Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best type of sword
Katana
Saber
Claymore
Rapier
Long Sword
Gladius (Roman)
Big hunk of metal anime sword
Short Sword (starting weapon)
Goku with a sword
View Results

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The simple elegance of a katana, the humble yet mysterious allure of the staff sword, the sheer badassery of the claymore... swords are cool as hell but impractical in todays society... or are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
A sword is as useful today as it was in the olden days. I think the first big mistake people make when starting their sword collection is overthinking things. Your wife isn't going to leave you because you bought a sword. Let's face reality here Funky she had her bags packed mentally months before that Cold Steel zweilhander arrived by courier. Do the elegent cool lines of distill tapered steel compare to her soft hands resting on your chest as you sleep or the way she called you Funky Monkey when you made her laugh? No of course not but that's not what it was designed to do. It was designed to cut a bottle of water cleanly in two and it does that with razor-like efficiency. For the price point the Cold Steel zweihander is an excellent sword and well worth the purchase. 8/10 stars.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I strongly recommend the cane sword + steampunk top hat ensemble.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

I got a badass scimitar from a proper swordsmith when I was 16 :agesilaus:

Proper sword thingie. In storage atm sadly so no pics sorry nerds

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I need to replay Vagrant story again but the Schiavona was badass. (8/10)

Alternately a lightsaber.

staberind fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jul 17, 2020

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What's a staff sword

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5ljaS9q1fI

reminds me of the show Home Movies

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

im going to get a tiny tiny sword that is hard to see and i will be the most powerful assassin to ever stalk the land. since it is so small i will also be able to throw it pretty far, and i can also carry a lot of them too

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo
the sword world continues to overlook in my opinion the efficiency and power and i even say majesty of the great sword

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Let me be the first to say: Hatori Hanzo sword or suck a male camel's dick with hoisin sauce op.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

I think that if you're going to be practical about home defence a short sword is the way to go. How are you going to swing a katana in your bathroom corridor, idiot?

regular mike
Mar 29, 2010
I got some kinda tanto thing at an estate sale for like 9 dollars. It's ugly but full-tang and sturdily made. Keep it under my bed for a rainy day.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I once watched a video of 2 LARPershistorical fencers fighting to see if 2-hander or rapier would win and a guy with a rapier pretty much destroyed the 2-hander guy.

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
They'll cut you...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuI1zY46OX0

Slippery
May 16, 2004

Muscles Boxcar
What do you mean "considers"

Also, everyone peep the BudK thread here in GBS for all your 'display sword' needs. Special bonus, racism and general bullshittery included. (in BudK, not in the thread posters AFAIK)

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I like the swords tgat make the metallic *zing* sound and then they make a sound when the sun hits them HELL YEAH!!!

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Rapier is best for home defense unless you live in a drat mansion where swinging is a viable option.

Proles stab.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It will ... Kiiillll

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Professor Shark posted:

I like the swords tgat make the metallic *zing* sound and then they make a sound when the sun hits them HELL YEAH!!!

That effect is known as "tempering" the blade and only a master sword smith can do it. In almost every movie you see where a sword does that it's actually a foley guy opening the gate to a cemetery a midnight.

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Buy a gun idiots

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

JK Fresco posted:

Buy a gun idiots

i have asked this question many times but none have been able to answer. is a knife that shoots its blade a gun? if so im going to buy a gun right now

JK Fresco
Jul 5, 2019
Its called a ballistic knife

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

BIG TIT LIL NIP posted:

i have asked this question many times but none have been able to answer. is a knife that shoots its blade a gun? if so im going to buy a gun right now

Why not a gun that's also a knife? And a corkscrew if you're French.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1TwTXkBnUY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtvPabwOx4

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Lol if you actually need a sword when your fists should be the most deadly weapon of all

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Lol if you actually need a sword when your fists should be the most deadly weapon of all

This, everyone here has forgotten to only trust their fists

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGMtXqo1N9E&t=19s

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

dismaying absence of scimitars, op

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Lowtax trusted his fists and look where that got him.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

opening up my package with a replica sword from LoTR and proclaiming myself the coolest kid in school

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
while you were studying the sword, i was studying the bl... oh. hmm

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Gladius only because it's a decent jack of all trades weapon if we're being honest and planning on totally saving a hot person of our choosing as we forage the countryside in search of weed and hot snacks piled high after 2020 leaves the world a desolated moon scape.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Dual bat'leths if i'm drinking

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
There's only one for me

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Icochet posted:

Dual bat'leths if i'm drinking

Huh so that's how they came up with demon hunters in wc3 :thunk:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Swords are lame btw get a modern elegant weapon like a nail bat :fuckoff:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Whatever Michonne uses in the Walking Dead is what I want

Algol Star
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, it's your father's half-brick in a sock. Not as random or clumsy as a broken bottle, a more elegant weapon from a more civilised age.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Archer666 posted:

There's only one for me

hitting seven necks at once doesn't sound very maniac berserker to me. that takes coordination and planning, as well as training, and a big sword

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
swords aren't good for anything, but everyone should still own one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Actually they're great for cutting bottles in your backyard while you try not to think about starting again as an out of shape 47yo man with no wife but a fantastically crafted and affordable replica of an historical zweihander. Really no complaints about the sword at all.