Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

I also own a skinny lightweight floaty thing.
Its a 2001 model Swift Kipawa. In some sort of carbon fibre type material. Its an "ultralight" or whatever passed for ultralight 20 some years ago.

I've been lazy as hell the last few years but here are some pictures from back in the day when I wasn't so lazy(2015).

Fuckin Imgur is being fucky, so this is all you get for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

wesleywillis posted:

I also own a skinny lightweight floaty thing.
Its a 2001 model Swift Kipawa. In some sort of carbon fibre type material. Its an "ultralight" or whatever passed for ultralight 20 some years ago.

I've been lazy as hell the last few years but here are some pictures from back in the day when I wasn't so lazy(2015).

Fuckin Imgur is being fucky, so this is all you get for now.

What roof racks do you have? I've also got a corolla, and this foam blocks only work so well.

AmbassadorofSodomy
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

its all nice on rice posted:

What roof racks do you have? I've also got a corolla, and this foam blocks only work so well.

It's a Yakima. Got it on the way home from the dealer when I picked up the car. Only complaint is that the silicone or rubber or whatever pads seem to have gotten kinda gooey and sticky. Sometimes get a bit of residue the n the paint and on my hands.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

charliebravo77 posted:

I bought a Nucanoe Frontier 12 last week. Can't fuckin wait to get it out on the water this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates here in Chicagoland. Now to figure out if I want to get the pedal drive, electric trolling motor, gas outboard or just paddle it. Slowly outfitting it with everything necessary to take it out on Lake Michigan once I am comfortable on it. Gonna catch hella smallmouth in the harbors and off the breakwalls hopefully.

The pedal drive looks pretty nice on that.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While it's not going to win any races paddle-only, this Nucanoe Frontier 12 rocks. I can stand and cast a fly rod or paddle, which is just super impressive coming from my old kayak. I'm like 290lbs and 5'10" and it's very stable for me. Water temps were too cold to really test its limits yesterday but I was able to stand, sit, spin around 360 on the chair and didn't feel like I was going to tip at any point.

Now I need a trailer and an electric trolling motor setup.

Can't wait for the weather to get nice. This is definitely an all-day boat, my old sit on top kayak was uncomfortable after an hour or two and was definitely not stable enough to reach behind me, let alone stand. I might experiment with setting up my tripod and camera on here to do some wildlife photography from it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy. I'm 300lbs and getting lower. We are fortunate as we have a lake right next to us and a very active SUP group. Last year my lady got a board and we got our kids boards as well. I just did not enjoy using a SUP board and never felt comfortable.
I used a sit in Kayak a few times and found it a lot easier to use. Sure I tipped a few times but enjoyed figuring it out

Doing various research, I think I'd like to go with a sit on top kayak. We have our lake, we hit up rivers and at least one yearly trip out for some time on the ocean.
I am eyeing the Pescador 12.0. While it is more of a fishing kayak, reviews seem relatively glowing.
Are there other makes or models I should be checking out?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy.

Fat guy here, look at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 posted above.
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 22, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

I have the pescador pro 12. It's a nice kayak but it's not super stable. I'm 140lbs and I can stand up and fish off of it, but it doesn't feel good. For sitting it's great, very comfortable. Also if you were gonna fish from it the built in rod-holders are useless.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy. I'm 300lbs and getting lower. We are fortunate as we have a lake right next to us and a very active SUP group. Last year my lady got a board and we got our kids boards as well. I just did not enjoy using a SUP board and never felt comfortable.
I used a sit in Kayak a few times and found it a lot easier to use. Sure I tipped a few times but enjoyed figuring it out

Doing various research, I think I'd like to go with a sit on top kayak. We have our lake, we hit up rivers and at least one yearly trip out for some time on the ocean.
I am eyeing the Pescador 12.0. While it is more of a fishing kayak, reviews seem relatively glowing.

I don't have much kayak experience, but I'm very happy with my Crescent LiteTackle. It's also labeled as a fishing kayak, but I got it for recreational paddling because I'm 250lbs, so I wanted something that could easily handle my weight plus extra cargo. Crescent also just came out with the CK1, which is a little smaller, but also has a nice 400lb weight capacity (compared to the LiteTackle's 450lbs).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Speaking of the CK1 Venture, I picked one up on Monday. It's intended to replace the Lifetime Tamarack Angler that I bought last year, although the Lifetime isn't going anywhere; it'll be a boat for friends and guests to use.

ENHANCE!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Dumb question.

Do any of the sit on top kayaks allow you to reverse the seat and add oarlocks?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VideoGameVet posted:

Dumb question.

I have never seen anything of the sort, but you could probably easily put some oarlocks in and push it Galloway style.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 1, 2021

nerox
May 20, 2001

Iím pretty late to fat guy kayaking chat, but I recommend a vibe shearwater, I can stand up on mine easily.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Dumb question.

You could probably do this with a NuCanoe. The Fusion 360 seat spins around 360 and you could probably add oar locks with the track system or to the top of the gunwale.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of

Suggestions for a quick release leash? We might Take the SUPs to some moving water this season.

buy in seems to be about $60, and I get skimping one safety equipment is generally not a good idea, Iím wondering if there are alternatives that are a bit less pricy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017

I think that's about what it's gonna be, NRS is probably the cheapest option (they usually are) but you might find something else? You could look for a QR sea kayak tow belt or a whitewater reduce belt but those will probably cost the same or more, but other options that do basically the same thing.

I'm also not 100% sure on if leashes are still considered beat practice in moving water or white water, most of the WW SUPers I know don't run them (maybe I don't hang out with those guys that much).