Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Always note where the tube failure occurred, and check for aggravating/causal factors in that spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

Whelp. I think I found my problem.

So much for that brand new tube. :negative:

According to the bike's odometer, I've gone about 350 miles on these tires and the front tube. Is that considered normal? On the other hand, the tread on both tires are pretty bare so I think it may be time to replace both.

Also, any recommendations for tires?

Edward IV fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Sep 7, 2020

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
What's inside that tumor?

Try various Marathon options going all the way the Marathon Plus.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

stephenthinkpad posted:

What's inside that tumor?

Try various Marathon options going all the way the Marathon Plus.

Oh that's just the brand new inner tube trying to become an outer tube and getting chewed up by the wheel rim and exposed chords in the tire. :emo:

At least it was a slow leak so I was able to get some additional distance thanks to my hand pump. However by the time I discovered that the tube was trying to escape, I was already 12 miles into the Henry Hudson Trail and the leak had gotten so bad that I could barely go for a mile after pumping to at least 40 psi so I had to call in my roommate again to pick me up. At least this time I was able to get some good distance. I only got 3 miles before the tube literally popped when I rode on the trail on Saturday. Left a nice big old hole that probably can't be patched.

I think combination of age, high loads on the rear wheel, and all those loving roots creating these nasty, sharp speed bumps in the pavement (especially the sections in Belford and Leonardo) is probably killed the tire this time around.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
so i bought my girlfriend a townie go. not the fancy bosch one, just the $1500 hydrive rear hub motor. but hey it's electra so we can get service from trek shops no problem. she LOVES it. we have ridden together every day since she got it a week ago. she has some hip and groin injuries, and the step through frame, low riding position, and motor assist really help her. it's not the most sporty bike for riding up in the hills, but even i had fun riding the thing back from the store. we got the last one they had. it's such an equalizer, now cycling really is for everyone. EBIKES!!!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
My mom who is near her seventies is interested in riding with me but she doesn't know how to ride a bike. Any suggestions for an e-trike? I don't go particularly fast on normal rides without e-assist and it is a bit hilly in my area of Austin.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

aldantefax posted:

My mom who is near her seventies is interested in riding with me but she doesn't know how to ride a bike. Any suggestions for an e-trike? I don't go particularly fast on normal rides without e-assist and it is a bit hilly in my area of Austin.

We have an Evelo Compass. My wife wanted that one as a pickup truck trike. It can support over 200 pounds of fatass sitting in the back, but the suspension was the deciding factor. If a trike's rear wheels can't move raise/lower independently, then it can flip the trike going around a curb in a tight turn turn. I don't know what kind of suspension it actually has but my wife saw it demonstrated in some video; it's not readily coming up in text searches.

That particular model has a downside with the transmission. It just has three gears and you don't contribute much by pedaling for any of them--at least zooming around 15+ mph. I'm afraid to adjust those three gears because they're pretty necessary to move it if the battery's totally dead.

There's a general downside to trikes: you can't shift your body on them to fine tune your steering. It's something you take for granted until you hop on, try to gently swerve around something, and wind up going straight into whatever you're avoiding. It all has to be done through the wheel. Leaning just gets absorbed into the rear wheels.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
A pair of training wheels is a lot cheaper and take up a lot less space than a trike.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you love your mom $7k worth, get her the Butchers & Bicycles MK1-E: https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/mk1e-touring

It tilts, so you get some maneuverability back!

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

There's a general downside to trikes: you can't shift your body on them to fine tune your steering. It's something you take for granted until you hop on, try to gently swerve around something, and wind up going straight into whatever you're avoiding. It all has to be done through the wheel. Leaning just gets absorbed into the rear wheels.
Leaning much at all is counterproductive because you just end up tilting to the outside of the turn, with your seatpost acting a nice long lever. Non-recumbent trikes are loving death traps when ridden at anything but jogging pace IMO.

stephenthinkpad posted:

A pair of training wheels is a lot cheaper and take up a lot less space than a trike.
NEIN

Safety Dance posted:

If you love your mom $7k worth, get her the Butchers & Bicycles MK1-E: https://www.butchersandbicycles.com/mk1e-touring
It tilts, so you get some maneuverability back!
These are really fun but you've gotta be real careful of max lean angle. It's really easy to overcook a turn, run out of lean and over-steer into oblivion after you hit the bumpstop.
They do make great powerslides in the snow.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Hello e-bike thread!

