Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

Platystemon posted:

Kona jacked up the MSRP on the bikes to game the sale price.

Sad!

patterning off the cycling clothing industry, i guess minus the strava codes (so far)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

hark posted:

If you end up wanting to pull the trigger on a project, feel free to dm me with questions. I'm no expert, but I found a lot of info through trial, error, and incessant digging.

Thanks for all the info, that'll be super helpful if I do get around to it.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
It might be helpful to check if you have any makerspaces near you, both for equipment and expertise.

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

hark posted:

I know this looks like poo poo lol

But I am excited because I just got done building my first ebike battery for a stealth bomber clone I'm also building.

It's 60v 24ah (16s6p Samsung 40t 21700 cells) so it's capable of a pretty decent amount of power, but I'm gonna be running a 48v 1500w hub motor with it, so I shouldn't be getting above 30a continuous in an ideal world.
Here it is. I'm going to wrap the whole thing in heat shrink once I do a full charge cycle. The BMS is Bluetooth so I can monitor charging and discharging.

This is super cool. Do you have any general plans for a bike frame/drivetrain etc, and how you're going to mount or house the battery? Also curious about the motor choice. A hub motor is easier to mount and interface but since there are a lot of options I am wondering if this is because you already have a frame to build up from, or if there is something obvious I am missing. Does the motor option include the controller/wiring/display? (I have a bit of an industry background but I know very little about the electrical side of ebikes other than what basic diagnostics and what plugs into what because every major brand just has their own plug and play proprietary parts and batteries and all any customer cares about is power, legality and whether or not they have a throttle)

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Huggybear posted:

This is super cool. Do you have any general plans for a bike frame/drivetrain etc, and how you're going to mount or house the battery? Also curious about the motor choice. A hub motor is easier to mount and interface but since there are a lot of options I am wondering if this is because you already have a frame to build up from, or if there is something obvious I am missing. Does the motor option include the controller/wiring/display? (I have a bit of an industry background but I know very little about the electrical side of ebikes other than what basic diagnostics and what plugs into what because every major brand just has their own plug and play proprietary parts and batteries and all any customer cares about is power, legality and whether or not they have a throttle)

I got this stealth bomber Chinese clone frame that is basically identical to this one

Hub motor I got as part of a kit with controller, display, and throttle, so all those parts will play nicely together. I already tested them once I finished that battery and as far as I could tell, after changing the controller settings to accept 60v, everything was working fine. Got the phase wires from hub motor connected and throttled and it spun. I just have to physically put everything together now and I should be set to ride.

Battery controller and eventually dc-dc step down converter all live in the center cavity. I'm gonna add running, brake, and headlights, and front and rear turn signals at some point in the next month or so.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep
^Took this project to a huge cemetery and got it up to 32mph pretty easily which was extremely fun. still only have mechanical disc brakes until I can get a hydraulic disc bleed kit. It's -25 here with wind-chill right now though so I'm probably gonna be shelving this for the foreseeable future til it's warm enough to ride again.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Shifter cable busted at handlebar on my Tern HSD. I’m able to handle most maintenance including adjusting derailers but is changing the cable a DIY friendly fix or am I better taking it in. It’s probably time to have the computer firmware updated as well I’m just trying to avoid shop costs.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

It’s pretty easy to replace cables, unless it exploded inside the shifter then it might be a pain to get the old one out

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The inconvenience is the rubber spiral loom that gathers the cables together. If you're lazy, you could feed just the cable through. If not, it'll take a extra few minutes to pull the old housing and thread/wrap the replacement through. Iirc, the cables are entirely externally routed, though some of the wires go into the mid drive housing. It's all pretty intuitive, though.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
Great, thanks for the info. I figured it’s something I can handle but this bike is far more expensive and complicated than my Karate Monkey.

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Boston is truly where it all began. Join me in continuing this bold endeavor, so that future generations can say 'this is where the promise was fulfilled.'
Well, poo poo. After a few months of no use (stored inside) I charged my e-bike battery to full, and then the next day it showed half empty without any use. I assume I'm out $580 on that one?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Might just need a conditioning cycle. Check your manual, mine says to let it sit on the charger overnight (or ~12 hours), use it a bit the next day, then repeat two more times.

If it's going to sit unused for extended periods in the future, store it around 50-70% charge and check on it every couple weeks or so to make sure it's not dropping to zero (putting it on to charge again for a bit if needed).

Airconswitch
Aug 23, 2010

Yeah, nothing about that in the manual; it says specifically not to connect it to the charger for extended periods of time. It mentions that if it is less than 30% charge for an extended period, it can be damaged, but it didn't show that before I charged it.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
If you are really lucky there's something wrong with your charger, and you didn't actually charge the pack like you thought you did.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Invalido posted:

If you are really lucky there's something wrong with your charger, and you didn't actually charge the pack like you thought you did.

That was my guess when reading it as well.

I put new calipers on my cargo ebike, and it was worth every penny. I have a ton more confidence in riding around now that I can stop much more quickly. Also the squealing noise is gone!

