Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

While I don’t have any specific links to videos, research the power, draw, pry, and jstrokes. Canoeing is such an ancient thing that there are a ton of good resources out there and you won’t likely get fooled by bad information if you just watch some of the top results on youtube.
I bet the American Canoe Association has a decent series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
The important thing to know is that you are each introducing opposing, but not equal forces. Most people assume you are each paddling on opposite sides so you should mostly go straight. However, you have a lot more leverage in the back and that will cause the canoe to turn away from the side you are paddling on.
For example, if you are paddling on the right side, the canoe will start going left. This goes for front and rear which is why it's important that you paddle on opposite sides to balance those forces out a bit (both paddling on the right will push you pretty hard to the left). Maintaining a nice vertical stroke, keeping the blade of your paddle close to the canoe will reduce this drift. Lots of beginners hold the paddle on an angle causing the blade to enter the water further from the canoe which is going to push you further off course (not sure if this is common language but we have always called it "sweeping" your stroke).

So, assuming you're now both paddling at a nice evenly matched pace with decent technique, your boat will slowly drift opposite your stern paddler. How do you fix that without switching sides? The J Stroke, the pry or simply ruddering a bit at the end of your stroke.
J Stroke would be most proper for just keeping it straight as a pry is more of a turning tool and will slow you down quite a bit, and ruddering will reduce your cadence. The J Stroke and pry are both included in the following video as well as the draw stroke which is another good one.

https://youtu.be/dVUNzKkBE5o

Mini-FAQ:
1. "I'm having to J Stroke a lot. Too much."
-slow down! You're overpowering your partner. You will go faster and expend less energy if you aren't constantly performing corrective strokes.

2. "You lied. The canoe turns opposite my bow paddler!"
- Check your partner's form and make sure they aren't sweeping the water at a distance from the boat. If they are stronger or have a bigger paddle, get them to cool off!

3. "Okay we can sort of go straight. What next?"
- Practice and teach your partner the draw stroke. It's useful at both ends of the boat. Play some with your strokes to get a feel for the how they impact the boat. For example: you might want to sweep your strokes a bit, or even both paddle on the same side to overcome a wind or to initiate a bit of a turn without drawing or prying (which slow you down). Get comfortable with paddling backwards to stop, dock your canoe and manoeuvre in tight areas. Back paddling introduces opposite forces to going forwards so it's good to practice so that you can predict how your course will change when you do it.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arkhamina posted:

Rented a canoe at an outfitters on the Kickapoo River today. Heavy freaking tank of a plastic body, two beat to poo poo oars, $40. Realize now why - the water is so low, grinding against gravel was pretty regular. Had a good time and went about 8 miles, in 90F (31C) heat.

Would love links to any great YouTube resources on steering. I realize, almost all my canoe time is with experienced friends/family in back, and me playing the part of dumb muscle. We cut a fine figure, zig zagging like nuts, and ended up ramming a tree snag once, 'unhorsing' my boyfriend from his seat as we both used our oars to slow the crash. Thankfully, didn't dump, the tank kept tanking, and no one witnessed our comedy lack of skills.

(I assumed because his parents have a canoe, he would know how. Now he tells me, he never has actually been in one as an adult) "I have been in a rowboat" he says...

You need to know how to do a J-Stroke so you can paddle straight without having to switch sides.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wrh4bC2_Wc
Note, I tend to do a 'push' when I turn the paddle.

My wife wasn't much help when I went canoeing with her in Oregon a few years ago, but 7 years of summer camp and paddling Grumman canoe beasts was good training for me.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Arkhamina posted:

Rented a canoe at an outfitters on the Kickapoo River today. Heavy freaking tank of a plastic body, two beat to poo poo oars, $40. Realize now why - the water is so low, grinding against gravel was pretty regular. Had a good time and went about 8 miles, in 90F (31C) heat.

