Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I also own a skinny lightweight floaty thing.
Its a 2001 model Swift Kipawa. In some sort of carbon fibre type material. Its an "ultralight" or whatever passed for ultralight 20 some years ago.

I've been lazy as hell the last few years but here are some pictures from back in the day when I wasn't so lazy(2015).

Fuckin Imgur is being fucky, so this is all you get for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

wesleywillis posted:

I also own a skinny lightweight floaty thing.
Its a 2001 model Swift Kipawa. In some sort of carbon fibre type material. Its an "ultralight" or whatever passed for ultralight 20 some years ago.

I've been lazy as hell the last few years but here are some pictures from back in the day when I wasn't so lazy(2015).

Fuckin Imgur is being fucky, so this is all you get for now.

What roof racks do you have? I've also got a corolla, and this foam blocks only work so well.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

What roof racks do you have? I've also got a corolla, and this foam blocks only work so well.

It's a Yakima. Got it on the way home from the dealer when I picked up the car. Only complaint is that the silicone or rubber or whatever pads seem to have gotten kinda gooey and sticky. Sometimes get a bit of residue the n the paint and on my hands.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

charliebravo77 posted:

I bought a Nucanoe Frontier 12 last week. Can't fuckin wait to get it out on the water this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates here in Chicagoland. Now to figure out if I want to get the pedal drive, electric trolling motor, gas outboard or just paddle it. Slowly outfitting it with everything necessary to take it out on Lake Michigan once I am comfortable on it. Gonna catch hella smallmouth in the harbors and off the breakwalls hopefully.

The pedal drive looks pretty nice on that.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While it's not going to win any races paddle-only, this Nucanoe Frontier 12 rocks. I can stand and cast a fly rod or paddle, which is just super impressive coming from my old kayak. I'm like 290lbs and 5'10" and it's very stable for me. Water temps were too cold to really test its limits yesterday but I was able to stand, sit, spin around 360 on the chair and didn't feel like I was going to tip at any point.

Now I need a trailer and an electric trolling motor setup.

Can't wait for the weather to get nice. This is definitely an all-day boat, my old sit on top kayak was uncomfortable after an hour or two and was definitely not stable enough to reach behind me, let alone stand. I might experiment with setting up my tripod and camera on here to do some wildlife photography from it.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy. I'm 300lbs and getting lower. We are fortunate as we have a lake right next to us and a very active SUP group. Last year my lady got a board and we got our kids boards as well. I just did not enjoy using a SUP board and never felt comfortable.
I used a sit in Kayak a few times and found it a lot easier to use. Sure I tipped a few times but enjoyed figuring it out

Doing various research, I think I'd like to go with a sit on top kayak. We have our lake, we hit up rivers and at least one yearly trip out for some time on the ocean.
I am eyeing the Pescador 12.0. While it is more of a fishing kayak, reviews seem relatively glowing.
Are there other makes or models I should be checking out?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy.

Fat guy here, look at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 posted above.
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 22, 2021

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I have the pescador pro 12. It's a nice kayak but it's not super stable. I'm 140lbs and I can stand up and fish off of it, but it doesn't feel good. For sitting it's great, very comfortable. Also if you were gonna fish from it the built in rod-holders are useless.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy. I'm 300lbs and getting lower. We are fortunate as we have a lake right next to us and a very active SUP group. Last year my lady got a board and we got our kids boards as well. I just did not enjoy using a SUP board and never felt comfortable.
I used a sit in Kayak a few times and found it a lot easier to use. Sure I tipped a few times but enjoyed figuring it out

Doing various research, I think I'd like to go with a sit on top kayak. We have our lake, we hit up rivers and at least one yearly trip out for some time on the ocean.
I am eyeing the Pescador 12.0. While it is more of a fishing kayak, reviews seem relatively glowing.

I don't have much kayak experience, but I'm very happy with my Crescent LiteTackle. It's also labeled as a fishing kayak, but I got it for recreational paddling because I'm 250lbs, so I wanted something that could easily handle my weight plus extra cargo. Crescent also just came out with the CK1, which is a little smaller, but also has a nice 400lb weight capacity (compared to the LiteTackle's 450lbs).

