Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I also love my chinook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
I also have an older NRS Ninja. My primary use is whitewater kayaking, but i don't see why you couldn't rock it on flat water/canoe.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I'm a big fan of astral PFDs, lots of good options from them.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
I've had an NRS Vapor, Ion and Zen and have been satisfied with all of them but since I've been doing nothing but flat water lately I usually just go the lazy route and grab my wake vest. I'd suggest the Zen if you can get it on sale. I got mine for about $120 a few years ago

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I'm a big fan of astral PFDs, lots of good options from them.

Oh yeah, astral makes good stuff. I’ve got a pair of their Wrassler shoes that are pretty good.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I (and my friends) have had nothing but terrible luck with their shoes as far as durability, its a huge shame 5.10/adidas stopped making all their water shoes as they were way better than any Astral shoe I've ever had.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

I (and my friends) have had nothing but terrible luck with their shoes as far as durability, its a huge shame 5.10/adidas stopped making all their water shoes as they were way better than any Astral shoe I've ever had.

Interesting. I’ve only used mine on a few trips so far so haven’t really put them to the test. A few of my colleagues have really used them hard for a couple years now and still rave.

Speaking of water shoes though, I am ending friendship with Chaco. I’ve been loyal for 13+ years now, and their material quality, offerings, prices, and customer service just keeps declining. When my current pair finally blows out I’m going to get some Bedrock sandals.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Anyone have recommendations on entry level canoes? I've been doing some research, but it's hard to settle on something. There are a lot of different options on craigslist/FB Market/Offerup.
I canoed years ago in Scouts (even got my merit badge!) but that was almost 20 years ago.

We'll be using it to take nieces and nephews around (and eventually our own kids) on car camping trips, but also for multi-day boating trips with either my wife and I, or just myself.

The lakes I like to take multi-day trips on can get pretty windy. The last time I went out with my friend, we had 2-3 foot white caps. It wasn't a big issue being in kayaks, but I'm a little more wary in a canoe with its higher COG (the ranger said they had seven canoe rescues in the two days before we went out).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

its all nice on rice posted:

Anyone have recommendations on entry level canoes? I've been doing some research, but it's hard to settle on something. There are a lot of different options on craigslist/FB Market/Offerup.
I canoed years ago in Scouts (even got my merit badge!) but that was almost 20 years ago.

We'll be using it to take nieces and nephews around (and eventually our own kids) on car camping trips, but also for multi-day boating trips with either my wife and I, or just myself.

The lakes I like to take multi-day trips on can get pretty windy. The last time I went out with my friend, we had 2-3 foot white caps. It wasn't a big issue being in kayaks, but I'm a little more wary in a canoe with its higher COG (the ranger said they had seven canoe rescues in the two days before we went out).

Old Town Discovery 169

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Old Town Discovery 169

Not seeing any in my area on the used market. There's an Old Town Guide 147 and an Old Town Discovery 174.

Lots of Coleman Ram-x canoes, but I remember Coleman canoes being blegh even when i was 13.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Not seeing any in my area on the used market. There's an Old Town Guide 147 and an Old Town Discovery 174.

Lots of Coleman Ram-x canoes, but I remember Coleman canoes being blegh even when i was 13.

I've never paddled a 174, but the Discovery shape is built for hauling a bunch of poo poo and being really stable. In big lovely water, it'd probably be even more capable of handling waves head-on. If it's not a really new one, it's probably Royalex, so heavy but tough as poo poo and resistant to oil canning.

The Guide is probably not great for really nasty stormy water. The primary stability is good because they're flat-bottomed, but secondary isn't so great. They put chines on them to account for that, but they're still more of a casual day tripper. You could easily camp out of one for a couple people and a dog or kid, but the heavier you load it, the less stable it will be.

edit: To clarify, all canoes gain stability as you load them, but a flat bottom will lose that stability after a point, and that point comes earlier on the Guide than the round-bottom Discovery.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 8, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

I've never paddled a 174, but the Discovery shape is built for hauling a bunch of poo poo and being really stable. In big lovely water, it'd probably be even more capable of handling waves head-on.

