Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

its all nice on rice posted:

It's going to be mostly one to three day lake trips for boat in camping. The places we like to go are up in the mountains and tend to get very windy and rough during the day.
We're good at setting out early enough to avoid rough water. There's always a chance we run into it, though, especially if we have to portage from one lake to another or wait for the ranger station to open for permits.

For that kind of tripping I really love my modified otter tail paddle. It's a traditional otter tail shape but flairs up towards the shaft. I find it's nice to splay my fingers over the top of the blade when the going is easy and if you really need to move, you can choke up your grip and put the whole thing in the water.

You could always use a paddle you pointed out but it's mostly designed for river travel where you need to make very powerful steering strokes in what is often not very deep water. They move a lot of water per stroke without needing to be very far below the surface.

As I noted, for lake tripping otter and beaver tail variants are most popular. They are longer and more narrow meaning they penetrate through the more turbulent water at the surface, (supposedly) giving you a better stroke in rough water, and otherwise offer less resistance per stroke. For crossing big lakes it can make a big difference in fatigue.

Edit: pommel shape is another big thing to consider. More river oriented paddles (like the one you pointed out) will have T shaped pommels which offer lots of grip but aren't necessarily comfortable to hold for 10,000 strokes. Lake trippers will often have them designed to rest in your palm. Once I've chosen a shape I usually decide on a paddle by comparing how comfortable they are to grip.

Math You fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Oh.. where you sit can influence your choice as well. If you spend all your time sitting up in the front you should absolutely get a bent shaft paddle because the biggest drawback to them is they are a bit more fiddly for finesse moves that you're most often going to be doing in the back.

Again, I find my modified otter tail does well at both.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I use a Harmony Shadow, it’s a straight shaft rounded square, not quite round enough to be a beavertail. The pommel is fat and wide, shaft is off round. It’s a little heavy but still a breeze to use in the stern. Plus it’s pretty. The Shadow is discontinued, but Harmony, Bending Branches, and Sawyer make nice affordable wood canoe paddles.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Thanks for all the info. Definitely going to try out some paddles in hand before getting a new one after the knowledge that's been imparted here.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I went kayaking for the technically 2nd time today. The first time was a tandem in the Gulf about 13 years ago and it was just ok. Today my friends and I rented kayaks for a 4 mile trip and it was AWESOME. I don't know if it was the vitamin D kick from finally getting outside after years on night shift and seeing the sun and nature or what, but I immediately wanted more.

What I'm stuck on is how do you buy and get someone to install roof racks? I don't want to install it myself and I have no tools. What do I do? I'm pretty confident I could find a kayak that works for me and store it but how the hell do I get it on my car??

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

empty sea posted:

I went kayaking for the technically 2nd time today. The first time was a tandem in the Gulf about 13 years ago and it was just ok. Today my friends and I rented kayaks for a 4 mile trip and it was AWESOME. I don't know if it was the vitamin D kick from finally getting outside after years on night shift and seeing the sun and nature or what, but I immediately wanted more.

What I'm stuck on is how do you buy and get someone to install roof racks? I don't want to install it myself and I have no tools. What do I do? I'm pretty confident I could find a kayak that works for me and store it but how the hell do I get it on my car??

I just use straps and foam. if you set them tight and right they're safe and quick.

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

empty sea posted:

Some roof racks just clamp on with tension rather than screwing through the roof. Go check out a 3rd party site like rack attack to see all the options for your vehicle.

We just got a new car that can't accept roof racks (pano sun roof) so I gotta buy a drat trailer.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Go to the rack attack website and enter your car. It'll tell you exactly what you need to order and for most setups there's no tools required for installation.

If you get something like Thule Evo Wing Bars you should just install them yourself. Even if you have them installed "professionally", you will go through 90 percent of the process the first time you take them off which is something you should be doing if you take a longer trip where the rack isn't required, and the other 10 percent is pretty simple. The "professional" installers might even do something dumb like cut the rubber trim too short causing a whistle.. You know, HYPOTHETICALLY. :airquote:

Seriously though, the first time I put them on I spent 2hrs cursing, then actually read the (half page) instructions and measured carefully and was done in 30 min. I can now put them on in about 5.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Luvcow posted:

I just use straps and foam. if you set them tight and right they're safe and quick.

I've hauled a very large Nucanoe from Chicago to Florida and back twice with nothing more than Sea to Summit soft racks a cut up pool noodle, paracord and some camlock straps. 70 MPH highway driving on the top of a Tacoma with bed cover and zero issues. Hard to see the soft racks but they're over the cab. It works, but the boat is heavy and I have to take all the accessories off of it to get it on there. If I don't buy a real boat soon I may just find a jet ski trailer or something to pull it on so I can keep it rigged.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

my new place is a ten minute walk from a kayak rental joint so im getting a membership. they have solo and tandem canoes and kayaks and whatever the gently caress an outrigger is. i fell in love with the pedal kayak i used last summer but theyre $$$$ and in the mean time id like to level up my watercraft skills

place opens at 8am and i have plenty of morning availability. are there drills or exercises i should be doing to improve my skillset? i only came to tiny boats last year after not touching them since i was a kid. im self teaching so how do i figure out bad habits?

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Casual Encountess posted:

place opens at 8am and i have plenty of morning availability. are there drills or exercises i should be doing to improve my skillset? i only came to tiny boats last year after not touching them since i was a kid. im self teaching so how do i figure out bad habits?

I don't have much to say regarding paddling, but I'm a big fan of practicing capsizing and re-entry to gain confidence on the water.
It's a lot of fun to stay close to the shore and just mess around with the boat, not caring if you fill it up with water.

lowcrabdiet
Jun 28, 2004
I'm not Steve Nash.
College Slice

my new place is a ten minute walk from a kayak rental joint so im getting a membership. they have solo and tandem canoes and kayaks and whatever the gently caress an outrigger is. i fell in love with the pedal kayak i used last summer but theyre $$$$ and in the mean time id like to level up my watercraft skills

Just curious where you live that has an outrigger (canoe?) for rent. Outrigger canoes are usually made for the ocean and is one of the official state sports of Hawaii

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

boston is extremely ocean, yes.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Anybody got recommendations for a sit in day-use kayak? I’m in Michigan, so it would primarily be river and inland lake use, though calmer days on the Great Lakes shoreline are certainly a possibility.

Price would be up to $1k, and ideally would be light enough to portage a bunch. Primary consideration is seat comfort. I’m 6’0” and 200 lbs, so on the larger side of things. Secondary consideration is cup holder location: I hate crotch cup holders. I know this can be modified later, but it would be cool to not have to muck about.

If you’ve got Recs that fall outside my price range, I’d love to hear those too.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anybody got recommendations for a sit in day-use kayak? I’m in Michigan, so it would primarily be river and inland lake use, though calmer days on the Great Lakes shoreline are certainly a possibility.

Price would be up to $1k, and ideally would be light enough to portage a bunch. Primary consideration is seat comfort. I’m 6’0” and 200 lbs, so on the larger side of things. Secondary consideration is cup holder location: I hate crotch cup holders. I know this can be modified later, but it would be cool to not have to muck about.

If you’ve got Recs that fall outside my price range, I’d love to hear those too.

native watercraft ultimate 12

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im assuming the logistics of a kayak mean i need to buy locally, but besides craigslist/fb marketplace and rei, who else has a good selection?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
"One stop shop" type stores usually have some basic ones. Fred Meyer always has a few, as does Walmart. Larger sporting goods stores like Dick's tend to.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

im assuming the logistics of a kayak mean i need to buy locally, but besides craigslist/fb marketplace and rei, who else has a good selection?

I think you're a Bostonian so I'd recommend billington sea kayak in Plymouth. They're great and they let you test the boats out on site

http://billingtonseakayak.com

though it's worth checking with places that rent them out because sometimes they sell their old boats to make room for newer ones

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Luvcow posted:

I think you're a Bostonian so I'd recommend billington sea kayak in Plymouth. They're great and they let you test the boats out on site

http://billingtonseakayak.com

though it's worth checking with places that rent them out because sometimes they sell their old boats to make room for newer ones

sick. yeah im looking to eventually track down a used pedal kayak but i know thatll be an all season trawl.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

sick. yeah im looking to eventually track down a used pedal kayak but i know thatll be an all season trawl.

a little closer is gone bananas

http://bananasinc.com

but in my experience they don't know as much as the billington sea kayak guy

good luck on your search

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

like paddling is cool and all but not paddling at all is also cool+good and as a pro cyclist its basically free propulsion for me.

i got a long road to there so this whole summer i wanna work on my paddling skills

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

I sold my truck, and my new car can't take roof racks. Gonna have to figure out how to build a kayak trailer. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Current plan is to get a utility trailer and attach some horizontals I can put j-cradles or something on.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im actually stoked to figure out how to tow a kayak on my bicycle

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Citizen Z posted:

I sold my truck, and my new car can't take roof racks. Gonna have to figure out how to build a kayak trailer. If anyone has suggestions, I'm listening.

Current plan is to get a utility trailer and attach some horizontals I can put j-cradles or something on.

Foam blocks and NRS straps.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

im actually stoked to figure out how to tow a kayak on my bicycle

if you're ever on the south shore on a Friday or Saturday I can show around the tidal rivers and ponds here, kayaking is what I live through the winter for

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

this

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I worry about the weight of 2 kayaks on one of those panoramic sunroofs.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Citizen Z posted:

I worry about the weight of 2 kayaks on one of those panoramic sunroofs.

What car?

Does Yakima or thule have anything available?

Citizen Z
Jul 13, 2009

~Hanzo Steel~

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

What car?

Does Yakima or thule have anything available?

They don't. It's a Kia EV6, but it has the panoramic sunroof. You can put a rack on the ones without it, but not with it. The towers would put pressing on the glass.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

Luvcow posted:

if you're ever on the south shore on a Friday or Saturday I can show around the tidal rivers and ponds here, kayaking is what I live through the winter for

i might hit you up later in the summer once i level up from “rear end in a top hat on a boat”

like my summer goal is to get good enough to take an ocean kayaking class. because that poo poo sounds fun

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

EDIT: Wait never mind I've already asked about this.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

went out on the kayak and ran into a dragon boat festival. oops.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

I have a canoe transportation question. I have a very generic sedan and transporting it is tough because there are no good tie down points in the front or back. Yesterday I tried using generic hood and trunk loops (with the little nylon loops sticking out of rubber cylinders) and none of them managed to stay secured in the hood or trunk. Is there a brand that has loops with bigger/sturdier/more reliable anchors?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
For the front all you need is a bit of cord that you can tie around a couple engine bay mount points. Like 30c of paracord will work just as well as whatever pair of straps you would otherwise buy.

Alternatively you can buy similar straps with eyelets that you bolt to the same points (remove engine bay bolt, put strap over, reinstall bolt).

For the back, having a hitch is a big help and I've never thought too much about it.. I'd think you could similarly tie some cord around the hinges of the trunk.. The latch might work too. Create a loop, put it around the latch and close the trunk. PITA if you need to open it later though!

Edit:
https://youtu.be/kbScWyAUxC4
Like this. As mentioned, you can buy straps purpose made for what the guy does in the video. I tied down some paracord in similar locations.

Math You fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 14, 2022

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
On one of my old cars I had a tie down on one side but not the other

I went to an exhaust shop showed them what I wanted and they welded a loop of exhaust hanger which was about a half inch diameter round bar curled in to a loop on the other side.

Cost me about 30 bucks.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
On my Buick I made up some strap loops and used the fender bolts to hold them down. Just pop the hood and flip them out and you can hide them when not needed. For the rear I put the ball mount in and used that. Works great for the canoe but I haven't found a good way to move the kayak other than throwing it inside the burban, it's too heavy to get on the roof rack by myself.

For a pedal system Hobie makes a great one, the price was kinda hard to get over but I wanted something I'd enjoy using. I didn't want to make the mistake of getting one I wouldn't use again.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

SpeedFreek posted:

On my Buick I made up some strap loops and used the fender bolts to hold them down. Just pop the hood and flip them out and you can hide them when not needed. For the rear I put the ball mount in and used that. Works great for the canoe but I haven't found a good way to move the kayak other than throwing it inside the burban, it's too heavy to get on the roof rack by myself.

For a pedal system Hobie makes a great one, the price was kinda hard to get over but I wanted something I'd enjoy using. I didn't want to make the mistake of getting one I wouldn't use again.

for heavier boats i lay the boat against the roof perpendicular to the car with a towel under it to hopefully prevent scratching and then pick up the rear from the ground and slowly walk it towards the back of the car until its on the top where you can adjust it forward if needed. then i stick my foam pads underneath and pull the towel out, apply the straps etc.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel

Luvcow posted:

for heavier boats i lay the boat against the roof perpendicular to the car with a towel under it to hopefully prevent scratching and then pick up the rear from the ground and slowly walk it towards the back of the car until its on the top where you can adjust it forward if needed. then i stick my foam pads underneath and pull the towel out, apply the straps etc.

They do also make loading appliances for this method. I'm sure they ain't cheap but they look pretty neat in action. Takes the guesswork out of it if you are really concerned about scratching your vehicle.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!
I've seen the ones that go in the hitch receiver for supporting lumber or other longer loads, then it's just a matter of attaching a roller from a boat trailer to help with loading. The towel method is a lot cheaper.

The Hobie is too heavy for any of the side load assist racks I've seen but they look like the easiest load assist method out there. Easiest method still is a flatbed trailer but it looks a little funny using a gigantic equipment trailer to move a tiny 12 ft kayak.

I'll work on getting a picture of the straps I installed on the Buick for holding the front down, it worked very well for something non damaging or permanent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Anybody have any advice or ideas for a good way to mount a phone (in waterproof case of course) on a paddleboard to record video during a trip? Can't bring myself to pay for a GoPro yet.