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Speaking of the CK1 Venture, I picked one up on Monday. It's intended to replace the Lifetime Tamarack Angler that I bought last year, although the Lifetime isn't going anywhere; it'll be a boat for friends and guests to use.

ENHANCE!

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Dumb question.

Do any of the sit on top kayaks allow you to reverse the seat and add oarlocks?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

VideoGameVet posted:

Dumb question.

I have never seen anything of the sort, but you could probably easily put some oarlocks in and push it Galloway style.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 1, 2021

nerox
May 20, 2001
I’m pretty late to fat guy kayaking chat, but I recommend a vibe shearwater, I can stand up on mine easily.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Dumb question.

You could probably do this with a NuCanoe. The Fusion 360 seat spins around 360 and you could probably add oar locks with the track system or to the top of the gunwale.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Suggestions for a quick release leash? We might Take the SUPs to some moving water this season.

buy in seems to be about $60, and I get skimping one safety equipment is generally not a good idea, I’m wondering if there are alternatives that are a bit less pricy.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
I think that's about what it's gonna be, NRS is probably the cheapest option (they usually are) but you might find something else? You could look for a QR sea kayak tow belt or a whitewater reduce belt but those will probably cost the same or more, but other options that do basically the same thing.

I'm also not 100% sure on if leashes are still considered beat practice in moving water or white water, most of the WW SUPers I know don't run them (maybe I don't hang out with those guys that much).

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015
I live in Michigan and have really enjoyed kayaking in the past and am finally in place where I can buy my first one. I'm mostly going to use it on small lakes and river with some fishing in those same places mixed in, but am a little concerned about the bottom and material I should use so I'm looking for any advice. I really like the idea of an inflatable kayak with a flat bottom but worry about punctures as the rivers around here would seem to be filled with things that would pop it. Same reason I was looking at the flat bottom, but am I overthinking that?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

dadjokes posted:

I live in Michigan and have really enjoyed kayaking in the past and am finally in place where I can buy my first one. I'm mostly going to use it on small lakes and river with some fishing in those same places mixed in, but am a little concerned about the bottom and material I should use so I'm looking for any advice. I really like the idea of an inflatable kayak with a flat bottom but worry about punctures as the rivers around here would seem to be filled with things that would pop it. Same reason I was looking at the flat bottom, but am I overthinking that?

Don’t get an inflatable for flat water and don’t get a flat bottom. They’ll be slow as molasses, won’t track for poo poo, and will generally be more irritating than fun.

I’m a big fan of recreational kayaks, aka rec boats. Think big open cockpits and plenty of legroom, fairly good secondary stability, enough of a keel to track straight, and short enough to maneuver easily. My personal favorite for years was a 10-foot Old Town Voyager. Similar: Old Town Loon and Dirigo. All are light enough to tote around on your own on whatever vehicle and pretty forgiving for less-experienced paddlers.

Others in this thread know more about sit on tops and hybrids.

Also check out the Discord, we talk boats a lot in there.

dadjokes
Feb 9, 2015

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Don’t get an inflatable for flat water and don’t get a flat bottom. They’ll be slow as molasses, won’t track for poo poo, and will generally be more irritating than fun.

I’m a big fan of recreational kayaks, aka rec boats. Think big open cockpits and plenty of legroom, fairly good secondary stability, enough of a keel to track straight, and short enough to maneuver easily. My personal favorite for years was a 10-foot Old Town Voyager. Similar: Old Town Loon and Dirigo. All are light enough to tote around on your own on whatever vehicle and pretty forgiving for less-experienced paddlers.

Others in this thread know more about sit on tops and hybrids.

Also check out the Discord, we talk boats a lot in there.

Fair enough, thanks for the insight. It probably made things a lot easier and cheaper for me to find either new or used.

meowmeowmeowmeow
Jan 4, 2017
What discord is this?

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

What discord is this?

This invite should be good for 7 days

https://discord.gg/hqpZgSMw

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Long time listener, first time poster!

So I recently I hosed up and sold my kayak and turns out it’s still stupid hard to get almost anything halfway decent right now.

