Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
the Juiced RipCurrent looks a little beefier and is still in my price range; the S model has more range, and is not really in price range, but since we've never had bikes like this maybe I'll start with the 45-mile one, that's a lot further than we'll go any time soon.

sigseven posted:

This doesn't quite tick all your requirements, but since you're also interested in a Surron, it might also appeal to you: https://burromax.com/electric-mini-bike-tt1600r-lithium-ion-powered-color-white-carbon-fiber I was told by an eBike buddy it was the most fun thing at Electrify Expo.

those seem fun but I think I am just going to take this as 2 seperate problems, get bikes my spouse and i can ride this year, and think about dirtbikes of various kinds down the road.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I sold a motorcycle last year and am looking at e-bike options for my wife and I. Want to be able to ride around lovely dirty roads, eventually also with kids once they have and can ride bikes.

I have $4,000 so I am trying to keep stuff in the <$2000 a pop range, which I know is not high end, but I've seen a lot of stuff around here.

I'm more concerned with finding something I can source and have maintained locally (Burlington or Middlebury VT) than getting "the absolute best thing I could" if that means "you have to send it back to CA for any service".

We live up nasty dirt roads, and I'd prefer something that can go faster, than not. I am lazy and don't like to pedal much, my wife does like to pedal. Make/model suggestions appreciated!!

e: something not capped to 20mph is more interesting than something that is. Long term I probably also want a Surron dirtbike but that is likely not in the cards this year.

From my experience test driving bikes if you don't want to pedal you actually kind of have more options imo. It seems like a lot of the difference between some of the fancy vs less fancy ebikes is how natural their assist feels when you are pedaling.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

tildes posted:

From my experience test driving bikes if you don't want to pedal you actually kind of have more options imo. It seems like a lot of the difference between some of the fancy vs less fancy ebikes is how natural their assist feels when you are pedaling.

my partner likes to pedal but they have a special bike for that which requires the rider to pedal in order for it to move.

The Juiced Ripcurrent seems to check all the boxes and if I use their "closeout" option and accept not quite the latest battery tech I can get 2 of them with extended warranties for $2750 delivered. Seems fine, I am funding this by virtue of having sold a motorcycle last summer for $4000. Someday I might get another motorcycle, but with kids in the house I was at the point where every ride was "WHY AM I DOING THIS?!"

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
Aventon makes good bikes in that price range. There's also the Lectric Xpremium.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

acidx posted:

Aventon makes good bikes in that price range. There's also the Lectric Xpremium.

Aventon Adventure came up a bunch when I was reading about Juiced Rip Current, but even without the discount for the closeout stock on Juiced, it's slightly more expensive for a bit less power and slightly more weight. xpremium looks cool, but I want something with bigger wheels up here.

edit: the wheel difference isn't as much as I thought, and the xpremium is both more powerful and on a holiday sale. hmm

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jan 6, 2023

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

poo poo, I can't figure out of if we want fat tire or not. actual e mountainbikes are 2-3x what i want to spend but also we don't want to do hardcore mountain stuff, it's just that we live miles and miles up dirt roads.

I've read some contentions that fat tire is only useful in snow or sand, but every one of these things that's sold for trail use in the 1500-2k range is fat tire. but Aventon Level 2 is 10 lbs lighter than Adventure, why aren't 2" mountain bike tires good enough for trail use? they sure are on our cheap rear end Schwinn pedal hybrids.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

poo poo, I can't figure out of if we want fat tire or not. actual e mountainbikes are 2-3x what i want to spend but also we don't want to do hardcore mountain stuff, it's just that we live miles and miles up dirt roads.

I've read some contentions that fat tire is only useful in snow or sand, but every one of these things that's sold for trail use in the 1500-2k range is fat tire. but Aventon Level 2 is 10 lbs lighter than Adventure, why aren't 2" mountain bike tires good enough for trail use? they sure are on our cheap rear end Schwinn pedal hybrids.

