their plans are include face FTR and Spears.

I think the easiest swerve would be... no one turns. They tease Cody, Page, Omega, Bucks... and in the end the horsemen thing forms without any of them but with someone like MJF or Archer at the top of it. And once again the Elite are forced to put aside their petty bullshit to fight a threat. Or you have the crumble under the pressure this time.

But I dunno. Lots of possibilities and that's why I like it. I don't know what's coming.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Jon Moxley is the best booked, best wrestling singles champion of 2020 and that's pretty cool.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Arn was pretty pissed at Cody in his Coach's Corner thing, so I could see them going in a "Horsemen without Cody" direction if they continue to build that rift. Arn takes the thing Cody wants the most and makes it happen with 4 other people instead.

Also, is this the time to have a woman in the 4 Horsemen? Hangman, FTR, and... someone? I feel like Britt is too much of her own thing to need it, Nyla has her whole thing with Vickie, Penelope has Kip, and I can't think of any other heels at the moment.

Really I just want some of these stables to start adding women. It seems like an easy way to ignite some tensions and storylines into the division if the wrestlers are in clearly divided groups.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno that they can have Tully just drop Spears after remaking him as Blackjack Mulligan

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, Tully's been teased so much with this that if he forms a "Horsemen" and Spears isn't part of it you either need to turn him face and have him seriously combat them or just kill him dead as a joke. Meanwhile you could just include him in the group as the guy who takes pinfalls. That was working out great for Sammy before he derailed himself.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I really like that AEW managers really do add something to their clients and there's incentive for a wrestler to acquire the services of a manager.

Like Arn is constantly watching the ropes to make sure there's not shenanigans, he's willing to get in people's faces, and he's a second set of eyes in the ring to make sure Cody isn't get hit with moves he can't prepare for.

Jake is the same way, plus he keeps Archer focused on winning the match and not just killing his opponent. I see Vickie being in a similar role. If Nyla gets too hung up on putting somebody through a table or whatever, then Vickie can pull her back and get her focused on the ring.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Or Vickie can trip her opponent, or distract the ref. Nyla's made it clear she wants the belt back, and will do anything to get it.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Vickie's gonna stand at ringside yelling the whole match and I'm gonna either stop watching Nyla Rose matches or having newfound appreciation for squashes.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

blunt posted:

Face FTR (and Tully, and maybe Arn?) would be weird but I think there's a way to pull it off as Hangman's Faction of Alignment-Ambivalent rear end-Kickers

This is more born out of me wanting Hangman to have his own crew than actual storyline considerations though

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

I wish I didn't have to watch Dark on my phone to get screencaps.

Speaking of Dark, I actually kind of dug the Serpentico/Luther tag team, though it's probably more accurate to say I dug Serpentico teaming with a larger guy who could toss him at opponents.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The scenario in which the entire Elite turn heel on FTR, Tully, and Arn all in the name of having Page team with them but not be the heel is just very, very odd. Like I get not wanting to turn Page heel. It would be a tricky thing at the very least.

But I really like what they're doing because we should get a fun BTE segment where Kenny is like "What the hell? You're drinking with those guys?" and Page is all "You hung out with the Bucks when we had problems." And then Page is like "What was that with Jurassic Express?" and Kenny is all "I had your back when people were questioning your actions."

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
To me it feels like the Elite is just on a long slow alignment-ambivalent (great term btw) disintegration that may finally be reaching a few breaking points. Cody isn't even part of it at this juncture, more or less, Hangman is over The Bucks Christian AF bullshit, and he's kinda at his limit with Kenny as well, the man wants to get on his horse and mosey to greener pastures.

Kenny seems primed to go into a full fledged crisis arc, especially if they drop the tag belts (inevitable obv) and Hangman dissociates.

The big payoff looks something like teasing 4H reformation for a couple months with Cody thinking he's part of it and then Hangman is revealed as the 4th/leader. It'd be a great shove on The Destruction Of Cody Rhodes angle that has kinda been back burnered, especially if AA peaces out at his lowest point (losing the TNT title to Hangman obv)

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

The scenario in which the entire Elite turn heel on FTR, Tully, and Arn all in the name of having Page team with them but not be the heel is just very, very odd. Like I get not wanting to turn Page heel. It would be a tricky thing at the very least.

But I really like what they're doing because we should get a fun BTE segment where Kenny is like "What the hell? You're drinking with those guys?" and Page is all "You hung out with the Bucks when we had problems." And then Page is like "What was that with Jurassic Express?" and Kenny is all "I had your back when people were questioning your actions."

Page not turning heel is really the only thing I feel like you couldn't do with this story. And a lot of that is personal, I don't want the guy who's general problem is "My friends won't calm down" and "I deserve nice things too" to be the heel in this story. Everything else though feels like it could go any which way and I hope we get some cool payoffs for these stories they're setting up.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Page not turning heel is really the only thing I feel like you couldn't do with this story. And a lot of that is personal, I don't want the guy who's general problem is "My friends won't calm down" and "I deserve nice things too" to be the heel in this story. Everything else though feels like it could go any which way and I hope we get some cool payoffs for these stories they're setting up.

I think its very tricky. You COULD turn Page heel and I think you'd have to tie it to Kenny and really sell the idea that when Page was going through a personal crisis Kenny stood by him but now that Kenny is going through one Page is a lovely, selfish friend. But to do that you need to walk a line with Kenny and even if you do it just won't work with a lot of people who are deeply invested with Page and personally connecting with his story.

So yeah, I'm not sure I think its the right move to do at all. I think it would be very interesting and I like that they're teasing it. And I don't have that personal attachment so I don't mind gambling with Page a little. But I don't know if its a gamble worth taking.

smarxist posted:

To me it feels like the Elite is just on a long slow alignment-ambivalent (great term btw) disintegration that may finally be reaching a few breaking points.
Yeah gun to my head my prediction is that the "horsemen" form without Cody or Page but the Elite still just finally have their big split and go their separate ways under the stress of all their problems and the paranoia. Like the idea we all have is Horsemen vs Elite but maybe its not that. Maybe its just Horsemen with the Elite just imploding.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 16, 2020

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Page staying Face and Kenny turning heel is the arc I want. I don't care about the bucks, but having Kenny and Page in an arms race for the title or Kenny taking it off Mox to set up Hangman's run is the story I want.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Also Page should be their top face, they don't need more top heels, they've got Jericho, with MJF, Archer, and Cage. That's a good group, and Cody might be turning heel, too.

Agree that Hangman winning it from Omega is the best arc. Maybe have MJF hold the TNT title in the meantime, so once Hsngman wins it, you have MJF ready to take it, then drop it to Jungle Boy.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

A lack of faces doesn't strike me as a concern. IF Page turned heel that would leave Omega face and maybe Cody. Plus you've got Moxley. Plus you've got guys like Cassidy and Jungle Boy who could get the bump. Plus you have Scorpio who they SHOULD give a serious face push. Plus there's still Darby even if a lot of us are cold on him now.

Its really just a question of if you want Page heel and if you think you can pull it off or its worth it. Which is a real question. I think its fun and outside the box to think about but that doesn't make it the right booking decision. But i don't think you should let face/heel numbers determine that. Even if you had a shallow main event face side I think that provides opportunity to elevate new faces and put the focus on the tag and women's division to compensate.

Well tag until the women get fixed.