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Just hit 100 miles on my Aventon Abound mostly taking the 3 year old to the beach. Now with daycare starting for the little one (9 months) and preschool for the 3 year old, looking forward to the ebike dropoffs and avoiding the traffic :).

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Evil Robot posted:

looking forward to the ebike dropoffs and avoiding the traffic :).
This is the way. Kids + ebikes = fun on a bun and you can park ANYWHERE. I miss the era when my kids were riding double to and from in the bakfiets on the daily. I spent last winter refurbishing that thing but didn't get it quite where I wanted it until a year later. With the brakes finally sorted and new bottom bracket+pedals making everything feel tight and confidence inspiring it's a local errand weapon! Only one kid in the box at a time these days though, they grow fast.

I just 3d printed my very first bike part ever. It's just a brake lever-to-magnet adapter for the brake switch that I found on Thingiverse that would let me make its sensitivity adjustable via a bolt, will have to see how it works.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Evil Robot posted:

Just hit 100 miles on my Aventon Abound mostly taking the 3 year old to the beach. Now with daycare starting for the little one (9 months) and preschool for the 3 year old, looking forward to the ebike dropoffs and avoiding the traffic :).
Awesome! Might not hurt to check with both the daycare and the school as there are places so carbrained that they might report you for drivers endangering your children or otherwise reject the dropoff.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
Naw this is California and I've seen RadWagons already doing dropoffs. Appreciate the concern though :)

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Nocheez posted:

That was my guess when reading it as well.

I put new calipers on my cargo ebike, and it was worth every penny. I have a ton more confidence in riding around now that I can stop much more quickly. Also the squealing noise is gone!

I didn't even know they still made these. I've seen a few sets locally purchased used to upgrade the mechanical discs that specifically come stock on value-priced cargo e-bikes. Nice that it's an option, nothing wrong with them. I find a third hand tool can help to really get these set up crisply if you like monkeying around with stuff.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

I’ve read through the whole thread and now ready to ask if I’m on the right path here.

I’m in the market for a commuter. I live in DC and try to ride year round. Right now I do it on a Craigslist special, 3-4 days a week. The commute is about 5 miles each way with minor hills, as a mix of bike lanes, trails, and in-traffic riding (some days I’ve opted for a bike share ebike at 10c/minute and loved the ride).

I don’t think I want a step through, since I’ll have to carry the bike up/down a few steps every day (bike weight is not a concern). There’s a chance I’d eventually have to do a commute that’s closer to 10 miles each way, but I have no issue charging the battery in my office if need be.

My budget started at $2,000 but after reading this thread I’m now eyeing the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB which is on sale for $3,999. A LMB has it in stock as well.

Am I thinking about this right? I’ll probably try to test ride it in a week or two.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

I don’t think I want a step through, since I’ll have to carry the bike up/down a few steps every day (bike weight is not a concern).

Optimal carrying geometry/posture can vary a lot. For a middrive that's not too rear heavy, you might be able to grab it low down on the seat tube and keep your arm mostly straight.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
I can't be the only guy who uses the throttle lightly to get the ebike up steps, right? I've never done more than one at a time, so I don't know if this works as an option for you.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

The HSD P5i here: https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/hsd-p5i

The new generation HSD is launching with 4 options:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/472/hsd
  • Enviolo hub with 380% range for $5,500
  • 5 speed Nexus hub for $4,600
  • 10 speed Deore for $4,300
  • 11 speed Deore for $4,900 with a class 3 motor, the rest are class 1

I have no idea what to make of the Enviolo hub and don't think I value it at an extra $1,000, especially because it's 2kg heavier. The belt drive is interesting on a commuter bike that gets used in the rain, but I'm a little skeptical of an IGH with a mid-drive bike and wonder if I'm going to break it by shifting under load from the motor continuing to deliver torque for a moment while I pause pedaling. My reference here is a Rad Power, which has a really disappointing cadence sensor, so maybe that's not an issue!

I have the Enviolo hub on my Gazelle C380 with a belt drive and it rules. Being able to shift

Neon Belly posted:

I’ve read through the whole thread and now ready to ask if I’m on the right path here.

I’m in the market for a commuter. I live in DC and try to ride year round. Right now I do it on a Craigslist special, 3-4 days a week. The commute is about 5 miles each way with minor hills, as a mix of bike lanes, trails, and in-traffic riding (some days I’ve opted for a bike share ebike at 10c/minute and loved the ride).

I don’t think I want a step through, since I’ll have to carry the bike up/down a few steps every day (bike weight is not a concern). There’s a chance I’d eventually have to do a commute that’s closer to 10 miles each way, but I have no issue charging the battery in my office if need be.

My budget started at $2,000 but after reading this thread I’m now eyeing the Gazelle Ultimate C380+ HMB which is on sale for $3,999. A LMB has it in stock as well.

Am I thinking about this right? I’ll probably try to test ride it in a week or two.

I have the Ultimate C380 step through version and it is an awesome bike. That's a great price for the +. I think for that length commute it would be fine. Definitely test ride and make sure it feels good. I can't wait to get out on mine again for my commute once it becomes spring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

I can't be the only guy who uses the throttle lightly to get the ebike up steps, right? I've never done more than one at a time, so I don't know if this works as an option for you.
Especially out of the US most ebikes don't come with throttles.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost

evil_bunnY posted:

Interesting! Does it have a walk mode? Mine does, but the throttle is easier to modulate.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

evil_bunnY posted:

Next you're going to tell me that 750W motors aren't the default, most common option!