Fat tires will work fine on any surface. Any issues people have can usually be corrected by adjusting the tire pressure. On loose surfaces like snow, you want the pressure low to get more grip, and on hard surfaces like pavement, you want the tire pressure up high, or the bike can start to "self-steer" and feel unstable. You see a lot of 3-4" wide tires on ebikes in that range because they add a little bit of squish to compensate for the lack of rear suspension, and ebikes are largely marketed towards people who are getting older and want a more upright, comfortable ride. Plus it gives you the option to ride snow or sand without having to change out wheelsets, so they are more versatile. The main drawback is the weight and rolling resistance, but that isn't an issue if the motor has enough power.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

e: something not capped to 20mph is more interesting than something that is. Long term I probably also want a Surron dirtbike but that is likely not in the cards this year.

What is your pick on street legality? You can get 1000W motors and higher if you're not going to even bother ever putting it on a surface that a government regulates as a road or a park bike trail.

I have been recommending Bolton eBikes (I guess they're Area 13) now for people that are exurb or rural. Think cases where people could use the bike equivalent of an SUV but would look like an rear end in a top hat if used in a real urban environment. I'm using a Foxbat right now with a 1000W motor. I used to leave further out and it was great since I had to deal with 55mph roads without shoulders and stuff, but it's kind of silly now that I'm closer in to my city.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
This demo Tern GSD is discounted 25%:
https://www.perennialcycle.com/tern-gsd-s10-cargo-line-gen2-400wh-satin-black-demo.html
Kinda a bummer with only a 400Wh pack, but still a decent price.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I had some jerk yell at me for "cheating" when I rode past him on my Tern the other day and it felt like a rite of passage, much like the first time I had someone roll coal on me when I bought a Prius.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:
If I yell that at you, it's because I'm sweating my rear end off and jealous.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Xtracycle is having a sale, 1k off their 3 models that are all 5k. I’d say that’s a decent deal for bikes that aren’t that compact but otherwise have high utility.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

This demo Tern GSD is discounted 25%:
https://www.perennialcycle.com/tern-gsd-s10-cargo-line-gen2-400wh-satin-black-demo.html
Kinda a bummer with only a 400Wh pack, but still a decent price.
That's a decent price if there's nothing wrong with it. the powerpack isn't the end of the world TBH, my spouse literally never runs theirs down.

taqueso posted:

If I yell that at you, it's because I'm sweating my rear end off and jealous.
I went on a couple of social rides when the kids were very small and napped all the loving time and let me tell you everyone wants to complain until you let them draft you upwind.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

we ended up grabbing Juiced RipCurrents because the current closeout model is not very different from the current real model and with end of year discount we got both bikes for 2600 delivered, so 3k with a trailer hitch for 2 fat tire bikes.

I've watched a bunch of videos and read a lot, I think I understand most of the deal with Befaco engines and hubs, I don't expect these to be real hard core things capable of serious off roading, but if we really like them I could see getting electric mountain bikes that cost 3-4x as a much, eventually, when other costs like daycare have gone away.

Question: even though I know from videos that this bike handles snow fine, is it really likely that the stock tires do? I figure I will slip around our driveway a bit to see once we get them put together, but tire recs for snow, and gravel/dirt, would be appreciated. We're like 3 miles up dirt and gravel to get to pavement.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

What is your pick on street legality? You can get 1000W motors and higher if you're not going to even bother ever putting it on a surface that a government regulates as a road or a park bike trail.

I have been recommending Bolton eBikes (I guess they're Area 13) now for people that are exurb or rural. Think cases where people could use the bike equivalent of an SUV but would look like an rear end in a top hat if used in a real urban environment. I'm using a Foxbat right now with a 1000W motor. I used to leave further out and it was great since I had to deal with 55mph roads without shoulders and stuff, but it's kind of silly now that I'm closer in to my city.

My spouse would like something we can ride to and through town together. On the other hand, this being Vermont, none of that is really likely to matter -- I spent a year driving a motorcycle around with a busted plate holder, and the plate under the seat in case I ever got pulled over. Never did, never got a ticket for being parked without a plate, and no one really bats an eye at 2 wheeled vehicles of any sorts doing whatever once you get outside of town proper.