I’ve been considering getting a newer RadWagon for daycare drop-offs and grocery runs around East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland). I would consider something nicer but I’d be concerned about parking it in my building’s bike room.

My main concern is actually this—our bike room is down a short series of steps (~2.5 feet total over three steps). Is it foolish to consider moving any of these 70+ lbs bikes up and down a short set of steps or would I hate myself after a few days? There aren’t really other storage options here since anything parked outside would be gone within a day.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I don't know RadWagon specifics but the thumb assist should make that easy in general. The first time you try might be a rite of passage though as it tries to tear off.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i think the radwagon has a twist grip throttle so you can power it up the stairs. my bosch ebike has a walk assist mode but it doesn't do much. imo you should be fine, if you can lift the front wheel up the stairs then you can pull the bike the rest of the way without having to really lift all of it. if it's still too hard, get a sheet of plywood and make a little ramp to keep in the bike room.

word of caution on bike rooms though. i don't keep my ebike (or my girlfriend's) in our bike room. mine is in a private storage room, hers is in the apartment. because the bike room is not locked, it doesn't have anything in there to secure the bike to, and if someone knew where it was and got in the front door, they could walk out with the bike no problem. there have been a bunch of thefts from bike rooms just like that on the peninsula where i live. can't imagine it is any better in oakland. make sure your bike is safe in there!

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Thanks for the advice! I am reasonably strong, but wanted a sanity check on whether this was doable. Glad to hear it might be possible.

I think I may be able to go actually (literally) pick one up next week to see how the weight handles in this situation, as somebody we know through daycare has the current version and will let me take it for a test ride next week. That is, assuming we emerge from this ashen hellworld and I can go outside again.

Our bike room actually got some security enhancements recently—it’s behind a separately keyed door and has wall mounts for locking bikes up inside it. That said, there’s just a constant parade of people trying to break into our building or steal packages.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

marmot25 posted:

Hello e-bike thread!

I’ve been considering getting a newer RadWagon for daycare drop-offs and grocery runs around East Bay (Berkeley/Oakland). I would consider something nicer but I’d be concerned about parking it in my building’s bike room.

Also check out the Blix Packa. It's about the same price but its has a factory 2nd battery option for $300 more.

quote:

My main concern is actually this—our bike room is down a short series of steps (~2.5 feet total over three steps). Is it foolish to consider moving any of these 70+ lbs bikes up and down a short set of steps or would I hate myself after a few days? There aren’t really other storage options here since anything parked outside would be gone within a day.

Get a messenger bag strap to carry part of the load with your shoulder. Also remote the battery first.

Also you don't need a wagon bike for 1 child.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also check out the Blix Packa. It's about the same price but its has a factory 2nd battery option for $300 more.

Get a messenger bag strap to carry part of the load with your shoulder. Also remote the battery first.

Also you don't need a wagon bike for 1 child.

Thanks—I’ll add the Blix to my research. Strap seems like a good idea.

As far as wagon bikes go, I had initially considered getting a standard, non-ebike (belt drive hybrid) but my son is getting heavy enough that I think it would start to be unstable with him in a rear seat. As well, we have a newborn and having the longtail might be good future proofing to have a second seat on there in a year or so.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

I did a 25 mile ride up to the tippy top of Manhattan and back today. It's a really lovely ride for the most part. Absolutely beautiful day. I'm glad Summer is almost over.

There are a couple of hills right under the George Washington Bridge that, according to Stravia, top out at 13-14% grade. I was able to make it up with the assist on full blast and in 1st or 2nd gear, but just barely. Everything else was really lovely on the lowest setting.

I also forgot my helmet light the other day, but I found out that my headlight works pretty well when it's aimed properly. As a maintenance issue, my chain's starting to make a lot of noise against the chain guard. Probably needs to be tightened, and it could stand to be cleaned / lubed too. The chain guard is really good at keeping crud out but it's a been almost 400 miles.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Sep 14, 2020

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i think the radwagon has a twist grip throttle so you can power it up the stairs. my bosch ebike has a walk assist mode but it doesn't do much.
I don't know what motor you had on that bosch but if you stick our Tern GSD in a low gear and use walk assist it feels like it could creep straight up a tree.