Would a 17ft+ canoe be unwieldy for one person and gear? I weigh ~185, and if I pack a cooler, I'm looking at something like 100lbs or so of gear.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Would a 17ft+ canoe be unwieldy for one person and gear? I weigh ~185, and if I pack a cooler, I'm looking at something like 100lbs or so of gear.

Yes.

Even more of a pain in the rear end to load and unload. If you want that option, get the Guide 147 and put web seats in it if it doesn't already have them. Sit backward on the bow seat to paddle solo. A 100# cooler would be a benefit to you in that situation, it'll balance the boat and make it track better in addition to getting it deeper in the water.

I posted up thread a bunch about this, but I am thinking about trying to get rid of my Guide 160 for a 147 so I can solo canoe or take the kid out by myself till she's old enough to paddle.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Yes.

Even more of a pain in the rear end to load and unload. If you want that option, get the Guide 147 and put web seats in it if it doesn't already have them. Sit backward on the bow seat to paddle solo. A 100# cooler would be a benefit to you in that situation, it'll balance the boat and make it track better in addition to getting it deeper in the water.

I posted up thread a bunch about this, but I am thinking about trying to get rid of my Guide 160 for a 147 so I can solo canoe or take the kid out by myself till she's old enough to paddle.

Awesome, I'll scroll up for your posts. Thanks!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

One other thing to consider is the Guide series in general is slower and less maneuverable on the water than the Discovery. Not by a huge amount, and it matter less on flat water/lakes/lagoons. A good paddle helps, and you'll want to have a good j-stroke. A touring/sea kayaking paddle is nice to have if you want to do solo stuff, but not necessary. Just make sure it's plenty long enough.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Went with the guide. The seller had two oars of different lengths.
I took it out on a lake near my house to try out the oars and my kayak paddle. The kayak paddle seemed to give me a bit more control, but I could keep up better speed with the longer oar. Think I'll pick up a longer one kayak paddle.

Now I need to figure out how to get some sort of foot rest/brace in there. Didn't realize how much that helps in my kayak.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Went with the guide. The seller had two oars of different lengths.
I took it out on a lake near my house to try out the oars and my kayak paddle. The kayak paddle seemed to give me a bit more control, but I could keep up better speed with the longer oar. Think I'll pick up a longer one kayak paddle.

Now I need to figure out how to get some sort of foot rest/brace in there. Didn't realize how much that helps in my kayak.

Nice! I'm interested in what you think about it.

Try kneeling if you're going solo. The Guide is just a little wide, so you may have to reach a bit if you're kneeling close to the middle. I use a Harmony Shadow paddle that's a little longer than most online paddle-sizing guides recommend, specifically so I can paddle a wide canoe from my knees or while standing. Also gives a little bit more reach for harder turns on boat that doesn't like to turn quite so well. My wife likes her basic Carlisle Scout paddle. Good paddle brands: Carlisle, Bending Branches, Harmony, Werner, Sawyer. Carlisle has ample budget paddles, and their basic blue and yellow plastic t-handle is always good to have on hand for beatering or loaning.

I've never seen foot braces in a canoe. My first thought is that if you're trying to brace your whole body with your feet to put power into a stroke, you're trying too hard and will wear yourself out. Flatwater canoeing is leisurely. Develop a good j-stroke, don't get your shoulders and traps all tense, and let your torso twist naturally. If you do really want a foot brace, which isn't unreasonable, try stickier shoes first. If that doesn't help, get some of the foam used in whitewater kayaks, cut it to shape, and glue it on the inside of the hull.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Sep 10, 2020

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I did a bit of Googling, and apparently some folks installed kayak foot braces on their canoes. Doing that would have my legs pretty wide, though. There are also crossbar systems you can install from a few different manufacturers. I think I might just lay down some grip pads/anti slip strips; I saw some canoes on CL with them installed. Can only help with grip, and would be safer for little ones.
I'll definitely have to work on the J-Stroke. I think I'm just used to using my lower half to help with thrust in the kayak.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

I think I might just lay down some grip pads/anti slip strips; I saw some canoes on CL with them installed. Can only help with grip, and would be safer for little ones.

