Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Hey friends... can I get some help here. My kids and I have fallen in love with bass fishing this year. I have 3 boys all 10 and under. A bass boat really isn't in the cards because ya know they are expensive as hell and also its like impossible to find a boat that fishes more than 2 people. So I am looking into angling Kayaks. I have not yet figured out if I need a couple tandems or if I need 1 for each person or a combination and then I have no clue what brands to even look at. Can anyone shed their wisdom on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

If you all want to fish at the same time I think you might want a rowboat or even a tin boat with an outboard (I think Americans call them jon boats?) Canoe works too but you're gonna want something really stable with 3 kids all trying to fish. I've done some canoe fishing and I personally don't like it, it's hell on my back.

If it were me I'd buy a nice fishing kayak for myself, a couple of lovely beater yaks for the older boys, and maybe a tandem to take the youngest one out. Actually if it were me I'd drop the whole budget on a sick pedal drive yak for myself and let the kids fish from shore.

I think I found some canoes that may work. I did find a jon boat that has 4 fishing seats but its pricey. I am leaning right now toward your advice of getting 3 beaters for the little guys and 1 for me and just staying close to them for the time being on the lake. Now just gotta hope that someone gets something in stock in the next decade

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

How old are they? One situation that can lead to tipping your boat is if you're on boat and your kid is on another and they need your help tying a lure or getting unsnagged or something like that. Basically I don't think I'd fish with youngsters anywhere where you're not comfortable with someone going into the water, and I would put as little gear as possible into each of their boats so that if/when somebody tips it's a funny story and not a catastrophe.

Good luck finding some stock though, kayak fishing is awesome. Nothing like hooking a big one and getting pulled around!

The oldest will be 11 next month. The littlest is 8. If I go this route I'm thinking we will all stay real close together until they become competent paddlers. Either that or I guess figure out how to spend 20 grand on a jon boat that can hold us all

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

If you guys are just tootling around a small lake that you're comfortable on you might even be able to get away with kids kayaks for them. Our neighbours at the cottage have a couple, I think they're weighted for like 150lbs. Realistically if you've got an 8 year old paddling their own boat you're not gonna be able to cover a ton of water no matter how nice that boat is.

I sure appreciate the suggestions. The wife told me this weekend I should just go ahead and get a Jon boat because we would get more use out of it. I sure hope so. One that would hold all of us would be a pretty friggin huge investment. I'm leaning towards the Kayaks.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

What's your situation? Do you guys have a lake house or would you be driving around to different bodies of water to put in? With a jon boat you need a trailer and a proper boat ramp whereas with kayaks you can put in anywhere. But loading and unloading four kayaks from a car or truck will also be a pain (and that's where lighter smaller kids kayaks would help.)

We live within walking distance of a pond that we do most of our fishing in because of convenience but we live within 10 minutes of a rather large lake that if we have some sort of water craft I could see us putting in multiple times per week. The transportation and loading/unloading is a definite concern. I have a truck but I'd need to add racks and/or a trailer to use anything we invested in

Syano fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jul 27, 2020

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

gently caress it man the world is ending just buy a bass boat and a bunch of yaks.

:( yeah....

Or get rid of some kids

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Let me ask this... are fishing focused kayaks useful for anything else? Like day paddling or heading down a river?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

prom candy posted:

I'll take mine out for a paddle around the lake with my wife, it's fine but I'm sure a boat purpose-built to cover water would be a lot better. She just has an inflatable SUP and they're both fine for a lazy paddle with the dog on a calm day. It depends on what you think you're going to be doing most of the time I think. If you were looking for a mix you can definitely rig a rec kayak for fishing. This is what I was fishing out of before I bought my pescador:

I fished out of it before I had the crate and rod holders too. You only need 2 things for kayak fishing: a kayak and a fishing rod. Everything else is gravy.

Yeah makes sense... after talking about it a couple days I think we are going to do 3 yaks... 1 for each of the older boys and then a tandem for me and the younger and then we can just upgrade him when the time comes. We are going to buy a utility trailer and add racks to it for transport (unless I think I can get all 3 on a truck rack). Probably going to start looking in the next month or so to hopefully be able to get them by Christmas

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
So I've basically got a decision to make between a pair of tandem yaks for me and the 3 kiddos or a pair of canoes. The canoes seem to be more practical from a on the water perspective. More weight capacity and maybe a bit more room certainly stands out as a huge bonus. The yaks seem to stand out from a portability perspective. Should be easier to rack those things on the truck. Anyone got any strong opinions one way or the other before I pull the trigger?