Here’s my old boat:

Really really liked the thing, but being a sasquatch it was enough of a struggle to get in and out of the cockpit that I thought I’d just get something more comfortable and with more convenient storage for multi day trips. Plus I got about 3-4 years of beating it to poo poo and dragging it across the rocks before selling it off for basically what I paid for it.

But that leaves me here in springtime with several big planned trips I want to do this year and no idea what I can even buy to replace it

Was about to pull the trigger on the Dagger Axis at REI, but I again hosed up and they sold out right before the Memorial Day sale started.

So then I started poking around and I’ve got my eyes on a Jackson Tupelo 12.5 or some other recreational kayak I can take on sheltered open water, or do multi day kayak camping trips down larger rivers. But i don’t see any resellers near me listed on Jackson’s site, and I’m not super keen on paying 500$ for shipping.

Any other recommendations in that recreational+ category I should be looking at? Or am I just screwed? Should I just get a lifetime or a Pelican so I at least have *something*?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I don't have a single suggestion at to what kayak to get, but I'd say it's not impossible. Just difficult. I've been casually looking at some river touring models and I was able to find a couple retailers that had stock on their websites, and others listed with when their next order was arriving.

My friend managed to buy a used boat from an outfitter that's otherwise closed for COVID. They weren't going to open to sell anyone "a used boat", which usually involves pulling down a bunch of boats and shuttling them to the water to demo. Why would they after all? It's a pain in the rear end for them and they can't really afford to sell off much of their fleet with how difficult it is to source replacements and the demand they are seeing for rentals later this season.

They made an exception for him because he specifically asked for a model from their fleet that's pretty old and from a manufacturer that's dead to boot. It's a great canoe but at this point it looks pretty drab and people are expecting the advertised brands when shelling out for a Kevlar category rental. He also made it clear that he'd give them the money, take the boat and get out of their hair which eased their concerns around COVID.

I would basically write off marketplace, Craigslist, etc at this point. The prices have become too inflated and people are getting dozens of offers.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

OSU_Matthew posted:

Long time listener, first time poster!

So I recently I hosed up and sold my kayak and turns out it’s still stupid hard to get almost anything halfway decent right now.

Here’s my old boat:

Really really liked the thing, but being a sasquatch it was enough of a struggle to get in and out of the cockpit that I thought I’d just get something more comfortable and with more convenient storage for multi day trips. Plus I got about 3-4 years of beating it to poo poo and dragging it across the rocks before selling it off for basically what I paid for it.

But that leaves me here in springtime with several big planned trips I want to do this year and no idea what I can even buy to replace it

Was about to pull the trigger on the Dagger Axis at REI, but I again hosed up and they sold out right before the Memorial Day sale started.

So then I started poking around and I’ve got my eyes on a Jackson Tupelo 12.5 or some other recreational kayak I can take on sheltered open water, or do multi day kayak camping trips down larger rivers. But i don’t see any resellers near me listed on Jackson’s site, and I’m not super keen on paying 500$ for shipping.

Any other recommendations in that recreational+ category I should be looking at? Or am I just screwed? Should I just get a lifetime or a Pelican so I at least have *something*?

That's the folding corrugated plastic one? Did it ever break?

(those look cool)

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Those Oru Kayaks look so cool. Super expensive though. I just checked their website and they have a new one called the Inlet that's at the low price of $899. I got my kayak for maybe $199.

I've been trying to get a new kayak rack for months now. I accidentally took my Yakima Evenkeel rack through a touch carwash and broke one of the mounts. I contacted their customer support and they don't sell individual ones but I got a discount code though. However, nothing is in stock. Nothing at all. And they have no lead times as far as I know. Thule is out of stock on all flat mounts too.

I hate the J mounts because getting the kayak up there by myself is a pain in the rear end. The flat ones I can mount it from the rear (heh).

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Found this cutie out kayaking in swamps this weekend :3

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Those Oru Kayaks look so cool. Super expensive though. I just checked their website and they have a new one called the Inlet that's at the low price of $899. I got my kayak for maybe $199.

I've been trying to get a new kayak rack for months now. I accidentally took my Yakima Evenkeel rack through a touch carwash and broke one of the mounts. I contacted their customer support and they don't sell individual ones but I got a discount code though. However, nothing is in stock. Nothing at all. And they have no lead times as far as I know. Thule is out of stock on all flat mounts too.