Oh poo poo I never thought of that. I’ve got a roll of grip tape, it’d be perfect for that.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Outside of testing it on the water, I think the canoe is ready to go!
Sanded and re-stained the yoke. Laid down grip tape. Replaced the stock bow seat with a nylon webbed one.
The nylon isn't 100% even, but I think it works!

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
(Never kayaked) - Found a "beginning sea kayaking" class and am looking at trying it out along with inviting a few others. Looks like this covers exiting and re-entry and some paddling techniques. Is there an an analogy I can use when thinking of / describing the exertion levels of practicing exiting/re-entry? I want everyone to have a good time but we are all at various fitness levels. I'd hate to see anyone (including myself) struggling to perform these activities out in the water with their close friends/family watching - so would like to be up front with what to expect (instructor I spoke with made a loose fitness requirement of being able to do a situp/pushup)

Edit - found these two REI instructionals on exit/re-entry, doesn't seem toooooo bad
exit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4PgYkeJzw&ab_channel=REI
reentry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHYtQR79Z4&ab_channel=REI%A0

Thom ZombieForm fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 16, 2020

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Thom ZombieForm posted:

(Never kayaked) - Found a "beginning sea kayaking" class and am looking at trying it out along with inviting a few others. Looks like this covers exiting and re-entry and some paddling techniques. Is there an an analogy I can use when thinking of / describing the exertion levels of practicing exiting/re-entry? I want everyone to have a good time but we are all at various fitness levels. I'd hate to see anyone (including myself) struggling to perform these activities out in the water with their close friends/family watching - so would like to be up front with what to expect (instructor I spoke with made a loose fitness requirement of being able to do a situp/pushup)

Edit - found these two REI instructionals on exit/re-entry, doesn't seem toooooo bad
exit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=By4PgYkeJzw&ab_channel=REI
reentry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUHYtQR79Z4&ab_channel=REI%A0

Think of hauling yourself out of a pool without a ladder or steps. Not difficult, but it takes some core strength. I spent a couple of hours practicing exit-re-entry a few years ago and it was a definite workout. Doing a few wasn't a big deal but I really felt it after a about a dozen. I used a paddle float and it was an interesting effort in balance and core strength that was hard to parallel. The class should be enjoyable and hopefully the instructor versed in how to convey this to a novice.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive

Yooper posted:

...The class should be enjoyable and hopefully the instructor versed in how to convey this to a novice.

Nice, thanks for painting a picture, that’s what I was hoping for. This sounds like a good time

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Outside of testing it on the water, I think the canoe is ready to go!
Sanded and re-stained the yoke. Laid down grip tape. Replaced the stock bow seat with a nylon webbed one.
The nylon isn't 100% even, but I think it works!

gently caress yeah man. Need a trip report soon.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

gently caress yeah man. Need a trip report soon.

Actually took it out last weekend on a short camping trip.

I camped at Diablo Lake. Diablo and Ross lakes are two of my favorite camping locations in Washington State.

It being post Labor Day, and smoke choking everyone, I was able to book a site at the closest camping area to the boat launch (thunder point). The site is great because it's about a 30-45 minute paddle, and you don't have to traverse the roughest waters. On calm water it's fine, but the winds can get real nasty on this lake. Past thunder point, you go (generally) from a headwind, to a crosswind, to a tailwind in a fairly short span.
When I was booking the site, the ranger told me Seattle City Light was draining the lakes (they run the dams on Ross, Diablo, and Gorge Lakes.) "The boat launch will be unusable, but you should be able to use the dock."
I took this photo from the edge of the boat launch, and that's the dock on the right:

The mud was super sticky, and hungry for shoes. I had go about 50 or so yards to find a solid spot to launch from. This photo is from the same spot as the previous one:

I made sure to get an early enough start before the winds moved in. The water was perfectly smooth, but the first quarter mile or so was more shallow than I expected. The water was very cloudy, and my oar even hit ground at times, bringing up clumps of clay and mud.
The added weight from all the gear, and sitting in the the bow seat definitely helped with stabilization, and the boat tracked very well.

