Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

hi canoe thread, last year i canoed 450 miles across the northeast until my poo poo was stolen in rural vermont and there was no canoe thread, glad to see you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

id say it really depends on the craft and conditions, but it seems like it would be way more worth it on a kayak. have you looked at these yet? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nI1bBhN_nLc

i looked at them before our trip as a joke/lark because we crossed a ton of huge open water but didn't jump.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Luvcow posted:

backstory if you have the time and are willing to share

Another goon friend and I attempted the Northern Forest Canoe Trail last year in a Kevlar Winonah Escape 17'6" - we made it up to Island Pond VT when I got my stuff stolen (we were doing a 90 mile section of upstream paddling after crossing Lake Champlain into VT). We started in Old Forge NY, went through the fulton chain of lakes, down the racquette river into saranac, then out the saranac river up to Champlain.

We crossed an international border and canoed into and out of Quebec, portaged probably over 75 miles, only did 1 double carry on the entire trip, and after my stuff got stolen we turned south and came home on the Connecticut River until we met up with a family friend in southern VT and went home where I was instantly almost fired from my job. Due to the way it ended I have had some really weird feelings about it and haven't really talked about it, and also didn't write enough things down when it was fresh.

The stuff got stolen when we took the boat out because we couldn't paddle against the current anymore and we kinda stupidly walked the packs up to the road & scouted, then came back for the boat. In the 5-10 min we were gone someone drove up the shoulder of the rode and stole (only my) pack including my glasses, money, cards, passport, and probably $900 in gear.

We camped every night on either some designated sites, shelters, and open camping along the trail or just... you know, wherever. If you ever want to feel strong as hell I recommend canoeing and portaging in the summer heat for 5 weeks. We are obviously going to try it again as soon as we can but that'll be a bit, as I said work almost fired me for being the victim of a crime and it was a really weird/sore/therapy worthy subject for me for a while.

I am now happy to talk about literally any of it but its a very personal sort of experience so not sure what people would be interested in knowing :)

I do a lot of hiking as well and really am not an expert canoeist but now I would happily call myself intermediate. Oh also we sat in the same seats on the boat for the entire trip, no swapping.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jul 20, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Also yeah just get a Sunfish

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Luvcow posted:

sorry that happened to you, especially in vermont which always seems like such a "nice" state. the trip sounds awesome though.

It is an extremely high poverty area with the usual issues, and could have been prevented by me hiding my bag. That said we constantly walked away from various gear/camps in towns and it went fine until it didn't. In the end we did not have time to finish given the ~5-6 weeks I had from work due to an earlier bout of my partner getting food poisoning in NY, but yeah it was an absolutely incredible trip. We hitched/walked a long way to a Walmart and I restocked what I could via that, local shopping, & amazon prime to a kindly business in town.

I'm mostly annoyed that they didn't really get anything. The backpack was decent but just a dick's sports brand, my tent was expensive but you wouldn't know it (it's a cottage manufacturer) and had been slept in for 5 weeks in its 3rd year of full time service. sleeping bag was a few seasons old and getting tossed after this trip, also slept in for 5 weeks. i had a gps tracker (it was off as we were following a road) but that can't be used as it's linked to my ID, etc. CCs weren't even used. I just wanted my goddamn glasses.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Jump King posted:

That's garbage.

What other canoe trails have you done? I'm assuming that you didn't just start with that one.

Heck yeah I did :) I had done the first 90 miles (it mirrors much of the adirondack 90 miler at the start) over a few days with this and another friend, but otherwise the longest trail i've done in one go was the NY section of the AT. I'd spent 5 days in a canoe before we set out, and it was a few years back. Great way to beat yourself into shape.

If we do it again I remain torn on the boat. The weight of the kevlar was awesome for the portages (we built a cart) however it made us have to portage a lot more around some fairly tame rapids.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

prom candy posted:

That looks like a super cool trip

Yeah that looks awesome, I want to take my boat out (or rent) in a more urban setting. I've actually never kayaked either.

Though the cyclist in me is :ohdear: at the nice boat locked with just a cable lock

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

The used canoe/kayak market is EXCEPTIONALLY regional. It's also one of those weird markets where there aren't a lot of people buying, but there also aren't a lot of people selling. For us when we bought a Kevlar touring canoe... our options were limited, and we still had to drive like 4-5 hours round trip to pick it up.

