Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lol and order
Apr 4, 2006

Outrail posted:

Lol at the comments just matter of fact stating those are bigfoot sounds. Obviously.

Is that an 'Almasty' ?

Someone suggested it may have been a Eurasian Lynx - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbmObjwrB5U

But that faint singing and humming sounded like a woman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.

Fallen Rib

Super looking forward to going camping again this year, as soon as it stops being sloppy and messy. I have been shopping for gear all winter long, largely just as something to do... I have way more gear than honestly my level of hardcore-ness merits. But maybe I will grow into it? It's a goal, anyhow.

Last year I had major abdominal surgery in January and April, so so I wasn't very fit for hiking or camping. 10lb lifting restrictions would have forced me into the super Ultra light camper class, and I am frankly more likely to want to bring a steel tripod and a cast iron dutch oven. Got a couple of solo trips in September and October, but that was it.

I am hoping to drag more friends out as own tents, out doors is social distance friendly, but I am definitely more into it than a lot of my friends. Took one hiking 8 miles a few years ago, and he still holds it against me. He's like 10 years younger! How was I to know he doesn't consider that a reasonable distance?

Any good motivation tips for prying friends off the couch, and into sleeping bags?

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Are they total newbies or do they just need reminded to get out? Do they have a passion you could tap into? Drinking beer around a fire, fishing in spot that's hard to day-trip, etc.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.

Fallen Rib

Eh, 1 likes fishing, but claims he has camped enough with parents to last a lifetime. Another likes poking fires and cooking, but won't hike, doesn't like bugs. Another few claim to suffer from outdoor insomnia - too weirded out by sounds and surroundings to sleep. 2 more have a new baby, and others have toddlers. Another has a legit fubar back and would seize into a solid brick of goon if forced to even air mattress sleep.

So yeah. Frustrating. I am an import to this state, so my bench of friends is only 10 years old. My SO is down to go, but I feel like I am dragging him sometimes as he never initiates camping. I have brought up the food over a fire, beer drinking argument, and had friends point out they can do that in a backyard without driving hour a couple of hours.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arkhamina posted:

Eh, 1 likes fishing, but claims he has camped enough with parents to last a lifetime.
Ask leading questions, maybe unearth some nostalgia

quote:

Another likes poking fires and cooking, but won't hike, doesn't like bugs.
Maybe car camping potential

quote:

Another few claim to suffer from outdoor insomnia - too weirded out by sounds and surroundings to sleep.
Get exhausted from hiking all day

quote:

2 more have a new baby, and others have toddlers.
Family outdoors time, memories of a lifetime, yay

quote:

Another has a legit fubar back and would seize into a solid brick of goon if forced to even air mattress sleep.
Hmmm, might be a no go

quote:

So yeah. Frustrating. I am an import to this state, so my bench of friends is only 10 years old. My SO is down to go, but I feel like I am dragging him sometimes as he never initiates camping. I have brought up the food over a fire, beer drinking argument, and had friends point out they can do that in a backyard without driving hour a couple of hours.
I've been guilty of pushing the SO too much, good that you're being sensitive. Friends though, push their asses Also make more camping friends

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Arkhamina posted:

Super looking forward to going camping again this year, as soon as it stops being sloppy and messy. I have been shopping for gear all winter long, largely just as something to do... I have way more gear than honestly my level of hardcore-ness merits. But maybe I will grow into it? It's a goal, anyhow.

Last year I had major abdominal surgery in January and April, so so I wasn't very fit for hiking or camping. 10lb lifting restrictions would have forced me into the super Ultra light camper class, and I am frankly more likely to want to bring a steel tripod and a cast iron dutch oven. Got a couple of solo trips in September and October, but that was it.

I am hoping to drag more friends out as own tents, out doors is social distance friendly, but I am definitely more into it than a lot of my friends. Took one hiking 8 miles a few years ago, and he still holds it against me. He's like 10 years younger! How was I to know he doesn't consider that a reasonable distance?

Any good motivation tips for prying friends off the couch, and into sleeping bags?

If you want friends to go outdoors with you and eventually return, you need to be careful in how you introduce them to getting out. Initial discussion on trip expectations are key even with experienced outdoor people. For inexperienced friends, ease them in. Build upon several positive experiences before your start pushing limits. You need to meet them where they're at vs them getting onto your level.

I've got a friend who is always looking for the most intense experience on every trip and it's not only annoying at times but irresponsible because taking unnecessary/avoidable risks increase the potential for injury in backcountry travel and puts the burden on the partner. Not saying this is you but just be cognizant of those behaviors. I too have friends I've introduced to backpacking and some hated it, others were mixed, others loved it. Lastly you can't convert everybody.

Keep in mind they may not share your same enthusiasm. It's not to say they can't get there eventually but it's not happened yet and sometimes they just won't. The best way to lose a hiking buddy is to make them feel like they can't keep up or don't belong. Some people might be intimidated by the outdoors for various reasons. Start small. Ease them into it. You might be in great shape because you've been hiking a lot so getting a newbie friend to come with you might scare them a bit because they're not ready for a 15 mile, 5000k vertical death march. Some people think it's funny to watch their friends struggle but it's not, it's a good way to break trust. Those kinds of people tend to push their friends too hard or encourage them to go beyond their comfort zone or skill level which can be dangerous. Someone will always try to prove themselves and injury is almost always soon to follow.

Consider getting hobby specific friends. I've got a few hobbies (dirt biking, hiking/backpacking/mountaineering, skiing, hockey, hunting) and some of them overlap which is nice but having friends specific to each increases the flexibility of planning. It's easier to go dirt biking or backpacking with friends who share the same enthusiasm for what you're doing.

Lastly, consider some lower risk solo trips. I've been hiking for a while but I only just started doing solo trips in the last few years. I thought I would be more anxious but it was actually way more enjoyable than I thought it would be. Just be safe about it, know where you're going, tell people where you're going, don't take stupid risks etc.

Look at local groups or online meetups if your friends are less than enthusiastic about getting out.

I feel you on the S/O thing. My wife enjoys hiking but tops out around 6-8 miles and isn't into suffering too terribly much. She wont camp. After ten years together I've barely made any progress on that front. She just has zero interest.

Verman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 6, 2021

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.

Fallen Rib

Totally get where you're coming from with that, but I don't think I am likely to be classed as any sort of extreme sports person. I'm a middle aged lady goon who is mostly kept in shape by two big dogs. I'm mostly friends with board gamers and computer gamers here, and to some of them, 2 miles is an long walk. I did a couple solo trips last fall, (social distancing!) - and it's nice, but I also crave people who want to see things, do things outdoors too.

That said, peeked over in the WI thread where I posted as well, and more goons are interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You sound like me

My 2 dogs are largely my exercise program, would love to get into camping more but all my friends are the turbo nerd types who don't really want to get away from board/video games or similar hobbies. I did go on a solo trip before the pandemic and the hiking during the day was really nice but just sitting around my tent all alone is really depressing tbh.