Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
we hiked a bit around De Soto yesterday (Nebraska side), picked up dinner from a greasy spoon in Missouri Valley (pop. of 3,000 - no one was wearing masks whoops!), and then drove to the even more middle of nowhere, pulled over on a gravel road, and kicked back with dinner and games until we could see the Neowise comet.

Used the Light Pollution Map app to find an area that was truly dark, and a 40x60 monocular to see it even at 10pm

it was pretty fun! but the kids were up waaaay past bedtime and have been absolute poo poo shows all day today :v:

also holy poo poo are the DeSoto trails overrun with invasive species. pokeweed, horsetail and tree of heaven loving everywhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sab669 posted:

Do any of you camp solo? What do you do for entertainment? I don't really have any "outdoorsy" friends, but I've been wanting to do more backpacking / primitive camping this year. But camping alone is depressingly boring :(

a few years ago we camped out in Sage Creek, SD which has room to pull up your car, but is very primitive and required enough gravel road that the bikers didn't camp there when we accidentally went during Sturgis

but who did show up were lots of single middle aged men, and this is what they, invariably, did:

pull up in the evening, get out a folding chair and watch football on their iPads. Then at dusk, they put cardboard on their headlights, start their trucks, and sleep in their cabs all night.

none of them seemed particularly happy, but anyway, that's what they did for entertainment. football on ipads.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Aardvark posted:

Last night went out to Anza Borrego Desert State Park to see the comet. Also the first time my wife has seen the Milky Way in person so that was neat.

It was still 95F at 11pm.

the comet is really cool! first time I've seen one since the 90s

was not expecting the little triangle it made

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Sab669 posted:

And sitting around staring at an iPad while camping seems like an odd thing to do, but who am I to judge I suppose.

*sotto voce-ishly* they are there for anonymous sex

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

PokeJoe posted:

camping w no fire during a burn ban just isn't the same. anyone got any camping life hacks to make it better

pocket rocket and make your own dried meals

basic idea with an example recipe:
https://www.msrgear.com/blog/homemade-backpacking-meals-just-add-water/

I'll say powdered peanut butter and freeze dried chicken are a bit pricey but go along way and are totally worth it