Bolton bikes look cool, nicer, and maybe a thing we'd consider if we outgrow these. The lower end model that gets into JuicedBike range is a 750w Bafang, same as the RipCurrent.

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jan 18, 2023

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Just picked up a Magnum e-bikes Nomad this week! https://electricbikereview.com/magnum/nomad/

Have just taken it for a quick walk but I'm surprised at how quick it travels even on the lowest power sitting. Of course I got to excited and tried to just plow through a snow drift with it, scratching it all up and breaking a cable but it was still a blast!

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

He'll yeah new bike day! Post pictures!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BaseballPCHiker posted:

breaking a cable but it was still a blast!

Which cable? Now’s a good time as any for learning basic repairs of you aren’t familiar.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

He'll yeah new bike day! Post pictures!

I will once we assemble them! Doesn't seem bad, watched videos, but it might wait until the weekend because work and kids and other such poo poo. Also we're about to get a ton of snow which means skiing. But, I do need to get them together and tested ASAP because the 30-day no hassle window is ticking.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Here is an extremely crappy picture:

Ordered another light, a helmet, and a side rearview mirror and some additional reflectors. Still gotta get studded snow tires and a chain plus an apple airtag before I ride anywhere and leave it locked. Only had about a mile on it but have really stupidly enjoyed it so far.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

OK and also tell me more about that car :allears:

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Its a running! 1973 Triumph GT6.

I need to replace the passenger side door handle now, work on restoring the interior and eventually replace the clutch which is a bit touchy. But it runs and is fun in the summer!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Still gotta get studded snow tires
What's the market like for those in your dimension? Last time I bought a bike I ended up deciding against a fat bike since studs were like 200+ euros each for them.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Looks like theyre about $150 a pop for studded fat tires. But I live in Northern Minnesota. Its winter here for 5 months out of the year.

EDIT: A question. I am not a bike guy, or hadn't been up to this point, but am moderately mechanically skilled and inclined. Im looking for a resource to learn about the pros/cons of going tubeless on a fat bike tire and how one may do that or use various slimes or tapes that I know about in name only. Anyone have any recommendations on what to read to learn this or pointers on tires like this in general?

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 19, 2023

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Park Tool on YouTube is a really good resource for any type of installation stuff. GMBN is good as well, and will probably have some videos that are more just going over the pros and cons of going tubeless. Biggest thing I would point out ahead of time is that you're going to need wheels and tires that are compatible with going tubeless, so if you don't already have the right setup, you might have to buy a whole new wheelset.

acidx fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 20, 2023

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If there's a tire setup that I'd gamble doing unofficial tubeless on, it'd be a 10-15psi affair where I could build up the rim bed with extra tape to close the gap, and have plenty of leverage and space to pop the bead off.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

New bike day one of two, I guess! We got one together without any hassle, ran out of time for now. This is a medium for my spouse, mine will be an XL because I am a bit over 6'2", but I was able to ride this around our driveway with no problem even if the posture would probably not be good on longer rides.

Wow, totally different animal than anything I've ridden. I expected it to feel like a slow motorcycle but it seems more like a zippy pedal bike, which I guess sort of tracks.

I only got it up to the 3rd level of pedal assist (highest that doesn't unlock full throttle), but we have several inches of fresh snow and that was sufficient to led me ride as far as I felt comfortable going up a ~15-25 degree incline along one of that trails that lead to the main trails on our property. Felt quite zippy, I expect that full R mode on pavement is quite a trip. I used to ride motorcycles a bit but they were pretty slow and also on dirt around here it's often windy and I'd only be going 15-25 anyway, which these ought to be able to match with a little elbow grease.