Safety Dance posted:

I also forgot my helmet light the other day, but I found out that my headlight works pretty well when it's aimed properly. As a maintenance issue, my chain's starting to make a lot of noise against the chain guard. Probably needs to be tightened, and it could stand to be cleaned / lubed too. The chain guard is really good at keeping crud out but it's a been almost 400 miles.
Get a chain gauge if you're in there anyway. 400 miles shouldn't be enough to stretch it out but they do go faster on middrive ebikes and at least you'll get an idea of the rate.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Sep 16, 2020

SamsCola
Jun 5, 2009
Pillbug
Does anyone have insurance for the bike? If so, which provider did you choose? Turns out my condo policy doesn't cover electric bikes.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Is this the the thread were i ask about ebikes???

I am looking for two different types of 'em

1) My wife would like to use a bicycle to commute to work, she already has a regular hybrid and her work aint that far. She is interested in electric bikes and folding ones.
2) Myself i mainly use my entry level road bicycle to work out and go places, i would like something akin to a Gravel/All-road electric bike. Also i'm getting one so i dont steal my wife's.

Our combined budget is maybe 5000?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

ElMaligno posted:

1) My wife would like to use a bicycle to commute to work, she already has a regular hybrid and her work aint that far.

Can you be specific? Are you saying she might possibly do the commute on a normal bike?

FireTora
Oct 6, 2004

SamsCola posted:

Does anyone have insurance for the bike? If so, which provider did you choose? Turns out my condo policy doesn't cover electric bikes.

I had Velosurance for a year but never had to make a claim so I don't know how that end is. They're underwritten by Markel so you might be to get better rates direct from them.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

ElMaligno posted:

1) My wife would like to use a bicycle to commute to work, she already has a regular hybrid and her work aint that far. She is interested in electric bikes and folding ones.
2) Myself i mainly use my entry level road bicycle to work out and go places, i would like something akin to a Gravel/All-road electric bike. Also i'm getting one so i dont steal my wife's.

Our combined budget is maybe 5000?

With general requirements like that you can get any ebike in the 1.5k-2.5k range. See if you have a local ebike shop.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Ride1up lmt'd. Good enough for the hills around here which was the goal.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ElMaligno posted:

Knowing actual ranges and expected speeds will help narrow down what will work. Since your wife can already commute on a motorless bike, then she has a lot of options and you can nitpick.

Hilliness might be another consideration since it would determine how much torque you need and of a mid-drive would be better.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

kimbo305 posted:

Can you be specific? Are you saying she might possibly do the commute on a normal bike?

yes, but she is currently recovering from her broken ankle surgery. I suggested an electric bicycle and she is intrigued as she likes electric vehicles. I suggested a foldable bike as she could take it inside her work and she likes the idea. i need to probe her more to see what she would prefer as her actual bike. I showed her some Voltbikes and I think she liked the Elegand more than the mariner.

stephenthinkpad posted:

With general requirements like that you can get any ebike in the 1.5k-2.5k range. See if you have a local ebike shop.

WE have a local bike shop that sells ebikes.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Knowing actual ranges and expected speeds will help narrow down what will work. Since your wife can already commute on a motorless bike, then she has a lot of options and you can nitpick.

Hilliness might be another consideration since it would determine how much torque you need and of a mid-drive would be better.

She has two routes, they are both short (1 miles or 3 miles) the main difference is that the shorter one Up a hill then down the same hill. She used to walk to work, but pandemic and a broken ankle kinda brought that to a halt.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Local bike shop is always a good choice, because you can get them to fix it if things break.

Regarding the ankle thing, I totally hosed over my ankle about 9 years ago and bicycling has been great. I'm sure it'll get easier for her as she heals. 1-3 miles is a really easy distance for an e-bike.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
If you don't want to paddle, get an ebike with rear hub motor which should have a throttle. That's what you want.

Edit, 1 mile? Just walk. Or get the cheapest scooter.

stephenthinkpad fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Sep 17, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

ElMaligno posted:

She has two routes, they are both short (1 miles or 3 miles) the main difference is that the shorter one Up a hill then down the same hill. She used to walk to work, but pandemic and a broken ankle kinda brought that to a halt.
Is she not supposed to use that ankle at all?