EDIT: Should mention this will be primarily for fishing

Syano fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Aug 14, 2020

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Yes they are fishing Kayaks. Im eyeing specifically the Brooklyn kayaks brand fishing tandems. I can get those or a solid canoe for about the same price. Kids are not super strong yet so thats certainly an issue with loading and unloading

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Hm, those Brooklyn 12.5' fishing tandems are actually not that much lighter (68-74#) than Royalex or polyethylene canoes in the 14-16' range (75-80#). While the kayaks are still less likely to sink if there's a capsize, a 14' canoe is way more versatile in that storage space is just one giant hull, you can move around and trade seats out on the water, pee off the side, bow person can turn around in their seat and paddle the thing solo or access the middle space, you can throw a cooler or lawn chair in for a third person, handle a dog, etc etc. Plus, when it's in storage, you can put all your paddling stuff, straps, pfds, etc inside the canoe. One person can portage a canoe easier than they could a tandem sit on top kayak. There's a reason canoes are still being made and sold without many changes to their design alongside the rapid development of kayaks. I've got an Old Town Guide 150 and while it's a bit hefty at 80#, I can still do all the loading, unloading, transporting by myself and then at the lake we can just chuck all our poo poo into it plus the kid and dogs and sort things out as we go. That would be impossible with a tandem kayak of the same size and length. Plus, a canoe can hold a ridiculous amount of weight.

Maybe get one of each and return the one you don't like? Rent one of each a few times?

With regard to transport, I got sick of dealing with the canoe on the roof of the truck and got one of these and I love it. While it wouldn't do two canoes, I tossed the canoe, a solo kayak, and a paddleboard on it a couple weeks ago and it was great.

Got any opinions on the the flat bottoms vs shallow arch?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The old towns were the ones I was comparing against the Brooklyn Kayaks.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
What area of the country is that?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I wonder the same. Considering just throwing some Jon boat seats on the canoes

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
The whole Kayak vs Canoe thing is almost a moot point at the moment. Kayaks are almost non-existent at the moment. Like everywhere. Its insane

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Based on the advice in this thread to get 3 beater kayaks for the boys and a nicer one for me, I pulled the trigger this morning on 3 x 9ft Brooklyn Kayak sit-on-tops. They actually don't look too much like beaters and Brooklyn Kayak is one of the scant few places right now even accepting online orders, even though they say they are backordered 6-8 weeks. At any rate, I don't think the price of entry was too high to see if we enjoy being out on the water in yaks (how could we not) and I think they will sell easily if I need to upgrade one day. I think I'll pull the trigger on Bonafide for myself.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Anyone ever have to repair a Kayak hull? I've found a great deal on an ATAK 140 but the hull was damaged and has been repaired. Does that mean it's as good as new or will it never be the same?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I pulled the trigger for myself on a feelfree lure 13.5 v1. They are on closeout right now. Excited to get started

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Hey guys... picking up the Kayak today but I still need a pfd and a paddle. Can I get some recommendations?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Ite... I ordered a bending branches angler classic and an NRS chinook. More than I wanted to spend but the recommendation list was short

How do you guys like to pack a lunch for a day out fishing/paddling? Do you bring a cooler or just granola bars? Curious how others are handling

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Welp... flipped the yak for the first time tonight. Ive been practicing for a bit now keeping my keys/wallet/phone back in the truck so that wasnt an issue. Had my tackle lashed good and the depth was only about 5 feet so my rods stayed in their holders and I guess the tips just flexed and didnt break. It was just dogone cold. Youd think it would be hard to flip a 36 inch wide 14 foot boat but youd be wrong.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Im guessing its just physics/bad luck. I weigh about 275 and I had the fishing seat clicked up to full height, which on the feelfree lure is like 10 inches off the deck. I suppose that just having that much weight up off the center of gravity of the boat makes it easier to flip. I mean, the boat has always rocked a bit but I watched tons of videos before I bought it of guys doing crazy stuff and not being able to flip these things. I am going to have to ride with the seat lower I think

EDIT: or maybe I should get some outriggers

Syano fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 27, 2020

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Well heres a good question then. What do I need for cold water gear?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Im not sure I even know what snow is. I literally just got my boat a few weeks ago so I plan on using it all winter but the lowest the air temp gets here in the south where I am at is mid 30s on average.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I took the.boat on the big lake for the first time yesterday. Never brought the seat more than a out 4 inches off the deck and there was never really any danger of flipping. Funny how physics works. Problem now is I have no clue where the friggin fish are on the big lake

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Welp. Got the brooklyn boats in a week before Christmas and took the kids out on them today. Was awesome. Going out again tomorrow with rods searching for crappie!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Sorry for double post. Not sure exactly where to ask this. I'm trying to decide between 60 inch and 70 inch bars for the roof of my expedition for yak hauling. I'm leaning towards the 70s because 10 inches but willing to listen to input. Anyone got an opinion?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Thats what is great about Texas. I'm planning on hitting the water first thing in the morning

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Offloaded my lure 13.5 and got an SS127. TOTALLY different experience. Its amazing the difference between the boats. Should have got the SS127 last year in the beginning but I made out like a bandit on selling the Lure plus at least I proved I enjoy kayak fishing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
They are decent mid level units. Better than walmart or Academy. Feelfree customer service is usually pretty good.