I hate the J mounts because getting the kayak up there by myself is a pain in the rear end. The flat ones I can mount it from the rear (heh).

I've been building stuff in corrugated plastic for years. Mainly cargo boxes for bikes.

Oru did a great job with theirs.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

Have any of you goons tried out / heard of the folding Tucktec kayak? Someone in a discord I'm in ordered one and was all excited, I wasn't interested cause I figured it was crazy pricey like the other folding kayaks I've seen, but it's only $350. I'm pretty tempted because of the portability, but the price makes me excited AND concerned. https://foldupkayaks.com

My impression I've been able to get is that it works, but the sides are real low and any kind of chop on the water is going to get you waterlogged immediately, but I've got some nice still lakes around me that would probably be fine. IDK, maybe I'd be better served by some kind of inflatable option. I've found some reviews of it, but they're apparently out of date as the kayak has had a couple of revised models over the last couple years.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Wow, that looks really cool and very affordable. Looking at it, I agree, the sides look a little low.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I've got two Bending Branches kayak paddles. One of them is stuck as one piece and the other one won't go together as a single piece (too tight).

For the stuck one I've tried using hot/cold water and a hair dryer as well as lubricant but it won't budge.

For the non-stuck one I've tried sanding the gently caress out of it but it's still catching and not going all the way.

These paddles are 13 years old and the cheapest ones REI sells. Should I keep trying to salvage them or just move on?

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I've got two Bending Branches kayak paddles. One of them is stuck as one piece and the other one won't go together as a single piece (too tight).

For the stuck one I've tried using hot/cold water and a hair dryer as well as lubricant but it won't budge.

For the non-stuck one I've tried sanding the gently caress out of it but it's still catching and not going all the way.

These paddles are 13 years old and the cheapest ones REI sells. Should I keep trying to salvage them or just move on?

For the stuck one, try some kind of penetrant. Kroil, PB Blaster, even WD40 maybe? Let it soak in for a while like overnight.

For the one that don’t go together, make sure both the male and female sections are round. Otherwise sand it some more, both sections. Grease it, too, or when you get it together you’ll have two paddles that are one piece.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

VideoGameVet posted:

That's the folding corrugated plastic one? Did it ever break?

(those look cool)

Yup! Same stuff mail crates are made out of, even looks the same after you beat it to hell and back.

Honestly it was a really great boat and handled quite nicely! My chief complaint was that I’m too big to gracefully get in and out of the thing, and I felt like the zippers holding the top together would eventually wear out. Plus the folding up for transport thing actually turned out to be a drawback for me - I couldn’t strap it to the roof rack, which meant it took up valuable room inside the car for car camping.

Hence my desire to get a Tupelo, which I may have a lead on!

Bought one at Delaware Paddlesports. Next day I get a text from a rep there saying they won’t ship and will only sell local (even though I paid 200$ for shipping), and canceled my order.

So I called Jackson Kayak and tl;dr their orders are basically filled till late fall. However the rep I spoke with was super helpful and gave me some numbers for local shops since their find a dealer page is broken. Called the local shops and they didn’t have any Tupelos on upcoming orders for awhile. But the Jackson rep told me a lot of their stock goes to a local dealer down in Tennessee, Caney Fork, so I called them up and arranged a local pickup for one later this month! Figure I’ll just make a whole trip out of it :D

Which, assuming this order doesn’t get canceled too, means I’ll need a new paddle, J-Hooks, and storage.

On a 29” boat, I’d want a 230cm paddle for a 6’4” guy, right?

Previously had a carlisle Magic Plus paddle I really liked. But then I sold it with the boat like an idiot. Would a no [url=https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TQCGPG6/]name Chinese Paddle work okay?

And does anyone have any j hook recommendations or vertical storage ideas for a crowded garage?

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
I have a single car garage, 3 bikes, lots of shelving and park a car in there so I was in a similar pickle when I came home with my 16.5 foot canoe. Ended up with a suspended sawhorse between my car and garage door.

