Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frances Nurples
May 11, 2008

It works alright as i recall, but not as good as a quarter inch of foam and a half inch of air. You need several times the area of your ground cover worth of leaves, pine needles, etc to make it work, which can be hard to find. The mat was one of the first thigns i used to ditch for weight though tbh, to the point I basically never used it after a while so I'd consider it a luxury if you can spare the weight. I know people who swore by 3/4 length non-inflatable foam pads though, but those add around half a pound and that adds up quick. If you can get a light one (lighter = more expensive, generally) it's a huge improvement over sleeping on uneven, cold ground and whatever you managed to pile under your tarp.

All that being said, if you're in it for the long haul or doing 4 seasons camping, you probably want a full length pad and a decent, climate appropriate 4 season bag with a liner. When it's hot, you keep the bag stowed and sleep in the liner, when it's cool you use the bag as additional padding to snuggle up in.

Sleeping outside isn't going to approach your comfy indoors bed unless you are basically car camping so keep that in mind and don't bust your butt trying to meet unreasonable expectations. The lightest workable solution is almost always your best bet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU