Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

That thing owns.
It's probably unfounded since I've never messed with rib and skin boats at all, but the idea of taking that in the ocean in Alaska just terrifies me. Still very cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Doing it in plastic boats terrified me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Welp, got a Dagger Stratos 12.5L and my partner got a Hurricane Prima 125.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

gently caress yeah, I love new boat day so much. That's awesome, post pictures of your paddling.
Rutabaga is a good name for an outdoor store.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

Welp, got a Dagger Stratos 12.5L and my partner got a Hurricane Prima 125.

Those colors are awesome!

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I was pretty stoked with the colorway on the Stratos. It is so much fun than the super sun faded plain blue one I upgraded from.

Nothing super cool yet, but I got the inaugural paddle in. Also my first roll and first time using a bilge pump. The cockpit is super snug from the smaller opening and hip/thigh pads that exiting is tougher than I thought it would be. I tried pushing myself up and out and swung my leg over to plant on the lake bottom, but apparently the left side of the kayak was a very drastic drop off to like 4ft, so I went rear end over teakettle and rolled the thing. :negative:

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

somebody gave me this 16’ fiberglass canoe for free today. i live a quarter mile from a cool river and i had a membership at the kayak/canoe rental place last year but this means now i can do some sunrise canoeing instead of having to wait till 10:30a to do it. no hull damage, barely any scratches

so where should i get stuff to trick this bb out? last time i was in here people recommended the nrs ninja pfds so i was gonna grab those but what kinda dumb poo poo can i slap onto this? i was gonna get a lil cart to help pull it down to the river. what about storage? i wanna be able to throw a rack of beers in and a fishing rod or two. do they make lil clampons for the rails so i can have a spot to stow the paddles and poo poo?

also paddles: i think i only have rei locally. i dont need nice poo poo, this is “drink/smoke weed on the river” vessel but is it worth getting wooden paddles?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
First of all, you'll need a bailer, throw rope, whistle, etc. I really like the North Water 4 bailer.

Wooden paddles just feel nice. For the stern paddler the blade shape can also make feathering, Canadian strokes and such more enjoyable.

As for how you can "trick out" the canoe.. tension straps like clutch straps would secure your paddles for you. If you're going to be fishing from it definitely get a rod holder (there's 1" rail adapters that should fit on your thwarts, as well as adapters for gunwales).
Lastly there are canoe seats that snap on top and give a bit more cushion + back support. I don't care for them but the Mrs. won't ride without one.

Generally I don't think there's a big addon market for canoes unless you want to throw on a spray deck or something crazy.
Edit: I'd definitely put a yoke on it unless it's like 100lbs and then yeah just cart it

Math You fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 31, 2023

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

yeah my friend has crazy carbon offset paddles that whip but i dont think i need expensive paddles yet. as for tricking it out you mostly covered it. im mostly scheming about adding lights for night cruising like a comical amount so i dont get murdered by drunks in speedboats and how to fly a small flag because i think it would be cute and funny

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Clean it up, wax it. You might can find some web seats to replace those with, or build some if you're handy.

Bending Branches and Harmony both make nice wooden paddles that aren't too expensive. A decent wooden paddle just feels nice.

I've recommended the NRS Ninja in here a bunch, still love mine. Epitope just posted a picture up thread of themself wearing one. They're over the head only, no zipper down the front, so not the best solution for frequent off and on. But super adjustable, so you can easily get it on over bulky winter layers. Try some on in a store, try to find last year model clearances.

Some kind of flotation for the boat is nice. It doesn't take a whole lot, just a big foam block in each end, about 5 gal in volume, to make a swamped boat neutrally buoyant. I haven't had to deal with it since Boy Scouts, but you can paddle a completely swamped aluminum canoe if it has bow and stern floats. Not necessary, but if you're just looking for something to tinker with that has a use, that's a good one.

Go to Home Depot and get 50-75' of good woven synthetic rope for a bowline. You could buy actual bow line, but this sounds like a dirtbag boat so as long as it's not gonna rot you're good. 3/4" diameter is nice to get a grip on. Throw bags are handy too, but take care of it, keep it dry, keep it out of the sun when youre not paddling. The NRS Compact is a good one.

For a bailer, just get a gallon jug of orange juice or similar, the kind that has a handle, drink it, and cut the bottom off around the rim. Tie a couple feet of rope around the handle with a carabiner on the end and you're good to go. This is what pretty much every whitewater canoist I know does, and I see them in non-bailing rafts a bunch too.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 31, 2023

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is ABSOLUTELY a dirtbag boat. i dont have a car so this boat is going to pretty much only go in this urban river. which is why im going hard on being loud and visible. i wouldnt be this much of a menace if i was doing like serious boating.

really this is just the next step in my plan. i spent last year fuckin with lots of rental gear trying to see what i liked. ill gear up this year. the golden goose is figuring out how to transport a canoe or kayak by bike in such a way that i can ride to a launch, set the craft, load bike and cart, and then gently caress off. hauling big loads by bike is my bread and butter so its just a matter of the right trailer setup.

i looked at folding and inflatable but they both seem car centric and more annoying than just pulling a regular fullsize. and honestly i want a pedal kayak because that makes movement effectively free for me, the professional cyclist.

but thats later. for now i just want to gear up the party canoe enough to night cruise

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Casual Encountess posted:

this is ABSOLUTELY a dirtbag boat. i dont have a car so this boat is going to pretty much only go in this urban river. which is why im going hard on being loud and visible. i wouldnt be this much of a menace if i was doing like serious boating.

really this is just the next step in my plan. i spent last year fuckin with lots of rental gear trying to see what i liked. ill gear up this year. the golden goose is figuring out how to transport a canoe or kayak by bike in such a way that i can ride to a launch, set the craft, load bike and cart, and then gently caress off. hauling big loads by bike is my bread and butter so its just a matter of the right trailer setup.

i looked at folding and inflatable but they both seem car centric and more annoying than just pulling a regular fullsize. and honestly i want a pedal kayak because that makes movement effectively free for me, the professional cyclist.

but thats later. for now i just want to gear up the party canoe enough to night cruise

Get some good retroflective tape or vinyl if you're gonna be night cruising. Useful for other boats to see you, or for you to find the boat if you stash it to go chase a critter or take a dump in the bushes.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

honestly i was gonna see how much it would suck to affix some led strips to the gunwales. retroreflective is a good call tho.

but also for balance

this is about the aesthetic of my land vehicles:

is it tacky af? absolutely. but this is exactly the level of visibility im gunning for at night on this urban river. i wasnt kidding about being A loving Menace but also i would never do this tacky poo poo in the actual wilds which is why im also trying to make everything easily strippable in the event of Actually Going In The Woods.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

honestly i was gonna see how much it would suck to affix some led strips to the gunwales. retroreflective is a good call tho.

but also for balance

is it tacky af? absolutely. but this is exactly the level of visibility im gunning for at night on this urban river. i wasnt kidding about being A loving Menace but also i would never do this tacky poo poo in the actual wilds which is why im also trying to make everything easily strippable in the event of Actually Going In The Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qg-Exm8oRP8

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I had the exact same thought!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

but also for balance

Lol I was actually thinking about suggesting LED strips. Maybe inside hidden right up under the gunwales would be good.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

this is so extremely my poo poo. thanks for posting that! i always tell people who bike to go on their favorite path at like 8-9p with lights and go rip 40mi in the dark because a) its awesome and b) these paths become personal highways after dark more or less because nobody’s on them. im hoping night canoeing will feel similar

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

this is so extremely my poo poo. thanks for posting that! i always tell people who bike to go on their favorite path at like 8-9p with lights and go rip 40mi in the dark because a) its awesome and b) these paths become personal highways after dark more or less because nobody’s on them. im hoping night canoeing will feel similar

Night boating is one of the best things in the world. Fishing at night as a kid is why I became a fish biologist. It's a totally different place at night, rivers come alive.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Hey now, I may have thousands of dollars in boating gear, but my pfd is dirtbag

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

also i would take this more seriously if i was actually through canoeing the cuyahoga or something but im not so im in beer barge mode. the person giving me the canoe knows my propensity to get up to dumb poo poo and was really excited to see what id do to a watercraft.

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
https://wicycle.com/products/bike-trailers/towing-tee

They also sell a cart but you can use any one you want. I've always dreamed of doing this myself, but I'm just not nutty enough so goon speed to you.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you may want to find out if Canoeing and drinking is legal where you are.
Canoeing while drunk can be dangerous. Canoeing while having a beer? Eh, I'm not going to say poo poo. But around here (Ontario) the cops can suspend your driver's license for that poo poo. If you ain't got a car (as you mentioned) or a driver's license, then maybe that doesn't matter, but they can probably still give you fines and poo poo.

Actually, I think if you get a DUI (while driving) here you can't operate a boat either.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Rafters be like

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

wesleywillis posted:

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you may want to find out if Canoeing and drinking is legal where you are.
Canoeing while drunk can be dangerous. Canoeing while having a beer? Eh, I'm not going to say poo poo. But around here (Ontario) the cops can suspend your driver's license for that poo poo. If you ain't got a car (as you mentioned) or a driver's license, then maybe that doesn't matter, but they can probably still give you fines and poo poo.

Actually, I think if you get a DUI (while driving) here you can't operate a boat either.

no totally. im less boozy than i sound. im not really in the habit of getting shithammered. weed’s more my thing anyways. i can blast a sixer and some spliffs on a 50 mile bike ride easily but i think i only get two beers on a boat. my drinking/smoking goal as an adult is to never be somebody else’s problem and ive been pretty successful at it so far!!

of course i dont condone intoxicated operation of vehicles, etc. but that being said thats why im going extra hard on lighting and visibility poo poo.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Epitope posted:

Rafters be like

True

That's probably part of the load for a 21-day Grand Canyon trip.

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

finally got it to my house and it floats great. we bootlegged a cart together and went down to the river for a quick lil rainy jaunt and it was perfect. i have some extra paddles on loan, we’re on our way boys. i got the safety lights to bolt on, im now trying to figure out the cosmetic lights. and we’ll be in business.

edit: my cat pims passed last sunday so i figured he was a perfect namesake for boston’s first french naval reconnaissance canoe

Casual Encountess fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jun 5, 2023

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My canoer buddy and I did the local urban float, tight 2- meandering along a bike path. We went packrafts so he could try it out. I offered him a beer and he said no I want to be 100% for boating (he doesn't know how easy rafts make this). He said "about an hour" float time, which I thought sounded like an underestimate. Oh, because you paddle non stop! We blasted by Margarita Eddy like we're in a race. He cracked his beer at the take out, and kept sipping it while driving back to get the bikes.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Did my first serious Stand-Up Paddleboarding in like a year, 90 minutes out and developed 4 separate blisters.

Is there something equivalent to cycling bar tape to put on paddles to reduce the chance of blisters or should I just do more shorter outings and develop hand calluses?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maxwells Demon posted:

Did my first serious Stand-Up Paddleboarding in like a year, 90 minutes out and developed 4 separate blisters.

Is there something equivalent to cycling bar tape to put on paddles to reduce the chance of blisters or should I just do more shorter outings and develop hand calluses?

Develop calluses
Wear paddling gloves - NRS makes a handful. The sun gloves have the thinnest palm and fit the best in my experience, but I don't like gloves for paddling or rowing personally.

Here's something potentially more important: don't grip so tightly. Your lower hand is more of a guide than a source of power, and the paddle should be easy to rotate within it for j strokes or just adjustment. Keep your top hand on the pommel, not down on the shaft. That way you also don't have to grip as hard. Experiment with holding the paddle as loosely as you can while still being able to paddle and maneuver.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
My wife and I just picked up our first paddle board, a 1 year old barely used Böte Aero HD. We bought it to test out the paddle life. We took it out this last weekend twice and spent the whole time switching off, and immediately decided to buy another one.

I'm a pretty big guy, 6'1 270, and I feel like the HD isn't quite wide enough for me. I'm eyeballing the Body Glove X2 from Costco, which is bigger and includes gimmicky-looking kayak seats that might be fun when I go camping with my daughter.

Can anyone vouch for the X2, or Body Glove boards generally? Or recommend a good board for a big guy? I'm new to the sport and all the YouTubers and reviewers I've read seem like smaller people, and I don't want to waste my money.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
I made this! Just need to paint it now. The long bar at the top is to hang a tarp and have it encompass the 12-footer, winter is brutal here.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Maxwells Demon posted:

The paddles that came with my hobie do this to my hands, none of the other paddles I've used did this. I planned on trying grip tape for handlebars.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Develop calluses
Wear paddling gloves - NRS makes a handful. The sun gloves have the thinnest palm and fit the best in my experience, but I don't like gloves for paddling or rowing personally.

Here's something potentially more important: don't grip so tightly. Your lower hand is more of a guide than a source of power, and the paddle should be easy to rotate within it for j strokes or just adjustment. Keep your top hand on the pommel, not down on the shaft. That way you also don't have to grip as hard. Experiment with holding the paddle as loosely as you can while still being able to paddle and maneuver.

Seconding don't grip too hard, if you need a little more purchase you can put some surf wax on the paddle to add some friction on the wet shaft so you can grip looser.

I would assume a grip tape of some kind would make the blisters worse not better but ymmv, there are some grips specifically for paddles you might try.

I dont like gloves personally, I think they're annoying to have between my hands and the paddle shaft.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I also prefer nothing between my hand and the shaft

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I used fabric 1st aid tape on my kayak paddle shafts and it's great. Basically no increase in diameter of the shaft, but it gives just enough texture that even when it's soaked there's ample friction. I haven't felt like I needed it on my canoe or paddleboard paddles yet, but it's probably where I'd start.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 12, 2023

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Night boating is one of the best things in the world. Fishing at night as a kid is why I became a fish biologist. It's a totally different place at night, rivers come alive.

love doing sunset paddles on the mattabesset into the ct river, the beavers are friendly and cute on the way out in the light and when you come back in the dark theyre super aggressive and slap their tails at you

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I spend a whole lot of time around beavers, wading, paddling in little fishing float tubes, boats, or otherwise getting all up in their habitat and I can tell you this: I've never had a beaver gently caress with me and by God I'm gonna give them some space because they are build like a fast bag of cement with fine Japanese chisels for teeth and claws like a badger.

I've caught a few in my trap nets, and a few years ago I thought I might have to help one get out but as soon as he saw me, he absolutely unzipped the 1" mesh that was woven from tar coated 1/8" synthetic twine.

As far as I can tell though, they won't mess with you if you don't lay hands on them or try to get in their lodge.

If you're fortunate enough, you can hear them talk to each other at night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thG3E0b6K5U

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 14, 2023

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

Thanks for all the replies on the matter. I went out again but this time used a tiny bit of medical/athletic tape on the parts of the fingers that got blisters. 0 blisters today, so hopefully I'm toughening up but might keep with the tape for a few more times.

Beer Gay So What
Apr 20, 2023

THEY MADE THE BEER GAY AND THATS OK
Anyone got experience with the Costco Kayaks, hard body versus inflatables? Just looking for something nice for a lake day don't really anticipate doing much on rivers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Beer Gay So What posted:

Anyone got experience with the Costco Kayaks, hard body versus inflatables? Just looking for something nice for a lake day don't really anticipate doing much on rivers.

I have last years and for entry level you really can’t go wrong. The paddles are adequate and though it’s built like a tank it doesn’t feel like one, stays pretty straight. Have taken it on a few rivers without issue, great for the lake, even did a bit of sea with it but not super far out