Both distances are going to be doable with a thumb throttle by just about any bike with 300+wH battery, which is a really small battery. The issue comes with that hill and her ankle. If it has to be able to take her up that hill without any help and without her hoofing it, then the hill becomes an issue. I'm going to bet though that you need a 48V setup for the hill; a 36V setup is probably going to struggle in general. Yes, it's a function of wattage, but I saw a few bikes that give it away when they talk about using 36V. In terms of watts, you probably don't want a 250W motor, but 500+W will be safe. I would be uncomfortable recommending 350W just throttling it up a hill.

This would be the kind of situation where you'd normally not buy something longer term for a shorter term problem, but the kind of bike that can take that hill unassisted is the type that you can go on longer rides later with the healed ankle, so I wouldn't compromise on it.

Since you could shop this locally, you can pretty much go in and give this literal problem. Any good shop should back a claim about a nearby hill and accept the bike back if it just couldn't do it.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Is she not supposed to use that ankle at all?

Both distances are going to be doable with a thumb throttle by just about any bike with 300+wH battery, which is a really small battery. The issue comes with that hill and her ankle. If it has to be able to take her up that hill without any help and without her hoofing it, then the hill becomes an issue. I'm going to bet though that you need a 48V setup for the hill; a 36V setup is probably going to struggle in general. Yes, it's a function of wattage, but I saw a few bikes that give it away when they talk about using 36V. In terms of watts, you probably don't want a 250W motor, but 500+W will be safe. I would be uncomfortable recommending 350W just throttling it up a hill.

This would be the kind of situation where you'd normally not buy something longer term for a shorter term problem, but the kind of bike that can take that hill unassisted is the type that you can go on longer rides later with the healed ankle, so I wouldn't compromise on it.

Since you could shop this locally, you can pretty much go in and give this literal problem. Any good shop should back a claim about a nearby hill and accept the bike back if it just couldn't do it.

She is still using crutches for at least 2 more weeks, but thank you. I talked to her a little bit before i got to work and she likes foldable bikes, but she didnt like the way the Mariner/Urban Voltbikes look, but she does like the Elegant.

Also I do like their Yukon 750, so we'll see...

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Checkout these 2 folders: Ejoe Epik SE and Brompton Electric. I was going to recommand Evelo quest Max but they discontinued it.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
So I have to go to work to exchange my work laptop, that means I have to ride my bike for the first time in 6 months. I brought it out and inflated the tires (front was completely flat but rear still half full) lubed the chain and What not. I don't know if my 2 year old slim tube can hold up but I decide to use them a few more times. After the maintanence I put my kid in the childseat and gave him a ride.

Long story short I broke my aftermarket double stand. I didn't know it was possible to break a pink-finger thick stand leg. It happened like this. I heard some noise in the rear, so I stop and put the bike on the center stand, lift the rear wheel up so I could push the paddle and check; I found nothing so I turn on the power and ran the hub motor for a bit; still found nothing so I turn off the power and let the rear wheel drop to the ground. At this point the rear wheel had no power and it was just running on inertia. But the inertia was strong enough that when the rear wheel touch ground it gave the stand a big rush and broke one of the legs.

So that's my WFH ebike story.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

My Thursday:

https://youtu.be/V9wPNbxL_W4

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I think my house caught on fire after watching that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Is That a geared hub motor or a direct drive motor? I hope your phone is okay at the end of the video?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Is That a geared hub motor or a direct drive motor? I hope your phone is okay at the end of the video?
Direct drive. I managed to avoid breaking anything expensive.

I had a twist throttle that came apart when I leaned back. Turn out hall effect throttles stick at half power when you take away the magnets.

For some context, I've been working through some ideas for getting a cargo Carla knockoff built with some custom dimensions. I already have access to a bikes-at-work trailer, so I just bolted the front end to that to work out kinks before getting some help fabricating the frame.

I still need to figure out the surge brakes and a failsafe to kill the throttle if anything fucks up. Just a brake cable attached directly to a telescoping pull bar does not offer enough mechanical advantage.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

It actually handled pretty well on level ground.

Buuuut without any input dampening on the throttle, going uphill was like pulling a 100lb yoyo.
https://youtu.be/ULlNrZ3wYs0

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Are you powering the eChariot with a generator?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Are you powering the eChariot with a generator?
Only in the sense that every electric motor is also a generator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

rode 31 miles today, 35 yesterday. it's like i'm in college again. all hail ebikes!!!