:nice:

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZChVe_5TUE

Okay yea, super fun. That's a mile all at various uphill grades, on snow and ice, 10-20mph, super easy. I need to get extra tubes and some slime and all that poo poo before we get too carried away with ourselves, and make sure the fast-refill kit has gas cylinders.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Hey all,

I've been stuck the past week trying to decide between these 3 bikes, among others. My budget is around $1500 and I'm not planning to use it for commuting (WFH), but rather leisure in the hills and dirt trails around LA/socal: REI Coop e2.1, Ride1up Cafe Cruiser, or Lectric XP 3.0.

I'm a REI member so the e2.1 was my first choice (warranty, easy repairs, returns, etc) but seems like the motor & other components are a bit outdated at this point. Then I came across the Cafe Cruiser and Lectric 3.0, both of which have their tradeoffs (the 3.0 is foldable, has longer range w/ the extended battery, great support; the Cruiser has a cool design w/ more torque, better suspension).

Anyone have any thoughts/recommendations based on my use case? Thanks in advance!

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Get the bike that you can get serviced locally.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I've enjoyed using the Lectric XP 2.0 for commuting. Something a bit more compact would have been nice, but that'd be either much more expensive or Amazon crap. I've gotten mine serviced at the local bike shop, YMMV.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

CopperHound posted:

Get the bike that you can get serviced locally.

for me that was "none of them, unless you want a $5000+ e-MTB, or you consider it service if someone will take your hosed Bafang hub off and throw it away and install a new one, which it sounds like is every bike shop here will". Dude I know who works at one says they are accumulating a small empire of hosed Bafang hubs in their back room

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

UncleGuito posted:

REI Coop e2.1

the Cruiser has a cool design w/ more torque, better suspension).

The e2.1 has a Suntour fork. I've never heard of the brand for the Ride1up fork.
Lectric doesn't even bother giving a brand for their fork.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I just serviced my Suntour fork on my (non-e)MTB and it was so easy. I don't know what their reputation is, but my experience has been positive with a bike I've owned since 2019 and put over a thousand miles on.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I've been commuting with my Velotric e-bike for several months and it's worked out very well except for one thing: my back tire has gone flat three times already. That seems high, so I'm thinking it might be time to upgrade. Does anyone have experience with airless and/or puncture-resistant tires on e-bikes?

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Schwalbe marathon plus is the gold standard for puncture resistance and very popular among practical cyclists. Not cheap, heavy (matters little on an ebike of course), not the nicest riding tire and sort of a pain to mount/dismount are the drawbacks. They wear fairly slowly though and work really really well against punctures so I commute on them despite the negatives and I see no reason to switch after several years on them.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Unfortunately, the Velotric's tires are 26" x 2.5", and Schwalbe doesn't seem to make anything wider than 26" x 2". Thanks for the recommendation though.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Selachian posted:

Unfortunately, the Velotric's tires are 26" x 2.5", and Schwalbe doesn't seem to make anything wider than 26" x 2". Thanks for the recommendation though.

The Big Apple comes in 2.35, so effective drop would be 4mm. I think of the Big Apple as a pretty tough tire, but depends on what you have on there.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
You don't have to run the same dimensions as you have now. Going wider is limited by frame clearance and fender rub but going narrower is generally fine. It's not like 2" is skinny or anything, that's still respectably beefy for gravel and pavement. I'd hazard the most dramatic effect of running that dimension is that your bike lean angle when on the kickstand will be more upright. That being said I run the widest tires I can on my ebikes since I like it but that means skinnier tires in the winter since that's what's available with both puncture resistance and studs.

Anyways good tires are important and I hope you find something you'll be happy with.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

kimbo305 posted:

The Big Apple comes in 2.35, so effective drop would be 4mm. I think of the Big Apple as a pretty tough tire, but depends on what you have on there.

I used to run those on the bakfiets and they were pretty good. Not as puncture proof as the marathon pluses and wore out pretty fast but a nice tire IMO

Edit: there's also the Big Ben plus with greenguard so a bit tougher than the Apple at 26x2.15 that might work?

Invalido fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 9, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
My bike came with Big Apple tires, 800 miles on them so far and they seem fine, no punctures yet and I ride over broken glass and trash almost everyday.