Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
2020 is bringing a lot of tribulations for the city. The story is different in the mountains. Share about the last time you were able to get out and hear the good news.

For me it was looking for morels. Last year was a big fire year around here. We tried going one weekend, but we were a little early. I dodged work on a Thursday drove to a gated access road, biked back a ways, and started walking. There were a few, but I started to worry I'd charged in too excited and scared them all off. Then I came to a draw with cathedral lighting and sparkles in the air. Hello guys, nice to see you. This was the first time I'd been morel picking instead of morels hunting. It was grand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I haven't been able to get out and do much this year besides some local trips but last winter I went to Joshua Tree national park and did a bunch of hikes.

Great time to go, the weather was perfect and it wasn't crowded at all.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Two friends and I hiked the Devil's Path here in New York. It sucked! Well, it was just physically tough. All 3 of us underestimated the trail, or overestimated ourselves. But I'm very glad I did it. I got to check off 'staying at an Adirondack Lean-to' off my list of things I want to do. Got to see some pretty nice views, and hike through the Catskills for a while, which was great.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
https://pasteboard.co/Ji7iled.jpg

Pack rafting Tazimina Lakes / River in Southwest Alaska around solstice was pretty good.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
July 4th weekend :hehe:

Got out into Washington alpine lakes area for the first backpacking trip of the year. Felt good to get out and it was our first time out with the dog, was great! Well until he refused to swim across the horse ford... So here i am carrying my 60 lbs dog through 6'1 dude knee high water about a hundred feet with my backpack on like a jackass. I chucked him in about 7 feet from shore and he looked so betrayed :laffo:

He was a perfect little camper though and were excited to do more with him!

Different trip but he'll barely get in a stream, the cute little guy

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Crow posted:

I chucked him in about 7 feet from shore and he looked so betrayed :laffo:

Haha, drat, owning the poor pup. Sounds like he kinda deserved it though

That reminds me of a dog stream crossing story. We were heading up high to ski, and used this stream as a route. We crossed a few times without much trouble. Then it entered a canyon, and got trickier. We should have exited sooner, but we stubbornly kept going up stream. After a stretch of somewhat hairy maneuvering, we came to a cliff on our side and a pretty burly but possible jump to the other side. The humans determined we would cross, but the dog was like oh hell no. So we stomped all the thin ice on both sides, set one person on the far side to catch, and tossed the 55 lbs dog over the icy rapid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Went down south to help a friend move. Our state (Western Australia)'s been covid free for a few months now and the govt gave the all clear to move around a bit more so we decided to do it before someone inevitably slipped the border and started the second wave.

Went hiking around the Porongorups and the Albany coast while I was down there.