Would love links to any great YouTube resources on steering. I realize, almost all my canoe time is with experienced friends/family in back, and me playing the part of dumb muscle. We cut a fine figure, zig zagging like nuts, and ended up ramming a tree snag once, 'unhorsing' my boyfriend from his seat as we both used our oars to slow the crash. Thankfully, didn't dump, the tank kept tanking, and no one witnessed our comedy lack of skills.

(I assumed because his parents have a canoe, he would know how. Now he tells me, he never has actually been in one as an adult) "I have been in a rowboat" he says...

Check out videos from Bill Mason. YouTube has some, but the quality ones are at the NFB website.

https://www.nfb.ca/film/path_of_the_paddle_solo_basic/

He's like the Canadian Bob Ross of Canoeing. Kerchief not optional.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I almost capsized yesterday. I was on the middle of a bigass lake, my kayak was loaded with gear (everything for camping 3 days + rock climbing equipment, ropes and all) so I was pretty low, and there was heavy wind and waves. I took a quick break to stretch and lost my balance for a second, the side of the boat went under the water and a whole bunch of water rushed in.

Thankfully I was able to right myself relatively quickly and made it to an island to pump the water out. Closest call I've had so far. It would've been pretty bad with all the gear. Always be on your guard, wear your pfd and practice emergency measures.

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Thanks for the links, I will check them out. The J-stroke I know, but well I am not quite sure what he was doing in back.... We were zooming all over. I think I will stick him in front next time.

There is a lake rental place near us, and some remedial canoe time is going to happen before Boundary Waters in September.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Arkhamina posted:

Thanks for the links, I will check them out. The J-stroke I know, but well I am not quite sure what he was doing in back.... We were zooming all over. I think I will stick him in front next time.

There is a lake rental place near us, and some remedial canoe time is going to happen before Boundary Waters in September.

Yeah, the experienced paddler in the back works best.

(Darn, I need to find a good deal on a canoe)

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
Survived my intro to river kayaking course. Its interesting just hanging out upside down underwater just waiting for a t rescue.

My next question is about roof racks. I have a leased mazda 3, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a roof rack that I will just have to sell when my lease is up. Is something like https://www.amazon.ca/Rightline-Gear-100K10-Block-Carrier/dp/B07YN33SX7 decent, or just a recipe for disaster?

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I would be concerned about paint damage on a lease, maybe look into fb groups (especially local whitewater ones) and see if anyone is selling used racks? They pop up regularly out here. Alternatively buy new racks and sell when the car is gone. Double alternative is that the towers are often replaceable for less than the whole setup and new towers might be all you need to get old bars onto new car.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Demon_Corsair posted:

Survived my intro to river kayaking course. Its interesting just hanging out upside down underwater just waiting for a t rescue.

My next question is about roof racks. I have a leased mazda 3, so I don't want to spend a ton of cash on a roof rack that I will just have to sell when my lease is up. Is something like https://www.amazon.ca/Rightline-Gear-100K10-Block-Carrier/dp/B07YN33SX7 decent, or just a recipe for disaster?

There is a massive roof rack shortage. I've been waiting on a few different Yakima racks to come in stock for months now and no luck.

I have a J rack that I don't like using since it's hard for me to get the kayak onto it. I really want a flat one with cradles and I have a discount code for Yakima so I'm trying to hold out for them and not spend $300 (more than what my kayak is worth) for a rack.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jun 9, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Pennywise the Frown posted:

There is a massive roof rack shortage. I've been waiting on a few different Yakima racks to come in stock for months now and no luck.

I have a J rack that I don't like using since it's hard for me to get the kayak onto it. I really want a flat one with cradles and I have a discount code for Yakima so I'm trying to hold out for them and not spend $300 (more than what my kayak is worth) for a rack.

I’ve been wanting to replace my 40$ no name amazon roof rack with a proper Yakima or Thule cross bar on my Jeep Patriot, but kept putting it off and now can’t get anything. I’m a bit paranoid now, because I’ve got a six hour freeway trip coming up to pick up a new kayak down in Tennessee.

