Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Ill have to dig up my old photos but this past weekend Mt. Rainier was gorgeous!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did some biking this weekend

And last

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Did some biking at Helen's

And a week later

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I love Montana

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Safety Dance posted:

My wife and I went out to Centralia, PA last weekend. It's a coal mining town that was abandoned in the 1960s when they managed to light the coal underground on fire. The coal will continue to burn for the next 150-200 years. A few people chose to stay, and their homes stand in stark contrast to the vacant lots around them. We didn't walk anywhere that explicitly said "No Tresspassing", or looked like it was somebody's property.

I love how you can see a wind farm from near the St. Ignatius Cemetery at the south edge of town.

Centralia used to be famous for it's "Graffiti Highway". It was a section of PA Route 61 that was too difficult to maintain due to the active fire beneath it, so Pennsylvania blocked it off and built a new Route 61 around it. People used to come here and graffiti up the street. Unfortunately, it was covered up by the company that owns the land, ostensibly because too many people were using the Graffiti Highway as a gathering place during the summer of last year.

Anyway, here's another graffiti'd up street, plus the volvo I rented.

Rainwater collects in the mines, and exits through this old ventilation shaft. It's now known as the Big Mine Run Geyser. Depending on how much rain has fallen, the geyser can get as high as 15 feet. It's located in a valley to the south of Centralia, at the end of Big Mine Run Rd.

Now that we're familiar with the area, we're planning another trip.

Be careful, I doubt the coal is close enough to the surface to be a huge risk but a big danger with the Oregon wildfires last year was the root systems catching fire and drying out the soil above them. You can think your walking on normal ground and then collapse through the baked earth and your legs are buried in a thousand+ degree oven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj6DWmXrb3M

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I love fall with the boys, larches are so cool

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

made a friend