It took about 45 minutes to reach the thunder point dock. Even with the lake down about 15 feet, it's deep enough past the floating breakers that the docks are easily accessible at the campsites.
I wanted to take the boat out after setting up camp, but the wind moved in, and I did not want to deal with it in an empty canoe. I've passed multiple swamped canoes in the few times I've been on these lakes. Risking it with no ranger actively patrolling wouldn't be smart.

While the first day was smoky, a front moved through and cleared it all out. Here's pre and post smoke:

About half an hour after sunset (#pixel4nightsight)

The plan was to stay from Th-Sun, but it rained a lot more than expected on Friday night. The tent pads were so dry and dusty, they turned into giant puddles. My tent stayed dry on the inside, but I knew that more rain was on the way, and decided to pack it up Saturday morning.

Once I got back to the launch, I was too tired and wet to take multiple trips lugging an ~85lbs canoe and all my gear to the car, so I said "gently caress it" and jumped the curb.

Overall, I'm happy with the canoe. The webbed seat was a good decision, and much more comfortable than expected. The grip tape definitely helped stop my feet from sliding around.
This is probably my last trip for the year. Maybe I'll get a wild hair up my rear end and do some fall camping if I'm still stuck as WFH.

I highly recommend anyone in Washington or the Vancouver, BC area to check out Diablo and Ross lakes. They are an amazing place to camp or just boat for a day. On a clear day, Diablo is an emerald green, and Ross is a deep blue. Highway 20 is also a great drive or motorcycle ride.

Here are two photos from my prior trip showing just how green Diablo gets:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

I camped at Diablo Lake. Diablo and Ross lakes are two of my favorite camping locations in Washington State.

It being post Labor Day, and smoke choking everyone, I was able to book a site at the closest camping area to the boat launch (thunder point). The site is great because it's about a 30-45 minute paddle, and you don't have to traverse the roughest waters. On calm water it's fine, but the winds can get real nasty on this lake. Past thunder point, you go (generally) from a headwind, to a crosswind, to a tailwind in a fairly short span.
When I was booking the site, the ranger told me Seattle City Light was draining the lakes (they run the dams on Ross, Diablo, and Gorge Lakes.) "The boat launch will be unusable, but you should be able to use the dock."
I took this photo from the edge of the boat launch, and that's the dock on the right:

The mud was super sticky, and hungry for shoes. I had go about 50 or so yards to find a solid spot to launch from. This photo is from the same spot as the previous one:

I made sure to get an early enough start before the winds moved in. The water was perfectly smooth, but the first quarter mile or so was more shallow than I expected. The water was very cloudy, and my oar even hit ground at times, bringing up clumps of clay and mud.
The added weight from all the gear, and sitting in the the bow seat definitely helped with stabilization, and the boat tracked very well.

It took about 45 minutes to reach the thunder point dock. Even with the lake down about 15 feet, it's deep enough past the floating breakers that the docks are easily accessible at the campsites.
I wanted to take the boat out after setting up camp, but the wind moved in, and I did not want to deal with it in an empty canoe. I've passed multiple swamped canoes in the few times I've been on these lakes. Risking it with no ranger actively patrolling wouldn't be smart.

While the first day was smoky, a front moved through and cleared it all out. Here's pre and post smoke:

The plan was to stay from Th-Sun, but it rained a lot more than expected on Friday night. The tent pads were so dry and dusty, they turned into giant puddles. My tent stayed dry on the inside, but I knew that more rain was on the way, and decided to pack it up Saturday morning.

Once I got back to the launch, I was too tired and wet to take multiple trips lugging an ~85lbs canoe and all my gear to the car, so I said "gently caress it" and jumped the curb.

