Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

hey anyone want a free wilderness?

i found this while hiking around a local cove yesterday, its still tethered to the old floating dock

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Jul 17, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

charity rereg posted:

It is an extremely high poverty area with the usual issues, and could have been prevented by me hiding my bag. That said we constantly walked away from various gear/camps in towns and it went fine until it didn't. In the end we did not have time to finish given the ~5-6 weeks I had from work due to an earlier bout of my partner getting food poisoning in NY, but yeah it was an absolutely incredible trip. We hitched/walked a long way to a Walmart and I restocked what I could via that, local shopping, & amazon prime to a kindly business in town.

I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't really get anything. The backpack was decent but just a dick's sports brand, my tent was expensive but you wouldn't know it (it's a cottage manufacturer) and had been slept in for 5 weeks in its 3rd year of full time service. sleeping bag was a few seasons old and getting tossed after this trip, also slept in for 5 weeks. i had a gps tracker (it was off as we were following a road) but that can't be used as it's linked to my ID, etc. CCs weren't even used. I just wanted my goddamn glasses.

yea people unfamiliar with northern new england are always surprised by some of the poverty you find in the northwoods. Opioids are a major issue up there too (not that they arent in most of the country, but its especially notable in a small relatively rural state like NH)

that really sucks about the end of your trip but man, that route sounds absolutely gorgeous. It's a life goal of mine to do the length of the Connecticut from source to sound one day

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

mcmaken6 posted:

I really like canoeing on streams and rivers, but I always use a livery. I have thought about getting my own for a bit, but I just don't understand how it would work...like, if you park your car, push the canoe into the water, enjoy your trip downstream.....how do you get back to the car?

This is probably a really dumb question, but I honestly can't figure it out.

...you paddle back to your car

this can be an issue if youre in a river or tidal zone with a strong current, so you try to plan your trip to take advantage of the tides if possible, but its usually pretty easy to plan. alternately you have a buddy leave a car at your end point, hide the boats and get a ride back to your car