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

kimbo305 posted:

Optimal carrying geometry/posture can vary a lot. For a middrive that's not too rear heavy, you might be able to grab it low down on the seat tube and keep your arm mostly straight.

Fair point, I didn't consider how the weight balance changes by the battery/motor. It won't be a lot of steps so I wasn't planning on putting the top tube on my shoulder, just need two good spots to grab hold for a few seconds.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
My cargo bike has a walk mode but it's kind of annoying to engage and I don't really find it very useful anyway. Maybe if I had to push it up a hill for some reason.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
My cargo bike has a throttle, I use it all the time when walking the bike. An on/off switch would maybe be less useful but i'm lazy enough that I would probably use that if it was what I had. I'm either too lazy or not lazy enough to hook up the reverse function on the esc to an unused suitable switch I already have on the handlebars though. I guess I foresee a potential safety issue there so best not I think.

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

Hello! I've recently picked up a new bike, the Okai Ranger Eb50 and I'm in love! I have a Cty 2.1 from REI that I've used extensively but this new bike allows me to go three times the distance for the effort put in. Plus the integrated running lights and LCD controller are pretty cool too.

Extremely pleased so far and my wife is looking for one after riding it once.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Posigniat posted:

Hello! I've recently picked up a new bike, the Okai Ranger Eb50 and I'm in love!

Is there only one size? Quick google search didn’t turn up a geo chart.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

Posigniat posted:

Hello! I've recently picked up a new bike, the Okai Ranger Eb50 and I'm in love! I have a Cty 2.1 from REI that I've used extensively but this new bike allows me to go three times the distance for the effort put in. Plus the integrated running lights and LCD controller are pretty cool too.

Extremely pleased so far and my wife is looking for one after riding it once.

Neat

Posigniat
May 31, 2011

kimbo305 posted:

Is there only one size? Quick google search didn’t turn up a geo chart.

I'm not sure, I bought it off the best buy website sight unseen. It fits my 5' 11" frame without any issue and my wife sits at 5' 7" and could get seated on it well. It's a big(82 lbs) bike though.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Nocheez posted:

Interesting! Does it have a walk mode? Mine does, but the throttle is easier to modulate.
Most have a walk assist yeah. Mine doesn’t because I use a non-typical controller that’s cheaper to replace.

Twerk from Home posted:

Next you're going to tell me that 750W motors aren't the default, most common option!
those are mopeds HTH

Invalido posted:

My cargo bike has a throttle, I use it all the time when walking the bike. An on/off switch would maybe be less useful but i'm lazy enough that I would probably use that if it was what I had. I'm either too lazy or not lazy enough to hook up the reverse function on the esc to an unused suitable switch I already have on the handlebars though. I guess I foresee a potential safety issue there so best not I think.
pretty sure neither your bike nor your assist system are off the shelf 😄

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Feb 11, 2024

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

evil_bunnY posted:

pretty sure neither your bike nor your assist system are off the shelf 😄
Decidedly not. I mean the electrical gubbins are mainly off some kind of shelf. All sorts of shelves. It's taken a long time and a lot of effort to get everything to work well, if I were to get into e-bikes today I'd probably just buy off the shelf like everyone else. A decade ago when I started e-biking it wasn't really an option, at least not for what I wanted.

I took the box bike down on the lake for some tour skating today. The ice was surprisingly good even if the weather was gloomy and a bit windy (skating into a headwind kind of sucks.)

Front wheel motor with a lot of wheel spin leads to some funky spray patterns. This new fender could use an extension flap for rain (though it sprays mostly on the underside of the box so not really a big deal), but it would do nothing about the snow that sprays forward from the wheel before I run into it. I have to say though, if you're gonna have a drive wheel on a bike spinning in low friction conditions, front wheel spin is preferable to real wheel spin - much more directional stability that way.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I loving hate how the forward spray cakes the entire front end of my cargo bike too. I've got a flap for the bottom but nobody makes a 20" fender with enough front coverage.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

I loving hate how the forward spray cakes the entire front end of my cargo bike too. I've got a flap for the bottom but nobody makes a 20" fender with enough front coverage.

Could you get a 26” fat bike fender and curl it tighter?
The Rad Runner has 20x3.3 and these fenders:
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-full-fenders

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I suppose modding a rear fender to sit up front should be doable. A full 180 degree coverage is probably a bad idea though - it's easy to bump into things with the front wheel when parking close to walls and so on. Ice speedway bikes have great coverage on their front fenders but I'm guessing it's not just to protect riders from spray but also other things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Could you get a 26” fat bike fender and curl it tighter?
The Rad Runner has 20x3.3 and these fenders:
https://www.radpowerbikes.com/products/radrunner-full-fenders
That's a good idea but they're not sold here. At some point I'll lose my cool and adapt a rear 20" fender but today's not the day.