Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MOTN
This poll is closed.
Cody vs Sonny 12 14.46%
FTR vs Lucha Bros 28 33.73%
Elite vs Dinosaurs 33 39.76%
Cage vs Mox 10 12.05%
Total: 83 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

As a regular episode of Dynamite I think it was okay, but as a thing they put a lot of hype around I feel like it didn't quite deliver, but some of that is also just my inherently weird feelings about the main event and Darby.

Lucha Bros/FTR was loving awesome, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I feel like AEW in general is in the tough spot where the fact that they deal with SOME of these issues as opposed to completely ignoring them makes it feel that much worse when they do ignore them. Aside from the WWE being terrible for a bunch of reasons they don't give a gently caress about their public perception of propriety; they lionize Hulk Hogan, their CEO was in the Trump cabinet and Vince McMahon is a rapist, the only people they punish are people they consider totally expendable. So it winds up being nearly impossible to be disappointed in the WWE for condoning and promoting bad people because they have at every turn made it clear that they ARE bad people and they're totally cool with supporting bad people.

AEW has since day one made a very public point out of being inclusive and progressive (by the pretty fuckin' low standards of the wrestling industry), and that makes it weird and disappointing when arguably their top star does a Trump podcast or boosts Covid conspiracies and they don't say anything about it, or when they make public examples of Havoc and Sammy while continuing to promote Darby. You can't make the fact that you care part of your identity and not have people be disappointed when you fail to care.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I think it is equally okay to like entertainment and acknowledge its problematic nature while trying not to let it get in the way of your enjoyment as it is to want to like that entertainment but have to talk about struggling with your mixed feelings about its source and neither is by necessity mutually exclusive

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Spears isn't great, but he's fine, he's just also one of the very few dudes AEW has done an objectively bad job with

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

That's kind of the problem, though, they've already done that like three times. He came in and turned heel and he was The Chairman, A Vicious rear end in a top hat, except then he lost a bunch and they mostly ditched that, so they dropped the whole chairman thing and made him Tully Blanchard Jr. and had him feud with Janela, but once the Janela feud was over they tried to push him into a tag team with the whole talent search thing which got hosed up because of the pandemic, so they suddenly made him Comedy Heel, Sort Of? and had him do that weird Rhodes redux feud where he had underwear with Tully's face on his crotch, and now they've redone him yet again as Shawn Spears Except Now He Has a Magic Evil Glove.

Any one of those gimmicks could have worked (okay maybe not ball-face Tully) if they just let it breathe and used him consistently, but they can't decide if he's someone who matters or not and they can't let any of those gimmicks breathe, and constant reboots and investments/deinvestments are the biggest audience interest killers.