I was constantly killed by how fragile our boat was for such a long trip but my god with two strong paddlers we were fast and pretty drat maneuverable. We'd come up on people in rentals or just tooling around and rip past them and it was always cool. We generally travel light and I feel people treat canoe trips like car camping & make themselves needlessly miserable.

We also had CF paddles on the trip with a big honkin cheap plastic paddle as our spare, we also used it as a pole/line and even to push off rocks.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 23, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

HappyHippo posted:

But what if I want to bring a ton of beer and a good chair on my camping trip and there's no portage? I'm the opposite of miserable!

I don't actually know what "no portage" means but it sounds fun :v: But yes then go nuts and sink the boats with booze IMO

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

One of the things we were going to do on our trip was take a day up in Maine & do acid in the wilderness but it was in the stolen bag so we never got around to it.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I may wind up being the old man on this but if everyone is under 10 and nobody is a particularly proven paddler I would not recommend more than 1 child per 1 adult to start out anyway.

also in general i'm not sure on the fishing side but if you want "boat to hold multiple people and supplies" I feel like a canoe is a much better starting point. I'd go for width and stability and consider keeping the kids on "fight the wind" duty or even consider getting anchors off the bow and stern

https://bendingbranches.com/node/161

I am definitely a "the only tool you have is a canoe, every problem looks canoe shaped" guy for sure but goddamn I just love them

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

HappyHippo posted:

Oh I think it's a Canadian term. It's basically when you have to carry your canoe over land for a bit to get from one lake/river to another. If your camping trip involves a portage then you have to pack a lot lighter.

I meant the opposite, I've never in my life not had massive portages, I mostly canoe in the adirondacks and northeast. We did an uphill 7.5 mile historic portage called the "grand portage" in Quebec. I portaged across an international land border, through a few miles of muck in the heat of mosquito & fly season. We built our own cart out of lumber and pieces of an old golf club carrying cart and wheels from a knee cart. It disassembled and laid flat in the boat, it owned. :)

In fact I am very likely going to get this as a tattoo at some point, but a variant w/ 2 people carrying that you see all over the trail too

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Jul 24, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

if it's not (not sure how its weighted) make sure the cart is under the center of mass, its brutal if its closer to the rear. also may find it easier to push uphill if possible. we did a LOT of walking the canoe on the cart from the back rather than pulling.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Flatland Crusoe posted:

I don’t think with elementary age kids I would be worried about having 1 adult for 2-3 kids in a canoe. I mean by time I was 10 I was running canoes, row boats and pedal boats without direct supervision. The good thing about kids that size is their weight is light enough to put more than the coast guard rating in if you add a seat and go by total weight alone. All of these assumptions also consider that the kids are comfortable around water, can swim and have PFD’s.

Um, by 10 you were doing that because you grew up doing that and learning how. Definitely not the same as a bunch of new kids. But yeah if they're in 1 boat and wearing PFDs and the kids aren't absolute morons it'll be fine.

Something like 93% of fatalities during paddle sports would have been prevented just by wearing a PFD so in calm waters ill admit there's a lot of leeway. It's also pretty warm out so that helps just in case anyone falls in.

One of the reasons for the adult rule is if someone does fall in and gets wet it's impossible to dispatch 1 adult to shore with the wet kid, etc etc.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jul 25, 2020

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

I desperately want a pack canoe but I don't live close enough to the adirondacks (not really) for it to be worth it :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

My 2 cents is that if weight is only a concern for loading/unloading the canoe... don't really make it a big concern. If you're always going with your wife unless she is disabled two adults can easily lift a canoe the way the weight is distributed. Thats paying a lot of up front and the lighter the canoe the more fragile it is in general, and more expensive to repair (often).

Canoe shopping is extremely regional so if you post your area or whatever im happy to look on CL/FB marketplace too. I'm not like ~an expert~ on every market but it really sounds like you'd do good with A Canoe, your needs are pretty chill.

Just going for something lightweight usually puts you into the enthusiast market.

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Aug 6, 2020