Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I bought one of the cheap Tamarack Angler 10' sit-on-top fishing kayaks recently and pretty quickly realized that I need an anchor setup to keep me in place. I've installed the Yak Attack trolley and I've got my grapple anchor rock-rigged and my quick disconnect system all set up:

The only thing I didn't consider is how to manage 30 feet of line when the water is only a few feet deep.

Any suggestions?

edit: looking at the above picture I decided to try creating a series of loops of the excess then using an overhand knot to secure it, and a quick test shows me that it holds but is pretty easy to untie. Is there a more elegant solution that doesn't involve spending more money?

Easychair Bootson fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Sep 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Reef up all but 10 feet of your rope at the boat end, tie an inline figure eight to attach to the boat (that’s now the effective ‘end’ of the rope), and keep the excess bundled in a drawstring bag.

Oh yeah, that'll do the trick quite nicely. Thanks, amigo!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Do the Immersion Research Basic Paddle Pants and Basic Splash Jacket fit the bill for someone in the southeast US who wants to extend kayak fishing season? I'm probably looking at ambient temps around 45 and water temps a little above that (I think) as sort of the lower end of the scale of when I'd want to get out there.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

I have had good luck with inexpensive rain pants and this splash top, which looks similar to what you posted. So yeah, that stuff looks perfectly suitable. Synthetic layers underneath are key. Some booties like these help a lot when it's really too cold to be barefoot or in sandals.

I got some of those NRS Kicker Remix shoes and have been real happy with them so far. I’ve got merino base layers for days that I think will do the trick. If I can get a couple of seasons out of the cheap splash gear I’ll be happy.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Speaking of the CK1 Venture, I picked one up on Monday. It's intended to replace the Lifetime Tamarack Angler that I bought last year, although the Lifetime isn't going anywhere; it'll be a boat for friends and guests to use.

ENHANCE!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

meowmeowmeowmeow posted:

What discord is this?

This invite should be good for 7 days

https://discord.gg/hqpZgSMw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Good on you for toughing it out. Respeck.