Inside end hangs from the ceiling with a 2x4, some screw eyes and cord.
Other end can't hang from the ceiling obviously (garage door) so I got a longer piece of 2x4 and a shelf bracket.

Pretty easy to load. Just slip the nose into the sling, then heave the tail up onto the rear support. Could probably put a hinge on the rear plank to make it even easier.

Not sure if that's at all useful since I think kayaks are generally more flexible in the ways you can store them, but thought I'd share because I'm proud of my solution and it makes me feel clever / handy :cheers:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

charliebravo77 posted:

Fat guy here, look at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 posted above.
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

If you want something a little smaller and a lot cheaper, I just picked up an Ascend H10. Kinda hybrid, seats like a regular kayak but big open cockpit more canoe style so if you're absurdly tall like I am getting in and out is more reasonable. Floats up to 400lbs.

You have to keep checking at odd hours because BassPro's weird about when they add stock, but I got it for $650 shipped to my nearest store for pickup for free.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/ascend-h10-sit-in-hybrid-kayak-titanium

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jun 4, 2021

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
What are your must haves for accessories and safety gear on your kayaks?

I have an alpacka pack raft on order and 0 kayaking experience so I have a lot to learn before it arrives.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think MUST haves probably depend on federal or state laws.
In Ontario, or maybe its Canada wide I need on my Canoe, the first 5 items in the list on this page as well as the flashlight listed further down.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/mandatory-safety-equipment

Math You
Oct 27, 2010

So put your faith
in more than steel
Whatever you do, don't buy the cheapo orange fox kits. Some of those kits might make your craft legal but I don't want to be stuck unscrewing a lid and purging a bunch of loose safety equipment into my boat in order to bail. I especially don't want to do that in a rescue situation, and then have to throw the piece of poo poo rope that's included.

I got myself a northwater 4-bailer this year and it's an infinite improvement. For one, it doesn't bang around my canoe all day and deafen me on portages. It sits in front of me all day on my thwart immediately usable as a throw bag, bailer or signaling device.
They have other options without the bailer attachment which would probably be useless in a kayak. You're probably better off with a sponge or pump.

Other super important attachments: little bungee loop thingies to lash your paddles together / to your craft

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Demon_Corsair posted:

What are your must haves for accessories and safety gear on your kayaks?

I have an alpacka pack raft on order and 0 kayaking experience so I have a lot to learn before it arrives.

PFD, a high quality one
Fox 40 whistle, always accessible on the PFD
headlamp
25' of strong line, like paracord, 1/2-1" webbing, plus a couple carabiners
throw bag
if in a kayak or bucket boat, a big sponge or bailer

That's my minimum for any boat I'm in/on. The bigger/heavier the boat, the stronger and longer the line.
What kind of paddling are you going to be doing?

Arkhamina
Mar 30, 2008

Arkham Whore.
Fallen Rib
Rented a canoe at an outfitters on the Kickapoo River today. Heavy freaking tank of a plastic body, two beat to poo poo oars, $40. Realize now why - the water is so low, grinding against gravel was pretty regular. Had a good time and went about 8 miles, in 90F (31C) heat.

Would love links to any great YouTube resources on steering. I realize, almost all my canoe time is with experienced friends/family in back, and me playing the part of dumb muscle. We cut a fine figure, zig zagging like nuts, and ended up ramming a tree snag once, 'unhorsing' my boyfriend from his seat as we both used our oars to slow the crash. Thankfully, didn't dump, the tank kept tanking, and no one witnessed our comedy lack of skills.

(I assumed because his parents have a canoe, he would know how. Now he tells me, he never has actually been in one as an adult) "I have been in a rowboat" he says...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

PFD, a high quality one
Fox 40 whistle, always accessible on the PFD
headlamp
25' of strong line, like paracord, 1/2-1" webbing, plus a couple carabiners
throw bag
if in a kayak or bucket boat, a big sponge or bailer

That's my minimum for any boat I'm in/on. The bigger/heavier the boat, the stronger and longer the line.
What kind of paddling are you going to be doing?

Exactly this. Big sponge over bailer unless you're going to be in surf, because kayaks are a bitch to actually bail and don't generally fill up much on flat water.