Overall, I'm happy with the canoe. The webbed seat was a good decision, and much more comfortable than expected. The grip tape definitely helped stop my feet from sliding around.
This is probably my last trip for the year. Maybe I'll get a wild hair up my rear end and do some fall camping if I'm still stuck as WFH.

I highly recommend anyone in Washington or the Vancouver, BC area to check out Diablo and Ross lakes. They are an amazing place to camp or just boat for a day. On a clear day, Diablo is an emerald green, and Ross is a deep blue. Highway 20 is also a great drive or motorcycle ride.

that looks like it was a beautiful trip :love:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Nice. How much weight would you estimate in the fully loaded boat?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I pulled the trigger for myself on a feelfree lure 13.5 v1. They are on closeout right now. Excited to get started

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Nice. How much weight would you estimate in the fully loaded boat?

I'm terrible at guessing, but I'd say the gear & cooler were 150-175lbs. I'm 185, so I'd say around 350, give or take.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I bought one of the cheap Tamarack Angler 10' sit-on-top fishing kayaks recently and pretty quickly realized that I need an anchor setup to keep me in place. I've installed the Yak Attack trolley and I've got my grapple anchor rock-rigged and my quick disconnect system all set up:

The only thing I didn't consider is how to manage 30 feet of line when the water is only a few feet deep.

Any suggestions?

edit: looking at the above picture I decided to try creating a series of loops of the excess then using an overhand knot to secure it, and a quick test shows me that it holds but is pretty easy to untie. Is there a more elegant solution that doesn't involve spending more money?

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 27, 2020

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Easychair Bootson posted:

I bought one of the cheap Tamarack Angler 10' sit-on-top fishing kayaks recently and pretty quickly realized that I need an anchor setup to keep me in place. I've installed the Yak Attack trolley and I've got my grapple anchor rock-rigged and my quick disconnect system all set up:

The only thing I didn't consider is how to manage 30 feet of line when the water is only a few feet deep.

Any suggestions?

edit: looking at the above picture I decided to try creating a series of loops of the excess then using an overhand knot to secure it, and a quick test shows me that it holds but is pretty easy to untie. Is there a more elegant solution that doesn't involve spending more money?

Reef up all but 10 feet of your rope at the boat end, tie an inline figure eight to attach to the boat (that’s now the effective ‘end’ of the rope), and keep the excess bundled in a drawstring bag.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Reef up all but 10 feet of your rope at the boat end, tie an inline figure eight to attach to the boat (that’s now the effective ‘end’ of the rope), and keep the excess bundled in a drawstring bag.

Oh yeah, that'll do the trick quite nicely. Thanks, amigo!

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I use a retractable dog leash for my anchor. You can also use a retractable clothesline, you just need to pull out most of the line and replace it with paracord. My quick disconnect system is a knife. I've made anchors out of both and I think the clothesline is better/cheaper but it also takes a bit more work to set up.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Hey guys... picking up the Kayak today but I still need a pfd and a paddle. Can I get some recommendations?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
NRS Chinook for PFD and Bending Branches or Werner for paddle.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

NRS Ninja for pfd and Bending Branches Whisper or Sunrise for paddle. Harmony Sea Passage also acceptable.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ite... I ordered a bending branches angler classic and an NRS chinook. More than I wanted to spend but the recommendation list was short

How do you guys like to pack a lunch for a day out fishing/paddling? Do you bring a cooler or just granola bars? Curious how others are handling

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Syano posted:

Ite... I ordered a bending branches angler classic and an NRS chinook. More than I wanted to spend but the recommendation list was short

How do you guys like to pack a lunch for a day out fishing/paddling? Do you bring a cooler or just granola bars? Curious how others are handling

Those are good picks. You’re right, not the cheapest, but good quality and comfortable to use all day (probably).

If I’m solo, I’ll pack a little dry bag with a clif bar, peanuts, cheese, dried fruit, fig newtons, etc, and maybe pick up some candy from a gas station on the way. If I’m going with others, I’ll often take a small cooler with cheese, bread, olives, smoked fish, sausage, fruit, some beers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just paddle back to the cottage and grill up some hot dogs