Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I also own a skinny lightweight floaty thing.
Its a 2001 model Swift Kipawa. In some sort of carbon fibre type material. Its an "ultralight" or whatever passed for ultralight 20 some years ago.

I've been lazy as hell the last few years but here are some pictures from back in the day when I wasn't so lazy(2015).

Fuckin Imgur is being fucky, so this is all you get for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

its all nice on rice posted:

What roof racks do you have? I've also got a corolla, and this foam blocks only work so well.

It's a Yakima. Got it on the way home from the dealer when I picked up the car. Only complaint is that the silicone or rubber or whatever pads seem to have gotten kinda gooey and sticky. Sometimes get a bit of residue the n the paint and on my hands.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I think MUST haves probably depend on federal or state laws.
In Ontario, or maybe its Canada wide I need on my Canoe, the first 5 items in the list on this page as well as the flashlight listed further down.
https://tc.canada.ca/en/marine-transportation/marine-safety/mandatory-safety-equipment

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

My strap flap sounded like a buzzing noise.

I only ever encountered it on my old Mazda, where I put the middle strap inside the front doors, around the B pillar and outside the back doors. I usually remedied it by wrapping a bit of electrical tape between the strap runs on the passenger side.

Never had it happen on my Corolla. I'd strap it the same way but around the roof rack bars rather than the B pillars.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

One of my old college instructors done wrote some stuff about how to make portaging slightly more bearable.

https://paddlingmag.com/skills/15-t...4-89720021&ct=t(ptw-2021-12-16)&fbclid=IwAR0CkxMr8Q0J11ULpttWATa8KlFji7edQUPBFXMgTIZ_l_oUzkBQN9iv0tU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Probably yes, but when I click on my link it also works fine.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

ihop posted:

A really loud whistle is pretty standard safety equipment.

And a way to tether it to your pfd.

Also a dry bag would be useful for keeping poo poo dry, and also if "inflated" could also be used as another flotation device in an emergency.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Citizen Z posted:

I worry about the weight of 2 kayaks on one of those panoramic sunroofs.

What car?

Does Yakima or thule have anything available?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

On one of my old cars I had a tie down on one side but not the other

I went to an exhaust shop showed them what I wanted and they welded a loop of exhaust hanger which was about a half inch diameter round bar curled in to a loop on the other side.

Cost me about 30 bucks.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Anybody have experience with paddle-in camping? My wife and I live in Michigan and there’s obviously a ton of water here. We’ve been waffling back and forth on getting kayaks vs a canoe, so I figured I’d ask here. The specifics I’ve been wondering about are as follows:

Have you camped using your canoe or kayak? What model/design did you use?

Were there any obvious benefits to your setup?

If anyone’s had experience with both, did you have a preference?

Which would be more cost effective?

What is the thread’s opinion on ideal lengths for this type of use? (Weekend multi-day paddle-in camping, all items are brought on boat)

We will certainly need to portage at various times, so weight and strength are obvious factors. We wouldn’t do any ocean level paddling, but could cover some big lake shorelines, depending on weather and conditions. If there’s any designs that are also convenient for day-use River paddles, I’d love to hear that as well.

Thanks thread.

Canoe: Various models/designs, from 16to 18 feet.

Benefits: Lots of space for all your crap. Most of the time you can just toss whatever pack in wherever and not have to worry too much about it.

Don't know much about Kayak camping, but seems like much much less room for storage, though its much less likely to get wet in the rain as most of the kayaks I've seen have stuff stored under water tight hatches.
Someone who is more experienced with kayak camping will probably chime in, and give you more pros and cons.

Canoes, are open. You can put a tarp over your stuff, but thats one more step you have to deal with. THough you should probably have a tarp anyway, since you don't want to be stuck inside a tent if it happens to rain for like 3 days or whatever on your trip.

Don't know which would be more cost effective. I haven't looked for a long time, but Kayaks (dependent on brand, length and a bunch of factors) are typically cheaper than canoes, but then you need two of them if there are two of you going, or a tandem kayak which is more expensive.

Most canoes that you'll find for tripping are somewhere between 16-20 feet. 20 feet is pretty big and might be overkill for two people unless they're going out for a month and carrying all food and everything. Like you're not planning to eat fish that you catch (for example) but rather bringing all food etc... Or you're bringing 3 people. 2 adults and a kid or something.

Most rental places that I've found typically rent between 16-18 footers. Thats usually enough for a week long trip. Otherwise, you'll maybe need to decide what type of paddling you're doing. Mostly lakes and open(ish) water? A longer canoe will be more suitable. Rivers, winding creeks and the like, you might be better off with a shorter canoe. That being said, you can do either with either. Shorter canoes are usually lighter though, depending on what they're made of so if you're going to portage then you'll thank yourself for getting a lighter canoe.

If you're buying a canoe that you plan to portage GET THE LIGHTEST CANOE YOU CAN POSSIBLY AFFORD WITHIN YOUR BUDGET.

And a good, contoured yoke. Seriously you will thank yourself every time you portage that poo poo. And carry it from your car to the put in, and back to the car after, and from your car to the backyard/garage/wherever you store it.

There might be some pretty exotic poo poo these days, but back when I bought my (used, former rental) canoe, carbon fibre was the shiznit for being the lightest.
Despite what people say, yeah its delicate, but its not *that* delicate. Don't ever stand in a canoe when its on dry land as that will gently caress it up, cracks and the like.
Unless its an aluminum canoe, but you're not buying one of those to portage right?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Not trying to tell you how to live your life, but you may want to find out if Canoeing and drinking is legal where you are.
Canoeing while drunk can be dangerous. Canoeing while having a beer? Eh, I'm not going to say poo poo. But around here (Ontario) the cops can suspend your driver's license for that poo poo. If you ain't got a car (as you mentioned) or a driver's license, then maybe that doesn't matter, but they can probably still give you fines and poo poo.

Actually, I think if you get a DUI (while driving) here you can't operate a boat either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

I've put a 16.5' canoe on top of my Corolla multiple times.
Just make sure you secure it properly to both the rack and the front and rear tie downs.