I’ve got ratcheting bow and stern tie downs and ratcheting NRS straps, and the plan was to put a pool noodle over the bars and ratchet down on those in the front and back. Is there anything extra I should be doing? A few years ago the bars held two kayaks on J hooks for a two hour trip, but I’m worried UV exposure may have degraded the plastic clamps and it might fail and just want to do whatever I can to make sure that doesn’t happen.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
Classic kayak tiedown (whitewater anyways) is boats on the bars (upside down to protect hull from dents) with cam straps up and over and through a tiedown point or similar. Long drives it's not a bad idea (and legally required sometimes) to do bow and Stern tethers to something on the frame of the car, which certainly adds peace of mind if you don't trust your rack.

Careful with ratchet straps, they can get tight enough to damage boats, usually a cam strap is all you need.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I have a rack with Subaru "Aero Bars" going across my roof horizontally so if I really wanted I could just throw it up on there upside down and ratchet the hell out of it and it probably wouldn't go anywhere. However, I appear to be a moron because I tried two different ratchets just now (I'm going kayaking for the first time this year today :)) and can't get them to work. They both can't ratchet down to far. I have like 10 feet of cord left before the roll is filled up too far and it just clogs/stops.

Luckily I have the tie downs both of my racks came with. The Subaru ones failed on me on a SUPER windy day and my kayak almost flew off but I was able to pull off the road. However I also have the Yakima ones which are the same style. So I used both of them, 4 tie downs.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I have a rack with Subaru "Aero Bars" going across my roof horizontally so if I really wanted I could just throw it up on there upside down and ratchet the hell out of it and it probably wouldn't go anywhere. However, I appear to be a moron because I tried two different ratchets just now (I'm going kayaking for the first time this year today :)) and can't get them to work. They both can't ratchet down to far. I have like 10 feet of cord left before the roll is filled up too far and it just clogs/stops.

Luckily I have the tie downs both of my racks came with. The Subaru ones failed on me on a SUPER windy day and my kayak almost flew off but I was able to pull off the road. However I also have the Yakima ones which are the same style. So I used both of them, 4 tie downs.

With a ratchet strap, start with the ratchet mechanism as loose as possible. Then pull the loose end of the strap through the ratchet mechanism. You should get the strap kinda tightish before you start ratcheting. The ratchet mechanism is just to take up the last few inches of material.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm here to preach the gospel of cam straps and roller cams in particular

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
You absolutely can securely mount a kayak or canoe using just the foamies on the roof of your car. I did it for years and if you're doing it properly, it will not go anywhere. I would just get proper blocks designed for the application and not use pool noodles or whatever. Get two 12-14ft straps and loop them through your door frames. Bing Bang boom

That said, a rack is way way better to deal with. The nature of the blocks and the way you need to compress them to get appropriate tension means you will occasionally need to pull over and re-tension everything... Especially if it's wet out.

I recommend bow and stern tie downs, especially on the front of the car. Don't buy straps for these. Just get some 550 paracord and Google how to tie a Trucker's hitch. They sell tie down loops that you screw down onto engine mounts and stick up under your hood, but again you can use some paracord to achieve the same results. Both will save your hood and grille from abrasion. You need 2 tie downs one on each corner of your hood, and 2 cords to properly secure it. V straps aren't really optimal (and are expensive).
I'm speaking from the experience of securing 16-18ft craft where there's a lot of nose and tail sticking out beyond my straps. Someone with a 10ft recreational kayak might be able to get away without them.

Lastly, ratchet straps work fine. You just have to be extremely aware of the leverage you have using them, and how easy it is to crumple your hull. The tension on the strap is the only measure you should use to determine tightness, and not try to get the ratcheting "hand tight". I personally prefer them because cam straps tend to wear out when they tightened down to the same spot over and over and I don't have to reef on anything.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Safety Dance posted:

With a ratchet strap, start with the ratchet mechanism as loose as possible. Then pull the loose end of the strap through the ratchet mechanism. You should get the strap kinda tightish before you start ratcheting. The ratchet mechanism is just to take up the last few inches of material.

