Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Kylaer posted:

Things I need to add:
Compass
Medical kit - already got the supplies to make a basic one, as in my giveaway kits. May add trauma stuff or buy an off-the-shelf trauma first aid kit.
Dry bags, as were posted above
Insect repellent
Toothbrush and toothpaste
Clothing - one shirt, one pair of pants, two pairs of socks and two pairs of underwear, all extras of the same type I routinely wear. Probably will add a set of long underwear, a hat, and a pair of gloves when it gets cold.
Contractor trash bags - already have these, I'll wind them around the Nalgene just like in my giveaway kits.

Things I might add:
Multitool of some sort
Inflatable ground pad to sleep on - sleeping on the ground sounds very uncomfortable.
Some kind of small axe - probably not needed but, at heart, I want one.
Camp trowel
Crank-powered radio

Again, I'd welcome advice and feedback.

Lots of stuff here but Mora makes the best $20~ knives in the world, and while they're more expensive those Silky saws are the talk of the town on all woodcarving sites so I think your own advice has been pretty drat good so far.

For a ground pad, inflatable is as light as you're going to get and this one is nice

https://klymit.com/products/static-v-camping-sleeping-pad?variant=31735711105114

The Klymit pads, and the pillows (which I don't think are worth money since you've got an arm and an elbow and some of your clothes or anything in your bag works as a pillow) often go on half off sales on https://www.camofire.com but it's a daily deal overstock kind of website so just check it one minute a day and eventually they'll be on there

Regarding bivy bags, I've got an old USMC one that I've only slept in once so I'm no expert, but I didn't feel uncomfortable when I woke up, if it's humid people do say you'll want a makeshift frame (curved stick even) or put your pack or some clothes near your head so the breathing slit actually lets air in/out

The axe is the hardest part to decide on since no axe can do every job, but they can do a lot. Typically at the expense of dollars and weight on your back though. The best hatchet for the money is a Husqvarna 13", but since they switched distributors the heads got a lot heavier. Carbon steel, so don't leave it wet but you could cut down a 1-2 foot wide tree with these, I have it's just a real work out. Cheaper or cooler options depending on your taste do exist, get an old Kelly hatchet or name your old American steel of choice and give it a vinegar or cola bath and resharpen, you can find these at estates often unless you're in a city.

Compass is easy: Suunto clippers are $20 and still made in Finland but very easy to lose. Suunto MC-2s are on ebay for maybe $40 lately, highly respected brand since at least WWII. Make sure it's for the right hemisphere obviously

edit

The hatchet that Thunder Moose posted is probably around 40 or 50 bucks too (I think it's an Estwing), and while hickory handles are heavy, I'd bet the steel handle still adds another few pounds. If you're not planning to hike far and don't know how to replace a wooden haft, that's another good option. I avoid Fiskars hatchets even though they make good products, purely because I don't ever want to go from having an axe to having a thousand splinters of plastic handle and hoping the edge doesn't bounce into my ankle

extra stout fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rutibex posted:

once you reach galaxy brain level of hiker you realize that those ultra fancy packs are themselves weight you must carry on your back. the true best backpack is just a sac made of Cuban fiber with some straps on it
303 grams
https://zpacks.com/products/nero-backpack

vs

5.9 pounds
https://www.mysteryranch.com/terraframe-80-pack

This logic sort of works for some people, but there's no hip/waist transfer that actually works on that, it would rip if you put even a quarter of a deer in it, and ultimately if your goal is to carry up to 12 pounds of stuff for as cheap as possible, you should be making duct tape straps on a double lined trash bag

That Mystery Ranch 80 is 5.9 pounds but can carry 150, my own pack is under 4 pounds and can also carry more weight safely than I can actually hike a mile with, different strokes etc

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Rutibex posted:

:thunk:
what percentage of a deer should I be able to carry in my backpack?

It does sound like an absurd problem but if you're out west hunting elk alone, the difference between 2 trips and 4 trips could easily be you passing out from heat exhaustion or not. Or you having daylight left. Even in a very cold climate with much smaller game (white tail) I would not have dragged my first deer if it was much heavier, or if my car was even one mile further away