Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

lamentable dustman posted:

So I've been meaning to buy a kayak for years because whenever I rent one I have a blast, any suggestions? I live in Charleston SC so it will primarily used in marshland and intra-coastal water but I wouldn't mind being able to go into the harbor (at least on the edges) or even ocean water. I'm thinking a sit on top would probably work best for me.

The option to fish off of it would be nice as well.

My best friend and I bought our first kayaks together in late May. I'm pretty much a kayak newbie, but I had similar desires as you. I bought a Crescent Lite Tackle, and my friend got a Crescent Ultra Lite. We've been loving them so far.

ZarathustraFollower posted:

Speaking of buying a kayak....how do you do it right now?

Like, everywhere is sold out, sun dolphin went out of business I thought, and from what little I've read the plastics come from overseas so even the US manufacturers arent making much right now.

I've been wanting to buy one, but literally can't find any in stock that arent 1. over $1k, 2. Lifetime walmart specials, or 3. Those fold-able or inflatable ones.

it suckssss

It's pretty difficult right now, but you can probably order some and wait for them to be restocked. Otherwise, you might have to wait and snipe a local dealer right after they receive a shipment.

I'm in a FB group for Crescent kayak owners, but there's a lot of people in there similarly trying to get their hands on boats but everywhere is sold out. The company is still actively making and shipping new kayaks, they're just behind and demand is really high, so I'd imagine other companies would be in a similar state.

Samadhi posted:

post ur tits boats

Delta 14, Yakima roof rack with the Jaylow mounts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Syano posted:

Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

I just bought a fishing kayak as my first kayak, and I have no immediate intentions to actually fish on it. For me, it just had a lot of qualities I really wanted in a kayak:

- Sit on top
- It tracks well and is still fairly fast
- Holds a lot of weight and cargo
- Lots of options for accessories and customization
- I can (theoretically) do stand-up paddling
- Nicer seat
- And, personally, I think fishing ones just look cooler.

They can definitely function perfectly fine outside of actually fishing, just compare features and figure out the things you really want out of kayak.

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker
Finally made it out to a river yesterday for some kayaking. It was a really nice day, and it was really pretty seeing all of the trees and such without any leaves; we could see much further into to woods on both sides.

Plus, this was a great opportunity for me to play around with my GoPro!

https://i.imgur.com/T79LoTV.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/M8DucWN.gifv
https://i.imgur.com/kTWcUxy.gifv

pseudorandom fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jan 3, 2021

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy. I'm 300lbs and getting lower. We are fortunate as we have a lake right next to us and a very active SUP group. Last year my lady got a board and we got our kids boards as well. I just did not enjoy using a SUP board and never felt comfortable.
I used a sit in Kayak a few times and found it a lot easier to use. Sure I tipped a few times but enjoyed figuring it out

Doing various research, I think I'd like to go with a sit on top kayak. We have our lake, we hit up rivers and at least one yearly trip out for some time on the ocean.
I am eyeing the Pescador 12.0. While it is more of a fishing kayak, reviews seem relatively glowing.
Are there other makes or models I should be checking out?

I don't have much kayak experience, but I'm very happy with my Crescent LiteTackle. It's also labeled as a fishing kayak, but I got it for recreational paddling because I'm 250lbs, so I wanted something that could easily handle my weight plus extra cargo. Crescent also just came out with the CK1, which is a little smaller, but also has a nice 400lb weight capacity (compared to the LiteTackle's 450lbs).

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Math You posted:

Twist the strap to stop the flap! Put two twists in the strap below the hull and above the door frame before tightening down and it will stop the dreaded hum.

Wait, the straps are the things causing the eerie, ghostly whistle/hum? This whole time I was thinking it was the open cargo hatch on the kayak doing that. :aaaaa:

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

Math You posted:

Strap flap is a very distinctive (violent) noise and I find is most prone to happen when you go through the car. If the strap is nice and flush to your boat and bars it's less likely to happen.

Your description sounds different. Watch this and you'll be able to tell in about 5 seconds if that's what you are experiencing.

https://youtu.be/eIFi_jTvo68

That's a pretty good demonstration of how it sounds and how much a simple twist corrects it.

Hmmm, its similar, but not as deep. It might be because the straps are shorter, only the width of the kayak; or, it might still be the open hole in the kayak itself. Mine sounds a bit more like the sound you make if you blow over the top of a soda bottle, which I guess might suggest it's the latter case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudorandom
Jun 16, 2010

Yam Slacker

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

Is there a go-to recommendation for a roller so one person can easily maneuver a single kayak to shore without carrying it?

I don't have a recommendation, but do have a word of warning.

It sounds like you already want to buy one, but I still want to say this for you or anyone else reading this: Be careful falling for the tempting siren song of building one of the DIY kayak carts. I did that. It turned out fine. But, for a "$20 DIY Cart", I ended up spending probably an extra $100 on tools and whatnot. Unless you have the tools already, or are planning to buy those tools, beware that you could easily spend the same amount of money doing DIY as just buying one that's probably better anyway.