Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I bought a Nucanoe Frontier 12 last week. Can't fuckin wait to get it out on the water this weekend. Hopefully the weather cooperates here in Chicagoland. Now to figure out if I want to get the pedal drive, electric trolling motor, gas outboard or just paddle it. Slowly outfitting it with everything necessary to take it out on Lake Michigan once I am comfortable on it. Gonna catch hella smallmouth in the harbors and off the breakwalls hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

While it's not going to win any races paddle-only, this Nucanoe Frontier 12 rocks. I can stand and cast a fly rod or paddle, which is just super impressive coming from my old kayak. I'm like 290lbs and 5'10" and it's very stable for me. Water temps were too cold to really test its limits yesterday but I was able to stand, sit, spin around 360 on the chair and didn't feel like I was going to tip at any point.

Now I need a trailer and an electric trolling motor setup.

Can't wait for the weather to get nice. This is definitely an all-day boat, my old sit on top kayak was uncomfortable after an hour or two and was definitely not stable enough to reach behind me, let alone stand. I might experiment with setting up my tripod and camera on here to do some wildlife photography from it.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Tiny Chalupa posted:

So I'm looking into getting a kayak as a fat guy.
Are there other makes or models I should be checking out?

Fat guy here, look at the NuCanoe Frontier 12 posted above.
https://www.nucanoe.com/nucanoe-frontier/

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 22, 2021

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

VideoGameVet posted:

Dumb question.

Do any of the sit on top kayaks allow you to reverse the seat and add oarlocks?

You could probably do this with a NuCanoe. The Fusion 360 seat spins around 360 and you could probably add oar locks with the track system or to the top of the gunwale.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Luvcow posted:

I just use straps and foam. if you set them tight and right they're safe and quick.

I've hauled a very large Nucanoe from Chicago to Florida and back twice with nothing more than Sea to Summit soft racks a cut up pool noodle, paracord and some camlock straps. 70 MPH highway driving on the top of a Tacoma with bed cover and zero issues. Hard to see the soft racks but they're over the cab. It works, but the boat is heavy and I have to take all the accessories off of it to get it on there. If I don't buy a real boat soon I may just find a jet ski trailer or something to pull it on so I can keep it rigged.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I did an overnight river camping trip in WI out of my Nucanoe Frontier 12 and it was great. The other folks I went with had a big 16ft Old Town Discovery loaded to the gills and it also did fine, pros and cons to both I suppose. A big factor is what kind of sleep systems you are going to use and how long you will be out. This was just an overnight and I have ultralight backpacking gear so I just brought a 1p tent, ultralight pad and a light quilt since it was summer. It all fit with room to spare in my 30L Patagonia Stormfront. I also packed a few other odds and ends in another dry bag and clipped both to my seat so they would be secure in the unlikely event that I flipped. As this was a lazy summer trip I also packed a 58qt cooler full of ice, booze and food enough for 3 people. It was very stable and I had plenty of room for myself and more gear if I needed it. The other two folks were less ultralight minded and had a folding cot, big Coleman tent, a few bundles of firewood, I think 3 assorted coolers full of more beer and food and maybe some other stuff. It was sorta hard to paddle at one point after things had been unpacked and repacked but a stop to redistribute weight solved it for the most part. Both did the job well but I was really happy with my setup for a solo setup with the ability to spend a few days out of the Nucanoe if I wanted to in the future. If I was bringing my wife along I could easily fit my 3p tent, another pad and quilt in. I'm not sure I could fit all that plus her in my second seat for the Nucanoe but I have a second sit on top kayak that could easily be brought as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Colonel J posted:

Hauling a kayak 600km on the highway and being confident it won't fly off my car is one of those things that made me feel like an adult who knows his poo poo.

If you know what you're doing you can get away with some somewhat sketchy poo poo too, though i don't necessarily recommend it. I used undersized soft racks and pool noodles twice to drive my Nucanoe from Chicago to Florida and back. Not ideal, but it was rock solid at highway speeds.

Upgraded to actual cross bars this year and it was just as solid with the added benefit of easier loading and unloading as well as being able to transport it right side up rigged with the seat attached.