I see. I was putting the very end of the strap in there and ratcheting it all the way. I'll try that next time!

I went kayaking with a Meetup.com group and it was nice. Just on a calm lake for about 1.5 hours. The youngest one was a pediatrician about 5+ years older than me and the rest were 20+. It was still fun.

Pennywise the Frown fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jun 10, 2021

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm here to preach the gospel of cam straps and roller cams in particular

Oh yeah, I probably should clarify, that’s exactly what I bought. These NRS cam straps with the cushioning around the buckle.

Math You posted:

You absolutely can securely mount a kayak or canoe using just the foamies on the roof of your car. I did it for years and if you're doing it properly, it will not go anywhere. I would just get proper blocks designed for the application and not use pool noodles or whatever. Get two 12-14ft straps and loop them through your door frames. Bing Bang boom

Just to clarify, my thought was to use pool noodles cut and slipped over the rails, so there’s foam to prevent denting and scratching from the aluminum cross bar when I heave the kayak up top and strap it down. But it actually looks like Cargoloc makes velcro and uv resistant foam crossbar pads for 15$, so l’ll just buy those instead.

I also have ratcheting bow and stern tie downs, which I have used with borrowed J hooks before. I’m just worried about the rack itself failing on the freeway since it’s a 40$ amazon cargolock thing and not a proper thule or yakima rack. But those are impossible to find right now, so here’s hoping what I have is good enough!

It’s just new boat and long trip anxiety…. My nightmare scenario is one of the clamps failing and a brand new thousand dollar kayak I had to drive three states over to buy flying off into the freeway.

Knowing the bow and stern tie downs are a good backup solution that’ll let me know if something is wrong and give me a minute to pull off the road is all I wanted to know!

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I use these

in my hood and trunk to create anchor points and these ratchet ropes

to tie down the bow and the stern. Along with cam straps and J-bars on my rack, I never feel like my kayak can move at all.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

OSU_Matthew posted:

Oh yeah, I probably should clarify, that’s exactly what I bought. These NRS cam straps with the cushioning around the buckle.

Just to clarify, my thought was to use pool noodles cut and slipped over the rails, so there’s foam to prevent denting and scratching from the aluminum cross bar when I heave the kayak up top and strap it down. But it actually looks like Cargoloc makes velcro and uv resistant foam crossbar pads for 15$, so l’ll just buy those instead.

I also have ratcheting bow and stern tie downs, which I have used with borrowed J hooks before. I’m just worried about the rack itself failing on the freeway since it’s a 40$ amazon cargolock thing and not a proper thule or yakima rack. But those are impossible to find right now, so here’s hoping what I have is good enough!

It’s just new boat and long trip anxiety…. My nightmare scenario is one of the clamps failing and a brand new thousand dollar kayak I had to drive three states over to buy flying off into the freeway.

Knowing the bow and stern tie downs are a good backup solution that’ll let me know if something is wrong and give me a minute to pull off the road is all I wanted to know!

I would honestly prefer to get kayak specific foamies or something than to use cheap crossbars. Will there be more play? Yeah. But I know that the attachment points are not going to fail.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-reviews/R164T1INR2QAU3/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GA2HKAU

Seems unlikely to happen (most reviews are positive or mixed relating to long term durability), but I wouldn't want to risk it..

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Colonel J posted:

I use these

to tie down the bow and the stern. Along with cam straps and J-bars on my rack, I never feel like my kayak can move at all.

For the ratchet ropes, do you use two or four?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

theflyingexecutive posted:

For the ratchet ropes, do you use two or four?

One in the front, one in the back, so 2.

OSU_Matthew posted:

If you're REALLY paranoid you can run a strap around the boat and into your car, you'll get redundancy in case the rack fails. Hope your car stereo is loud though.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 10, 2021

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
A half or full twist in the straps where they are bridging between boat and rack will usually cut vibrations and wind noise massively, if they run flat they'll vibrate and make noise.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Colonel J posted:

One in the front, one in the back, so 2.

If you're REALLY paranoid you can run a strap around the boat and into your car, you'll get redundancy in case the rack fails. Hope your car stereo is loud though.

Twist the strap to stop the flap! Put two twists in the strap below the hull and above the door frame before tightening down and it will stop the dreaded hum.

Again, ideally you want two straps in the front, as they are meant to prevent the nose from being lifted as well as lateral movement. It's probably only really necessary for longer boats, but it's technically best practice.

I cannot recommend enough that people learn how to tie the truckers' hitch. With a couple bucks worth of cord, you can create perfect length lines for the front and back dependant on the location of your tie down points. It's super flexible and you'll find a million ways to use it when camping if you do that. Best of all, it's dead simple to learn. If you can tie your shoes you can do a truckers' hitch.

https://youtu.be/W86XNUmElP4

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Math You posted:

Twist the strap to stop the flap! Put two twists in the strap below the hull and above the door frame before tightening down and it will stop the dreaded hum.

Again, ideally you want two straps in the front, as they are meant to prevent the nose from being lifted as well as lateral movement. It's probably only really necessary for longer boats, but it's technically best practice.

I cannot recommend enough that people learn how to tie the truckers' hitch. With a couple bucks worth of cord, you can create perfect length lines for the front and back dependant on the location of your tie down points. It's super flexible and you'll find a million ways to use it when camping if you do that. Best of all, it's dead simple to learn. If you can tie your shoes you can do a truckers' hitch.

https://youtu.be/W86XNUmElP4

Trucker's hitch is also very necessary for tying up heavier boats by the painter line. My coworkers get sick of me coming behind them and untying their stupid slipknots and poo poo that tighten to the point that they can't be untied and the line is weakened and a hazard. Don't ever use knots in your boat lines, hitches only. Or knots that are easily untied, like a bowline or something on a bight.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

Just to clarify, my thought was to use pool noodles cut and slipped over the rails, so there’s foam to prevent denting and scratching from the aluminum cross bar when I heave the kayak up top and strap it down.

I've been doing the pool noodle thing with my Trailblazer and it's worked with both my plastic kayak and wood pirogue just fine.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Math You posted:

Wait, the straps are the things causing the eerie, ghostly whistle/hum? This whole time I was thinking it was the open cargo hatch on the kayak doing that. :aaaaa:

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

pseudorandom posted:

Wait, the straps are the things causing the eerie, ghostly whistle/hum? This whole time I was thinking it was the open cargo hatch on the kayak doing that. :aaaaa:

Strap flap is a very distinctive (violent) noise and I find is most prone to happen when you go through the car. If the strap is nice and flush to your boat and bars it's less likely to happen.

Your description sounds different. Watch this and you'll be able to tell in about 5 seconds if that's what you are experiencing.

https://youtu.be/eIFi_jTvo68

That's a pretty good demonstration of how it sounds and how much a simple twist corrects it.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
My strap flap sounded like a buzzing noise.

I only ever encountered it on my old Mazda, where I put the middle strap inside the front doors, around the B pillar and outside the back doors. I usually remedied it by wrapping a bit of electrical tape between the strap runs on the passenger side.

Never had it happen on my Corolla. I'd strap it the same way but around the roof rack bars rather than the B pillars.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I've been doing the pool noodle thing with my Trailblazer and it's worked with both my plastic kayak and wood pirogue just fine.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Math You posted:

Strap flap is a very distinctive (violent) noise and I find is most prone to happen when you go through the car. If the strap is nice and flush to your boat and bars it's less likely to happen.

Your description sounds different. Watch this and you'll be able to tell in about 5 seconds if that's what you are experiencing.

https://youtu.be/eIFi_jTvo68

That's a pretty good demonstration of how it sounds and how much a simple twist corrects it.

Hmmm, its similar, but not as deep. It might be because the straps are shorter, only the width of the kayak; or, it might still be the open hole in the kayak itself. Mine sounds a bit more like the sound you make if you blow over the top of a soda bottle, which I guess might suggest it's the latter case.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
is this a good kayak?

https://www.frugalhotspot.com/2021/03/costco-pelican-mission-100-kayak/

I might go buy a kayak tomorrow but I dont want to buy it if it is a bad one.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nooner posted:

is this a good kayak?

Pelican is not known for great boats, but they’ll do.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Nooner posted:

is this a good kayak?

$299 is a hella deal.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Nooner posted:

is this a good kayak?

What's makes a "good" kayak has a lot to do with what you intend to do with it. Fishing, crossing big lakes or hitting the ocean, going down rivers.. You're going to have multiple hull shapes, lengths and materials that are specialized for those purposes. Inside of those you are going to have more variety with models favouring speed, weight, capacity, stability, durability, attachment points for accessories, etc.

This is a 10 foot recreational kayak. A cottage cruiser. It's not really specialized to do anything but be cheap.
But guess what? You can fish in it. You can cross lakes on it, you can take it down river. Maybe don't hit rapids or take it on the ocean, but you can still do a lot of things with it even if it's not ideal.

To me, it seems like a good start, and it might even fulfill your needs long term depending what you're gonna do with it.

Bonus is it appears to be 40lbs so it'll be nice and easy to get up on your roof. Some of the cheaper ones I've seen have been total pigs. When I worked retail around 10 years ago we had these orange sit on tops I'd give myself a goddamn hernia moving.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Math You posted:

I would honestly prefer to get kayak specific foamies or something than to use cheap crossbars. Will there be more play? Yeah. But I know that the attachment points are not going to fail.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/customer-reviews/R164T1INR2QAU3/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00GA2HKAU

Seems unlikely to happen (most reviews are positive or mixed relating to long term durability), but I wouldn't want to risk it..

Oh hey, whatchu know, my very specific nightmare! Good to know I’m not imagining things lol

Colonel J posted:

I use these

I think this is literally the exact same kit I got lol. Last time I used ratcheting straps on the trailer hitch and found an anchor point to the frame in the front. For whatever stupid reason the front towing hooks on the jeep patriot are super specialized and expensive, and you have to dremel out some of the bumper (same as installing the trailer hitch). I am curious to try the hood anchor strap and see how the works though!

The rack did hold two kayaks on j hooks before, so hopefully I should be fine. I’ll just run an extra strap or two around the top rails and hang some lucky fuzzy dice from the mirror

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Math You posted:

What's makes a "good" kayak has a lot to do with what you intend to do with it. Fishing, crossing big lakes or hitting the ocean, going down rivers.. You're going to have multiple hull shapes, lengths and materials that are specialized for those purposes. Inside of those you are going to have more variety with models favouring speed, weight, capacity, stability, durability, attachment points for accessories, etc.

This is a 10 foot recreational kayak. A cottage cruiser. It's not really specialized to do anything but be cheap.
But guess what? You can fish in it. You can cross lakes on it, you can take it down river. Maybe don't hit rapids or take it on the ocean, but you can still do a lot of things with it even if it's not ideal.

To me, it seems like a good start, and it might even fulfill your needs long term depending what you're gonna do with it.

Bonus is it appears to be 40lbs so it'll be nice and easy to get up on your roof. Some of the cheaper ones I've seen have been total pigs. When I worked retail around 10 years ago we had these orange sit on tops I'd give myself a goddamn hernia moving.

Good info, thank you! Just intending to fucks around on lakes at this point, wife and I have only gone once before when we borrowed some, but we moved up to an area where lakes are a lot more accessible so looking to kinda get into it more so "not really specialized to do anything but be cheap" sounds perfect, haha

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
kayaks are fun

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

kayaks are fun

What class? It looks really hardcore from the perspective of the photographer! Even a couple sweepers to watch out for there..

Guy upthread, don't do this with your pelican kayak

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
4ish, Cooper river in Washington state. None of the rapids are that hard but they're all stacked up in a pretty committed canyon so it feels a little more intense.